rootsair

First Habitable Planet Discovered!

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:57 pm

A North American and European team lead by a Swiss group of astronomers from Geneva have discovered an exo planet, 20,5 light years away that could be habitable as traces of water have been found! It is around 5 times bigger than Earth .
This is a major discovery and these next years the planet should be studies in more depth.

More info on this link ...

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...e0d-41fc-abac-962d28c418ea&k=26343

Cheers

BM

[Edited 2007-04-25 12:58:06]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Klaus

RE: First Habitable Planet Discovered!

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:06 pm

First evidence of a potentially habitable planet discovered... just to keep the qualifications straight...!

Beaucaire

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:09 pm

..there are potentially millions of planets comparable to planet earth in the universe,considering the billions of galaxies ...
I don't understand the frenzy to get all exited about this discovery - what use will it be for humankind to explore this planet ??
What use is it to send people on mars ? Just because it's there ?
The billions invested on a Mars-trip are better spend on research on alternative aircraft-propulsion systems .
Thers is water and comparable temperatures than to our climate - will that be enough reasons to invest billions of $ to explore this further ?? I am convinced we are not the only breed in universe - it's just to remote to consider that among the trillions of stars we would be unique...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

rammstein

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:13 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
20,5 light years

This detail makes some interesting news totally useless news.

[Edited 2007-04-25 13:26:28]
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Banco

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 2):
I don't understand the frenzy to get all exited about this discovery - what use will it be for humankind to explore this planet ??

Firstly, because it's more evidence that earth might not be unique in having life (lots of "mights" there) and as for what use is it to do things, you might as well ask why bother to climb Everest. It's part of the human condition to see what's there.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

andz

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:33 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
First evidence of a potentially habitable planet discovered... just to keep the qualifications straight...!

So what do we live on then? If we are going to be totally pedantic....
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

flyingbabydoc

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:42 pm

With all that is going on in terms of pollution, over-population, deforestation and so on, it is really difficult to believe that there is still life on THIS planet...  Sad

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

rootsair

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 6):
With all that is going on in terms of pollution, over-population, deforestation and so on, it is really difficult to believe that there is still life on THIS planet... Sad

Well you and I posting in this forum seems to be a good evidence no ? Big grin
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Banco

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:50 pm

it is really difficult to believe that there is still life on THIS planet.

It's impossible for us to eliminate life on this planet. Only human conceit could think for a moment we could. We could eliminate ourselves but not life.

slz396

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:52 pm

What do you mean with 'first habitable planet discovered'?

I have a piece of a habitable planet in my back yard for years! Big grin

trvyyz

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 3):
20,5 light years

checkmark 

Exactly, whats the use when nobody can reach there.

flyingbabydoc

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
It's impossible for us to eliminate life on this planet

I would not be so sure. Eliminate completely the protection against UV rays and no DNA replication would be successful without severe mutations, on none at all. Since DNA methylation is so highly susceptible to UV light, it is feasible to assume that not even the toughest bacteria or virus would survive in an unprotected environment.

Alex

Klaus

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 11):
I would not be so sure. Eliminate completely the protection against UV rays and no DNA replication would be successful without severe mutations, on none at all. Since DNA methylation is so highly susceptible to UV light, it is feasible to assume that not even the toughest bacteria or virus would survive in an unprotected environment.

The oceans just below a depth of a few meters and many caves would still qualify as "protected environments". Life on dry land is the oddity, not the one in the seas.

TedTAce

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
It's impossible for us to eliminate life on this planet.

I guess that when our sun expands in a few billion years and the temperaure reaches a tepid 500 degrees (c), you'll just put on some extra sun screeen.  Yeah sure

(Yes I'm pulling #'s out of my a$$ in the following, but I'm sure I'm in the ballpark or conservative.)

I think it's kind of funny that we are getting excited about a planet that MIGHT support us being over 20 light years away. 5X bigger seems to tell me that it's going to have a lot more gravity then we can deal with (especially after 20 years in space). The next problem is that 6 months in space is a lot for humans FORGET about 20+ years. Oh and by the way, last time I checked, the fastest object we have is moving @ 1/10th of 1% of the speed of light, given Moore's law it will be about 200 years before we are even close to light speed. So at best I think we are stuck here for another 500 years. I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but good luck.

