RichPhitzwell
Topic Author

SanFran/Oakland Bay Bridge Damaged, Again

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:47 am

My question is what happened with the replacement bridge? Arnie stopped it a couple of years ago becouse he thought the design was too expensive. Has work restarted yet and when are they supposed to have the new bridge up?

Anybody with recent pics of the new bridge or the damage to the old, please post them.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/s...70429-0928-ca-highwaycollapse.html

Edited for title, I think it happened on the Oakland side.

[Edited 2007-04-29 18:56:05]
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

hawaiian717

RE: SanFran/Oakland Bay Bridge Damaged, Again

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:57 am

The incident has nothing to do with the bridge itself, but rather occurred at a freeway interchange leading up to the bridge.

Better coverage from the SF Chronicle:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...?f=/c/a/2007/04/29/BAGVOPHQU46.DTL

RichPhitzwell
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:02 am

I thought the onramps would be replaced with the new bridge too, my mistake for assuming that.

Thanks for the link.
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

JeffSFO

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:16 am

Your title is misleading because the Bay Bridge wasn't damaged by last night's accident, it's the Interstate road connectors between I-880 and I-580 that were damaged. The bridge is a mile or so west of the scene of the accident:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...?f=/c/a/2007/04/29/BAGVOPHQU46.DTL

It's the "maze" that was damaged:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...9&spn=0.003991,0.007231&iwloc=addr

As for the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge, I think construction is ongoing after a new bid was received a year ago:

http://www.newbaybridge.org/medianews/2006_03_23_sfchron_2bids.html

johnboy

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:43 am

Man, that's gonna be REAL ugly for awhile.

andessmf

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Thread starter):
Arnie stopped it a couple of years ago becouse he thought the design was too expensive

It was too expensive by design. IIRC, Bay Area people essentially said that all should pay since the are is so high profile.

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 3):
It's the "maze" that was damaged:

The traffic will not be pretty from this damage.

Alessandro

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:06 pm

Why such dangerous goods allowed on public roads? Wouldn´t it be better to transport it by rail?
Is it only allowed to transport at night, risk for accidents are higher during night though?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 6):
Why such dangerous goods allowed on public roads? Wouldn´t it be better to transport it by rail?

Very few gas stations are connected to the rail network. It was a tanker truck bringing gasoline from a refinery to a gas station.

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 6):
Is it only allowed to transport at night, risk for accidents are higher during night though?

Might be true, but less people around should an accident happen.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Alessandro

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Kai, my mistake, I thought it was jet-A, but it was gas to a gasstation located at Oaklands airport.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

D L X

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:50 pm

When I lived out in the Bay Area, I was always amazed by the small number of ways into and out of the San Francisco peninsula. SF really is isolated, and now it is even moreso because the powers that be and the residents won't build another bridge or tunnel across the bay. I think there should be at *least* two more bridges or tunnels. But, even with this mishap, I doubt that will ever happen.

There are other cities with all their eggs in one basket like this - maybe they'll see this as a wake up call too. Can you imagine if this had happened in the Big Dig?

Superfly

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 9):
When I lived out in the Bay Area, I was always amazed by the small number of ways into and out of the San Francisco peninsula. SF really is isolated, and now it is even moreso because the powers that be and the residents won't build another bridge or tunnel across the bay. I think there should be at *least* two more bridges or tunnels. But, even with this mishap, I doubt that will ever happen.

There was a 'south bridge' that was proposed way back in the 1950s that was supposed link Cesar Chavez Bl. the Oakland Airport/Hagenberger bl.

http://www.cahighways.org/maps/1955trafficways.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

deltagator

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
There was a 'south bridge' that was proposed way back in the 1950s that was supposed link Cesar Chavez Bl. the Oakland Airport/Hagenberger bl.

Completely off topic but why doesn't the 101 continue through town as an expressway instead of the city street it becomes when it exits from the Golden Gate? That seems to be the biggest bottleneck in that town.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

D L X

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):

Cancelled along with a whole bunch of other projects that would have eased congestion in the city.

We have a similar problem here in Northern Virginia, but the result for us is just traffic. Our bridges are all duplicated but man would it be nice if we had a few more! (That will never happen as long as National Airport is around though.

Superfly

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 11):
Completely off topic but why doesn't the 101 continue through town as an expressway instead of the city street it becomes when it exits from the Golden Gate? That seems to be the biggest bottleneck in that town.

Because that would mean cutting through some of the most expensive real estate in the world. The rich people in Laurel Heights, Pacific Heights and Marina districts would not go for it.
It's the RICH, not the hippies that have killed linking the freeways.

Quoting D L X (Reply 12):
We have a similar problem here in Northern Virginia, but the result for us is just traffic.

