stlgph

Don Imus Is Fired

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:53 am

here is the first available article.
thousands more to come.

this has the statement from Leslie Moonves.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/entertainment/2007/04/imus_off_cbs.html

[Edited 2007-04-12 22:58:15]
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

stlgph

RE: Don Imus Is Fired

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:57 am

cfalk

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:58 am

Good precedent.

So, when can we expect all the record companies to fire all the rappers who use terms like "nigger", "ho", etc. etc.?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

B777-700

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):
So, when can we expect all the record companies to fire all the rappers who use terms like "nigger", "ho", etc. etc.?

Don't be stupid Charles.

It's the same reason why you can call your wife a bitch and I can't.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

Dougloid

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):
Good precedent.

When pigs fly, I expect. Have you ever heard the term "double standard"?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

stlgph

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):

lovin' it.

the whole thing is ridiculous.

and how did i just KNOW that Oprah was going to bring Maya Angelou into her little rap (can i say that?) session with the team today.

cfalk

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 3):

So much for MLK's dream of a colorblind society...

The whole idea was that what was allowed for one group would be allowed for all, and what would be wrong for one group would be wrong for all.

BTW, I would never ever call my wife a bitch. Says something about you though if you think it would be ok...

[Edited 2007-04-12 23:05:27]
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

charlienorth

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:03 am

When will Al Sharpton get fired??? What Imus said was screwed up,but there's things that are just as bad or worse,and no your race does not entitle you to spew this crap.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

B777-700

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):
BTW, I would never ever call my wife a bitch.

Not the point. You CAN say "Damn my wife is being a bitch". If I said: "Damn dude, your wife is a bitch" I would expect to get punched in the face, and rightfully so.

Get it now?

stlgph

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 8):

girls, come on now. you're both pretty.

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 7):

no kidding.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):
So much for MLK's dream of a colorblind society...

we are really agreeing thus far. are the stars aligned differently?!

rlwynn

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 7):
When will Al Sharpton get fired???

Where does he work?
I can drive faster than you

srbmod

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:11 am

I'll have to say that I'm not surprised by this at all. Once MSNBC axed their simulcast of his show, you knew that the end was near for him @ CBS Radio. The fact that it took them (CBS Radio) this long after the incident to fire him is shocking; had it been Howard Stern, they probably would have fired him within a matter of a day or two. CBS Radio is royally screwed now as well since they were somewhat dependent on Imus to improve their fortunes since Stern left (O & A are part of this bid to make up for the revenue CBS Radio has lost since Stern left for Sirius). This makes the rumors of CBS Radio being sold and potentially broken up more likely.

In some ways, Imus did this entire backwards. He could have used the old age/senility and/or the ravages of drug and alcohol abuse in the past angle and probably things wouldn't have been so bad and perhaps people would have felt sorry for him. The statements and apologies he has made in the aftermath just dug a deeper hole for him.

Unlike during his heyday at WNBC when he was fired and rehired on an almost regular basis (This was during the height of his drug and alcohol abuse), he won't be returning to CBS Radio. There probably is someone out there willing to take the risk of having him on the air and he'll probably be back in the saddle again in a matter of months. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the jump to satellite radio (Heck, if he would have said it on satellite radio, it probably wouldn't have made headlines.).

tz757300

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:11 am

Yup, double standard is still there, as it always has been. Shame he's getting fired, he really could have said a whole lot worse.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):

Never, those words create money for the companies because they are saying words that arn't socially acceptable.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

stlgph

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 11):
I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the jump to satellite radio

we're placing bets on the News Network on how long it'll take to announce a deal.

everyone's saying within three weeks.

IAH777

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 10):
Where does he work?

Anywhere there's a fool who will listen.

Well, you can call another man's wife a bitch, but you just have to do it behind their back like everyone else.

EDIT: Someone stole the space between a couple of words. Bastard!

[Edited 2007-04-12 23:22:10]

B777-700

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 14):
Well, you cancall another man's wife a bitch, but you just have to do it behind their back like everyone else.

