iowaman

Dumb things that Best Buy Customers say

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:46 pm

So, I've decided most of our customers are absolutely dumb. Here's some of the dumbest I've heard recently:

Do you sell the cable that runs from the printer to the monitor?
Do you have a webcam that has a built in video camera?
Why doesn't my camcorder have a USB Port?
You mean the cheapest computer you have is $350??? That's wayyy too expensive.
You know that song that I heard on the radio in 1958 in Cincinnati called "fill in song name here" do you know if you have it?

Society is absolutely dumb when it comes to electronics.

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Thread starter):

If it takes stills, it certainly should have a USB port, and many do.
International Homo of Mystery

iowaman

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:09 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
If it takes stills, it certainly should have a USB port, and many do.

Correct, however they were wanting the USB Cord but were calling it a USB "port".

Coz

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:10 pm

"Yes, next to the hockey equipment on aisle 17"

Do you have a webcam that has a built in video camera?

"No, but would you be interested in webcams with built in video cameras?"

"If you run fast enough, it's usually free"

Working at BestBuy would be fun.  Smile

iowaman

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:18 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 4):

At our store, we try to contact every person that comes in the store, and believe me, they get treated better than they would at most other stores.

Most those idiots bitching are probably the ones that come in and demand help ASAP. People need to realize we are people too and work our asses off for minimal pay.

diamond

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 5):
People need to realize we are people too and work our asses off for minimal pay.

Your customers are also 'people' and they are coming in to your store to spend their own 'minimal pay.'

Customers aren't getting paid to have product knowledge. Presumably, that's one of the things salespeople are paid to learn and provide.

Also, I'd bet that about 90% of the North Americans on this website are customers of Best Buy for one thing or another. So how do you think your corporate execs in MSP would feel about you coming here, identifying yourself as a Best Buy employee and then bagging on the customer base?

You aren't doing your company any favors here!
Blank.

pilotdude09

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:56 pm

When we were in the US i loved Best Buy, what a cool shop and it was CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! some stuff was over half price compared to Australia i was looking at a laptop that was $1200 cheaper than the exact same one in Australia.

Service was good every store we went to, but all shops in America were friendly comapred to Aussie. You guys must feel majorly ripped off when you come downunder.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

USAFHummer

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:02 pm

Quoting Coz (Reply 3):

Hahahaha!!!

Would you be interested to know what most customers think about the quality of salespeople at Best Buy?

You left out the granddaddy of Best Buy hate sites... http://www.bestbuysux.org/ (actual URL, not a joke)
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Halcyon

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Once a BB guy told me to buy a laptop with the M200 ( I think that is it, but I don't care about integrated graphics.) and he claimed that it would run FSX reasonably well. I was amused. He just kept going on about how great this thing was. Sure, the M200 is better than some int. graphics, but come on...  Smile

Ignorant people come in many forms.

The stores are usually very nice to shop in (Unless you want fast parts for your computer.), but I wish that I wouldn't get assaulted by sales people so much. For other people, I know this is a nice thing. Just my  twocents .

Jetsgo

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:24 pm

So, I've decided most of our customers are absolutely dumb.

And to put it bluntly, I as a paying customer, have decided you are one of their many dumb employees. Talk about biting off the hand that fed you. You are there to serve us regardless, and in turn, we pay your paycheck.

Get real. It is common knowledge that many people refer to the tower as a monitor. It may be wrong, but who cares. You of all people shouldn't. You should be more focused on nailing that sale, rather than getting your panties in a wad over a reference.

You as a techie at Best Buy know very well what they mean. They are looking for a port that will connect to their computer via USB. Furthermore, not everyone has grown up in the digital age.

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 2):
however they were wanting the USB Cord but were calling it a USB "port".

Again, who cares what they call it. Especially you since you know what they mean. Them buying that cord is paying your paycheck. If it bothers you so much, rather than bitch, try and explain it further to them.

People need to realize we are people too and work our asses off for minimal pay.

That sounds like a personal problem. Nobody is forcing you to stay at your job. If you don't like it, quit. Furthermore, your paying customers don't have to realize squat. They are in there for you to serve them and to pay your paycheck. That is how retail works.

