SRforever
Topic Author

Do You Lock Your House Door?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:11 am

I'm just watching Bowling for Columbine and Michael Moore ist just checking out Canada where nobody seems to lock their house door.

Well, I'm living in Switzerland, which lots of people seem to think of as heaven (I don't for sure) and I always lock my house door. So what about you?

ShyFlyer

RE: Do You Lock Your House Door?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:13 am

Quoting SRforever (Thread starter):
So what about you?

Always, even though I live in a quite, crime free neighborhood.
I lift things up and put them down.

carmenlu15

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:15 am

I can't think of one single person in this place who would leave their door unlocked...
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

paneuropean

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:19 am

I am from Holland, where everyone walks on wooden shoes. We have tulips in our yards and our main concern is to protect land from the sea.

Every Sunday we go to church and our neighbours will always keep an eye on our property so to keep strangers away from our homes.

There is no need to lock our doors anytime

airfoilsguy

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:21 am

I lock the house, I lock the car, I also carry a gun. I wish I didn't have to do any of if.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Braybuddy

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:51 am

Depends on what you mean, "lock your door"! Just close it, or bolt or double lock it as well? At night I just close it, but set the alarm.

I live on a terrace of six houses, right in the heart of my town. During the day if I'm out in the sun or go across the road to the shops I often leave it wide open. Not for long though.

GQfluffy

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:56 am

Quoting Paneuropean (Reply 3):
I am from Holland, where everyone walks on wooden shoes. We have tulips in our yards and our main concern is to protect land from the sea.

And most of you have "raisin" thumbs... Big grin
This isn't where I parked my car...

ajd1992

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:10 am

Around here, if you leave it unlocked, you're asking to be burgled. It's one of those places that isn't rough, but it has many stupid people (Usually with ASBOs)

Halcyon

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:11 am

In Montana...don't need to.

In Arizona...the door is auto-lock.

Lucas

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:13 am

Front door yes (although I've found it unlocked in the morning occasionally, and nothing's gone missing), but the back sliding glass door, hardly ever (since you'd have to risk life and limb to get up to the balcony).
International Homo of Mystery

aace24

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:13 am

For those of you that answer no.

Your address would be appreciated.  Wink

Braybuddy

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):
Front door yes (although I've found it unlocked in the morning occasionally,

Yep, those one night stands can be SO careless when they leave . . .

NWA742

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:18 am

All the time, car as well.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:21 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 11):
Yep, those one night stands can be SO careless when they leave . . .

Don't you know it! But at least I didn't have to cook 'em breakfast.  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

Queso

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:23 am

Yeah, I do now. When I was growing up we never did.

ronglimeng

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 am

I'm living in one of the Canadian cities where Michael Moore has spent some time. We (my wife and I, most people we know) always lock our doors. We don't live in a dangerous neighbourhood but locking the doors just seems like the right thing to do.

My parents always locked the house when we were kids, at least at night. I guess I learned from them.

I automatically flip the lock on when I come back inside. I've often locked my wife out, trapping her in the garden which is fenced. She gets really peeved when that happens.

Yellowstone

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:43 am

We always kept our door locked when I lived at home in San Jose, and now that I'm here at college it bugs me no end when my roommates prop the door open with a shoe or something and forget to move it when they leave the room. I have no desire for my stuff to get stolen.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Femme

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
Always, even though I live in a quite, crime free neighborhood.

Yup me too. On VERY odd occasions when one of us is on the way out as the other is due in, then the front door is left unlocked, but that's rare. I am the one who insists of locking both the back doors (Conservatory included) whereas he would leave the place open. Fortunately for us we also live in a quiet housing estate, but I won't take that chance !

Claire
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

saxdiva

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:19 am

Doors are locked when we're not home. When I'm home alone I try to remember to lock 'em, but I don't worry too much if I forget... the dogs keep a pretty good eye on me.

Duff44

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:34 am

Always locked.... I always lock my car too, even when it's in my own locked garage  yes 

Of course with keyless entry it's just habit.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

RichPhitzwell

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:38 am

In general, yes. But we dont worry about it to much.