Exactly, and not on a national radio show.  Wink

airfoilsguy

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:23 am

This is all a bunch of horseshit! Imus is fired from a show he has been doing for decades for saying one dumb thing? It just shows how screwed up the media industry is. I am sure CBS is going to be all sanctimonious about it and say something like "we don't tolerate that kind of thing here". Well, I have one question, why did it take so long? The answer, after the sponsors pulled out CBS suddenly decided it would be the right thing to do. I wounder if no sponsors dropped him would he still have been fired? Probably not. If Imus should have been fired they should have done it right off, not wait so long. I think the whole thing just smells rotten. He should be punished but not in such a half assed disjointed way.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

stlgph

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:26 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 16):
Imus is fired from a show he has been doing for decades for saying one dumb thing? It just shows how screwed up the media industry is

heaven forbid anybody ever calls one of those gals a "bitch"

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:30 am

This is all a bunch of horseshit! Imus is fired from a show he has been doing for decades for saying one dumb thing? It just shows how screwed up the media industry is. I am sure CBS is going to be all sanctimonious about it and say something like "we don't tolerate that kind of thing here". Well, I have one question, why did it take so long? The answer, after the sponsors pulled out CBS suddenly decided it would be the right thing to do. I wounder if no sponsors dropped him would he still have been fired? Probably not. If Imus should have been fired they should have done it right off, not wait so long. I think the whole thing just smells rotten. He should be punished but not in such a half assed disjointed way.

checkmark 

Yup, total bullshit. I find it interesting i've seen no one mention that Imus wasn't the first to say 'ho', there was a comment prior. Surely he is responsible for his own words and reactions, but it is asinine for this enormous scope of outrage and his eventual firing to stem from a single, knee-jerk response such as this. Of course it was a stupid thing to say, but I don't believe for one minute that Don is a racist or that it was anything more than a misguided joke. I actually have listened to Imus's show quite a bit, unlike most of these armchair quarterbacks coming out of the woodwork thinking they know jack shit about the guy.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

srbmod

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 13):
we're placing bets on the News Network on how long it'll take to announce a deal.

everyone's saying within three weeks.

Concur with that assessment and will say that he'll end up signing with XM and will do afternoons on the Virus Channel (He is a friend and supporter of Opie & Anthony, so it would not surprise me to see him end up on their channel.). Needless to say, if the Sirius-XM merger goes through, it'll be go grab the popcorn time because of Imus' and Stern's long standing feud.

Pope

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 8):
Not the point. You CAN say "Damn my wife is being a bitch". If I said: "Damn dude, your wife is a bitch" I would expect to get punched in the face, and rightfully so.

redflag 
There is a relationship between a husband and wife that is either religious or legal or some combination of the two. A rapper exploiting his race to call black women "bitches" or "hoes" is nowhere near the same thing.

What Imus did was wrong. I've never liked him so I really don't care if he got fired. But for anyone to say that there is not a double standard when it comes to this is absurd and is just ignoring the reality.

Look at what Sharpton said about the Duke player.
Look at what he's called the citizens of New York.

Perhaps to good reverend should open the good book - let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

srbmod

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 am

CBS Radio has a long history of treating some of their personalities like crap. Imus wasn't the first nor will he be the last personality CBS Radio does this way. I hope Imus has exclusive rights to his past shows, as if he doesn't, we could see a repeat of what transpired this time last year regarding CBS Radio and the rights to the Stern K-Rock Tapes.

stlgph

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 19):

it'll be interesting to hear Howard Stern's comments. despite their rivalry ... he should be behind him 100%.

tbar220

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):
heaven forbid anybody ever calls one of those gals a "bitch"

What does that mean exactly?
NO URLS in signature

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:42 am

Finally a voice of reason coming out of the back community: just on PTI Mike Wilbon said that he didn't feel Imus should have been fired. Hallelujah, how long did this take?

The big loser here: listeners and viewers in the country as a whole. Imus in the Morning had its moments as a very good radio program with a star-studded lineup of guests who provided solid political news and insight from very regular guests such as John McCain and Joe Biden to name a few.

My biggest pet peeve: everyone who knows NOTHING about this radio program or Imus needs to SHUT UP and realize their glaring ignorance about the content/quality/nature of the program or just using the popular 'shock jock' term to describe Imus- as well as many worse to make him a villain. So people: know your place and that your ability to comment on the man's career and show is limited to 3 words, and that the entire basis of your argument is stemming from those 3 words. Just something to think about..

srbmod

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 22):
it'll be interesting to hear Howard Stern's comments. despite their rivalry ... he should be behind him 100%.

He predicted that Imus was going to get fired and even said that he'd like to have him on the show. During this week, listeners have heard a lot of the bad stuff that went on behind the scenes in regards to the rivalry between the two personalities and their staffs. Let's just say that most of the longtime members of the Howard Stern Show are saying "it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy." I wouldn't be surprised if Howard throws a "funeral" for Imus.

stlgph

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 23):

Personally, I'd be much more offended over being called a "bitch" than a "ho"

Then again, this is me speaking and not a whole lot really bothers me.

