GAIsweetGAI
Topic Author

Bach: Fast Or Slow?

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:06 am

I'm currently playing a few pieces by Bach (namely the preludes form English Suites 2 and 5), and I just found myself wondering how fast his pieces should be played. Fast, to make the piece more interesting but harder to play? Or slow, easier to play and to keep a "baroque" feel to it?

Thoughts?
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

CastleIsland

RE: Bach: Fast Or Slow?

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:46 am

Many interpretations of Bach (at least those committed to recordings that I have heard) are taken at a fairly brisk tempo, and I question whether that was the tempo originally conceived by the composer. I tend to prefer up-tempo pieces, but a somewhat slower tempo might be more "authentic."

Then again, I could be wrong. Wink
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

pelican

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting GAIsweetGAI (Thread starter):
I'm currently playing a few pieces by Bach (namely the preludes form English Suites 2 and 5), and I just found myself wondering how fast his pieces should be played. Fast, to make the piece more interesting but harder to play? Or slow, easier to play and to keep a "baroque" feel to it?

This won't help you much but nonetheless I say play it how you feel it should be played. By the way on what do you play them. For a "real" baroque feeling you would probably need a harpsichord. Therefore I (and I don't play an instrument) would say don't be impressed form the baroque origin.

pelican

GAIsweetGAI
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 2):
By the way on what do you play them. For a "real" baroque feeling you would probably need a harpsichord.

I play them on the piano (I also play the organ), but I would really like to try a harpsichord one day.

[Edited 2007-04-17 23:10:39]
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."