727LOVER
Topic Author

Korean Americans Fear Backlash

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:58 am

Judge by the content of his character, not by the color of his skin.

What if the shooter had been caucasian?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18178194/site/newsweek/

Comments on this article.
Love Trumps Hate

MDorBust

RE: Korean Americans Fear Backlash

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:12 am

Quote:
wrote one unnamed commentator on the Sepia Mutiny blog.

I don't think there's much to worry about here.

One turd on a blog that no one has ever heard of does not constitute much of a backlash.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Halcyon

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:15 am

My roommate, Jun, is Korean, and besides a few jokes between him and his AF buddies there has been nothing. He feels that his country has been dishonored by that madman, but as far as a backlash...nope. I really can't see why there would be either.

Luke

AC773

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:22 am

Way to go America, let's have a repeat of the Muslim harassment after 9/11.  Yeah sure
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

fumanchewd

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:28 am

I don't think there will be a backlash. Vietnamese were worried when that Hmong guy killed all of those hunters a couple of years ago in Sawyer County, but nothing happened.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

cedars747

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
Korean Americans Fear Backlash

It's normal and human ! it will take some time to forget,just see what's happening to Arabs and Muslims in general

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

LASoctoberB6

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:48 am

why do americans always do that? i dont understand that.....thats just stereotyping the whole korean community
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

Halcyon

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 7):
why do americans always do that?

Please read:

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 7):
i dont understand that.....thats just stereotyping the whole korean community

Not to be offensive, but as an American, you just stereotyped me. I don't think that this is really a big deal, because no one I've talked to has seen any credibility to a backlash.

Once again, I don't want you to be offended by what I've said, but I don't think it's much of a problem.

cedars747

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 8):
Not to be offensive, but as an American, you just stereotyped me.

Hehe ! nice one and very true ! how fast you are giving facts Halcyon !

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

TedTAce

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:59 am

There are updates to the story in: Shooting At VA Tech (by FriendlySkies Apr 16 2007 in Non Aviation)
This space intentionally left blank

ANCFlyer

Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:04 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 2):
Quote:
wrote one unnamed commentator on the Sepia Mutiny blog.

One turd on a blog that no one has ever heard of does not constitute much of a backlash.

Tend to agree. A couple of idiots out there will likely lose their minds (Westboro Baptist Church type idiots) otherwise, I don't see it.

Quoting AC773 (Reply 4):
Way to go America, let's have a repeat of the Muslim harassment after 9/11.

Not that I agreed with the Muslim harrassment post 9/11, but if you're comparing the two, might I suggest the following: Apple/Oranges = not the same.  sarcastic 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AsstChiefMark

Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 4):
Way to go America, let's have a repeat of the Muslim harassment after 9/11

You silly sot. Apples and oranges. You can't compare a plot orchestrated and carried out by a band of looney Arabs over a period of several months to the actions of a single person.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

redngold

Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:47 am

Cho had been in the United States since he was eight years old. He was a resident alien, not on a travel or student visa. His parents reside in Virginia. I wonder if he even had an accent to his speech. As far as I can tell (which is mostly speculation, but what isn't on this board?) he was Korean only in physical features. He was probably as American as just about anyone else on that campus.
Up, up and away!

LASoctoberB6

Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 8):
Not to be offensive, but as an American, you just stereotyped me.

i also stereotyped myself.....

AsstChiefMark

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 14):
I wonder if he even had an accent to his speech.

His voice reminds me of a hearing-impaired person speaking.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Confuscius

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:13 am

This guy grew up here in the States. He's more Apple Pie and Chevrolet than Kimchi and Hyundai.

[Edited 2007-04-19 02:19:18]
Ain't I a stinker?

SJCRRPAX

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 14):
Cho had been in the United States since he was eight years old. He was a resident alien, not on a travel or student visa. His parents reside in Virginia. I wonder if he even had an accent to his speech. As far as I can tell (which is mostly speculation, but what isn't on this board?) he was Korean only in physical features. He was probably as American as just about anyone else on that campus.

