ANCFlyer
Topic Author

ANC Winter Meet - January 2008

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:20 pm

Continued from here:
ANC Winter 2007 Meet: Me, BMI And WHO Else?!?! (by DL021 Mar 28 2007 in Non Aviation)

Core Dates Friday January 5, 2008 to Monday January 8, 2008.

Here's the list:

ANCFlyer:
WrenchBender:
Queso:
Superfly
SearPQX
FlyingNanook
NWA742
KBFISpotter:
L-188
Go3Team

Now, here's a thought. Depending on room price, I have a friend that runs the Courtyard by Marriott at the Airport. Is anyone game at me checking for a block of rooms? Hotel has a Bar (would I put you guys anywhere withOUT a bar?), Restaurant, airport shuttle, and it's right at Lake Hood/ANC.

Probably not the cheapest in town, but most certainly not the most expensive. Just a thought - trying to help.

I'll rent a big van so we can travel in less than thirty-nine vehicles. Easier in ANC in the winter.

Things to look into:

Aviation Museum at ANC
Northern Lights
Micro Brew Beer
Tram Ride at Alyeska
Spotting at ANC - Cargo day and night, all manner of 747s, DC10s, MD11s, 767s. Pax, UA, US, AS, DL, CO, A319s, MD80s, 757s.
Perhaps a vision of McKinley on a clear day

If you ski - there's a world class ski resort 35 miles south of Anchorage - Alyeska.

If you drink alcohol - it's a tad pricey here, but the microbrews are WORLD CLASS, award winning beers/ales.

If you like Seafood - well - it's Alaska . . . 'nuf said.   

L-188 please add to the list.

Last but not least - if you don't get warm right away after the ANC meet come to the LAS 2008 Meet in March 2008. Planning for that will start shortly.

[Edited 2007-04-17 09:22:07]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

RE: ANC Winter Meet - January 2008

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 pm

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

andessmf

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:28 pm

What about stuff for kids?

What would interest them in January?

carmenlu15

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:09 pm

Damn, that sounds like real fun... alas, there's absolutely no way I can work that into my budget. January is even worse, as it's quite a heavy season for Central America - U.S. travel, with all the ex-pats returning to the 'States after spending the holidays here... thus sending the ticket prices through the roof. Maybe for the next one... Big grin

From the previous thread:

Quoting Superfly:
That's why I am going to try to get Carmenlu to attend this meet.

Well, I can send FlyingNanook as my legal representative...  duck 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Superfly

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 3):
Well, I can send FlyingNanook as my legal representative...

Did she ever post her picture?
Judging by her profile, she only likes narrowbodys. I am a widebody. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

WrenchBender

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):

Which years calendar are you looking at ?  banghead 
That's 2007 dates
2008= Fri Jan 4th and Mon Jan 7th.

I spent an hour last night trying to get info out of Star Alliance on how the #%$#&^%$ to get to ANC from YYC using my Aeroplan points. If I have to, I'll drive it, it's only 3400 KM each way. Besides, it's all part of the adventure.

I like the hotel idea, check on prices and let's see what the consensus is.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

Daleaholic

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Beer:

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
food:

Count me in!  bigthumbsup 

Just kidding, but I will consider this, it's just a long way to go for such a short time.  scratchchin 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 5):
Which years calendar are you looking at ?  banghead 
That's 2007 dates
2008= Fri Jan 4th and Mon Jan 7th.

You're right, my bad. I'm getting  old  and should leanr not to post after being awake for 22 hours.!

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 2):

I'll have to ask around . . . I, ummm, only have one and she's in Iowa. I have no idea. . . .

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
I am a widebody

And Superfly appears to have bought a mirror.  duck  wink 

I spent an hour last night trying to get info out of Star Alliance on how the #%$#&^%$ to get to ANC from YYC using my Aeroplan points

Good luck. Mileage flights are at a premium in the winter. I have done it, but I had to plan Way out - just like you are.

Isn't there YYC-YVR? You could do that. If it was summer, you could do YYC-YVR-ANC. You may have to jump down to SEA and get on AS SEA-ANC?

I'll drive it, it's only 3400 KM each way. Besides, it's all part of the adventure.

It's a great drive - even in the winter. But wouldn't you spend as much on fuel as you would, perhaps on a ticket if the *Alliance miles can't be used?

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 6):
it's just a long way to go for such a short time.

They just had the KEF Meet. Coming to ANC is just as far. I do hope you can make it.

WrenchBender

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Isn't there YYC-YVR? You could do that. If it was summer, you could do YYC-YVR-ANC. You may have to jump down to SEA and get on AS SEA-ANC?

