bananaboy

Cruise Ship Evacuated Off Greece

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:07 am

BBC are reporting that a cruise ship has run aground and is taking on water. It has occured near the island of Santorini, with 1600 passengers and crew on board. The ship concerned is the Louis Lines Sea Diamond.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6530475.stm

The Louis Cruise Lines website ( http://www.louiscruises.com ) is understandably busy, but there is some information on the ship here...http://www.gate1travel.com/cruises/ships/louis_SeaDiamond.htm

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

EK20

RE: Cruise Ship Evacuated Off Greece

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:31 am

It's the same company that owns the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel in Corfu where 2 children were found dead in their hotel room as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from the room's gas boiler and air-conditioning.

Doesn't say much for their reputation does it?!

flashflyguy

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
Louis Cruise Lines...wasn't that the cruise line that lost a ship back in the 90's when the captain and all the crew got on a life raft and left all the passengers to fend for themselves?

That was Epirotiki Lines and the OCEANOS disaster in 1991.

FFG

EK20

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:50 am

It's the same company that own the Corcyra Palace Hotel in Corfu where two children were found dead in their hotel room as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from faulty air conditioning and boiler system.

Doesn't say much for their reputation does it?!

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
Louis Cruise Lines...wasn't that the cruise line that lost a ship back in the 90's when the captain and all the crew got on a life raft and left all the passengers to fend for themselves?

No that was the "Oceanos" that sank off the Wild Coast in SA - it was run by a Greek company, I forget the name.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:01 pm

The ship has sunk, two passengers are missing.

SANTORINI, Greece Apr 6, 2007 (AP)— Two French passengers were reported missing Friday following the rescue of nearly 1,600 people from a Greek cruise ship that struck rocks and sank off this holiday island.

Authorities said two French passengers a 45 year-old man and his 16-year-old daughter had still not been accounted for, and lists of rescued passengers were being rechecked.

The Sea Diamond sank shortly before 7 a.m. Friday, 15 hours after the accident occurred and the ship began listing and taking on water.

[. . .]

Source: ABCNews

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Sukhoi

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:05 am

It was built in Finland, in Sweden the name of the ship was Birka Princess only two persons missing of 1600 hundred that ´s great.

noelg

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:22 am

Having been on a Greek ferry twice, this sort of thing doesn't surprise me. The Greeks have quite a shoddy maritime safety record, and seeing the way they acted on our ferry (Zakynthos-Kefallonia return), it's not difficult to see why.

The ferry was falling to pieces for one. I walked up to the bridge where the crew were smoking, with their feet up watching TV. The car deck doors were opened while we were still at sea before we arrived in the port. Definitely one of the most scary trips I've had on a ferry and one of the reasons I will not travel on ferries anywhere any more!

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting Noelg (Reply 7):
Noelg From United Kingdom

Quoting Noelg (Reply 7):
I will not travel on ferries anywhere any more!

How do you get to the rest of Europe?  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

A340600

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 8):
How do you get to the rest of Europe?

Maybe he flies? Wink
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 9):
Maybe he flies?

And if he wants to bring his car?  Smile Other than the Chunnel there aren't too many ways from that island of yours  duck 

andaman

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Sukhoi (Reply 6):
It was built in Finland, in Sweden the name of the ship was Birka Princess only two persons missing of 1600 hundred that ´s great.

Spooky, it looked so 'baltic'. A popular soap up here in north was filmed on it
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

PPVRA

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):

That firs pic. . . wow, that is a very deep area!! Right next to land and it engulfed the entire cruise ship!!

I wonder why they couldn't save it. . . didn't look so bad at first.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 11):
Spooky, it looked so 'baltic'. A popular soap up here in north was filmed on it

Wow, I never knew it was M/S Freja.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 12):
That firs pic. . . wow, that is a very deep area!! Right next to land and it engulfed the entire cruise ship!!

That is true, I didn't even think of that. Steep dropoff indeed.

gkirk

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):
The ship has sunk

Authorities are already tracing whether JGPH1A had anything to do with the sinking...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:01 am

Video of the ship sinking:

SVT

noelg

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 8):

How do you get to the rest of Europe?

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 10):
And if he wants to bring his car? Other than the Chunnel there aren't too many ways from that island of yours

If we do go to the continent (on the rare occasion) we normally fly over and either hire a car there or use public transport.

If we ever did drive we would take the tunnel - it's the easiest way, just drive down to the coast, drive on, short train ride, drive off again! Easy as pie!

