Topic Author

Ethiopian Rebel Group Kills 74 Oil Workers

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:50 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1177...580393.html?mod=home_whats_news_us

"Gunmen Kill 74 Workers in Raid
On Chinese-Run Oil Field in Ethiopia
Associated Press
April 24, 2007 10:06 a.m.

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia -- Gunmen raided a Chinese-run oil field in eastern Ethiopia on Tuesday, killing at least 74 workers and kidnapping seven, an official of the Addis Ababa-based company said. An Ethiopian rebel group claimed responsibility.

"The attack happened this morning. Nine Chinese were killed, seven Chinese workers were kidnapped and 65 locals were killed," said Xu Shuang, the general manager of Zhongyuan Petroleum Exploration Bureau, which is part of China Petroleum & Chemical Corp."

http://www.jeuneafrique.com/fluxafp/fil_info.asp?art_cle=36454

"Neuf Chinois et 65 Ethiopiens travaillant sur un site d'exploration pétrolière dans l'est de l'Ethiopie ont été tués mardi par des hommes armés qui ont également enlevé sept ressortissants chinois lors d'une attaque attribuée par les autorités éthiopiennes à des rebelles.

L'attaque a eu lieu contre les installations de la compagnie Zhongyuan Petroleum Exploration Bureau, situées à Abole, une petite ville à 120 km de la capitale de l'Etat Somali, Jijiga, dans la région Ogaden, a rapporté l'agence officielle chinoise d'information Chine nouvelle.
"
E pur si muove -Galileo

cfalk

RE: Ethiopian Rebel Group Kills 74 Oil Workers

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:59 am

I'll be interested to see how the Chinese react. Is this their first experience with such terrorists?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 1):
Is this their first experience with such terrorists?

I think they have plenty of domestic experience but I don't know about threats to their economic pursuits
E pur si muove -Galileo

HAJFlyer

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:56 am

IMHO the Chinese government values energy security higher than a few individual lives. I would expect them to beef up security, but not to address the issue on a political level, as they are afraid of being accused of meddling in another country's internal affairs.

jaysit

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:27 am

Apparently the Chinese are giving Europeans a run for their money with respect to investment in Africa. Ethiopia's getting a large chunk of it. The Chinese may raise a stink, but they'll do it quietly with the Ethiopian government. Africa's overrun with cheap Chinese goods, and I doubt if China will jeopardize those markets.

This is an interesting development though, isn't it? From the perspective of the Chinese, not the Ethiopians really.

I doubt if the attack was an anti-Chinese one. Does anyone know? At first glance, it appears to be an attack against the Ethiopian government.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 4):
Does anyone know? At

It was an attack against any Ethiopian development in the Ogaden region by the aptly named Ogaden National Liberation Front, according to the Meles Zenawi's spokesperson. In 2006 the ONLF said it would not "tolerate" gas exploration in the region as long as they are denied self determination.
E pur si muove -Galileo

jaysit

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 5):
In 2006 the ONLF said it would not "tolerate" gas exploration in the region as long as they are denied self determination.

Oh well.

Look for increasing sales of Chinese armaments to the Ethiopian government.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:19 pm

And of course Ethiopia accuses Eritrea of being behind the whole thing....

http://www.jeuneafrique.com/jeune_af...e.asp?art_cle=AFP14727attaqerhtyr0
E pur si muove -Galileo