Didn't the voters vote down a measly 1 cent tax to upgrade the highways in northern Virginia to accommodate the existing population?
I never forget spending almost an hour at a traffic signal in McLean. All I wa trying to do was drive across the highway from my hotel to return my rental car. I was amazed by the huge developments (malls and condos) supported by two lane country roads.

The main reason why San Fracnsico doesn't have as many freeways is because we don't want to look like Los Angeles or Houston.
Bring back the Concorde

767Lover

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
The rich people in Laurel Heights, Pacific Heights and Marina districts would not go for it.

The main reason why San Fracnsico doesn't have as many freeways is because we don't want to look like Los Angeles or Houston.

So in one quote you act as if the rich are just being selfish to not "allow" freeways, and then in the other quote you act like the no freeways thing is by design and a superior thing.

desertjets

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:39 pm

Cancelled along with a whole bunch of other projects that would have eased congestion in the city.

Looking at the map Larry posted and then look at a current map of San Francisco.... not even half of those freeway projects were even completed.

Of course we have nobody but ourselves to blame for this. Many of the projects that went through were done in such a manner that they had serious negative impacts on the communities that they bisected. As a result the later projects that were supposed to break ground in the 60s and 70s got caught up in the anti-freeway movement that was brewing.

Frankly a lot of that was pretty short-sighted, as projects that did eventually get built were done to much higher standards and have less impact on the surrounding areas. Same thing goes for mass transit projects that should have been built.

Anyways it looks like a mess for SF Bay commuters for the foreseeable future. Maybe there is potential in running a cross bay ferry service.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

deltagator

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:41 pm

Dumbasses! Thanks for the answer.

I was amazed by the huge developments (malls and condos) supported by two lane country roads.

Come to Atlanta and see non-planning in action! My wife wants us to move out to west Cobb County and I'll have nothing to do with it. Our money would go a lot farther with houses out there but all roads funnel down to a 2 lane road through the Kennesaw National Battlefield or you have to go far north or far south to get out to the Interstates. Stupid ass planning is the MO for the developers and county governments here it seems.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Superfly

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:46 pm

DesertJets:
Take a drive through some of these areas. I am glad that most were not build. Many beautiful and picturesque communities would have been leveled by a concrete freeway with lots of traffic.
I do wish the Embarcadero freeway and Central freeways were rebuild. Tearing those down after the 1989 earthquake was a bad idea.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 14):
So in one quote you act as if the rich are just being selfish

Stop assuming that I am accusing the rich as being selfish. I was just pointing out who had the power to stop the freeway from being build. Honestly, I am glad they put up the effort.
Bring back the Concorde

halls120

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 11):

Because that would mean cutting through some of the most expensive real estate in the world. The rich people in Laurel Heights, Pacific Heights and Marina districts would not go for it.

checkmark 

Don't forget the idiots in Marin County who killed the plan to run a BART line to their fair county.

We have a similar problem here in Northern Virginia, but the result for us is just traffic.

Didn't the voters vote down a measly 1 cent tax to upgrade the highways in northern Virginia to accommodate the existing population?
I never forget spending almost an hour at a traffic signal in McLean. All I wa trying to do was drive across the highway from my hotel to return my rental car. I was amazed by the huge developments (malls and condos) supported by two lane country roads.

the reason that particular tax vote failed was because we had no assurance that the revenue would be kept in northern virginia, and properly utilized.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Superfly

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 18):
Don't forget the idiots in Marin County who killed the plan to run a BART line to their fair county.

Don't even get me started on that!
That was a dumb move on Marin county's part. In the last election cycle, they voted to have there own light rail system put in place to connect with the ferry boats and Golden Gate bus terminal.
Marin county thought that BART would bring down there property values but instead, BART has raised property values. People in Lafayette and Orinda certainly dont have a problem with BART.
Bring back the Concorde

767Lover

Tue May 01, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
Stop assuming that I am accusing the rich as being selfish. I was just pointing out who had the power to stop the freeway from being build. Honestly, I am glad they put up the effort.

Then why not just say "people in such and such areas would not go for it, thankfully." Instead of things like saying "the RICH" in all caps.

Personally I don't like freeways either, and I am far from RICH!  smile 

D L X

Tue May 01, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 18):
the reason that particular tax vote failed was because we had no assurance that the revenue would be kept in northern virginia, and properly utilized.

Right. Northern Virginia is a small area that houses over a quarter of Virginia's entire population, yet it has considerably worse infrastructure for its needs than other, smaller population centers of Hampton Roads, Richmond Area and even Roanoke. There is always a fear that "NOVA" is getting taxed so as to benefit the rest of the Commonwealth, while clearly not getting near its fair share. The last thing that Northern Virginians want is to pay a special tax that no one else in the state has to pay, and then have that money diverted away from us.

