Derico
Topic Author

The 2010 World Cup Needs To Arrive Quick!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:13 pm

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1r2zp_gol-de-messi-al-getafe-180407

Messi, Aguero, Palacios, and some other players in the Argentine league should be hitting their stride then.

That with a veteran defense... The only risk is that they all peak before mid 2010.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

LTU932

RE: The 2010 World Cup Needs To Arrive Quick!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:20 pm

It's a universal problem, not just Argentina is affected. Our team has had its peak last year and by the end of Euro 2008, we need to have a few replacements for the few veterans we have, like Bernd Schneider, Oliver Neuville and Jens Lehmann. The goalie question will be the most critical because we still don't have replacements that can fill the void Lehmann will leave after he retires. A few other players, who are currently in their prime, like Ballack and Miroslav Klose, will be hitting their 30s by the Euro and as we've shown in the World Cup, offensive play, and lots of young players have given us a great performance.

And in the case of Argentina, they seem to change their team very often, because I hardly know who most players are when a new World Cup comes (I didn't even hear of people such as Messi, Tévez, Ayala, Sorín and Abbondanzieri before the World Cup started). So here's a slightly OT question for all Argentinian A.nutters: what do you think will be the odds for Argentina in the future, most of all with coach Alfio Basile, who replaced Peckerman. They don't seem to have had a good start, especially in the match against Brazil in England. I hope Argentina will get stronger, because in the case Germany has to play against them in South Africa, we want to play an Argentina as aggressive and determined as they were especially during Mexico 86 and Italy 90.  Wink

That being said, I fully agree with the thread title: The 2010 World Cup does need to come quickly, because I can't hardly wait for it.  bigthumbsup 

kiwiinoz

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:33 pm

No not yet!! The glorious NZ team has just slipped to 132nd spot, according to the FIFA website. Which means that is the WC was held today, we would be comfortable if we ended up facing Gambia, but God help us if we were unlucky enough to be drawn against those might men from Lichtenstein!!!

Andreas

Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
The goalie question will be the most critical because we still don't have replacements that can fill the void Lehmann will leave after he retires. A few other players, who are currently in their prime, like Ballack and Miroslav Klose, will be hitting their 30s by the Euro and as we've shown in the World Cup, offensive play, and lots of young players have given us a great performance.

Excuse me??? Goalie a problem??? Did you by any chance hear the names of Robert Enke, Timo Hildebrand, Rafael Schäfer, Manuel Neuer, Tim Wiese, Roman Weidenfeller? That's more good keepers than England will have in about 200 years..Goalie is definitiely NOT our problem!

Pal, we are OVERSTAFFED with great keepers!!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Derico
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:25 am

Ok, guys, but no one commented on the real reason of the topic...

Geez, what's wrong with A.netters?? Usually so opinionated and they have nothing to say about Messi.  conehead 

Banco

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 4):
Usually so opinionated and they have nothing to say about Messi.

He's brilliant. Thus, he must be hacked down at the earliest opportunity.  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

carmenlu15

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:45 am

Geez, what's wrong with A.netters?? Usually so opinionated and they have nothing to say about Messi.

My sincere opinion? He's cute.  tongue 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

LTU932

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting Andreas (Reply 3):
Pal, we are OVERSTAFFED with great keepers!!

True, but we still have NOT found a new number 1. I know we have excellent goalies like Weidenfeller, Enke, Schäfer, Neuer and Wiese, but IMO none of them have so far proven themselves in the team. The time after Euro 08 will be critical, because we might have to go back to the Rotationsprinzip, rotating goalies at least in Friendly matches.

Banco

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting Andreas (Reply 3):
That's more good keepers than England will have in about 200 years..

I don't where you get this idea that England has no keepers from. The only dodgy one we've had in recent times has been David James. Seaman was fine, he just got too old - rather like Oliver Kahn.

yooyoo

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Derico (Thread starter):
The 2010 World Cup Needs To Arrive Quick!

Already?
This thread is locked.

Signed,
KROC
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

LTU932

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
The only dodgy one we've had in recent times has been David James.

Don't you mean David Robinson and how he allowed a harmless backpass to become a Neville own goal in that qualifier match against Croatia?  stirthepot 

Banco

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):
Don't you mean David Robinson and how he allowed a harmless backpass to become a Neville own goal in that qualifier match against Croatia?