When I was in College in Chico, we didnt even have keys to the front door. Kinda Funny
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

ZBBYLW

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:14 pm

Well me and my roommate lost our keys about a month ago, and even then we would use it only about 50% of the time. We live in a really good part of a decent town. I used to always lock the does but my roommate at home where he used to live in Vancouver would NEVER lock the door, so out of habit I would get to the house and its unlock and basically it started from there.

The worst habit I had which I picked up from work is leaving the key in the door... We had a fuel shed that we would only unlock to go in, and lock when we leave. Every single one of us who worked there would always get complaints about us at home leaving our keys in the door.
Keep the shinny side up!

NWADC9

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:33 pm

I ALWAYS lock the door, even when I'm in the house! I can't hear what's going on downstairs with my CPU fan and air purifier going, so someone can easily sneak in and have a free-for-all. Front door is always locked, because that's the only way to close it; the latch is stuck open, so the door doesn't close without being locked.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Braybuddy

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:50 pm

One of my friends told me recently she'd been out checking her elderly mother's house. She lives on her own in a bungalow, right smack in the middle of a nearby coastal town. This woman is one of life's harmeless old dears who somehow has reached the ripe old age of 83 without being mugged, burgled or worse. She's in the early stages of Alzheimers,and bumbles through life blissfully unaware of modern dangers, so she obviously needs constant attention.

The old dear was down the country visiting another daugher and my friend came out to check that the house was okay. She was walking round the garden and happened to notice something small on the windowsill, sitting right next to the potted plants. On closer investigation she realised it was a copy of the front door key, and, just in case any potential burglars didn't realise this, had a tag attached to it, with the words "Front door" written on it in her mother's neat handwriting.

WestJetYQQ

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 23):
The old dear was down the country visiting another daugher and my friend came out to check that the house was okay. She was walking round the garden and happened to notice something small on the windowsill, sitting right next to the potted plants. On closer investigation she realised it was a copy of the front door key, and, just in case any potential burglars didn't realise this, had a tag attached to it, with the words "Front door" written on it in her mother's neat handwriting.

Wow, That's a little bit nuts even for us Canadians.  Wink

I lock my door if I leave for more than maybe 30 minutes, but If i ever forget I never think twice, and ignore the option of returning. We live in a quiet, rural, crime free area ('cept for some local crackpots Wink) Sometimes I don't even bother to take the keys out of the cars ignition.

Overnight the door is closed not locked or alarmed, none of the vehicles are locked either.

Hey, This is what guard Dogs are For!  Smile
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

HAWK21M

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:51 pm

My Apartment door has four locks, A double door & a alarm.
The Thief will probably get tired trying.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

skidmarks

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:56 pm

We usually lock the front door if we go out or at night. Doesn't matter if you forget, there is so little theft here. The backdoor is usually left open (well, unlocked). I've also left my garage door wide open by mistake and the car. People just dont do that sort of thing here.

I mean, you empty a house, where are you going to go with the stuff? Only two ways off the island - Ferry or Fly. If you fly, you're restricted on baggage and the ferry is easily patrolled. And trying to flog nicked stuff on here is like putting your head in a noose. Everyone knows everyone else!! Big grin

ANdy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

QFA380

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:12 pm

We never lock our doors, they're usually wide open for the dog. We used to leave the garage open but then we got a car that couldn't be replaced so our garage is very much locked.

I've never heard of anyone being robbed in our area.

cedars747

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:22 pm

Do You Lock Your House Door?

It's not necessary here in Tromsø-Norway.Many times we sleep without locking the door!

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

agill

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:27 pm

I try to remember to lock the door when I go inside so I know where I put the keys. But quite often forget I forget.

MCOflyer

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:39 pm

I lock my door all the time. Rockledge, FL may be crime free, but I prefer to keep it locked for the safe side. Safety first is what my mom always says about locks.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

gunsontheroof

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:34 pm

Nope. The front door might get locked on occassion, but the side door is always open. Olympia is a pretty safe place. That said, stay away from my house!

flipdewaf

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:06 pm

My door at the house in bath locks by its self when you close it but the house in yorkshire cant be found so there is no need to lock it.