AC (Always Crabby) only serves ANC May 17 to Sep 17, UAL appears to only serv ANC thru DEN. AS looks best under US$500 from SEA to ANC, lots of choices for flt times as well.

I'll sort it out closer to the day. I was just so pissed off at the Aeroplan Website last nite my monitor almost got taken out.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

searpqx

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:45 am

Now, here's a thought. Depending on room price, I have a friend that runs the Courtyard by Marriott at the Airport.

I'm up for that - though we ought to check w/ the downtown hotels as well see if there'd be anything comporable. If I remember there's not much w/in walking distance of the Courtyard, and while you don't necessarily want to go for stroll in the dead of January, there are few interesting things downtown to walk to.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

captaink

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:47 am

I don't any of you guys, but I am liking the idea of an Alaska meet, I have some miles to use. Can I join?
There is something special about planes....

Superfly

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 10):
I don't any of you guys, but I am liking the idea of an Alaska meet, I have some miles to use. Can I join?

Sure.
Can you bring some hotties with you up from Mexico?
The male/female ratio is 7-1 in Alaska.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 9):
I'm up for that - though we ought to check w/ the downtown hotels as well see if there'd be anything comporable. If I remember there's not much w/in walking distance of the Courtyard, and while you don't necessarily want to go for stroll in the dead of January, there are few interesting things downtown to walk to.

I'll do exactly that.

DOWNTOWN:
The Howard Johnson (formerly Holiday Inn) is a shit hole. Wouldn't want to put you guys there, but it might be dead cheap in winter. And w/in walking distance of all of downtown brewpups, restaurants, and overlooks the Inlet, Susitna, railroad yard, etc.

Hilton wayyy too pricey, even in winter.

Westmark might be an option as well, has balconies. The restaurant sucks, but hey.

The Sheraton is a) too far east on 5th/6th avenue (10 blocks from downtown) b) is in a lousy neighborhood.

There is the "Big" Marriott at 7th and L now. Nice place, if not a little austere . . . . if we had ten people in the lobby bar, we'd max out the capacity.

There's a Days Inn across from the Sheraton. Same issues as the Sheraton.

There's also the West Coast International Inn near the airport (about 500 feet from the Courtyard). It's a realllllly old property, and unattractive. Price may be right though. Restaurant and Bar on site.

And the Millenium Anchorage directly across from the Courtyard. Pricey, nice, decent eats and drinks, right on Lake Hood. Might get them to cut a deal.

There are other smaller, "less attractive" downtown places. I would not, however, put anyone at any of them. Unless they are armed.

MIDTOWN:
Hilton Garden Inn (Corner of C and Tudor). New place. Will check it out next Tues as I have a conference there. Best part - only 5 blocks from my condo  biggrin 

Hampon Inn (same corner, opposite side). New Place also. Never been in there. Next to Applebees and TGI Fridays and Sea Galley.

I'll do the leg work, in short order and get something posted.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 10):
Can I join?

Absolutely!!! Everyone is welcome. Say the word, we'll put you on the list.

andessmf

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
The male/female ratio is 7-1 in Alaska.

And the ratio for this meet so far is what?

Superfly

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 13):
And the ratio for this meet so far is what?

7-1
FlyingNanook is the only female thus far. She lives in Alaska so therefore already taken by a guy that knows how to shoot very well and wrestle grizzly bears to the ground!  

[Edited 2007-04-17 20:12:30]
Bring back the Concorde

andessmf

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
She lives in Alaska so therefore already taken by a guy that knows how to shoot very well

Off-limits to you, I see.  yes 

carmenlu15

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:23 am

There's one picture of her on the site...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jen Erland

biggrin 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

searpqx

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Westmark might be an option as well, has balconies. The restaurant sucks, but hey.

Remind me to tell you the story of climbing down from those balconies during a school trip, so we could sneak off and bribe our way into the Wild Cherry.  Wink

dl021

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:14 am

I am so in......

Continued from here:
ANC Winter 2007 Meet: Me, BMI And WHO Else?!?! (by DL021 Mar 28 2007 in Non Aviation)

Here's the list:

ANCFlyer:
DL021.....it was my idea, damnit...of course I'm in....I've already called dibs on the couch and the RV and truck....so don't anyone get any screwy ideas....
WrenchBender:
Queso:
Superfly
SearPQX
FlyingNanook
NWA742
KBFISpotter:
L-188
Go3Team
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 18):
RV

You can have it . . . .