Iowaman, I am calling you out because you really have to ground to stand on. If you don't like your job, quit. But don't come on here bitching about customers who not only don't know as much as you, but pay your paycheck. You are in the job to educate people who lack the knowledge you have. You have to expect stupidity. There is nothing you can do though because, after all, their stupidity is what gets people like you paid.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

TedTAce

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:04 pm

I've decided most of our customers are absolutely dumb

With that attitude you are GOING NOWHERE

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
USB port, and many do.

Or Firewire

Quoting Coz (Reply 3):
Working at BestBuy would be fun.

no  I might end up HAVING to do it, but not willingly.

Would you be interested to know what most customers think about the quality of salespeople at Best Buy?

Perfect.

Just like people tell me when i whine about being outsourced, GET A BETTER JOB.

Quoting Diamond (Reply 6):
Customers aren't getting paid to have product knowledge.

Bingo!!

Presumably, that's one of the things salespeople are paid to learn and provide.

rotfl  You'd think that.... Any moron can go to BB, pretend to have some product knowledge, then are thrown to the wolves with no training other then policy/proceedure.

are customers of Best Buy

Yeap, but I never deal with the staff if I can avoid it. I usually know more then them.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 10):
You have to expect stupidity

Exactly, though I wouldn't call it stupidity so much as ignorance. To me stupidity indicates a venemous will to be ignorant. Most people are not like that, most people just don't know and it's not their fault, therefore I prefer to think of them as ignorant and willing to learn if you are patient.

The whole thing I DO NOT appreciate about your post; Iowaman; is that you seem to have the attitude I did when I was young, dumb, and constatnly being fired from service jobs. Sure that attitude 'plays' with the co-workers in the back room, it's going to make you a LOOSER on the floor. Remember you are there for money, the people that pay you are your customers and your bosses, they are the people you want to impress, not your dweeb co-workers. Become an advocate for your customers, and I almost garantee you'll be rewarded.
This space intentionally left blank

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:17 pm

Sure, they might be dumb, that's why you are there to explain it to them the right way, not to slam them online.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

PAHS200

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:09 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 2):

thats how I got mine  Wink

Michael

767Lover

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:38 pm

My eMac has a cable running from the MONITOR (yes, MONITOR) to the printer. All ports are in the monitor.

I can't believe you are so dumb as to know not this.

Great. Another high school student who thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

ORFflyer

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:48 pm

You had to put your drink in that cup-holder thingy on your computer to type all that crap didn't you? You're young, you'll learn. You're there getting paid to provide customer service - try it, you might like it. Diamond, Ted and others have already told you what needs to be said, so no more bit%$ing from me.....

Bye-bye.

yooyoo

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:52 pm

sarcastic 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Kunoichi

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:14 pm

At our store, we try to contact every person that comes in the store, and believe me, they get treated better than they would at most other stores.

I beg to differ... I know many stores that wouldn't write this:

I've decided most of our customers are absolutely dumb.

About their customers... not to mention, it's on a forum that most of your customers won't visit, so they can't even give their opinion about YOU.

If all BB employees are like you, the only stupid mistake these customers made was to actually go into the store...

You're getting PAID to give people advise about soft- and hardware! You're SUPPOSED to know more than your customers, but just because the people you've mentioned in your post might not know as much about computers as you'd like, what gives you the right to come and whine about their lack of knowledge online?

I'll never go into a Best Buy now- apparently, it's fully acceptable to write about your customers like this online, and I cannot take employees like that seriously.
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 17):
I'll never go into a Best Buy now- apparently, it's fully acceptable to write about your customers like this online, and I cannot take employees like that seriously.

Oh please .. so if I have a run-in with one bad employee at SuperBrugsen, I'm never gonna go there again?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

A332

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:28 pm

Those 'dumb customers' also make sure you get a paycheck every couple weeks...

...and not all people know everything about electronics... big deal. You are there to assist customers in their purchasing needs... that's the whole point of your position.

