jamesbuk

Is It Possible To Get A Road Legal Tank?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:20 am

Hi guys and girls,

Well i was having a conversation with someone earlier about tanks and them being road legal, is it possible? I mean like could i in theory buy a tank, get the turret gun taken off and disarmed and drive it down the road? I think that'd be the best big boy toy.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

bhmbaglock

RE: Is It Possible To Get A Road Legal Tank?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:48 am

The better option is to keep the gun. Nobody will ask if it's legal then.
Where are all of my respected members going?

ajd1992

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:59 am

I think in the UK they are actually road legal, if you get one that'll actually fit on the road. I remember seeing a program a while back on TV about a guy who drove a bright yellow tank around London!

rolfen

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:01 am

Trouble with tank is that the weight tends to damage the asphalt on the road.
That is not considering the danger of accidentally running over a car, or 25 other cars if you're drunk.
rolf

don81603

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:01 am

Short answer, no. Not without some serious modifications. Before you can legally drive any vehicle, it must pass a safety inspection, and since a tank has no steering box, headlights, tail lights, signals, rear view mirrors, exhaust system, seat belts, etc it would fail. On top of that, I'm pretty sure it would be too wide for normal streets, and the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) would most definately require more than a regular driver's licence.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Banco

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:06 am

Course it is! Someone's done it.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...l?in_article_id=20852&in_page_id=2

No doubt there might be a bit more of an issue of you tried it with a 50 ton Chieftain, though...
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

rolfen

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:09 am

wow that is something

[Edited 2007-04-14 01:12:19]
rolf

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 4):
since a tank has no steering box, headlights, tail lights, signals, rear view mirrors, exhaust system, seat belts, etc it would fail.

BUZZZZZZ

That is incorrect.

M1A1 Abrams is equipped with headlights, taillights, rear view mirrors, exhaust system, seat belts, better brakes than anything on the road (or off).

Leopards are similarly equipped.

Neither has turn signals IIRC.

The problem stems from the vehicles height, weight and width. It would be uncoool to have to drive all over town with a Wide Load/Oversize Load sign strapped to the front and rear of the tank, and having to obtain permits each time you wanna use it.

Just think of the effect on road rage though:

(Ignore the caption in the photo, I'm too lazy to remove it)
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:24 am

Current Army Regulations for releasing US tanks to institutions require that they can not be driven. The drive shafts are cut. Even the West Point Museum can't get a tank or Bradley with an intact drive shaft. I know our Arms Curator has looked into it.

There are a few Sherman Tanks that were sold to Israel, South American Counties and the like that have made their way back to the US for restoration in private hands. But those are very few and far between and are not street legal because even with rubber shoes on the treads they tear up the road.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

sv2008

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:56 am

It might be possible in the UK with some modification. Lights, mirrors that kind of thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm sure I've seen a light tank on the road here.

USAFHummer

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:11 am

While not a tank, I have seen foreign makes of APC's advertised for sale in novelty catalogs before...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

oli80

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:14 am

I seem to remember topgear doing a segment about this in the early to mid nineties. They said you could pick one up for as little as £1000 at the time. Sketchy on the details, but i'm sure they claimed it was possible.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:31 am

Is this in your plans?

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:58 am

What about our current interstate system? The interstates were built from Eisenhower's concept of having a road system that would help facilitate military movements in the event of a possible war at home. The interstates should be able to withstand heavy transport vehicles like tanks in such an event.

-R
Living the American Dream

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 13):
What about our current interstate system? The interstates were built from Eisenhower's concept of having a road system that would help facilitate military movements in the event of a possible war at home. The interstates should be able to withstand heavy transport vehicles like tanks in such an event.

If the US was invaded and we needed the tanks on the highway tearing up the roads would probably fall on our list of priorities.

Until such time however, tanks have to stay off the road.

Don't you guys remember that maniac who stole a tank from the Armory in San Diego 10 years ago or so? See reply 12 That was an M-60 tank weight about 40 some tons, not even an Abrams which weighs in at 60 tons. Look at the video and the size of that thing on the road.