Now that Imus has been fired, and there's no doubt memorances of this story will continue into the next NCAA season, satellite radio makes for 'near' safe commentary, and the onset of the world wide web into formulating opinion columns and features, the real diatribes have yet to begin.

Brick

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:45 am

Everyone in the United States needs to ask themselves this question. Do you want to live in a country in which you have the choice not to listen to Don Imus or do you want a country in which everything you listen to on the radio has passed the Al Sharpton litmus test?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

IAH777

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:47 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 26):

Don't forget the ESPN hour-long docudrama, starring Mel Gibson as Don Imus.

PSA53

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:47 am

Since the main media is washing their hands on Imus, I hope the media will put "cameras down" on Sharpton.
His big reckless mouth has cost him his credibilty in this and other cases.I might be close to calling him a new name.

Mr. McCarthy.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 26):
Personally, I'd be much more offended over being called a "bitch" than a "ho"

Absolutely. Had Imus used bitch in this instance, it would have been more malicious than jokingly....but there wouldn't be as much racial connotation for everyone to get their panties in a twist about.

Question: Would Imus still have his job if he would have bent over to the media from the beginning with the obligatory token, and unmistakably bullshit measures such as going on the talk show circuit and other purely cosmetic gestures to ease the grief of the outraged, simple minded masses calling for his head? What he did was want to go right to the source and the point: directly to the Rutgers basketball team. But that was not good enough...

fxramper

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:51 am

Imus will be back on the air (XM) making way more money, and better yet, will be able to say what he wants and get away with it. Listening to the talking heads of sports the past week on this "political" topic was laughable. Thanks ESPN.

Is CBS ratings that bad they feel the need to drop Imus for publicity?  no 

miamiair

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting Brick (Reply 27):
Everyone in the United States needs to ask themselves this question. Do you want to live in a country in which you have the choice not to listen to Don Imus or do you want a country in which everything you listen to on the radio has passed the Al Sharpton litmus test?

Right on the money.

What a load of crap. Al Sharpton is one to talk; his bullshit with the Tawana Brawley case precedes him. Blowhard needs to keep his mouth closed so he doesn't stink up the place.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

stlgph

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 29):
I hope the media will put "cameras down" on Sharpton

and i completely agree with you on that. i dont know why they even bother to give him the time of day ... probably some News Director wants to meet an EOC quote or something.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 31):
Is CBS ratings that bad they feel the need to drop Imus for publicity?

well...........

daedaeg

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:58 am

It almost seems like CBS has been waiting to fire this guy and found the perfect excuse to do just that. I'm not convinced they were persuaded by Al and Jesse in making this move.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

fridgmus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:59 am

This is just another "Politcally correct case of pandering to the Black community". Imus didn't mean it in a malicious way, but as usual, things got blown way out of proportion.

Yes, it was wrong and the Rutgers team deserved an apology. NOTHING MORE!

And the so-called "Reverend" Al Sharpton? That's another thread unto itself. thumbsdown 

I read on Yahoo news that one of the players said she "would remember this for the rest of her life"! Give me a break, puhleeeeze! It sickens me that our society has turned into a bunch of damn crybabies!  hissyfit 
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 34):
It almost seems like CBS has been waiting to fire this guy and found the perfect excuse to do just that. I'm not convinced they were persuaded by Al and Jesse in making this move.

What would make you say that? This is an economic decision- don't be fooled- because the ad dollars went running, as well as MSNBC. If CBS was waiting for an excuse to fire him, it wouldn't have taken this long.

srbmod

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 31):
Is CBS ratings that bad they feel the need to drop Imus for publicity?

No, it came down to the almighty  dollarsign 

Too many big name companies were threatening to pull their ads not only from Imus' show but from CBS Radio in general. Ad revenue is what's keeping CBS Radio afloat.

ewmahle

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:12 am

I am not going to sit here and act like I was an avid listener of the show. In fact I never even heard of him or the show until I caught one morning on MSNBC and from there I would catch the show here and there. So my question is, do you think that any of this would have ever blown up to the way it has without his face being on TV. In my opinion, NO! So called, "borderline" comments are made everyday by radio hosts and listeners alike, black and white. So in my opinion, had his face not been on cable TV so the clip could be shown over and over again, I just have a feeling this would have blown over virtually unnoticed. If all the protesters could not have seen him on TV than would have had trouble confirming that they had Googled the right guys Bio on the way to the rally. It was stated today that Imus had 700,000 listeners in NY but just about anywhere else he ranked very low and was unknown. So in my opinion the only way the whole country and all these people can be so pissed is because they have a face to see on TV. just my two.