Oh and even if we MYSTICALLY came up with something (tomorrow) that could propel us at the speed of light (or better) and we 'moved' to that planet (presuming the planet could support us) What would make us different from these guys?

This space intentionally left blank

flyingbabydoc

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 12):
The oceans just below a depth of a few meters and many caves would still qualify as "protected environments". Life on dry land is the oddity, not the one in the seas.

Indeed, yet the food chain would have to be completely changed - even deep sea creatures are somehow dependent down the line on plancton which thrives on a "mild" sun.

Alex

jonathan-l

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 10):

We spend billions on space probes and such for a whole lot of things we will never visit.

Banco

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 13):
I guess that when our sun expands in a few billion years and the temperaure reaches a tepid 500 degrees (c), you'll just put on some extra sun screeen.

And what part of that is down to"us"?

I said it was impossible for humans to eliminate life on this planet, so no need to roll your eyes. Nature will certainly do it, because the earth has a finite life.

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 14):
even deep sea creatures are somehow dependent down the line on plancton which thrives on a "mild" sun.

Not so. This was thought to be the case until scientists discovered creatures that took their nutrients directly from volcanic fissures deep beneath the sea, not relying on the sun at all.

As above.

KROC

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 13):
Oh and even if we MYSTICALLY came up with something (tomorrow) that could propel us at the speed of light (or better) and we 'moved' to that planet (presuming the planet could support us) What would make us different from these guys?

We won't have really long dreadlock looking things danggling off of us?  confused 

TurkishWings

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:48 pm

an exo planet, 20,5 light years away

How long would it take to get there on a 777 ?  Wink

Honestly, how far is 20,5 light years ? How far is the sun in light years?
Coffee - Tea or Me?

jonathan-l

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 18):
How far is the sun in light years?

8 minutes

rammstein

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:00 pm

If I did my calculations correctly...

How far is the sun in light years

Speed of light = 299 792 458 m/s = 1 079 252 849 km/h

Edit: oops forgot to add the answer: The sun is 8 minutes light far.

how far is 20,5 light years

20,5 * 1 079 252 849 * 24 * 365 = 1.938122266*10^14 = 193 812 226 600 000 km

How long would it take to get there on a 777

Let's suppose 777 speed = 885 km/h, we have

1.938122266*10^14 / 885 = 2.189968662*10^11 hours = about 24 999 642 years

[Edited 2007-04-25 15:03:11]
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

HOMER71

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Honestly, how far is 20,5 light years ?

20.5 light years = 120 trillion miles

Can anyone confirm?
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Arniepie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 20):

We might be lucky and have a good tailwind.
[edit post]

Banco

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:07 pm

Ryanair are already calling it Saturn West...  Wink

N231YE

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 22):
We might be lucky and have a good tailwind.

A good tailwind provided by solar wind

Beaucaire

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:37 pm

This discovery shows the dilemma of astrophysics- they make great discoveries but completely useless for us "earthlings"...
In all honesty - I couldn't care less if they discover other planets or galaxies thousands of lightyears away- what good for us ??
There is still so many things to discover on our planet and in the seas,so why spend this money on scientist's wet-dreams. Did we ever benefit from the moon-landing ??? -
We can't even organize intelligently our air-traffic system in Europe and waste millions in useless air-path flight-detours. What the f... would we be studying life on mars or on the moon ,if we can't get our CO² issues handled on earth....
I'm a great supporter of science but not at any price for any remotely fetched justifications.
Most nations have budgets they allocate for research and science-but those allocations should be funneled into realistic projects .

scbriml

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
And what part of that is down to"us"?

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
Ryanair are already calling it Saturn West...

Ted and Ryanair pwn3d in two posts! Priceless. rotfl 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

yooyoo

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:45 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 21):
20.5 light years = 120 trillion miles

Better take the LR model.  Wink

Why?

I don't see much out of the box thinking here. One needs to have a "vision"

Hell, with that attitude 120 years ago, our main source of travel today would still be a boat.
 smile 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

jaysit

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 pm

Isn't that the planet Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kirstie Alley are from?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

desertjets

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 25):
This discovery shows the dilemma of astrophysics- they make great discoveries but completely useless for us "earthlings"...
In all honesty - I couldn't care less if they discover other planets or galaxies thousands of lightyears away- what good for us ??