If you don't like your job, quit. I used to work at Future Shop, Best Buy's other electronics chain in Canada. I did not like working there (bad management) and I found something far better... problem solved.

I shop at Best Buy all the time and guess what... I do it all on my own... so I guess I'm the customer you like, the one who grabs the products off the shelves, walks up to the till, and pays without being suckered into that extended warranty plan where you get your bonuses from.

Wink
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

MaidensGator

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 14):

I thought they were ALL smarter than the rest of us....

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):
Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 17):

Oh please .. so if I have a run-in with one bad employee at SuperBrugsen, I'm never gonna go there again?

I have to agree with Kunoichi. Over the years I've stopped dealing with several businesses because of one bad experience. With all the choices out there and comparable pricing, I can't see any reason to ever go back to a store if I've been treated rudely. And not just retail outlets, the same holds true for airlines, hotel chains, restaurants, et cetera. If more people had this attitude, the service levels across the board would improve....
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

PC12Fan

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:28 pm

Yeah well, we all can't be as "perfect" as you.  talktothehand  It's Worst Buy employees like you is why I will never set foot in one again. Misleading, cocky and makes snap judgements about customers instead of being somewhat understanding that we all are not quite the brainiac you are.

Welcome to my RU list.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 19):
I shop at Best Buy all the time and guess what... I do it all on my own... so I guess I'm the customer you like, the one who grabs the products off the shelves, walks up to the till, and pays without being suckered into that extended warranty plan where you get your bonuses from.

I'm like this too. When I'm being offered help, I just reply "no thanks" and move on. Never had a rude or pushy salesman yet. In fact I find BB employees friendly and helpful.

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 20):
I have to agree with Kunoichi. Over the years I've stopped dealing with several businesses because of one bad experience. With all the choices out there and comparable pricing, I can't see any reason to ever go back to a store if I've been treated rudely. And not just retail outlets, the same holds true for airlines, hotel chains, restaurants, et cetera. If more people had this attitude, the service levels across the board would improve....

I guess I judge the overall experience more than one bad apple, so I will continue shopping at BB  Smile If they deliver good prices and selection, I don't care about the people working there, but as I said above, I have only good experiences at BB.

Kunoichi

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):

If he writes about it on the internet, I certainly wouldn't  Smile
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

lehpron

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:45 pm

Dude, in my experience, the BestBuy employees are clingy and off-center. They act like the guys do to girls at my school (18% females). Each one thinks they are the first ones you meet at the store and keeps asking the same things and saying, "we have no commision here so feel free to ask". Thank you, leave me alone.

I understand they cater their knowledge to what you claim is the dumb customer. However, they do not know what to do when confronted with a customer that has done their homework and the extra credit, namely me. I hate it when they don't hear what I say and act like the beta version of a search engine online and return me results that, while similar, are completely different. What ticked me off was went I asked about the then upcoming quad-core cpus' back in October, they were like deers in headlights.

Whenever I ask technicaly questions, BestBuy employees get dumb. Fortunately I can talk to the manager about techie stuff and he/she understand and maybe the store will get a sale. I'm not brutal, just require proper communication.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

disruptivehair

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:18 am

Customers aren't getting paid to have product knowledge. Presumably, that's one of the things salespeople are paid to learn and provide.

Also, I'd bet that about 90% of the North Americans on this website are customers of Best Buy for one thing or another. So how do you think your corporate execs in MSP would feel about you coming here, identifying yourself as a Best Buy employee and then bagging on the customer base?

You aren't doing your company any favors here!

Agreed. "Stupid" customers are just part of the reality of retail. I had plenty of them when I worked at Fox Photo when I was in college, but you have to remember that if it wasn't for them buying stuff, you wouldn't have a job.

767Lover

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 25):
but you have to remember that if it wasn't for them buying stuff, you wouldn't have a job.

checkmark 

The customers who "know stuff" usually buy things online because they know exactly what they need and can get it cheaper through Internet sources.

beefstew25

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:26 am

Society is absolutely dumb when it comes to electronics.