My kids attend a majority Asian High School in California and from my experience I can say he lived in two worlds. Most likely he spoke English without an accent but was also fluent in Korean. If he wasn't such a loner and if there were sufficent number of Koreans in his high school, the vast majority if not all of his friends would likely be Korean. From my kids high school experience I can say almost all the kids self segregate, between Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Koreans, Indians and whites. The only ones who cross ethnic boundries are usually on the football team, or are Video Gamers. His parents if they were typical Asian probably pushed him to excel beyond his abilities, and he may have cracked. An English major is somewhat unusual for most Asians (at least the ones coming from my kids high school) and I could imagine that would cause problems with the parents. If he had went to my kids high school he would feel as much Korean as he does American, if he went to a High school without any Koreans he might feel very isolated. Koreans in Korea feel very sad about this event because you don't stop being a Korean if you have Korean Parents. Korea is a nation, a culture and a race of people all rolled into one such that a first generation immigrant Korean child will always remain a Korean.

redngold

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:22 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 18):
Koreans in Korea feel very sad about this event because you don't stop being a Korean if you have Korean Parents. Korea is a nation, a culture and a race of people all rolled into one such that a first generation immigrant Korean child will always remain a Korean.

But Koreans don't go around shooting up schools with guns, do they? Sadly this scenario is becoming as American as apple pie.
Up, up and away!

SJCRRPAX

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 19):
But Koreans don't go around shooting up schools with guns, do they? Sadly this scenario is becoming as American as apple pie.

There really is no difference between races of people. Every race has crazy people that will kill at the drop of a hat if given access to a gun. Please read about the Woo Bum-kon massacre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woo_Bum-Kon

NWA742

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 2):

checkmark 

We're always going to see morons on blogs regardless of the issue. I don't see this "backlash" going much further than that. Hell we have the WBC out there lashing against the victims for heavens sake.

I doubt Korean-Americans have much to fear over this.

Most are well aware that race/ethnicity had nothing do to with what happened. A deranged, mentally ill asshole did.

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 15):

Just to be clear - by saying this are you retracting your previous statement?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Halcyon

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 9):

Hehe ! nice one and very true

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 15):

Just to be clear, I think that this whole thing is fairly ridiculous and out there...but, I also think that stereotyping like this (Koreans or Americans) is being unfair.

But I see from what you are saying now that it was actually not in seriousness, or at least you don't believe it?

Anyhow, good day all.

Lucas

ltbewr

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:59 am

I doubt that there will be a backlash against Koreans in the USA for Cho's act. There is plenty of ignorance, prejudice and stereotyping Koreans (and other Asians) by others they have to face in other ways from their food, their culture, the ability to drive and so on, so I don't think it will make things worse. Mental illness crosses all ethnic and racial groups, and Cho's acts will be seen in that context.

LASoctoberB6

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:20 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 23):

well ya, meant to edit the post, but it was just a question, wasnt really tryin to stereotype anybody, sorry 'bout that

HOMER71

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:17 am

I'm half-Korean...should I be worried?  Yeah sure

My wife did ask me "What's with you Koreans?!?", she remembered that deranged Korean who started a fire in Daegu's subway and killed 200 people a few years ago...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Halcyon

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 24):
Sad that anyone should feel that one person's action--or 40 people's actions, or 100 people's actiions--should be held against a whole group.

I completely agree.

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 26):

Don't worry about it. I sometimes worry about my reading comprehension skills anyhow.  Wink

jetjack74

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:55 am

Well #1, anyone who might "take out anger on Koreans" probably couldn't tell a Korean person from Chinese person. #2 Clear-thinking individuals(which is 90% of this country) aren't going to sandbag an entire community of Korean immigrants because of this nut. If this was a turf-war type deal in New York City or Boston, then they might have something to be scared about. This is a random act of violence that could've been committed by anyone, regardless of race or national origin .
Made from jets!

