tonytifao

Stupid Immigration Questions In The US

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:15 am

My last two times at immigration in MIA:

1) Why do you go to Brasil every month if you are not working there? How can you afford?
I told I had a girlfriend in Brazil. Then she asked: "Why don't you find a gf in the US?"

2) My passport was not enough to let me in the country, had to show my FL driver's license, take off my cap after he looked at me for literally 2 mins. Very rude immigration officer.

Did anyone ever get questions like this or been treated this way? I have dual citizenship US/BR and I just wonder how foreigners are treated when they come to the US.

AsstChiefMark

RE: Stupid Immigration Questions In The US

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:34 am

She's using more than your answers to judge you. She's using your body language, voice inflection, emotions, and eye movements to determine if you're up to no good.

Flying to Brazil once a month to see your girlfriend DOES sound a little fishy. Most people wouldn't do that.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MDorBust

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 1):
She's using more than your answers to judge you. She's using your body language, voice inflection, emotions, and eye movements to determine if you're up to no good.

checkmark 

The answers to the stupid questions aren't really important. It's just to trip up people who are up to no good.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

AirCop

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:43 am

And don't be surprised if you end up on some watch list with the Department of Homeland Security.

JAL777

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:57 am

I knew a guy who flew to South America every few weeks to visit a girlfriend too. He's currently incarcerated for drug trafficking.

Don't mind customs officers... they all tend to be ass holes no matter where you go.

Scooter01

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting Tonytifao (Thread starter):
take off my cap

You do not wear a cap on your passport / driver's licence pictures, do you?

And contrary to popular belief, wearing a cap or hat indoors isn't quite proper.  old 
(this goes for a certain moderator too)  duck 

Scooter
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

soups

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:05 pm

i was asked:
How come you are white and you are from Ghana....
i simply replied:
How come you are black and from the USA?
No more question asked
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:15 pm

How can you afford?

Answer honestly.

"Why don't you find a gf in the US?"

"Because she's GREAT in bed!" (Say it just a tad louder than normal, enough to call attention to an inappropriate question two or three people away without causing a scene, and with a big grin on your face.)

Did anyone ever get questions like this or been treated this way?

I was once asked how I intended to support myself while entering the UK, and said I would be staying in excess of three months, but had no onward ticket booked yet. I told the truth, and was let in without any further delay.

The officer isn't going to want to be bothered with extra time and paperwork if he/she doesn't think there's going to be any benefit from it. Don't give them any reason to believe there would be.
International Homo of Mystery

Doona

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 2):
The answers to the stupid questions aren't really important. It's just to trip up people who are up to no good.

That's what I always figured. Still doesn't explain the immorality-question on the back of the I-94...  Confused

Quoting Soups (Reply 6):
i was asked:
i simply replied:
No more question asked

rotfl 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

cabso1

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:26 pm

My dad was once questioned for a half an hour and he was taken out of the regular lines. Sometimes the only answer to why they have the stupid immigration questions is paranoia.

Quoting Soups (Reply 6):
i was asked:
i simply replied:
No more question asked

ROTFL!! Superb Answer!!

ryangooner

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:37 pm

I love the questions US customs come up with.....

I was asked "Why do you go to thailand every year!"

My Reply " I like it "

No more questions! , If there were a more sinister reason do you think we are going to tell you honestly!!!??

Respect to them though, we all have jobs to do....

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

cxsjr

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:40 pm

just wonder how foreigners are treated when they come to the US

From my own personal experiences, I've passed into the U.S through 10 different airports and three different road entries on 23 occasions and I'm always pleasant and polite: only once was I treated with the level of respect or dignity I should expect and that was at EWR just three weeks after 9/11. I was passing through with my Mum and my sister and the immigration officer was an example for all others to follow, making us feel at ease and treating us like fellow human beings! The rest of the time, officers are generally rude or at best, indifferent ....