It'll be -35F and that damn thing has R9 insulation . . . . there ain't enough propane on the planet to keep the icicles off your nut sack in that kinda weather - but it's all yours. I'll toss the TV and VCR/DVD in there for grins.  laughing 
The RV will be wrapped up tightly in a green (not blue) tarp and stuck on the back 40 of Ft. Richardson by mid-October. It won't see the sun again until May 2008.

Of course, I knew you were in - I just di'nt wanna speak fer ya. . . .

Here's the list:

ANCFlyer
DL021
WrenchBender
Queso
Superfly
SearPQX
FlyingNanook
NWA742
KBFISpotter:
L-188
Go3Team

There are some other AK A-Nutters also . . . . I need to find out who they are - some are in ANC. RoadRunner is in OTZ (perhaps OME). And former, and soon to be member, Bush Pilot is in Dillingham.

Daleaholic

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:38 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 18):
January 5, 2008 to Monday January 8, 2008

I believe it to be Tuesday the 8th January...?  confused 

So would the proposed dates be Friday 4th to Monday 7th January 2008?

Just had a look at flights to ANC from MAN and the fares are shockingly high!  Wow!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 20):
So would the proposed dates be Friday 4th to Monday 7th January 2008?

checkmark 

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 20):
Just had a look at flights to ANC from MAN and the fares are shockingly high

yes 

here's a trick for you. Try the BA LHR-SEA flight on a separate ticket. And book SEA-ANC on a separate ticket. See how you do. AS often has better prices SEA-ANC-SEA stand alone.

NWA742

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:12 am

Now, here's a thought. Depending on room price, I have a friend that runs the Courtyard by Marriott at the Airport. Is anyone game at me checking for a block of rooms?

You bet.

Aviation Museum at ANC
Northern Lights
Micro Brew Beer
Tram Ride at Alyeska
Spotting at ANC - Cargo day and night, all manner of 747s, DC10s, MD11s, 767s. Pax, UA, US, AS, DL, CO, A319s, MD80s, 757s.

All sound good to me. I'll be up for anything.

checkmark 

As far as airfare goes, would you guys recommend that I look for a cheap WN deal up to SEA and then an AS deal to ANC? So far I've found round trips in the range of $550 from AUS with Delta and Northwest - just wondering if I should wait for the cheap WN seasonal specials to see if I could do any better.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:18 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 22):
As far as airfare goes, would you guys recommend that I look for a cheap WN deal up to SEA and then an AS deal to ANC? So far I've found round trips in the range of $550 from AUS with Delta and Northwest - just wondering if I should wait for the cheap WN seasonal specials to see if I could do any better.

Round Rock! Hell man, one of my partners lives in Round Rock. Small world. Too bad it's in Texass.  duck 

Seriously, good friend of mine lives there, works for BP up at Prudhoe.

Anyway, CO is your best connection, I know you know that. How about AS from DFW? Failing that, there's always AA/AS. They code share.

NWA742

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:29 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 23):
Round Rock! Hell man, one of my partners lives in Round Rock. Small world. Too bad it's in Texass.

Seriously, good friend of mine lives there, works for BP up at Prudhoe.

Heh it sure is a small world. Next time your around here be sure to hit me up.

As far as Texass - don't worry - I'm hardly one of those "Way too proud of Texas" guys. I don't even have an accent.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 23):
Anyway, CO is your best connection, I know you know that. How about AS from DFW? Failing that, there's always AA/AS. They code share.

Yeah I thought about CO from IAH, haven't done AA yet, but so far haven't rang up any prices better than DL or NW. So we'll see. I'll keep looking this summer.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

L-188

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 2):

What would interest them in January?

I have a driveway they could shovel  cold 

Things to look into:

Aviation Museum at ANC
Northern Lights
Micro Brew Beer
Tram Ride at Alyeska

If you ski - there's a world class ski resort 35 miles south of Anchorage - Alyeska.

If you drink alcohol - it's a tad pricey here, but the microbrews are WORLD CLASS, award winning beers/ales.

L-188 please add to the list.

Well the Aviation Trade Show is two weeks from now and I know the guy that does communications for the Airport is big with the Aviation Museum. I don't know the guy personally but if I bump into him there I'll see if there is anything the airport can set up. I ran into him last year, and he gave a tour of the airport to a transportation logistics class I had the year prior.

In Anchorage.....I have to remember to try not to sound like a local giving instructions to somebody in from the bush.

I don't think the new Target will be open by then (1st in the state)

There is the:

Alaska Native Heritage Center.
The Art Museum downtown.
I don't know if dogs will be running by then.
We lost the the museum we had here in Eagle River, I heard something about it being set up in Mountain View.
I think the AK Zoo has winter hours.