That video is very scary - apparently there are still two missing Sad

United_fan

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:33 am

Wow,I hope they salvage her,what a waste.........
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

MCOflyer

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 17):

Agreed. What a fine ship. Was the Captain greek?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

PPVRA

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:40 pm

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 17):

It's a tad late now, I'm afraid. . .
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

57AZ

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Part of the problem lies in allowing ships to fly "flags of convienance". Thus a ship calling at ports in the UK and US flying a Greek flag does not have to comply with all of the regs that a UK or US registered ship would. Probably the safest cruise vessels in North America are the Delta Queen, Mississippi Queen and American Queen-all operating on inland waterways and US flagged. When I lived in Tennessee, the folks in Nashville launched the General Jackson showboat. It's entry into service was delayed as there was a dispute between the owners and US Coast Guard concerning the number of lifejackets and manner of stowage. In the end, the owners did things the Coast Guard way as the Coasties refused to license the ship until the issues were resolved.

Then there's the matter of the old Delta Queen. Several times the Safety at Sea Act threatened to dock her permanently due to her wooden superstructure. Of all of the tourist boats, she is probably the safest excursion boat still running. She has been retrofitted with modern firefighting systems continually and is maintained in top working order. All deck and engineering officers are USCG licensed. She handles a bit differently than most boats on the river as she is one of the last that does not have direct control of the engines from the pilothouse. Instead, the pilot communicates engine direction and speed changes to the chief engineer on duty in the engineroom via the mechanical engine room telegraph. That adds a good amount of lead time from the time that a change is requested to the time that the change takes place under the best of circumstances-usually something like 30 seconds to a full minute.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

United_fan

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:24 pm

Do you think they'll let it stay there ? Isn't it a hazard to the environment and other ships ? I'de like to see it salvaged...

MCOflyer

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 21):
Do you think they'll let it stay there ? Isn't it a hazard to the environment and other ships ? I'de like to see it salvaged...

Has that been done before?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

andz

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 18):
Was the Captain greek

Yes and has been charged with causing a shipwreck.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):
No that was the "Oceanos" that sank off the Wild Coast in SA - it was run by a Greek company, I forget the name

Epirotiki Lines

I remember when the Oceanos sank, SAA's safety team was involved and my wife was manning a phone line for relatives to contact for passenger information.

There were many stories about the crew abandoning ship and leaving the passengers to their own devices. Jokes abounded such as: "what is the Greek command to abandon ship? " "okay me first!"

Luckily not one person lost their life in that disaster.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

L-188

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting Noelg (Reply 7):
I've had on a ferry and one of the reasons I will not travel on ferries anywhere any more!

I hope if you ever come to Alaska you reconsider that posistion and take a trip on the Alaska Marine Highway system, it is a very well run system, even more so now that Robin Taylor was given his walking papers.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html

Quoting Andz (Reply 23):
Luckily not one person lost their life in that disaster.

Luck being the key word, How long after the last person go off, did that boat go down?

I can only hope people went to jail over that one.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

SK A340

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:18 pm

RIP "MS Freja"

/Micke

andz

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:27 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 24):
How long after the last person go off, did that boat go down?

The ship was gone long before everyone was accounted for but the air force and other vessels picked up everyone who had gone overboard.

check this out:
http://www.allatsea.co.za/shipwrecks/oceanoswreck.htm
http://www.benthic.ca/report.cfm?report=31
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

kmh1956

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:57 am

My daughter and I were in Santorini last year on a cruise (not the same cruise line) and I'm trying to figure out exactly where this ship sank. When we were there, all the cruise ships dropped anchor in the harbor and the passengers tendered to shore. I keep reading that this ship was going to dock....where? The dock area where we were certainly didn't seem deep enough for a ship of that size....maybe there's another dock area?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

ZBBYLW

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 27):
area where we were certainly didn't seem deep enough for a

From seeing pictures and videos it looks like right underneath Thia (town and spelling is probably wrong) right in the Bay, when I came in on a Celebrity cruise that is exactly where we stopped and I knew the area right away from the pictures. Does anyone know how deep the area is, I imagine it is going to be tough to get ships in and out of there if it is not to deep.
Keep the shinny side up!

United_fan

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:22 am

I was just wondering if the ship had water-tight compartments? Or,was the slice too long ?

RayChuang

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:46 pm

I remember reading online that there was much panic during the ship's evacuation and chances are REALLY good that the ship's crew didn't bother to close all the watertight compartment doors correctly. If that is the case the captain of the Sea Diamond is going to face lot of charges of negligence.