IMHO, there's no need to treat every person like a potential criminal or terrorist; they should be pleasant and polite unless something about the individual gives them cuase to be otherwise. Remember, if there were no immigrants, they'd have no jobs!

I am well travelled and I have personally cut back my trips to the U.S purely for this reason so they're losing tourist $$$'s as I know others who feel similarly.
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

andz

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:52 pm

The questions on the immigration form are laughable, I mean, does the average traveller know what "moral turpitude" is? And yes, I am going to admit to my Nazi activities of nearly 70 years ago!

I was asked why I have a British passport issued in Johannesburg. I replied "because that's where I live".
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

pilotdude09

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:57 pm

When we went through immigration at LAX the guy was really friendly

him: What have you come here for and why? really sternly

us: Family holiday

him: awesome, well now you all gotta chuck youre fingers on the scanner and i have to take a photo for my albumn of you's

us: no worries

He was pretty good, i had heard really bad stories but this guy was cool, the guy next to us wasnt he was screaming at a lady with a babie who had come in on the mexicana flight cause she didnt have a passport for the babie and she wasn in teasrs and he kept yelling!
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:38 pm

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 10):
I was asked "Why do you go to thailand every year!"

My Reply " I like it "

Nothing to do with lady-boys then ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jush

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:21 pm

Quoting Soups (Reply 6):
No more question asked

There's no better reply.!!!! Fantastic

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Emirates029

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:01 pm

I find it really strange how US citizens get interrogated when they go back to the US. In Europe, UK/EU passport holders are not asked anything, your passport is not even stamped, just glanced at and scanned. I think I'd do a double take if the immigration officer ever asked me a question!
Interesting difference between Europe and the US. Wonder how other countries in the world treat their citizens at passport control?

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting Emirates029 (Reply 16):
I find it really strange how US citizens get interrogated when they go back to the US. In Europe, UK/EU passport holders are not asked anything, your passport is not even stamped, just glanced at and scanned. I think I'd do a double take if the immigration officer ever asked me a question!
Interesting difference between Europe and the US. Wonder how other countries in the world treat their citizens at passport control?

Yeah, they wait for us at customs instead to see if we got one bottle too many at the duty free store  Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

CaptOveur

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Why don't you find a gf in the US?

Clearly the official in question has never seen what seems to be the fairly typical Brazilian girl (friggin hot).

I still maintain that dressing respectably makes your life easier going through an airport. The frat boys in flip flops and shorts are going to have a much harder time than someone of the same age dressed business casual or better.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

halls120

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 11):
From my own personal experiences, I've passed into the U.S through 10 different airports and three different road entries on 23 occasions and I'm always pleasant and polite: only once was I treated with the level of respect or dignity I should expect and that was at EWR just three weeks after 9/11. I was passing through with my Mum and my sister and the immigration officer was an example for all others to follow, making us feel at ease and treating us like fellow human beings! The rest of the time, officers are generally rude or at best, indifferent ....

If it makes you feel any better, US citizens are treated just as rudely and indifferently as our foreign visitors.

Keep in mind that many of the CBP officers you encounter have an extreme dislike for their jobs in the "new" Department of Homeland Security. On more than one occasion when traveling on my official passport I've had a former USBP or INS agent now working as a CBP screener ask me what department I work for, and when I respond DOJ, their response is invariably "I wish we were back under DOJ."

The level of unhappiness of DHS employees is directly related to the widespread incompetent management at all levels of the that department.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

LH423

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 18):
The frat boys in flip flops and shorts are going to have a much harder time than someone of the same age dressed business casual or better.

Dressing smart is good, but I recommend losing the suit and tie. So many times I've seen very well-dressed gentlemen get stopped by outbound customs inspections (basically checking to see if anyone is taking more than $10,000 without declaring it) simply because they were dressed "richly".

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

brettbrett21

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:48 am

I know they have a job to do but there is no excuse for rudeness, something I encountered at every airport in the US that I visited recently.