By that same argument we could ask why our ancient fore fathers decided to start wandering about the place and get in boats to see what was over the horizon. When there were undoubtedly problems at home that could have been dealt with. Frankly to not be curious as to what is out there strikes me as odd.

Did we ever benefit from the moon-landing ??? -

If you look at the Apollo Program as just the moon landing, then probably not. But you need to look at all the other technologies that had to be developed or refined to make the mission work that we benefit from everyday. Just search for NASA spinoffs and you will see tons of commonplace technologies that were developed for or in part for use in space programs.

It is around 5 times bigger than Earth .

The article is quoted as saying Gliese 581 B is 50% bigger than Earth, not 500%. So that would be 1.5x the Earth's size.

And while 20.5 light years away isn't exactly around the block it is relatively close given the scale of our galaxy. But I harbor no delusions that we'll be in starships zooming across the stars anytime soon to meet our Gliesian neighbors.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Arniepie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:03 pm

20.5 lightyears away, this means they have The A-team and Knightrider on the tele by now, poor bastards no wonder they are going to have a hostile attitude toward us.
[edit post]

Beaucaire

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 29):
By that same argument we could ask why our ancient fore fathers decided to start wandering about the place and get in boats to see what was over the horizon. When there were undoubtedly problems at home that could have been dealt with. Frankly to not be curious as to what is out there strikes me as odd.

I said that I am a supporter and interested in science - with my engineering background I had some exposure to research.
But I would consider for instance more aggressive research on quantum -physics as valid research segment,since we are far from understanding how quantum physics works in detail.
The most recent results in atomic-particle tele-transportation offer extremely interesting applications,though far from "beam me up,Mr. Spook.." scenarios.
Nanotechnologies,material-science,artificial intelligence,advanced propulsion-technologies,satellite-technolgies but also research on tele-kinesis ,sensor-technologies or oceanographic exploration,bio-diversity studies in the rain-forests...
the list is endless but basically limitted by the criteria imposed from privately sponsored research funding.
The main-funds go into applied specific research rather than into "Grundlagen-Forschung" .
I see absolutely the need for basic fundamental research on matters that are not easily salable to the great public- but spending efforts and funds in remote-intergalactic exploration is too far from any conceivable results.

AirTranTUS

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:24 am

Calm down guys. That planet was probably destroyed 10 years ago in a black hole, but we haven't seen it, cause it will be another 10.5 years till we can.
I love ASO!

GDB

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:59 am

20 Light years is very close indeed.
Maybe, future better telescopes, for specific planet hunting, might provide better info on this world, chemicals in the upper atmosphere and such like. No chance if 100's of light years away, but ones like this new planet?
Time to think of an array of space based planet hunter scopes? To supplement the planned James Webb telecscope, having not really being built for this task.

There have been proposals for very fast unmanned interstellar probes, one idea is to have a hug scoop for the hydogen atoms that exist in so called 'empty' space, to power an advanced propulsion which of course, would be running constantly, unlike conventional rockets, building up in time, a velcocity that could enable the nearer stars to be reached within realistic timelines, that is, much better than 1000's of years, maybe even within several decades.
Trouble is, that scoop would have to be half the size of the planet Jupiter!

To do what the USS Enterprise does in Star Trek, with 'warping', you'd need to collapse a sun sized star for the required energy.

A much studied proposal in the 70's was 'Deadelous', an unmanned probe powered by very large numbers of small nukes, taking from Jupiter Orbit, about 50 years to get to Barnards Star, I think 6 light years away, but the crafts's velocity would mean a useable sensor based exploration of the target of some 70 hours!

Yellowstone

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:36 am

Did we ever benefit from the moon-landing ???

It gave us the hand vacuum, aka Dustbuster, for one.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

JGPH1A

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:42 am

If it's a DL flight, you can bet they still won't play the 2nd IFE program  Smile

...and will provide a bus shuttle service to Saturn for only GBP29,675,321,225,867,568,455,398,521.50 per person (Sat. only, weather permitting, subj. to cancellation)
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

777236ER

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:43 am

And in a A380, cruise speed of 912 km/h we have

1.938122266*10^14 / 912 = 2.12513406 *(10^11) hours = about 24 243 434 years.