And what with the angry guard dog there is no chance of anything getting stolen.
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9614/fatty1mo8.jpg

Fred

Daleaholic

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Unless I'm near the door or able to hear it. It's always locked, day and night, every door is. We have an alarm which monitors all our outside doors and rumblers on the windows, movement sensors. A few years ago we had an opportunist open our front door and scan the wall for keys... luckily we have never kept keys anywhere near the front door, or any door for that matter. We got a bar put onto the door after that, so we can open the door a small way without having to make ourselves vulnerable. I always put this bar across as well as having the door locked.  Smile

DOORS ALWAYS LOCKED!  thumbsup 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

KSYR

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:23 pm

We lock our front, back, side, garage doors. Robbery is pretty common in Fayetteville, and you never can be too careful.

FighterPilot

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:15 am

We don't lock our house door, or vehicles doors. But I live in a town of 3500 where you know everyone so.....

Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

kaddyuk

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:32 am

I dont have a house to lock...  Sad
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

TheCol

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:36 am

Canada where nobody seems to lock their house door.

I think it's safe to say that most Canadians keep their door's locked these days.  Wink
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

BigOrange

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:38 am

Most nights we lock the doors and if we are going to work we lock them, but if we are just running to the store or going out for dinner we don't lock it.

The stupid pit bull in our house would scare anyone, but you're most likely to get bitten by the sheltie/shepherd mix, with the pit bull licking you until you leave!

TransIsland

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:56 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 2):
I can't think of one single person in this place who would leave their door unlocked...

I was in Guatemala about 20-25 years ago, staying with friends who lived in a house that didn't have a door! However, at about the same time nobody in Nassau locked their doors either. These days, I lock not only my front door, but the garden gate, too.  Sad
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

a380us

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 10):
For those of you that answer no.

Your address would be appreciated. Wink

well i dont necissarily lock it all the time
but my adress is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW D.C., US
you should stop by some time
www.JandACosmetics.com

ScarletHarlot

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:53 am

We always keep the doors locked, except if we're out working in the yard. We also put the alarm on at night. We live in a nice semi-rural neighbourhood, but there have been thefts on our street and a home invasion shooting on a nearby street. The home invasion was targeted, or else I might feel less safe.

In Thunder Bay we always locked the doors at night and when we were out, but they were unlocked when we were at home.
But that was when I ruled the world

flymia

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Daytime no as long as there is someone in the house the back entrance to the house is always unlocked. But at night all doors are locked at the last person to go to sleep turns the alarm on. And when there is no one in the house doors locked and alarm on.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

LTU932

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:56 pm

Even though there's a small police station about 50 metres from my house, we ALWAYS lock the front gate, the door, and also the garage gate.

FighterPilot

Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 41):
In Thunder Bay

Ahhh Good Ol' T-Bay

Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:13 pm

I always lock the house door and the car, but I know several people who don't, just because of the principle of not wanting to acknowledge that times are changing. They will eventually find out the hard way...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

glydrflyr

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 10):

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C

Please be polite to the armed guys in those little houses at the driveway. They won't let me in anymore.

Signed

William Jefferson Blythe Clinton
if ya gotta crash, hit something soft and cheap!

carmenlu15

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 39):
I was in Guatemala about 20-25 years ago, staying with friends who lived in a house that didn't have a door! However, at about the same time nobody in Nassau locked their doors either. These days, I lock not only my front door, but the garden gate, too.

Times do change, don't they...  Sad

Though I guess I can consider myself lucky, since I live in a safe neighborhood in the middle of nowhere... The front door is locked as a matter of principle, but the garage door is always unlocked. Actually, the idea was to leave the garage open without a door, but the neighborhood kids used it as a ramp for their bicycles, so we had to close it. Also, we've left the back door unlocked a few times, and so far nothing has happened... then again, a thief would likely kill himself trying to get into the backyard. Big grin

I have to say, though, that the neighborhood is surrounded by a tall wall with barbed wire, and we have cops in the only entrance.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

mika

Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 15):
I automatically flip the lock on when I come back inside. I've often locked my wife out, trapping her in the garden which is fenced. She gets really peeved when that happens.

Just throw out some amenities through the window and i'm sure she'll be ok  biggrin 

vaporlock

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:13 am

Always........

Phyllis  bouncy