If we want to run out to Wasilla there is the Transportation Museum out there. Might be a look if everybody wants to check out Palmer Airport for anything.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dl021

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:12 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 19):
Of course, I knew you were in - I just di'nt wanna speak fer ya.

you have my proxy on whatever else goes on here for this meet.....

I'll bring my own goretex fart sack, in case of emergency.....and an extra poncho liner....

the polypro and woolen items are already in the go bag (winter contingency) and I'm ready for the frosty trip from the airport door to the heated vehicle.....  Wink

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:44 pm

Man am I looking forward to when I get out of college and have a real job so I can finally attend a few of these meets. I'll be lucky if I get to make it to the BHM meet this coming October, but that's still iffy at best.  Sad
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

NWA742

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:53 pm

I'm getting excited about this meet. I'll be doing some good research on Alaska in the coming months.

Above all, I can't wait to meet some more A.net members. Only one I've met so far is KAUSpilot - flown and spotted with him - stand up guy.

-NWA742

flyingnanook

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 pm

Here's my two cents on hotels. There is nothing by the Courtyard (except the airport, and you can see part of the ramp from some of the rooms), so I wouldn't recommend it. I usually stay at the Springhill Suites when I'm down in Anchorage, there still isn't much, but there is an Outback across the street, and some other restaurants withing walking distance, depending on your definition of walking distance. But I think the best bet for this meet would be the Midtown hotels.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
FlyingNanook is the only female thus far. She lives in Alaska so therefore already taken by a guy that knows how to shoot very well and wrestle grizzly bears to the ground!

Ha! But most of the Alaskan men I know don't shoot for accuracy, they go for spread.

Good luck. Mileage flights are at a premium in the winter. I have done it, but I had to plan Way out - just like you are.

When aren't mileage flights at a premium? I've been trying to find an intra-Alaska mileage flight this summer, and can't get anywhere except Anchorage, and I'm not spending 15,000 miles for a 45 minute flight!
Semper ubi sub ubi.

L-188

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 26):
I'll bring my own goretex fart sack, in case of emergency

Gore-tex is for wet weather.

January in Anchorage isn't wet.....It's a dry cold.......or is that a Really Really cold dry cold?

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting FlyingNanook (Reply 29):
But I think the best bet for this meet would be the Midtown hotels.

Hilton Garden Inn or the Hampton at C and Tudor? Applebees, TGI Fridays, Steak House all within 200 yards. Oh, and Sea Galley, the Pepper Mill and Gilligans - add another hundred yards.

Quoting FlyingNanook (Reply 29):
There is nothing by the Courtyard

Gwennies, Flying Machine Restaurant (and Spenard Road  duck  ).

Quoting L-188 (Reply 30):
Really Really cold dry cold

checkmark 

What say you fellow Alaskans, should I try for block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn or the Hampton at C and Tudor?

flyingnanook

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):
What say you fellow Alaskans, should I try for block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn or the Hampton at C and Tudor?

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I would vote for the Hampton because the starting rate is $100 while the Garden Inn is $300, but the Garden Inn lists "Winter Moose Sightings Weekly" as an amenity, and it's more tourist-y for all the Outsiders. But either one would work for me.

I forgot to respond to this comment earlier. Here's a sneak peak at what you guys will get to see in ANC.

Dead sexy, eh?
Semper ubi sub ubi.

MattRB

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Now, here's a thought. Depending on room price, I have a friend that runs the Courtyard by Marriott at the Airport. Is anyone game at me checking for a block of rooms? Hotel has a Bar (would I put you guys anywhere withOUT a bar?), Restaurant, airport shuttle, and it's right at Lake Hood/ANC.

Sounds like a plan  thumbsup 

Count me in for this meet.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:27 pm

If all goes well with my interview yesterday, count me in  Smile

UA, US, AS, DL, CO

Where's NW?

I'm getting  old 

What do you mean getting?  duck 

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Unless they are armed.

Well, of course  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

dl021

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Is there someplace we can go shooting?

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting FlyingNanook (Reply 32):
I would vote for the Hampton because the starting rate is $100 while the Garden Inn is $300,

That can't possibly be their winter rates . . . right?

"Winter Moose Sightings Weekly" as an amenity

rotfl 

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 34):
Where's NW?

My bad, add NW and their 757s.

Quoting MattRB (Reply 33):
Count me in for this meet.

Okeedoke . . . .

List Again:
ANCFlyer
DL021
WrenchBender
Queso
Superfly
SearPQX
FlyingNanook
NWA742
KBFISpotter:
L-188
Go3Team
MattRB

Maybe:
RJDxer

Superfly

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:50 pm

I forgot to respond to this comment earlier. Here's a sneak peak at what you guys will get to see in ANC.