Paul Robinson.

Poor lad. Wasn't much he could do about that one, was there? I've often thought that back passes in the direction of the goal are an accident waiting to happen. But trust me, even I laughed at that one.

LTU932

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 11):
Paul Robinson.

I stand corrected.

Wasn't much he could do about that one, was there?

Probably not, except perhaps take the ball into his hand, which would have been a rule violation, unless Neville had headed it towards Robinson (then the backpass rule wouldn't apply).

I've often thought that back passes in the direction of the goal are an accident waiting to happen.

Only since the backpass rule was introduced, banning goalies to take a backpass into his hands in order to prevent game delays.

even I laughed at that one

It was just ridiculous. Regardless of whether the ball suddenly bounced on the grass or not, this shouldn't have happened, but it's still funny as hell. Big grin

Banco

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 12):
Only since the backpass rule was introduced, banning goalies to take a backpass into his hands in order to prevent game delays.

Mate, I'm old enough to have played as the goalkeeper under the old rules. That change was a bloody good reason to stop as far as I was concerned.  Wink

Andreas

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
I don't where you get this idea that England has no keepers from.

Don't know, seems to have slipped my mind... Wink

The only dodgy one...Calamity James...erm...if you say so

MUAHAHAHAAA!!!!  rotfl 

Andreas

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Ok, guys, but no one commented on the real reason of the topic...

What was it again...o yeah, next WC...ah I see you're in desperate need of another a$$-kicking like in Berlin last year.

But why can't you wait another 3 years. It's not that long really....

jush

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Enke should be number but he's already quite old...
But he's still better than Wiese and Hildebrand. They can catch up and fight for the job as goalie after Enke quits.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Andreas

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:34 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):
Enke should be number but he's already quite old...

Sorry??? Enke is 29...do you recall the age of Lehmann when they declared him Number one...that's barely 1 year ago, and he is what...37, 38 now? Enke does have at least 2 WCs and one EC to play in his prime age as a keeper.

And btw, Hilde is 27, just 2 years younger, and Wiese will never make his way into our national side...reasons are well-known, Loew knows what kind of a keeper he needs, and Wiese is not one of them, regardless of the rantings and ravings of BILD.

aussie18
Crew

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:24 pm

Paul Robinson.

Poor lad. Wasn't much he could do about that one, was there? I've often thought that back passes in the direction of the goal are an accident waiting to happen. But trust me, even I laughed at that one.

What else do you expect from a Spurs player.....Quite amusing moment but their were rumours that Robinson was distracted by the advertising board alongside the pitch advertising "Borat" at the time of the attempted kick.

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:27 am

Messi's goal against Getafe was of the highest order, technically speaking it was unbelievable, it reminded me of Maradona's mazy dribble against England all those years ago. Only South American players can dribble like that. There are two players in world football right now who can become as good as Pele or Maradona, they are Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
In Arsene we trust!!

Derico
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 15):
What was it again...o yeah, next WC...ah I see you're in desperate need of another a$$-kicking like in Berlin last year.

But why can't you wait another 3 years. It's not that long really....

This commentary is so like out of topic... but I'll indulgue you.

How many people on this planet or in this site consider a 1-1 tie by Argentina playing in Berlin, Germany, against..err... Germany, an a__ -kicking??

Besides that, did Germany win their world cup?? But Glad to hear your "arse-kicking 1-1 tie" against Argentina makes up for being eliminated about 4 days later.

rootsair

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting Derico (Thread starter):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1r2zp_gol-de-messi-al-getafe-180407

Messi, Aguero, Palacios, and some other players in the Argentine league should be hitting their stride then.

That with a veteran defense... The only risk is that they all peak before mid 2010.

QUUUUEEE GOLLAAAZOOOO! to be honest that goal deserves to be qualified as amazing as Maradona's goal in 1986 against England.... Messi is just incredible. too bad he plays for Barça and not for Real Madrid Big grin.

I just can't wait for that day Argentina wins a world cup again !!!!!!!!

airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

aviationmaster

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:11 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 20):
How many people on this planet or in this site consider a 1-1 tie by Argentina playing in Berlin, Germany, against..err... Germany, an a__ -kicking??

Going out on penalty kicks is always an a-kicking... I should know, just look at my team's performance at the World Cup against the Ukraine.