So an A380 will save you 750,000 years!

PS. I'm glad to see you used Google too to do the maths!
Your bone's got a little machine

CastleIsland

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:50 am

20,5 * 1 079 252 849 * 24 * 365 = 1.938122266*10^14 = 193 812 226 600 000 km

Good luck with the ETOPS certification. Wink
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

AsstChiefMark

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:04 am

That's only a four day trip at warp 9.65.

Ensign... Set a course... Engage!

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

desertjets

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 37):
Good luck with the ETOPS certification.

They'll first need to develop a spaceport at 40 Eridani to handle any emergency diversions.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

deltadc9

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 2):

The only way the Human race can maintain its existence indefinitely is to leave Earth eventually.

Not to our children's children.

With all that is going on in terms of pollution, over-population, deforestation and so on, it is really difficult to believe that there is still life on THIS planet...

The Earth has seen much much worse and so has the Human race.

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
It's impossible for us to eliminate life on this planet. Only human conceit could think for a moment we could. We could eliminate ourselves but not life.

The Ice Age didn't kill us off, came close, but here we are.

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 10):

Didn't they say that about the moon 50 years ago, the short sightedness amazes me here.

Eliminate completely the protection against UV rays and no DNA replication would be successful without severe mutations, on none at all.

You realise what it would take to do that, right?

Quoting Jonathan-l (Reply 15):
We spend billions on space probes and such for a whole lot of things we will never visit.

That is a huge assumption.

That is a rather narcissistic view. Its not about you.

Did we ever benefit from the moon-landing ??? -

Are you serious?

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 38):

I KNEW someone would post "Enterprise time"
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

trvyyz

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 40):
Didn't they say that about the moon 50 years ago, the short sightedness amazes me here.

A light-year is a unit of distance. It is the distance that light can travel in one year. Light moves at a velocity of about 300,000 kilometers (km) each second. So in one year, it can travel about 10 trillion km.

Now tell me something that will move as fast with your long sightedness. Even if with your optimism somebody builds something that will travel at 300,000km per SECOND it will take you 20.5 years to reach there.
Moon and this planet are apple and oranges.

deltadc9

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 41):
Now tell me something that will move as fast with your long sightedness. Even if with your optimism somebody builds something that will travel at 300,000km per SECOND it will take you 20.5 years to reach there.

We already have theoretical designs that may attain up to 1/10th light speed, and NASA has been working on alternative propulsion for a long time. Give them a few centuries for Gods sake!

The whole thing like anything else hinges on necessity.

Moon and this planet are apple and oranges.

It was an analogy. And cheese and crackers might make more sense than fruit.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

CastleIsland

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:32 am

I hope you're not a scientist or an engineer. If they all thought things were impossible, we'd be living in the stone age. Sure it's unlikely, but anything is possible until it is proven otherwise. So far, it has not been proven to be impossible. Strive forward.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

MDorBust

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:39 am

And how long for a DC-8 full of souls?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

N1120A

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:45 am

it is feasible to assume that not even the toughest bacteria or virus would survive in an unprotected environment.

But the cockroaches will.

Actually, I heard it was going to replace HHN as their gateway to Frankfurt, Koeln and Luxembourg.  Wink
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

trvyyz

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 43):
I hope you're not a scientist or an engineer.

How many scientists or engineers really think it is possible?

Yellowstone

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 46):
How many scientists or engineers really think it is possible?

NASA used to have a team, IIRC, that was dedicated to theorizing about possible future propulsion technologies. Most of them involved tech that we don't have yet, but might have someday (think inertia cancelling and the like).
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 38):

Hmmm....but what is it at Ludicrous Speed?  scratchchin 

biggrin 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

northstardc4m

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 48):

Hmmm....but what is it at Ludicrous Speed? scratchchin

*spaceballs*

Then Sir!
When!
Then!
When will then be now?
We just missed it sir!
When!?
Just then sir!
...STOP!
But sir... i really..
JUST STOP!

*in the poor winnebago that we just missed*

OMG, they've gone plaid!

*/spaceballs*

praise 
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.