1stfl94
Topic Author

Americans And Manual Gear/stick Shift

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:03 am

OK I've starting having driving lessons and been talking to a few American friends and was shocked that none of them can drive a car with manual gears, they all just went straight into automatics. It just seems odd cause it only took me a couple of lessons to get used to a clutch and gears but they haven't even tried it. So if anyone has any answers greatly appreciated. Thanks

EWRCabincrew

RE: Americans And Manual Gear/stick Shift

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:08 am

I had to learn on a manual. My parents wouldn't let me get my license otherwise. Love and prefer manual. You have more control over the vehicle that way.

I also find that a lot of my friends don;t know how to drive a manual vehicle. Kind of funny.
You can't cure stupid

JJJ

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting 1stfl94 (Thread starter):
So if anyone has any answers greatly appreciated.

It's a cultural thing. They have big petrol autos, here it's small manual diesels.

Max oversimplification, but there's no need to look further into it.

ANCFlyer

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 am

I had manual shift in the last three trucks I owned. Not in the one I have now. In fact, it's rather difficult to find a BAFDT with a manual tranny. And I looked. I prefer them actually - especially since I bought this truck as a tow vehicle for the camper.

I was told by the local dealer he could order one, but didn't understand why I preferred it over the ease of an Automatic.

I think it comes down to more of the "Lazy American" syndrome. Faster, cheaper, quicker, easier . . . blah, blah.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LHMark

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:19 am

I chose an automatic for the Element because I thought it would make it easier to sell in the future. Most of my cars, though, have been manual. Nothing feels as good as a VW 5-speed stick shift.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

desertjets

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:19 am

Well considering that automatic equipped cars have out sold manual equipped cars for the better part of 50 years it isn't shocking that so few Americans can drive a manual. I never learned simply because we never had a car in the family to learn on. And I never had any friends kind, or brave enough, to let me behind the wheels of their cars to learn. (it wasn't like either of those cars were priceless treasures).

TBH I don't think driving a manual is all that difficult, though for some it seems a challenge to do it well. I had one former roomie/friend who was just awful shifting, I felt sorry for the transmission.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

ZBBYLW

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
I think it comes down to more of the "Lazy American" syndrome. Faster, cheaper, quicker, easier . . . blah, blah.

checkmark  I think this is exactly the problem. I am going to add Canada in here as well. I know people with the attitude that why should I shift when I can get something to shift for me. Personally I love a standard and as far as I see it there is not a chance that I would be found buying a car with an automatic tranny.
Keep the shinny side up!

dl757md

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:29 am

I'm not sure why Americans prefer automatics over manuals. It could be that an automatic allows you to multi-task better. Why shift when you can be talking on your cell phone, eating, putting on makeup, or shaving? I know that a lot of people have issues learning how to drive a stick but once you get the hang of it it's not hard and you don't really forget. I sometimes still reach for the clutch when driving an automatic with a center console gear selector. I too prefer a manual.

On a related note. Why do European drivers rev their engines to redline before shifting to the next gear? I noticed this while in Scandinavia and when a Swedish girl once drove my Subaru here in the states. I thought she was going to throw a rod through the crankcase. She was going 65 down the interstate on third gear!

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

ManuCH
Crew

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:31 am

I did my license on a manual car "just because" - nobody even thought of something else. Then, a few years later, I tried an automatic: now I'm only buying automatics, and there's no turning back, ever.

As JJJ says, it's a cultural thing. Everyone over here thinks I'm totally crazy and that automatics are for "old people". Yeah right, try driving an Audi or VW with the double-clutch DSG sequential automatic ...  checkeredflag 

Whenever I try to explain how comfortable an automatic is (you don't have to press that clutch, no gear changing when you don't feel like it, etc), the usual answer is "yes but nobody wants an automatic, really, period". Not even those few soccer moms I talk to see the point.