Besides, some on the Argentinian team were surely acting as if they had just received an a-kicking after the game ended  Wink

LTU932

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:29 am

In all fairness, any Germany vs Argentina game is an ass-kicking for both parties involved.  Wink

That being said, Germany is always dangerous in Penalty Shootouts. After having gone through the embarassment of Euro 76 (all thanks to that sad excuse for a player named Uli Hoeneß kicking the ball to the crowd), we've been far too successful in Penalty Shootouts. Even England envys us for that.  Wink

Derico
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting AviationMaster (Reply 22):
Going out on penalty kicks is always an a-kicking... I should know, just look at my team's performance at the World Cup against the Ukraine.

Penalties are the luck of the draw (unless your goalkeeper keeps a cheatsheet on his socks).

The actualy 120 minute game, which I think counts more than some 10 penalty kicks, was nothing but a stalemate at best (and actually, Argentina had by far more ball posession throughout the game, they just didn't kill Germany in a few counterstrikes when the game was 1-0).

aviationmaster

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:10 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 24):
Penalties are the luck of the draw (unless your goalkeeper keeps a cheatsheet on his socks).

I do not think so.

E.g. the way the Swiss team f**k up the penalty kicking against the Ukraine was not bad luck, they simply just sucked and did not have the necessary coolnes for such situation.

Argentina had by far more ball posession throughout the game

A team having more ball posession does NOT mean that they were the better or more dominant team. And the German team on that day was far away from being overrun by the Argentinian side.

In the end what lost you all the penalty kicking was Lehmann's little Spickzettel  Wink

Derico
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 25):
A team having more ball posession does NOT mean that they were the better or more dominant team. And the German team on that day was far away from being overrun by the Argentinian side.

You are saying that (and I didn't say neither side overran the other), but then you come back and say Germany overran Argentina. Sorry I just didn't see that!  sarcastic 

aviationmaster

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 26):
but then you come back and say Germany overran Argentina. Sorry I just didn't see that! sarcastic

Neither did I  Wink because if you reread my post, I never wrote that Germany overran Argentina.

You wrote that Argentina had more ball possession, and I simply replied by saying that having more ball possession does not necessarily mean that one team was dominating or better than the other.

(and actually, Argentina had by far more ball possession throughout the game, they just didn't kill Germany in a few counterstrikes when the game was 1-0)

The way that part is written lead me to think that you meant" ball possession = dominating the game". If that is not so, then I apologize.

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 25):
And the German team on that day was far away from being overrun by the Argentinian side.

The quoted part does not mean that the Germans were overrunning Argentina, but that the game was very much balanced between the two teams despite the Argentinian team having more ball possessions.

Andreas

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:53 pm

This commentary is so like out of topic... but I'll indulgue you.

Besides that, did Germany win their world cup?? But Glad to hear your "arse-kicking 1-1 tie" against Argentina makes up for being eliminated about 4 days later.

WOHOHOOOOO....our sorest a.net loser at it full blast...yes I remember your rantings and ravings last year...didn't YOU tell the world that the fistfight after the game was actually started by the Germans...making you probably the only person in the world believing this nonsense   

Which reminds me of 1990....but then, it wasn't an a$$-kicking either, right? Well suit yourself!

As for ball possession: right, that's the one thing Argentinians and Engerlanders have in common: You just don't get the point of the game! It's goals, pal, and ONLY GOALS!!

"How many people on this planet or in this site consider a 1-1 tie by Argentina playing in Berlin, Germany, against..err... Germany, an a__ -kicking??"

Quite a few, even more than just a few!!! But then you don't seem to follow European football too closely so such a statement is excusable!

And no, we didn't make it either...but you know, 3rd place is just better than being kicked out in the quarterfinals...just ask the Engerlanders. AH! Another thing in common... Big grin

Oh and btw: 3 (THREE) WC wins is just more than 2, plus 4 more finals, just in case you're out of numbers.

[Edited 2007-04-23 11:55:26]

N1120A

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
The goalie question will be the most critical because we still don't have replacements that can fill the void Lehmann will leave after he retires.

You guys have the answer, he just happens to play for Schalke.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Andreas

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
You guys have the answer, he just happens to play for Schalke.

Or for Hanover, or for Stuttgart this season, or for Stuttgart next season, or for Bremen (don't think so) or for Dortmund...no, not really a problem there Big grin