The man at LAX barked at me in no particular language, and everyone kept asking: "Why are you here?!" like I was trespassing on their garden or something.

The best was on my way to Toronto:

Her: "Why are you only here for 3 days?"
Me: "err there's not that much to see!"

Again, no excuse for rudeness!
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

Dougloid

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:49 am

This thread is the thing that wouldn't die.

Perhaps if people would start acting polite and on their best behavior when out in public then maybe they wouldn't offend underpaid and overworked TSA people. After you've listened to the 25th rant of the day from some person who feels entitled and justified because they've been able to charge a plane ticket I imagine it gets old.

And yes....they ARE looking to see what you do, and someone who goes back and forth to latin america on a monthly basis with no other story than they want to see a girl is starting to look more than passing interesting

Where is the give-a-fuck ometer graphic???
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

CMHSRQ

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 18):
Why don't you find a gf in the US?

Clearly the official in question has never seen what seems to be the fairly typical Brazilian girl (friggin hot).

I will second that, the most beautiful women I have ever seen are in Brasil. That is until they get old and hairy, but younger, hot hot hot.

Passing through ATL twice last month the CBP officers were friendly. They have a thankless job. I say the same to them as I say to men and women in military gear. "Thanks for serving"

TSA on the other hand, bunch of idiots.
The voice of moderation

halls120

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:04 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 22):
Perhaps if people would start acting polite and on their best behavior when out in public then maybe they wouldn't offend underpaid and overworked TSA people. After you've listened to the 25th rant of the day from some person who feels entitled and justified because they've been able to charge a plane ticket I imagine it gets old.

I disagree. Unlike the result you get when being nice to an overworked airline CSR, being nice to a DHS employee invariably gets you nothing more than the same rude grunt you get if you are surly and argumentative. While there are exceptions among the front line CBP and TSA employees in the nature of outgoing, friendly and helpful people, most are anything but.

If TSA and CBP employees take their job with expectation the people "owe" them a good attitude, then they took the job with manifestly unrealistic expectations.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Scorpio

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:11 am

Perhaps if people would start acting polite and on their best behavior when out in public then maybe they wouldn't offend underpaid and overworked TSA people.

1) That works both ways, you know...
2) It seems that for some of these immigration officers, the only way not to offend them is by simply not showing up to waste their valuable time...

All in all, that really is no excuse for behaving rudely. Remember this thread is specifically about immigration officers in the US. In many other countries, it seems most are capable of being polite. And they also have to deal with the same crap as those in the US.

Banco

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:20 am

I've had fairly mixed experiences at US immigration. Once or twice they've been wonderfully pleasant and chatty (once at MCO, which is notoriously unwelcoming) other times they haven't been, like the jumped up tosser at Bar Harbor who went through endless questions because I was British, coming in from Canada by ship and had a US visa in my passport (no visa waiver on that route in those days), but I don't think that confined to the US, I've had rude immigration officers in many countries. Sometimes it's understandable - last time I was in New Zealand, it was a work trip, having arrived in Australia three days previously, and was only staying one night before going back to Australia. No wonder she was suspicious.

Equally, many people tell me that British immigration is a bit of a chore. I think what annoys me (and would doubtless annoy an American coming into the UK) is the assumption that you're there to take advantage of the state. Sometimes you just want to tell them that you know, I live in quite a nice country, and frankly I've not the slightest interest in living in the US, so stop treating me like I'm about to move my extended family in when you're not looking.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

raventom

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting Emirates029 (Reply 16):

I was stopped in LGW. I had just landed from HKG and had an onward journey back to MAN. Immigration suspected that I had run away from home. I look about 12 years old but i'm actually 17. Surely if i was running from home i would be flying out of the UK. She starred at me for 2 minutes then let me go.
I love the smell of burnt kerosene!!!!!!!!!!!!

halls120

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 26):
Equally, many people tell me that British immigration is a bit of a chore.