I mean, I can understand someone who just loves that gear lever and the clutch, but that's a different issue. For me, an automatic can be as sporty as a manual, or even more, if you pick the right brand. And if your purpose is just to get around (as in "the car must carry me from A to B, I don't care about the rest") I really don't see the point in having to mess around with gear lever and clutch, when we're in 2007 and some electronic gizmo can take care of it. Otherwise, according to that very same reasoning, let's remove ABS and electronic traction control from cars as well

[rant]
If it were for me, I would outlaw manual transmissions for all those who are unable to drive them. It happens too many times that some blond 18-year-old chick (sorry girls) stalls the engine because she is unable to figure the right amount of accelerator and clutch pedal force!
[/rant]

[Edited 2007-04-23 20:34:42]
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

1stfl94
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting Dl757md (Reply 7):
On a related note. Why do European drivers rev their engines to redline before shifting to the next gear? I noticed this while in Scandinavia and when a Swedish girl once drove my Subaru here in the states. I thought she was going to throw a rod through the crankcase. She was going 65 down the interstate on third gear!

That just depends on how good the driver is. Also depends on the car, the first car I learnt was a diesel Mazda which needed gear changing at about 1,500 revs whereas I'm now in Fiesta which goes up to 3,000 before demanding a change.

RIHNOSAUR

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:39 am

Let me just start by saying

I love Manual transmission. And it is sometimes frustrating because every time I have bought a car I want a manual.....but it is very hard to find them. Or at least here in the US, manuals are definitely a specialty...the standard is to drive an Automatic.
People say.."wow man you drive a stick.." like if that where some really hard thing to do.

However, there are advantages..when I was in college and people wanted to borrow my car....i would give them the keys....5 min later ..they would come back and say...
oh man ..I can't drive a manual...!!
So no one really wanted to borrow my car...

another added bonus:
you can start the car by rolling it (if your battery is dead) and starting it.

Personally i find automatic cars..boring..sort of like driving a go cart. This is why just recently when i bought car..I had to wait an extra week for the dealership to get hold of a manual for me. They said...."man why did you make it so difficult for us..."

hahaha! Big grin  Big grin
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

1stfl94
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting RIHNOSAUR (Reply 10):
People say.."wow man you drive a stick.." like if that where some really hard thing to do

Yeah that's what I really don't get, why people find it so hard. I only know two people close to me who can't use a manual and both tried.

FriendlySkies

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 5):
Well considering that automatic equipped cars have out sold manual equipped cars for the better part of 50 years it isn't shocking that so few Americans can drive a manual. I never learned simply because we never had a car in the family to learn on. And I never had any friends kind, or brave enough, to let me behind the wheels of their cars to learn. (it wasn't like either of those cars were priceless treasures).

Same thing here. I'd love to learn, but none of my family has a manual, and my friends who do won't let me near it (again, they all drive heaps of crap that wouldn't be missed...). I've only driven a manual once, it was a 5-speed New Beetle. I was proud that I got it going on my first try, but of course stalled it five times in a row at the first stop sign.  Wink

RIHNOSAUR

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 11):
Yeah that's what I really don't get, why people find it so hard

if you think about it, i t actually IS harder to drive...better yet , there is a much harder learning curve for a manual than for an automatic. So It is my opinion that the reason why people find it harder is becasue it takes a little longer and a bit more effort to learn. In general in the US, people are inpatient and want things right now with minimal effort, which is why learning a manual is just too time consuming.

other reasons IMO why they are not popular is because:

1. You cannot eat drink talk on the cell and drive at the same time
2. Too much effort during driving
3. Marketing in the US has always favored the automatic IMO

I would also like to add the fact that it is my impression that reliability wise and robustness, the manual transmission is somewhat superior than an automatic.
OK yes you need to change the clutch every once in a while, but that is a wear condition not a malfunction. I have had several old cars (until recently) and compared to identical cars, but with auto transmission in them, I can say that most manual transmissions will outlast the automatic one. It makes sense to me, there are less moving parts in a manual and in general it is a far simpler system thus less stuff to brake down.

This is all my personal impression though.

cheers

JJJ

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting RIHNOSAUR (Reply 13):
1. You cannot eat drink talk on the cell and drive at the same time

...for which you can get a good fine and some points off your license in most countries in Europe and many other countries (like Kuwait, which also favours auto trannies).

Sabena332

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 8):
now I'm only buying automatics, and there's no turning back, ever.

checkmark 

I agree 100%!