Also did anyone catch the reporter ask Al Sharpton today in NY why he was not apologising to the Duke players for harassing them? Al just got mad and said that he did not harass them, he just asked for an investigation. Please! In Al and Jessie's quest to unite and become the next MLK or what ever the hell they are trying to, they are only creating more separation by putting up a barrier. Just because a White person says or does something to a black person does not call for the duo to come in and start a new civil rights movement. If their goal is to unite and make it a better place for all then they should be stepping in when blacks kill whites, when whites kill blacks and everything in between. To be honest with you, it seems to me that these two just take advantage of the people around them, almost brain washing them. I have a lot of black friends and go to school with a lot of black students and I certainly do not see them running around in a rage about these comments.

I shall step of my box now.

AirTranTUS

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:24 am

Maybe someone stated this in another thread, but I don't see how "nappy-headed ho" refers to black females. It wouldn't have crossed my mind. Since there are both black and white girls on the team, the situation confuses me.  Confused
I love ASO!

NWA742

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 4):
When pigs fly, I expect. Have you ever heard the term "double standard"?

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 35):
This is just another "Politcally correct case of pandering to the Black community". Imus didn't mean it in a malicious way, but as usual, things got blown way out of proportion.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Pretty much what I've been saying in the other thread. I think what Imus said was stupid, and I think he got what he deserved. Why? He's done this for awhile, and he should've known that one of these days, saying something like this was going to get him canned.

But don't get me wrong - this entire story is just another fine example of the bullshit double standard imposed by political correctness.

I said it before and I'll say it again - if a black talk show host said something about a white basketball girls team being a bunch of blonde bimbo sluts, would we be hearing about this every 5 minutes? Would he have a job today? Think about it.

It's really sad how people put up with this - people are too afraid to say anything in fear of offending. Thank you, PC America!!!!

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

TedTAce

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:33 am

Who is Imus?

Signed,

Everyone who listens to Howard or Mancow.

Imus got his just deserts. While I don't think what he said was AS BAD as the N bomb; it does tap into the fact he ovbiously made a comment for the sake of being shocking and didn't think about the reprecussions.

Why do I have a feeling he's dropping the N bomb right about now?
This space intentionally left blank

jaysit

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:35 am

This is all a bunch of horseshit! Imus is fired from a show he has been doing for decades for saying one dumb thing?

Its not just one dumb thing.

Its just the straw that finally broke the camel's back.

Imus has been making simian (that's monkey-like to those who don't have a dictionary) references to black athletes for years, he's been making racially derogatory comments against black women for years, he's got a penchant for the term Jewboy which he uses liberally, and he trots out the worst homophobic stuff on his show. Actually, his producer is the worst of the lot. That fat hyena can now laugh all the way out of the bank.

What you're seeing here is black America finally having the clout to say "enough of this racist nonsense that's been perpetrated against us for years." And corporations and the media aware of the black $$$ to finally listen.

And if you're all so outraged that some old white guy is being hung out to dry because he's an unabashed racist and sexist, oh well.

The world is a-changing. Actually, it changed a long time ago, but you were all too busy laughing at racist jokes to notice that it already happened.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ANCFlyer

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 42):
The world is a-changing. Actually, it changed a long time ago,

Apparently not if you're Rap Star or are African American - as it is still acceptable to use the word Nigger and Hoe in every day conversation, comedy routines, television productions, but only if you're African American . . . .

Hypocracy at it's finest Jaysit.

Imus needed a good smacking - no question.

But where is the outrage from people like Sharpton, Jackson . . . . you . . . . when African Americans include derogatory language as I describe above?

Hypocracy again Jaysit?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

TPASXM787

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 33):
and i completely agree with you on that. i dont know why they even bother to give him the time of day ... probably some News Director wants to meet an EOC quote or something.

Amazing. I agree with everything you have said. Now Olbermann is making his list of who else should be fired, including Limbaugh(who I am not a fan of) and Glenn Beck(who I listen to regularly).

And by the way, when did anyone give a crap what Olbermann thinks? He was marginally funny on SportsCenter and now he thinks anyone cares about his show? Judging by the rating, not so much.

This whole thing does come down the the almighty dollar. No sponsors leave, no firing. Staples and the big boys leave, Imus is of no use to CBS.
This is the Last Stop.

rlwynn

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:07 am

I think the main point here is not so much what he said. But where it took place. ANYBODY would get fired for saying such things on the public airwaves. Has anybody here heard the host of a talk show say something of the equal and get away with it? I am sure there have been many guests say something similar but that is different than the host saying it.