Other than the painfully long lines in the T3 immigration queue, I find the UK immigration process to be very tolerable. While some officers are indifferent, I've never encountered a rude one, and several have been quite chatty and pleasant. Contrast that with the immigration folks in Germany and Austria, who act as if smiling is a fireable offense.

Dougloid

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 25):

All in all, that really is no excuse for behaving rudely. Remember this thread is specifically about immigration officers in the US. In many other countries, it seems most are capable of being polite. And they also have to deal with the same crap as those in the US.

Don't remind me what this thread is about, kiddo, unless you've got some huge fund of expertise and a sampling of all the places you've been where you've been treated like a prince.

The only reason nobody bitches about Belgium is because it's like North Dakota.

Angry  Angry  Angry

smirk smirk.....that oughtta get em riled up in Brussels heehee.

Scorpio

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 29):

And what was it that bit you exactly to warrant such a poisonous response? Any chance of you addressing the points, or are you just going to go for the insults?

IFEMaster

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 13):
the guy next to us wasnt he was screaming at a lady with a babie who had come in on the mexicana flight cause she didnt have a passport for the babie and she wasn in teasrs and he kept yelling!

The problem the officers have is that they spend a large chunk of their day dealing with people who should have done their homework before they left. The lady with the baby? She should have known. Sorry, but that's how it. I doubt she was the first that particular officer had dealt with that day, and frankly, I'd start get a bit annoyed too after the 50 th baby with no passport shows up at my desk.

And yes....they ARE looking to see what you do, and someone who goes back and forth to latin america on a monthly basis with no other story than they want to see a girl is starting to look more than passing interesting

Where is the give-a-fuck ometer graphic???

checkmark 

I've flown in to the US numerous times through numerous airports. Only in BOS have I received attitude from the officers, and I think that was down to them just being Bostonians (some of the rudest people I've met are Bostonians). Most of the time I approach the desk with a smile on my face, greet the officer politely, answer his questions politely, get my passport stamped or my green card swiped, and on I go. Unless I'm being outright insulted, I don't pay much attention to the attitude of the officers, and in fact I'd rather have a stern officer who's taking his job a little too seriously than an officer who's too jovial to the point where he doesn't pay proper attention.

I also love how people tend to single the immigration guys out. Not much mention of the rude people manning the security x-rays, the pissed of CSR's at the gate, the feisty and ignorant F.A.'s etc. My point being that EVERY public-facing position will have people working in it that eventually will have a bad day, or hate their job, or are just angry and bitter people. Suck it up and get on with it.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

disruptivehair

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:57 am

1) Why do you go to Brasil every month if you are not working there? How can you afford?
I told I had a girlfriend in Brazil. Then she asked: "Why don't you find a gf in the US?"

That's a big-time red flag. I'm not surprised she asked you that. I've been hassled by UK immigration myself; it's just part of the game.

Scooter01

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:04 am

I can't honestly say that I have been treated rudely by any US immigration people, they ask questions and that is their purpose.

Arriving in Toronto with my two sons a few years ago, the oldest one was taken aside and asked if I was his father, and where was his mother? Guess they thought they had discovered a child abduction case. (She was flying over a few days later due to work.)

On a more pleasant case, I arrived in Nassau, Bahamas once, and the immigrations officer exclaims in a thundering voice: "AHA, WE MEET AGAIN!" Reacting to the puzzled look on my face he explained: "See, here in your passport is MY stamp from 2 years ago, that's when I was in Bimini" And sure enough, I was there 2 years earlier and the stamps had the same numbers.
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

Dougloid

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 30):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 29):

And what was it that bit you exactly to warrant such a poisonous response? Any chance of you addressing the points, or are you just going to go for the insults?

There really IS a cultural difference between us. It's no more than typical American shop floor humor.

In the words of the immortal Foghorn Leghorn

That's a joke, son.