I learnt to drive on both manual and automatic, I drove cars with manual transmission for approx. 10 years and I still drive a car with manual trasission most of the times. You guys know what? Yes, manual transmission sucks big time! I clearly prefer automatic, today's automatic transmissions are very good (especially in Audi and VW cars),

Yeah right, try driving an Audi or VW with the double-clutch DSG sequential automatic ...  checkeredflag 

I agree again!

The Audi A8's 6-speed tiptronic is a masterpiece, it recognizes if you want to drive sporty or rather relaxing. The same for the VW Golf's tiptronic, a friend has the 100hp TDI model and it performs very good with the automatic. The aforementioned tiptronics are also very economical, they almost never switch to the first gear, only when you are below ~5 kph.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Banco

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:20 am

That might depend on the car. I suspect VVT engines are more commonplace over here than in the States, and if you change gear before hitting the redline, well...that just takes all the fun away.  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

airfoilsguy

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:23 am

I always have at least two cars. My daily driver is always an auto where as my sports car is a manual. I like manuals better for driving aggressively. My dad is getting an Austin Martin with the paddles on the steering wheel. I have yet to try that but it sounds like a good idea.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

RIHNOSAUR

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 15):
The Audi A8's 6-speed tiptronic is a masterpiece, it recognizes if you want to drive sporty or rather relaxing. The same for the VW Golf's tiptronic, a friend has the 100hp TDI model and it performs very good with the automatic.

thats all good fine and dandy .....but for those of us not seeking to get the sportiest, and relatively more expensive models that are out there...if you want more fun in a relatively cheap car.....the manual is the way to go.
what i mean is...:
what would you prefer, a automatic Toyota corolla or a manual...an automatic Honda civic or a manual Honda civic...

you have to take into account what you pay also....so basically yeah there are these killer auto transmissions out there...but they also cost much more and usually come in the more expensive models...

In the states the manual version of the car (if available) is usually $1000-2000 cheaper than the auto conterpart.

cheers

futurecaptain

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:25 am

I personally learned to drive in an automatic, took the test in one, my current car is an automatic. It's just simple, no thinking required when driving, multitasking is easier, ect.

My parents made me learn to drive stick about a year after getting my license, at the time I didn't want to. I mastered our manual Nissan pickup from the early 80's, the thing was so horribly hard to drive and shift but it was fun. Nowadays I like driving stick, but have gotten rusty at it since I never do. My parents made me learn in case of an emergency where I had to drive someone else's car to the hospital or something and it happened to be stick. After driving our crappy truck every manual vehicle I've driven since has been easy.

Anyway, just my little learning to drive story.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Sabena332

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting RIHNOSAUR (Reply 18):
what would you prefer, a automatic Toyota corolla or a manual...an automatic Honda civic or a manual Honda civic...

Difficult to answer, it depends on the HP of the car and the performance of the transmissions, I would definitely test drive both manual and automatic.

In the states the manual version of the car (if available) is usually $1000-2000 cheaper than the auto conterpart.

Same here, automatic is usually 1000-2000 EUR more expensive (depends on the model). Yes, it is expensive but a proper automatic is definitely worth the money IMO.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

RobertNL070

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:27 am

Give me manual transmission anytime. Because he has been operated on his right arm several times, my father-in-law drives an automatic. I have driven his car a few times, and well it is kind of creepy, weird not having to do anything.

No, I like to drive my cars properly, not just steer them. Twenty-six years' driving experience and I doubt very much if I'll ever switch to an automatic.

Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

freedom4all

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:41 am

I recently purchased a brand new car, i ordered a 5 speed, i could not belive how hard it was to find, my dealer had to order the car from Conn. i live in NY. I prefer to dive stick, i love to drive and it impoves the experence and makes it more fun, plus its easier to spin the wheels!!  Big grin
long live the 747!

AirTranTUS

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 am

Why shift when you can be talking on your cell phone

Ever try doing both at the same time? It's not easy.

All the drivers on my family can drive manual. Three of our vehicles have manuals, and my mom's van is automatic because you can't get a minivan with a manual in America.
I learned on my dad's 4Runner, which is difficult because it weighs 2 tons.
I love ASO!

LOT767-300ER

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:12 am

I did my license on a manual car "just because" - nobody even thought of something else. Then, a few years later, I tried an automatic: now I'm only buying automatics, and there's no turning back, ever.

checkmark 

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 15):

I agree 100%!