[Edited 2007-04-14 04:22:50]
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 14):
Don't you guys remember that maniac who stole a tank from the Armory in San Diego 10 years ago or so? That was an M-60 tank weight about 40 some tons, not even an Abrams which weighs in at 60 tons. Look at the video and the size of that thing on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYL00...9oMH8

Ummmm... Reply #12.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

bhmbaglock

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:27 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 8):
There are a few Sherman Tanks that were sold to Israel, South American Counties and the like that have made their way back to the US for restoration in private hands. But those are very few and far between and are not street legal because even with rubber shoes on the treads they tear up the road.

My uncle used to have one in south Florida. The turret was removed but it was still a lot of fun to drive. Of course we kept it in the 'glades so there weren't many issues about road legal, etc. I don't know what happened to it, I'll have to ask him the next time I see him.

Before you can legally drive any vehicle, it must pass a safety inspection, and since a tank has no steering box, headlights, tail lights, signals, rear view mirrors, exhaust system, seat belts, etc it would fail.

Not in many US states. We have no inspections here for example.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):

Hand signals work just fine. I think you're also missing brake lights but any asshole who tailgates an Abrams and runs into the back of it gets what he deserves IMO.

The problem stems from the vehicles height, weight and width. It would be uncoool to have to drive all over town with a Wide Load/Oversize Load sign strapped to the front and rear of the tank, and having to obtain permits each time you wanna use it.

Come home to AL where an annual permit can be yours for about $125. Only valid during daylight hours M-F and daylight to noon on Saturday though. No Sunday drivers in tanks though, it just wouldn't be proper.
Where are all of my respected members going?

WestJetYQQ

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:31 pm

Before you can legally drive any vehicle, it must pass a safety inspection, and since a tank has no steering box, headlights, tail lights, signals, rear view mirrors, exhaust system, seat belts, etc it would fail. On top of that, I'm pretty sure it would be too wide for normal streets, and the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) would most definately require more than a regular driver's licence.

Come on, Those aren't that hard to get!  Wink
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

baroque

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:22 pm

Hmmm. Just shows the efflux of time. By about 1945, we were rather relieved in Newcastle upon Tyne that Vickers products would no longer be trundling down the roads on test. Those who have had tanks trundling around, will not likely be yearning for them to come back. Armoured cars remained common as part of the traffic for some time post war, no real idea when they "thinned out". Probably some still around.

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:31 pm

M-60 tank weight about 40 some tons

60 Tons:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m60.htm

Abrams which weighs in at 60 tons

61 to 70 Tons (72 Tons Combat Loaded):
http://www.army.mil/fact_files_site/abrams/index.html

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 16):

Hand signals work just fine. I think you're also missing brake lights but any asshole who tailgates an Abrams and runs into the back of it gets what he deserves IMO.

Abrams and Patton tanks have brake lights also. Speaking of tailgating: When we first got the Abrams in Germany back in the day, many, many television warnings to our Germans Civilian drivers there who tailgate as a hobby I think. Do NOT tailgate this tank, the exhaust will melt your car. I've seen it. Watched the paint on a Benz simply bubble. Abrams exhaust at Tactical Idle is about 1200F. It is a Turbine Jet engine afterall  silly   Wow!

No Sunday drivers in tanks though, it just wouldn't be proper.

rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

rolfen

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 12):

what if the tank handn't been stuck... would they have called in the army to stop it?
rolf

comorin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 19):
Abrams exhaust at Tactical Idle is about 1200F. It is a Turbine Jet engine afterall silly

Awesome! Just curious about how the inherent high rpm of a turbine is stepped down to usable levels - I note the 'hydrokinetic transmission' but wonder if there is a cutout diagram or explanation link that you might know of. The sands of Arabia must have been murder on those turbines !

ANCFlyer

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 21):
Just curious about how the inherent high rpm of a turbine is stepped down to usable levels

The transmission is the size of a Volkswagen Beetle. The engine you could fit in your bathtub.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 21):
The sands of Arabia must have been murder on those turbines !