Big version: Width: 200 Height: 274 File size: 83kb
Foghorn Leghorn

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 31):
My point being that EVERY public-facing position will have people working in it that eventually will have a bad day, or hate their job, or are just angry and bitter people. Suck it up and get on with it.

Absolutely.

Ya know, there are a lot of thin skinned people flying around these days.

Can't ya take a joke, people???

I figured it was going to degenerate into another bash the Americans slagfest.

It's only a matter of time.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'll see you in Fargo.

disruptivehair

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 26):
Equally, many people tell me that British immigration is a bit of a chore. I think what annoys me (and would doubtless annoy an American coming into the UK) is the assumption that you're there to take advantage of the state. Sometimes you just want to tell them that you know, I live in quite a nice country, and frankly I've not the slightest interest in living in the US, so stop treating me like I'm about to move my extended family in when you're not looking.

It most definitely is a chore. I was interrogated more coming in as a tourist than my husband was entering the US for the first time on an IR1 visa. Coming in as a permanent resident visa holder, I'm often questioned for several minutes and asked questions like what's my address, what's my phone number, what do I do for a living, do I enjoy it, etc.

SJCRRPAX

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:30 am

I am a US citizen and the immigration people have always been extremely polite to me, and almost always say something like, "Welcome Home" --- and it seems like they mean it. I always enter through SFO, so maybe that makes a difference. With something like 15 million illegal residents in the USA, I'm kind of glad they give some of you a bad time. I often wondered what the load factor is for certain planes entering and leaving the US. It wouldn't surprise me if certain countries have 100% LF on arrival and 80% on departures. I have never had any problem entering any other country (Canada, Mexico, Italy, China, Taiwan, Japan, UK, France, Germany, ) either, so maybe some of you create your own problems with your attitude?

Scorpio

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 34):
That's a joke, son.

See, 'pop', the thing with jokes is that when you have to actually clarify it was a joke, that usually means the joke sucked. And my response was especially aimed at the first sentence of your post, not the North Dakota thing...

SJCRRPAX

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 37):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 34):
That's a joke, son.

See, 'pop', the thing with jokes is that when you have to actually clarify it was a joke, that usually means the joke sucked. And my response was especially aimed at the first sentence of your post, not the North Dakota thing...

It's a cultural thing, obviously.

"Exit Stage Right..... "

Dougloid

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 37):
See, 'pop', the thing with jokes is that when you have to actually clarify it was a joke, that usually means the joke sucked.

wrong again. all it means is that the butt didn't get it

exit. to Fargo.

ltbewr

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:34 am

As noted previously sometimes you just get a jerk, other times, someone who has to show they are doing their job without showing any prejudice or just trying to trip you up to see if you are legal to enter. I almost never had a hassle re entering the USA, but I have had some rude questions and attitudes upon entry to some other countries. If you look and act in respectable way, your papers are in order, you have a return ticket, enough cash/credit lines, answer reasonably consistantly and what they want to hear, they don't worry.

StarAC17

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 17):
Yeah, they wait for us at customs instead to see if we got one bottle too many at the duty free store Wink

This happens in Canada all the time, coming back from the DR at the start of March I had two 26 oz bottles of Rum and you are only allowed one 40 oz if gone for a week or less and I told my friends and the baggage claim in T3 that I expected to get searched but fortunately it didn't happen as I was over but not by much Big grin.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

PLANAR

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:13 pm

I don't know... with all the stories about how scary US immigration is, I was pretty nervous when I first came to USA.

But everytime ever since, I have always met the most courteous and sweetest immigration officers. They are very polite with me and welcome me to America warmly. In fact there have been quite a few times when I wasn't really asked any questions, just stamped, finger-printed, photographed and a warm "Welcome to America".
Flim-Flam Balderdash...

disruptivehair

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:17 pm

Quoting PLANAR (Reply 42):
I don't know... with all the stories about how scary US immigration is, I was pretty nervous when I first came to USA.