I learnt to drive on both manual and automatic, I drove cars with manual transmission for approx. 10 years and I still drive a car with manual trasission most of the times. You guys know what? Yes, manual transmission sucks big time! I clearly prefer automatic, today's automatic transmissions are very good (especially in Audi and VW cars),

checkmark 

thats all good fine and dandy .....but for those of us not seeking to get the sportiest, and relatively more expensive models that are out there...if you want more fun in a relatively cheap car.....the manual is the way to go.
what i mean is...:

Automatic. Why would you need a manual Corolla or Civic? Both of them are not sporty nor fast nor can you drive agressively in them.

I learned to drive on a manual first (Ford Sierra 1.6L) before legal age, then legally on automatic in the USA on a Ford Thunderbird.

Both of my cars are automatic, and the next one will be auto too. Ill just drive manual when Im in Europe and need to drive someones car or a friends car here. I really dont worry about 1-2mpg (and todays automatics are very efficient compared to ones last decade and before) as both of my cars have big engines to begin with and I make enough money to pay for gas. No need for me to be driving a stick in Chicago or here in Florida.

There are very few cars in the American market that I can think of that really warrant a manual, off the top of my head the S2000, GTO, CTS-V, Corvette, Viper, M3, M5, AMG, Firebird WS6, Supra, STi, 911 and Evo (+ pickups for towing) lead the list...

ZBBYLW

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:40 am

The funny thing is... the M5 does not come with a Standard anymore.... its a shame, instead you have to settle on those flappy things  Wink Or what I would do if I were to win lots of money... buy a 550 then twin turbo charge it  Wow! and some other fun mods, so it can beat a M5.... but you can get the 6 Speed for it.
Keep the shinny side up!

andessmf

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:44 am

IIRC, only 5% of cars sold in the US now are manual transmission.

IIRC, because manuals are non-standard (or unavailable in most cars), having manual transmissions in more expensive now.

walter747

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:46 am

I'm learning how to drive a manual. It's quite difficult to get just the right balance of gas and klutch. Switching gears while moving is easier Big grin. Hah. I'm starting to get the hang of it. It's actually quite amusing.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

fumanchewd

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:51 am

I learned to drive in a 1963 Willy's Jeep pick up. Manual three gears with no syncros. If you didn't hit the gear at the perfect rpms it would give you a pretty good bite up the two and a half foot stick.

Drove a 69 VW Bug quite for 4 years as well.

Also had a 1974 MGB.

I have driven alot of sticks and it is always fun, but at times it gets old and if you do alot of stop and go, auto is more accomodating.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

halls120

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):
I had to learn on a manual. My parents wouldn't let me get my license otherwise. Love and prefer manual. You have more control over the vehicle that way.

Same here.

I also find that a lot of my friends don;t know how to drive a manual vehicle. Kind of funny.

I currently drive an Acura TL with a 6-speed MT. Love it, wouldn't think of driving anything else.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

PHLBOS

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:56 am

Quoting 1stfl94 (Thread starter):
So if anyone has any answers greatly appreciated. Thanks

Once upon a time, many American models offered both manual and automatic transmissioned cars on even large cars. By the 1960s, with a few exceptions, most standard/full-size cars only offered automatics (this was especially true w/large luxury cars). By the end of the '70s, nearly every mid-size car came only w/automatics. For most of the '80s; if you wanted a manual shift, you either went with a sporty car or an economy compact; domestic or import.

I believe one reason why many younger American drivers may not know how to drive a manual is because they're not as plentiful/available as they were back then. Even though all my personal vehicles have been full-size models (V8s & automatics); I did make the effort to learn to drive a manual on an old '72 Ford Pinto wagon my father owned at the time (1982).

Back in the '70s & '80s; many people opted for manuals because they usually got better mileage than their automatic counterparts (even when equipped w/the same engine) and accelerated better. Now, most don't want to be bothered w/shifting. Plus, if one lives in a hilly area; stopping and then going on the uphill (without rolling back) can be a challenge.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

jamincan

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:11 am

I've only ever driven with a manual transmission, except once when I was driving a friend home in his car. I can appreciate that it can be more convenient, especially for city driving, but it was very strange not having to shift. I kept reaching for the clutch as I was accelerating.