Talcum Powder and Turbines don't mix. Yup, the sand was/is a problem.

Don't have a link for a transmission cut out. But if you can get your hands on one of the Technical Manuals you'd be in business.

foppishbum

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:19 am

My mom said the only car I would be safe in is a tank. . . I got into too many car accidents and surprisingly none of 'em is my fault.

It'd be sweet if I can drive a tank to school. . ."What?? You failed me? Oops, I think I just lightly bumped into your car, professor. But no worries, my car is fine."  silly 

cheers,
foppish bum
Taiwanese-American :D

comorin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
Don't have a link for a transmission cut out. But if you can get your hands on one of the Technical Manuals you'd be in business.

Thanks! I'll spend a little more time Googling - hope it's not classified!

Bt the way, those tanks (1200F) would be great for clearing the snow off your driveway in ANC!

ANCFlyer

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 24):
Thanks! I'll spend a little more time Googling - hope it's not classified!

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1.htm
A couple of pictures of Eng/Trans package here.

comorin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):

Tank you very much!

baroque

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Just for accuracy, talcum powder would not be much of a problem, Mohs hardness of 1. The most common mineral in desert sands is quartz, Mohs hardness 7. And it really does not matter if it is sand sized, or clay-sized quartz, the hardness is still 7.

The only problems that I know of with talcum powder were when a certain prominent pharmaceutical company was selling baby powder that contained small amounts of kyanite. This is a rather pretty blue mineral that occurs as needle shaped crystals, and has the unusual characteristic of a hardness of 4.5 to 5 parallel to the length of the needles and 6.5 to 7 perpendicular to the length of the needles. But definitely not compatible with baby skins or turbine blades come to that.

miamiair

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 pm

All you would need is the bumber sticker:

"Horn Broke, Watch For Finger!"
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:53 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 27):

Just for accuracy, talcum powder would not be much of a problem,

sarcastic 

Don't recognize analogy when you see it apparently.

baroque

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 29):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 27):

Just for accuracy, talcum powder would not be much of a problem,

sarcastic

Don't recognize analogy when you see it apparently.

Analogues work better if they are accurate.

ANCFlyer

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 30):
Analogues work better if they are accurate.

A simple explanation of how fine the sand is in Iraq and Saudi and Kuwait, as opposed to say, Ft. Hood or Ft. Irwin where the Army trained before Desert Storm.

As far as I'm concerned, the analogy is accurate. The sand in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc is as fine as talcum powder. Whether or not it is of the same composition, whether or not it is needle shaped, or has a crystaline hardness of XYZ has no bearing on the subject.

Good information for someone that cares? Yes.

Valid to the point of the thread? No.

Thanks though.

galapagapop

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am

There used to be a company out in Las Vegas where you could rent out those extremly light assualt vehicles, no treads but instead tires, but they had turrets and the paint and boy just imagine those on the strip. I'm sure a a heavy tank is the problem, but if you go land somehwere your fine, just run it there, and I'm positive someone will let you register it somewhere, only thing is actually finding the tank.

baroque

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):
As far as I'm concerned, the analogy is accurate. The sand in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc is as fine as talcum powder. Whether or not it is of the same composition, whether or not it is needle shaped, or has a crystaline hardness of XYZ has no bearing on the subject.

Useful approach, that. If it is wrong, pointing that out is an irrelevance. Did you ever wonder how the bad mistake was made to assume that the fines in the US desert areas would be the same as those in Iraq? Probably not which is why you will go on making similar mistakes when the information is readily available.

There is a saying in the coal industry, near enough for colliery work. It tends not to be the case for sensitive machinery. But if you don't want to know why the fine ariborne dusts of Iraq cause unusual wear, why be my guest!

baroque

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 33):
Useful approach, that. If it is wrong, pointing that out is an irrelevance.

Would have read

"Useful approach, that. If it is wrong, declare it to be an irrelevance".

If I had not stuffed up the editing.