AM744
Topic Author

Attending A Classical Concert In NYC

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:45 pm

So, I'm going to NYC next week, and I got a ticket for an 8:00PM concert at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center. My place is in the second tier. My question is: What would be an appropriate attire for the ocassion. Do people assist to these events in formal dressing, like suits and ties? Down here at Mexico City a tie is not required, what about NYC? Thanks a lot for the insight.

VSlover

RE: Attending A Classical Concert In NYC

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:14 pm

hey, thats great to hear you are headed to the symphony!

now, as someone who goes to events at lincoln center or carnegie hall at least 4 times a week, i can say that you will find a WIDE VARIETY of dress for such events.

first, you are so lucky to be seeing anne sophie-mutter in performance--that will surely be a treat!

two weeks ago at the opera i was in the same row as a girl in a TRACK SUIT! my god! now people are rarely THAT casual, but you should wear what you will be comfortable wearing! some days i go in jeans and a sweater...some days i go straight after work in a suit, so i have worn both, but more often i am fairly casual because i feel comfortable and thats all that matters.

stay away from the track suits though!