jamesbuk

An Easy Way To Find North/south?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi guys and girls,

Well I like to always find out what direction aircraft are going in if i see them, so is there a quick way of finding out the directions without use of a compass?
What I've been doing is i get my analog watch, point the hour hand at the sun and halfway between that and 12 is south. Im not sure if that is correct and to be honest i dont know where i got that from!!

So again is there an easy simple way to find north or south or any direction just by using the average things you would carry?

rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Yellowstone

RE: An Easy Way To Find North/south?

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:44 pm

I've heard something similar, but I have a bit of a cheat - my watch band has a miniature compass on it that isn't good enough to navigate by, but does give a general idea of what direction you're facing. Of course, you could always try the "moss grows on the north side of trees" thing.  Smile
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Stealthz

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:46 pm

In your world at midday the shadows will point North from the trees, poles etc(well as you have daylight saving it would be 1:00PM)

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

jafa39

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Thread starter):
What I've been doing is i get my analog watch, point the hour hand at the sun and halfway between that and 12 is south. Im not sure if that is correct and to be honest i dont know where i got that from!!

Were you a Scout or Army Cadet??

Don't forget that during summer time (daylight savings) you take the halfway between the hour hand and 1 o'clock.

This is the best way if you have an analogue watch, if not you can look at your digital watch or cellphone, draw a clock on a piece of cardboard and then point it at the sun.

But buying a cheapass compass is a better idea as it is smaller than a piece of cardboard and a pen.

If there is low cloud obscuring the sun it won't matter as you can't see the planes  Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

jamesbuk

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 3):

Nope Im into alot of the SAS stuff though, so i think maybe out of one of their books i got it from. So it was right? see because that means my office faces north, and i see alot of A320's and 737's go over aswell as the 747's. I can only imagine the 747's are going over to america as they head north and then turn over, but im not sure where all these A320's and 737's are going as there really isnt that many places in the UK that require that much traffic!!

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

jafa39

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 4):
im not sure where all these A320's and 737's are going as there really isnt that many places in the UK that require that much traffic!!

GLA - EDI - BHX - to name but a few...a lot of that Nth - Sth Domestic traffic is 737/320 type stuff, maybe some Scandinavian routings go that way?

jamesbuk

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 5):

Yeh but i live about 60miles south of heathrow, 20 miles south of luton and about 50 from stansted. So i do see them quite low (presumably from luton)

Rgds --James--

BigOrange

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:56 am

Look which side of a tree/building has algae on it.

That side is north!

jafa39

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 6):
Yeh but i live about 60miles south of heathrow, 20 miles south of luton and about 50 from stansted. So i do see them quite low (presumably from luton)

They are all Ryan Air a/c, they have to fly low because MOL will only let them have AA road atlases for navigation. They need to be able to see the motorway signs  Wink