RNOcommctr
Topic Author

Refurbished Computers?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:21 pm

There's a guy on e-Bay who sells a ton of "refurbished" computers. Most appear to be late models and the prices are very reasonable. But I am concerned about what "refurbished" means. Are these computers that are returned to the manufacturers with warranty problems? I have to add that the seller's feedback rating is higher than 98%. But I am still skeptical. Should I be?

Thanks for any advice.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

Jetsgo

RE: Refurbished Computers?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:35 pm

Refurbished basically means used. Whether or not it was returned with a defect or just recycled, it completely circumstantial. However, it should work and do what it needs to do. Does this guy offer a warranty? In my opinion, I would not touch a refurbished computer at all. But that's just me. The cost benefit is just not there, knowing it was someone else's who did God knows what with it.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

TSS

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:43 pm

Quoting RNOcommctr (Thread starter):
Are these computers that are returned to the manufacturers with warranty problems?

Those are re-sold by the manufacturer as "Factory Refurbs".

"Refurbished" by an individual can mean as little as wiping the hard drive, re-installing an appropriate operating system, and blowing the dust bunnies off the mobo...or even just wiping the fingerprints and general schmutz off the outside of the case and nothing else.

I have never bought a computer new, but I buy mine from local second-hand shops where I can make sure they're working before money changes hands.

You might want to contact the seller and see exactly what he does to "refurbish" the computers he sells.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

futurecaptain

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:10 pm

What kind of price difference are we talking about here between refurbished and new computers? If it's a marginal difference I'd go with a new computer simply because in the last year or two the new computers out there have gotten so much processing power and have so many toys to play with its amazing. Spending $150 on a refurbished computer that is 3 years old vs. $400 on a new one today just isn't worth it right now.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

melpax

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 3):
Spending $150 on a refurbished computer that is 3 years old vs. $400 on a new one today just isn't worth it right now.

Good point.

Down here, there's heaps of local computer shops that custom build no-name systems to your specs. sure, you don't get the brand name Dell, Acer, Hp, etc in the funky case, but you can get a cracking system for a few hundred bucks. And the componets are the same.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

ltbewr

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 pm

'Refurbished' can mean where a person bought a computer, they only used it for a short while and didn't like it, when it was unpacked there was damage or there was a component (laptop screen, motherboard, mouse) or software problem and in any case, returned it to the store/manufacturer. In any case, it cannot be resold as 'new', so the use of refurbished designated. Dell for example has it's 'outlet store' section on it's site, for refurbished computers as well cancelled or returned orders. To me the difference could be something like 10-25%, but you may have to pay shipping. One should make sure they can't get just as good of a deal with sales or where free shipping or extended warrenties at places like Dell and so on.

lincoln

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 am

I would generally avoid buying refurbished from anyone but the manufacuturer. Buying refurb from the manufacturer can be a good deal, though -- especially the business side of Dell outlet (http://outlet.dell.com/) [Dell home stuff is unadulturated crap, the Small Business stuff isn't much better, but the Medium/Large business is a good product, well supported, and at a decent price from the outlet]

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

StarAC17

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 am

Get it if you want, but you will be dealing with me.

Signed,

Hard Disk Bad Sectors
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!