The best sales people always display the most empathy. If they were well-versed in electronics, you wouldn't have a job.
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

ebs757

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 14):
My eMac has a cable running from the MONITOR (yes, MONITOR) to the printer. All ports are in the monitor.

I can't believe you are so dumb as to know not this.

A person going into best buy should have enough sense to at least say I have mac E mac and I need a cord that goes to my printer from my monitor...who's going to realize they are talking about there computer that is actually in the monitor?
Viva la Vida

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:39 am

I like doing this type of stuff:

Best Buy Guy: "Finding everything OK? Do you have any questions about anything?"

Me: "Yes and yes. How much thurst is produced by the booster stage of an Atlas V Heavy rocket?"

Mark  Silly
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

IFEMaster

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:39 am

Best Buy

Ahh, you see, that's the first mistake your customers that you hate so much make. Best Buy is full of employees who, like you, show zero respect for their customers. Ergo, it's a mistake to shop there.

Talking of Best Buy, I think the guys over at Improv Everywhere were geniuses when they came up with their Best Buy Mission:

http://www.improveverywhere.com/2006/04/23/best-buy/
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 29):
Me: "Yes and yes. How much thurst is produced by the booster stage of an Atlas V Heavy rocket?"

Ever have somebody direct you to car audio? Sounds like something in car audio could be named that Big grin

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 30):
Talking of Best Buy, I think the guys over at Improv Everywhere were geniuses when they came up with their Best Buy Mission:

I read that a while ago. IE is awesome!

767Lover

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 28):
A person going into best buy should have enough sense to at least say I have mac E mac and I need a cord that goes to my printer from my monitor...who's going to realize they are talking about there computer that is actually in the monitor?

If he is calling customers stupid, he should be knowledgable enough to know how eMacs work.

PC12Fan

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 29):

Nice.  highfive 
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 32):
If he is calling customers stupid, he should be knowledgable enough to know how eMacs work.

eMacs haven't been sold for what, 3 years now? Perhaps longer? I wouldn't expect someone who used PCs mainly to even know what one looked like.

IAH777

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:13 am

Perhaps the worst customer service I've ever experieinced was at a BB in an affluent Houston suburb. I was helping my father select a car stereo to replace the stock radio in his truck and we were spotted by a BB associate.

BB Dumbass: "Hey. Are y'all just looking or are you gonna buy something?"

My Father: [stunned] "Uh....go away."

BB Dumbass: [unfazed] "'Cause most people just come in a look. I wanna know if you're gonna buy something."

We walked out.

futurecaptain

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:37 am

Without reading this whole thread it seems alot of people have NEVER worked in retail. Training? God, I wish I had training. 99% of employees product knowledge where I work comes from the tag sitting in front of the product. We get told to BS our way through sales to bring in an extra buck for the company.
And YES, some people are just stupid.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

yooyoo

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:50 am

No response from Iowaman in a while.

He must be watching "Employee of the Month" in the Best Buy lounge.

Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:51 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 36):
We get told to BS our way through sales to bring in an extra buck for the company.

I was in CompUSA yesterday looking for a single RCA audio cord. Not one of those things with 5 different plugs molded onto it, just your garden variety 12' RCA audio cord. Unfortunately, that's really not sold under that name, but under names like "digital composite cable", etc., to get you to pay $30-$40 for same. I asked the guy isn't an RCA cable an RCA cable an RCA cable, no matter what, as sort of a rhetorical question. It's just copper wire with RCA plugs on either end. He said, "let me go get our tech guy, I do cell phones mainly".

OK, how hard is it to understand what an RCA cable is? People shouldn't even be hired for a store like that if they have to get "the tech guy" to answer that question.

(And despite this store going out of business, they were still asking top dollar for most of what remained--I didn't see discounts of more than 20% off full retail, and it looked like they were getting it--totally amazing.)

regupilot

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:54 am

I believe that these statements make you a bit more stupid. I guess we'll have to call journalists stupid when they're reporting something about aviation (a field that we all know here) while saying barbarities. Now, for some reason they should have made their research before saying things out loud, but just like you might have no clue on how to wire a house for electricity, there are way too many people that has no clue on electronics.