I have X-ray eyes. I can see through those layers and everyone here knows I like plump girls. Big grin
(see the 'Who Do You Attract' thread'.  Wink
This is going to be a lot more fun than I thought!  bouncy 

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I would vote for the Hampton because the starting rate is $100

Want to split that with me?
Only $50 a piece.
Bring back the Concorde

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 34):
If all goes well with my interview yesterday, count me in

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 36):
List Again:
ANCFlyer
DL021
WrenchBender
Queso
Superfly
SearPQX
FlyingNanook
NWA742
KBFISpotter:
L-188
Go3Team
MattRB

Maybe:
RJDxer

irked   Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:06 pm

List Again:
ANCFlyer
DL021
WrenchBender
Queso
Superfly
SearPQX
FlyingNanook
NWA742
KBFISpotter:
L-188
Go3Team
MattRB

Maybe:
RJDxer
KaiGwyer

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 38):
 irked   wink 

I need more Kaladi Brothers before I start A-Netting in the morning.

searpqx

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:04 am

I'll stay wherever the group is staying, but don't count me in the block, I'll need to handle my own reservations. There are some advantages to working for the world's largest online travel agency you know!  Wink

Quoting DL021 (Reply 35):

Only if you bring your cannon! Big grin

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 40):
There are some advantages to working for the world's largest online travel agency you know

Well, maybe we'll make you the Hotel Concierge for this little expedition . . . connections and all ya know!  wink 

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 40):
Quoting DL021 (Reply 35):

Only if you bring your cannon!  biggrin 

Not like LAS, but there is an indoor range in Palmer - about 45 miles from here. No rental weapons, no autos, blah, blah, blah. Six lanes, nothing special.

Rabbit Creek is about 5 miles south of my condo - but I ain't going out there plinking ammo in January. Ditto Birchwood - about 20 miles north - where I'll be next week.

flyingnanook

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 36):
That can't possibly be their winter rates . . . right?

Those are the rack rates for January, but most hotels offer discounts (sometimes substantial ones) off the rack rates. Quite often, they will do discounts for Alaskans and visiting guests of Alaskans in winter, but you'd have to contact the hotel directly about that, not the central reservations.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):
Want to split that with me?
Only $50 a piece.

I'm not that much of a cheap bastard  Wink
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Superfly

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting FlyingNanook (Reply 42):
I'm not that much of a cheap bastard

LOL!  Silly

I didn't mean it in that way.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting FlyingNanook (Reply 42):
Quite often, they will do discounts for Alaskans and visiting guests of Alaskans in winter, but you'd have to contact the hotel directly about that, not the central reservations.

That's the plan.

I'll start with mid-Town hotels. And give a few downtown a shot. Post the rates, let everyone vote.

dl021

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 30):
Gore-tex is for wet weather.

it's good for cold weather if you ahve the right layering with polypro and wool. From experience.....if you aren't going to be moving or sweating then of course down is better....

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 41):
Not like LAS, but there is an indoor range in Palmer - about 45 miles from here. No rental weapons, no autos, blah, blah, blah. Six lanes, nothing special.

I'll bring the hand cannon....probably not the signal gun....

L-188

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:48 am

Is that the same gun club that you can get CMP weapons through?

Ditto Birchwood - about 20 miles north - where I'll be next week

I have been told that Birchwood is a bit less stuffy of a range because it isn't state run-of course this was the guys that run Birchwood telling me this.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 46):
Is that the same gun club that you can get CMP weapons through?

Yes. Right on the Glenn about 4-5 miles out of town (Anchorage side).

Quoting L-188 (Reply 46):
have been told that Birchwood is a bit less stuffy of a range because it isn't state run-of course this was the guys that run Birchwood telling me this.

We shoot there, just like APD, every 6 months. It's a great range. The only backdrop is Knik Arm . . . an occasional goose/duck is a casualty, but not much else. Better selection of ranges and targets also. Fees are higher, but doesn't matter. Get what you pay for.

captaink

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:39 pm

Count me on that list, i am serious about this.. Big grin
There is something special about planes....

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 48):
Count me on that list,

My pleasure!

List Again - Alphabetized

ANCFlyer
CaptainK
DL021
FlyingNanook
Go3Team
KBFISpotter
L-188
MattRB
NWA742
Queso
SearPQX
Superfly
WrenchBender

Maybe:
RJDxer
KaiGwyer

I'd love to come but I'm a puss and can't possibly make it:
EWS  duck