SJCRRPAX

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:15 am

I consider shifting to be a trivial skill at best, and I am amused by Europeans who seem to think they have mastered a skill similar to being a concert pianist because they can drive a manuel. I also firmly believe that the days of manuel transmissions are limited. Try finding a Toyota Prius Hybrid with a manuel. The computer will take over this job for sure, just like fly-by-wire. My problem now is should I find a car with a manuel transmission so my son can learn shifting, or should I just skip it and wait for the manuels to go the way of the manuel choke and crank starter . I think the proper way to teach driving is to first do it with an automatic, and than after driving awhile introduce the stick. I figure my son can learn to shift in a few days, since he is quite good with 88 Keys and 3 pedals.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 am

The first car I had (1991 Honda Accord my parents passed down to me when I turned 16) was a manual and the Nissan Frontier I drive now is a manual. My dad's Toyota Camry is a manual, but my mom does have a Camry with automatic.

Manuals are so much more fun to drive and if you drive them correctly, are slightly more fuel efficient too.
But my general belief is automatics are for whussies (unless you live in a major city and have to deal with severe rush hour traffic, than an automatic is understandable).

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 32):
I think the proper way to teach driving is to first do it with an automatic, and than after driving awhile introduce the stick.

That's what my parents did. In fact, I didn't even get to touch the manual transmission until after I had my license.

I think it's important to learn though, because you never know if you'll find yourself in a situation where you'll need to know how to drive one. And it's like riding a bike. Once you learn, you don't forget.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):

I thought manuals were cheaper....both cheaper to purchase and better gas mileage if you drive them correctly. Don't know about maintenance though.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

ZBBYLW

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:30 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 29):
I currently drive an Acura TL with a 6-speed MT. Love it, wouldn't think of driving anything else.

WOW... that is certainly a rare combination...How hard was that to get?

My problem now is should I find a car with a manuel transmission so my son can learn shifting, or should I just skip it and wait for the manuels to go the way of the manuel choke and crank starter .

I would say teach him how to drive a stick, it is the best way to go for sure... You have alot more control of a car with a Manual Gearbox...

Also for those who have said that the Manual Gearbox is going to disappear... I am going to disagree with that... There is still and will always be a market for a car with a Standard... I for one will never make the switch, and I am sure many other people feel this way, I believe the option is always going to be out there... I think companies like VW, Audi, Porsche and the like will always make the Manual Gearbox...
Keep the shinny side up!

UALPHLCS

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:32 am

My very first car was a manual. I grew to love it. I've wanted to get one again ever since. But I've settled for boring Ford Taurus' twice. I swear that y next car will be a manual. I miss the feeling of control I got from my manual transmission.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

jetjack74

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:32 am

I learned on a manual shift because it was going to be my car. I had an automatic for awhile but now back to driving a manual again.
Made from jets!

dl757md

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
and if you change gear before hitting the redline, well...that just takes all the fun away.

Couldn't agree more when driving aggressively. But cruising at a constant speed down the interstate at redline in third gear is just annoying not to mention hard on the engine and the fuel economy.

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

A346Dude

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:05 am

I wish I could drive a stick, but I have only driven automatics so far so I haven't learned how to. The first car I buy will definitely be a manual.

I only ever drive with one hand anyways, so it would give the other hand something to do... (don't even go there  Wink )
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

SJCRRPAX

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 34):
I believe the option is always going to be out there... I think companies like VW, Audi, Porsche and the like will always make the Manual Gearbox...

Your choice of cars will start to get limited. For example, I read somewhere that General Motors is sitting on a Hybrid design that will go 100+ miles on the charge it gets over night, and is just waiting for the battery technology to catch up which I heard is almost there. I'm sure some cars will have simulators for you, kind of like Boeing using the yoke still. Here is an interesting article

Starts out:

Add manual transmissions to the endangered species list
By John Pearley Huffman, Contributor Email

Date posted: 04-20-2006
Buy BMW's high-performance M5 sedan or M6 coupe and you get the seven-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) in the bargain whether you like it or not. Porsche promises that its latest version of the 911 Turbo will run from zero to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds when the driver has a six-speed manual transmission to stir — but only takes 3.4 seconds when there's a five-speed Tiptronic automatic aboard. Somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of the Ferrari F430s that come to America have the "F1-inspired" electronically triggered and hydraulically actuated transmission installed. Every Mercedes SLR McLaren comes with a five-speed automatic. Where the high end goes, the rest of the industry eventually follows. And the way this is going, the clutch pedal is doomed.

finish here:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=110078

san747

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:22 am

I learned to drive a manual too. The only thing I ever found difficult about it is being stopped on an upward slope. The rollback that you get before you move again always made me uneasy...