Many people are not aware that 7 years ago, a $1,000 computer was almost an unreachable dream. Many, but waaaay too many people still thinks the monitor is the computer. In some way is logical, since everything they usually see and work with is the monitor. Many people has no clue that they can even connect the camcorder to the PC: Could be that they don't even have one, or just purchased one and want to connect it, or maybe just found out about it. Another quite interesting thing: Many people think that for someone to see you, or for you to see somebody through webcams, you both have to have one. Some times I find a bit difficult to explain this particular part. And who are these people? These people are doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers, even professionals in the field, who do not have enough time to wander around BestBuy and look for prices and how things work, or to read computer or electronics magazines; or maybe people that do not have nice friends like you to explain them how things work.

So again, if you don't understand this, I guess you shouldn't be working at a store like Best Buy.

[Edited 2007-04-06 18:55:14]

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 38):
I was in CompUSA yesterday looking for a single RCA audio cord.

Jesus. Even I know what you're talking about!

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

diamond

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 36):
Without reading this whole thread it seems alot of people have NEVER worked in retail ... And YES, some people are just stupid.

All of us are familiar with retail from the customer's perspective. The reason that bad customer service stands out is because there are some companies with good customer service to compare it to.

It's unfortunate that your company does not give you proper training and that you have to 'wing it' with the customers. But there are companies that do it the right way.

And .. for every person that you think is 'stupid', there are probably 3 more who think you are the stupid one. In the long run, it doesn't serve anyone to think of anyone else as stupid. It's childish, angry, and lacking in basic human understanding.

Your customers aren't stupid. They just aren't as invested in knowing the rpm of the latest flux capacitor as you are!
Blank.

searpqx

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:09 am

We seem to have a weekly 'bag on the customer' thing going here. Last week wasn't it another poster calling customers idiots?

I can't really expand on the well deserved bitch slapping you got. But I will say, the next time you are in a store, looking for a product you have no knowledge of and very little interest in, just remember, suddenly YOU will be the dumb one. If you don't receive the treatment you think you deserve, try and remember the feeling the next time you start to think of a customer as 'dumb'.

Quoting Diamond (Reply 41):
They just aren't as invested in knowing the rpm of the latest flux capacitor as you are!

Flux Capacitors don't have RPMs, only a Heisenberg Compensator is calibrated that way - dude, what are you, an idiot?  Wink
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 42):
Flux Capacitors don't have RPMs, only a Heisenberg Compensator is calibrated that way - dude, what are you, an idiot?

I need a Continuum Transfunctioner

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:19 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 41):
And .. for every person that you think is 'stupid', there are probably 3 more who think you are the stupid one.

I can imagine what it's like when a "stupid" salesperson has to deal with a customer who knows more about the product than him/her.

Next time I go to BB, I should try asking the applicances kid for a washing machine with a manual transmission.

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 44):
Next time I go to BB, I should try asking the applicances kid for a washing machine with a manual transmission.

You're just mean Big grin

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:55 am

Here's another one. I should bring in an old 12 inch laser disc and ask the home entertainment kid if he has a "record player" that will play it.

adopim88

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:04 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 44):
Next time I go to BB, I should try asking the applicances kid for a washing machine with a manual transmission

rotfl 

I suggest going to find a nice printing factory and run a printing press for the next 25 years. You won't have to deal directly with "dumb customers" and you can just stand there and run orders all day long. There. Problem solved.

I only go to BB with someone who knows their electronics. I don't dare enter the store alone.
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

TedTAce

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 46):
home entertainment kid if he has a "record player" that will play it.

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  That would be hilarious.  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 
This space intentionally left blank

767Lover

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 34):
eMacs haven't been sold for what, 3 years now? Perhaps longer? I wouldn't expect someone who used PCs mainly to even know what one looked like.

Yeah, uh, still no reason to say a customer is stupid for saying "I need the cable that connects from the monitor to the printer" if that's all the customer knows.

I wouldn't know what an RCA cable is, so I'm an idiot as well.