But everytime ever since, I have always met the most courteous and sweetest immigration officers. They are very polite with me and welcome me to America warmly. In fact there have been quite a few times when I wasn't really asked any questions, just stamped, finger-printed, photographed and a warm "Welcome to America".

It's just the haters. They make America sound like the scariest place on earth when it's really not. It's just a regular country with regular people.

JGPH1A

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting Raventom (Reply 27):
I was stopped in LGW. I had just landed from HKG and had an onward journey back to MAN. Immigration suspected that I had run away from home. I look about 12 years old but i'm actually 17. Surely if i was running from home i would be flying out of the UK. She starred at me for 2 minutes then let me go.

So what if you had run away from home, it is not illegal for a child to travel alone, as long as they have a valid passport. She had no cause to detain or question you.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Banco

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 43):
It's just the haters.

Is it hell. You can't respond to every complaint saying it's that, not least when they've taken the trouble to visit the bloody place.  Yeah sure
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:17 pm

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 43):
They make America sound like the scariest place on earth when it's really not.

Having mugshots and fingerprints taken on arrival hardly gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling of welcome - all that's missing is the little board with the numbers on it. The general air of misery, mistrust and suspicion and the feeling that any second now you could be dragged off to a windowless room for the ol' electrodes doesn't help either. Getting through US immigration unscathed always feels like a minor miracle. No other country on Earth treats it's visitors with such distaste, not even China.

brettbrett21

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 46):
Having mugshots and fingerprints taken on arrival hardly gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling of welcome - all that's missing is the little board with the numbers on it. The general air of misery, mistrust and suspicion and the feeling that any second now you could be dragged off to a windowless room for the ol' electrodes doesn't help either. Getting through US immigration unscathed always feels like a minor miracle. No other country on Earth treats it's visitors with such distaste, not even China

All very true but in the end they are doing it for our safety. I don't mind the mugshot or the fingerprinting, what I do mind though is just the general bad attitude. I'd happy drop and give 20 so long as they asked me to do it with a smile and a "please". Good manners cost nothing but count for everything.

To be honest though immigration sucks everywhere. When I entered Melbourne the man saw my England Football shirt and asked what team I supported to which I replied Liverpool and was greeted with a "good boy!". But then the immigration at SYD was pretty much the same unfriendly grunting as in the US.

JGPH1A

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting Brettbrett21 (Reply 47):
All very true but in the end they are doing it for our safety.

Rubbish - if you believe that, there's some swampland in Florida I'd love to sell you. They do it to maintain the illusion that they are doing something, when in reality very little has changed. Do you think those finger prints and mugshots are sent in microseconds to Washington to be checked against a database of known suspects ? They get no further than the hard-drive of the computer on the CBP agent's desk, where they are discarded. It's a complete delusion set up by the DHS to fool the American public into thinking they can actually control who does and doesn't enter the U.S. - the only people it annoys are the foreigners, and who cares about them, right ? Our country, our rules, if they don't like it they can go back to Englandland where they come from.

brettbrett21

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 48):

Rubbish - if you believe that, there's some swampland in Florida I'd love to sell you. They do it to maintain the illusion that they are doing something, when in reality very little has changed. Do you think those finger prints and mugshots are sent in microseconds to Washington to be checked against a database of known suspects ? They get no further than the hard-drive of the computer on the CBP agent's desk, where they are discarded. It's a complete delusion set up by the DHS to fool the American public into thinking they can actually control who does and doesn't enter the U.S. - the only people it annoys are the foreigners, and who cares about them, right ? Our country, our rules, if they don't like it they can go back to Englandland where they come from.

Tin foil hats, grassy knoll, Roswell, 9/11 was fake etc...

While I don't fully disagree with you, I find it hard to believe they are solely doing it just to maintain an illusion. As strange as it might seem to some, governments DO actually care about the well-being of their people, probably less then they care about money and re-elections but at least a little bit!