Otherwise, I love it! And now that means, in an emergency, I'm able to drive any car the situation calls for.
Scotty doesn't know...

ANITIX87

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:26 am

I had to learn on a manual.

I wanted to learn on a manual. To avoid confusion, I live in the USA, despite the flag next to my name. That was my only condition for my new car. I didn't care if it was a 1976 pick-up truck with no bed on it, as long as it was stick, I would have been happy.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

halls120

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 34):
uoting Halls120 (Reply 29):I currently drive an Acura TL with a 6-speed MT. Love it, wouldn't think of driving anything else.

WOW... that is certainly a rare combination...How hard was that to get?

Well, to get the 6 speed MT in the color I wanted, I had to purchase the car in New York, and I live in Virginia.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

MCOflyer

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:44 am

It could be that an automatic allows you to multi-task

I can tell some stories about doing this.

I want a manual for fun driving. In the next year, I will get one and not be automatic pussy. I do have a SUV right now though.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

fumanchewd

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:45 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 40):
And now that means, in an emergency, I'm able to drive any car the situation calls for.

Know how to put a classic Bug in reverse?

And even more important than knowing how, could you actually do it?  Smile

trvyyz

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:57 am

I used manual for 12 years (mainly in India) and Automatic for four years here in Canada. In Indian traffic, manual is actually an unpaid labour work. I would always prefer an automatic if I don't care about gas mileage or transmission maintanence costs. the manual shifts actually make you tired while drving for hours with lot of shifts and not on exactly a freeway.
i still try to shift gears on a stick with my left hand  Smile

[Edited 2007-04-24 02:58:05]

LOT767-300ER

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 am

I consider shifting to be a trivial skill at best, and I am amused by Europeans who seem to think they have mastered a skill similar to being a concert pianist because they can drive a manuel. I also firmly believe that the days of manuel transmissions are limited. Try finding a Toyota Prius Hybrid with a manuel. The computer will take over this job for sure, just like fly-by-wire. My problem now is should I find a car with a manuel transmission so my son can learn shifting, or should I just skip it and wait for the manuels to go the way of the manuel choke and crank starter . I think the proper way to teach driving is to first do it with an automatic, and than after driving awhile introduce the stick. I figure my son can learn to shift in a few days, since he is quite good with 88 Keys and 3 pedals.

Hopefully they will not get rid of spelling lessons in American schools.....

halls120

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:28 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 46):
Hopefully they will not get rid of spelling lessons in American schools...

teach spelling in American schools? That was abandoned years ago, along with lessons on proper grammar.  Wink

fumanchewd

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 47):
That was abandoned years ago, along with lessons on proper grammar

Ha, ha! Take that and shove a comma Lot!  Wink

SJCRRPAX

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 46):
consider shifting to be a trivial skill at best, and I am amused by Europeans who seem to think they have mastered a skill similar to being a concert pianist because they can drive a manuel. I also firmly believe that the days of manuel transmissions are limited. Try finding a Toyota Prius Hybrid with a manuel. The computer will take over this job for sure, just like fly-by-wire. My problem now is should I find a car with a manuel transmission so my son can learn shifting, or should I just skip it and wait for the manuels to go the way of the manuel choke and crank starter . I think the proper way to teach driving is to first do it with an automatic, and than after driving awhile introduce the stick. I figure my son can learn to shift in a few days, since he is quite good with 88 Keys and 3 pedals.

Hopefully they will not get rid of spelling lessons in American schools.....

I've always been told that if you misspell a word you should be consistent, which I was but the spell check for some reason corrected the spelling and the wrong spelling was still in the post. Guess I need to learn the secret of the spell check. It's probably normal for Americans to misspell manual, because we like stuff to be done automatically.