TIA

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 6):
why do americans always do that? i dont understand that

It's not just Americans. In fact, if anything, stereotyping is less prevalent in the US than in other countries/nations.

agill

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 6):
why do americans always do that? i dont understand that.....thats just stereotyping the whole korean community

That kind of thing hapens in any country. Just remember what happened in Holland after the van Gogh murder.

MaverickM11

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
Comments on this article.

What backlash? This article doesn't even mention one meaningful incident. I think this is creating a story where there is none.
E pur si muove -Galileo

EWRCabincrew

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:42 am

One f***ing a** SOB does not constitute a blanket generalisation for the majority. Never has, never will. It's an unforunate side affect of it, though. People with any intelligence know the difference. It is the idiots of society that assume that one of a group somehow equates all.

Ignorance isn't so much bliss as it is a pathetic way to cover up short-comings in your own life.

The media will now somehow put spins on the situation and bring his ethnicity into it and cause all sorts of unnecessary drama.
You can't cure stupid

jaysit

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:51 am

People will boycott kimchi.

Good. More kimchi for the rest of us!
Atheism is Myth Understood.

EWRCabincrew

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:18 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 30):
Good. More kimchi for the rest of us!

Mmmmmm. Kimchi. Good food. Can't get enough of it.
You can't cure stupid

fumanchewd

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 30):
People will boycott kimchi.

Or maybe we'll just call it Freedom Cabbage.

ltbewr

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:56 am

While we worry about backlash of Koreans due to Cho's massacre (and in an above post, I discussed that it should be de minimus), the media was reporting today (Thursday) that Cho apparently faced prejudical and racist beheavor toward him when he was in high school. He apparently was quite shy, when younger had issues with his ability to speak, didn't seem to have any friends, seemed to have difficulties with relationships with women, seemed to be an extreme loner, not involved in any school related activities and may have had early stages of mental illness. It appears that Cho's fellow high school or any of Cho's teachers there ever took actions to condenm such beheavor. I bet if such beheavor was ever directed to a Black student, there would have been protests. It is possible that the hate of those students and the lack of actions against it may have contibuted to his horrible acts.
Hate is an illness that can have horrible effects. To blame other Koreans for his beheavors and horrible acts is wrong.

jaysit

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 33):
It is possible that the hate of those students and the lack of actions against it may have contibuted to his horrible acts.

Quite possible.
But once again, being the subject of racial taunts as a child doesn't a mass murderer make.
Its probably a combination of social factors combined with Cho's own mental make-up that made him do what he did.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

foppishbum

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:12 am

Not just Americans. . .I'm Taiwanese with a little bit Japanese blood. Someone random on campus asked me if I were Korean. When I answered him no, I'm Taiwanese, the guy told me (and quote) "You're all Asians."  Angry

Cheers,
foppish bum
Taiwanese-American :D

fumanchewd

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting Foppishbum (Reply 35):
When I answered him no, I'm Taiwanese, the guy told me (and quote) "You're all Asians."

Not to be offensive, but that is correct. Did he say it in a derogortory manner? Was he wearing a button that read "Bomb Kaohsiung!"?

I'm just saying that there are alot of ig'nant people out there who can't tell the difference between an Innuit and an Egyptian. Maybe he was just stupid and you are being sensitive.

If he said it with any hint of cynicism, then my apologies. I will apologize for him on behalf of dumb white people everywhere. Smile

foppishbum

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 36):
Did he say it in a derogortory manner?

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 36):
If he said it with any hint of cynicism, then my apologies. I will apologize for him on behalf of dumb white people everywhere.

I'm not too upset about that and of course I know what he said is true  tongue . The only thing I am annoyed about is his tone. . .very blunt sarcasm. But oh well, ignorant people will always be ignorant people. But seriously though, the gunman had mental health issues since two years ago so I really don't consider this a "racial" thing.

Cheers,
foppish bum
Taiwanese-American :D