He willjust move onto XM/Sirius and be much happier anyway.
I can drive faster than you

TPASXM787

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 45):
I think the main point here is not so much what he said. But where it took place. ANYBODY would get fired for saying such things on the public airwaves. Has anybody here heard the host of a talk show say something of the equal and get away with it? I am sure there have been many guests say something similar but that is different than the host saying it.

He willjust move onto XM/Sirius and be much happier anyway.

He's been spewing the same, if not worse, crap for 30 years. This time he offended the wrong people.
This is the Last Stop.

charlienorth

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:24 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 42):
The world is a-changing. Actually, it changed a long time ago, but you were all too busy laughing at racist jokes to notice that it already happened

Listening to Richard Pryor tapes?
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

halls120

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 10):
Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 7):When will Al Sharpton get fired???
Where does he work?

rotfl  Work? Rev Al doesn't work, he agitates.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 24):
Finally a voice of reason coming out of the back community: just on PTI Mike Wilbon said that he didn't feel Imus should have been fired. Hallelujah, how long did this take?

redflag  Wilbon is being a bit slick here. Here is what he wrote in the Post on 4/11: "And while I'm not agitating for Imus to be fired, I'd certainly raise a toast if it happens."

Guess he has a problem with short term memory.

Truth is, we've lived in that country for quite awhile now. Imus is just the nail in the coffin of freedom of expression. Because there are black talk show hosts that spew garbage that is just as vile as the crap Imus spews, but no one dares raise a whisper of complaint.

Quoting Ewmahle (Reply 38):
Also did anyone catch the reporter ask Al Sharpton today in NY why he was not apologising to the Duke players for harassing them? Al just got mad and said that he did not harass them, he just asked for an investigation.

Given that he never apologized for the tawana incident, are you surprised?

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 40):
I said it before and I'll say it again - if a black talk show host said something about a white basketball girls team being a bunch of blonde bimbo sluts, would we be hearing about this every 5 minutes? Would he have a job today? Think about it.

It wouldn't get reported, so that job would be safe.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 43):
Hypocracy at it's finest Jaysit. Imus needed a good smacking - no question.But where is the outrage from people like Sharpton, Jackson . . . . you . . . . when African Americans include derogatory language as I describe above?Hypocracy again Jaysit?

I still think Michael Meyers - executive director of the New York Civil Rights Coalition and a former assistant national director of the NAACP - has the right idea.

It is times like these that we see who really believes in the Constitution, and who believes in censorship.

Quote:

Let the Idiocy Be Heard

By Michael Meyers
Wednesday, April 11, 2007; A15

Defending Don Imus's on-air racial idiocy is impossible -- but defending free speech, even in the form of sick humor, ought to be considered anew in the wake of a storm of protest from censorious activists who are demanding that Imus be fired.

Ours is supposed to be a nation that prides itself on free speech -- let a thousand tongues wag, we say, and the truth will be uncovered. But the censors and activists who are so readily offended by idiocy on radio have discovered still another truth: that the First Amendment does not apply to radio shock jocks. And so they want the advertisers and networks to ban the I-Man and toss him off the air. They don't want to hear from Imus, and they don't want anybody else to hear him, either. If the censors and pressure groups succeed, what will become of our culture of free speech, especially with such gabbers as Al Sharpton curiously demanding action from the FCC?

If we prize freedom, we should let the radio talkers talk. Let them be perfectly understood, and let the pressure groups answer when the talkers veer off reason with their inane hatreds. But we should not allow pressure groups to drive from radio people who say the darndest things and those whose views they don't like. I say that if you don't like what you're hearing, turn the dial. If you want to call in and talk back to the jockass, do so. But we can't talk back on the radio if the censorship crowd gets its way -- if the sound of morning drives is bland conformity with the peculiar and narrow tastes of those who don't want us to hear what they themselves don't like.

See the entire article at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2007/04/10/AR2007041001310_pf.html
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 48):
redflag Wilbon is being a bit slick here. Here is what he wrote in the Post on 4/11: "And while I'm not agitating for Imus to be fired, I'd certainly raise a toast if it happens."

Guess he has a problem with short term memory.

Interesting...seems he is trying to walk the tightrope. At least i can swallow that better than most of what i've seen. Earlier on Around the Horn, Michael Smith from the Boston Globe just about blew a gasket on the matter..