CMHSRQ

Tue May 01, 2007 12:38 am

You mean to tell me that concrete can collapse and fail if it sits under burning fuel???? Several people on this site told me that it just couldn't happen. It's all Bush's fault.  Smile
The voice of moderation

halls120

Tue May 01, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 22):
You mean to tell me that concrete can collapse and fail if it sits under burning fuel???? Several people on this site told me that it just couldn't happen. It's all Bush's fault

Already being discussed here. Bay Area Bridge Collapse Conspiracy?  Wink (by AndesSMF Apr 29 2007 in Non Aviation)
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 1:13 am

To put a visual perspective on things, these are the parts of San Francisco that would be leveled to build freeways.

http://www.boatingsf.com/photos/aerial1/hydestpier_edited-2.jpg

http://www.voyage-san-francisco.fr/IMG/arton31.jpg

Granted this is a dated photo but still looks the same today.

767Lover:
I guess I need to walk on eggshells when talking about the rich.
I only spelled it in caps because it's assumed that hippies are calling the shots with important decisions out here when in reality, that is clearly not the case.
Bring back the Concorde

767Lover

Tue May 01, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
I guess I need to walk on eggshells when talking about the rich.
I only spelled it in caps because it's assumed that hippies are calling the shots with important decisions out here when in reality, that is clearly not the case.

Nah, no need to walk on eggshells, but you have spoken in disdain for the rich previously and it sounded like you were doing it again.

I understand what you were trying to say now.

I agree about the freeways -- that would be icky!

(BTW it seems a lot of SF "hippies" ARE rich!)

cfalk

Tue May 01, 2007 1:28 am

The CIA and GW Bush are behind the freeway collapse! Whoever heard of steel being melted by fire? Explosives were used!

- Rosie O'Donnell
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 1:31 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 25):

LOL! Big grin
They're up in Marin county now!  Smile
Not all rich are bad. You are correct that many rich do give wonderful contributions to help those in need as well as there community.
Had all of these freeways been build, we would have lost Stern Grove on 19th. & Sloat. That is a small tranquil forested park donated by the Stern & Haas family to the city under the condition that the space only be used for recreational purpose and free concerts.
Bring back the Concorde

RJdxer

Tue May 01, 2007 1:35 am

Houston could use a few more freeways since they are so against building a rail system.

You mean to tell me that concrete can collapse and fail if it sits under burning fuel????

Don't forget about that steel!

To put a visual perspective on things, these are the parts of San Francisco that would be leveled
to build freeways

Maybe, maybe not, there are other areas that could be used. I have to agree though after driving through SF, it is pretty confusing to get dumped on city streets where there don't seem to be a whole lot of signs on how to get anywhere.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 25):

You have to be rich to live comfortably as a hippie.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

AeroWesty

Tue May 01, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
Marin county thought that BART would bring down there property values but instead, BART has raised property values. People in Lafayette and Orinda certainly dont have a problem with BART.

The plans for BART go back into the 1950s. It wasn't the cities who had control over where it went, it was the counties. BART had to go to Concord, and the only way to get there was by way of Orinda, Lafayette and Walnut Creek. Marin wasn't alone in rejecting it--San Mateo did as well (based mainly on they were getting the Junipero Serra paid for with federal tax dollars, and they didn't see a need to add a tax for BART when they were having a brand new interstate built for them and they already had a railway link).

To put a visual perspective on things, these are the parts of San Francisco that would be leveled to build freeways.

You weren't in SF right after the quake when the Embarcadero was ripped down. "The rich" had very little to do with where freeways went in SF, Herb Caen did.
International Homo of Mystery

N231YE

Tue May 01, 2007 1:53 am

You mean to tell me that concrete can collapse and fail if it sits under burning fuel???? Several people on this site told me that it just couldn't happen.

Concrete contains rebar, and depending on how CA designs their bridges (prefab or not), may contain a steel substructure (I-Beams, Cross beams, rockers, etc.)

My father works on bridges of all types, and thus my knowledge...

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 28):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):The main reason why San Fracnsico doesn't have as many freeways is because we don't want to look like Los Angeles or Houston.

Houston could use a few more freeways since they are so against building a rail system.

Hmmmm...Houston is built upon the oil industry. Freeways lead to oil use by motor vehicles, and light rail uses electricity, which usually isn't generated from oil. Am I making a connection?

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):
"The rich" had very little to do with where freeways went in SF, Herb Caen did.

I was refering to the proposal to link the 101 central freeway to the 101 Golden Gate Bridge.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Tue May 01, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
I was refering to the proposal to link the 101 central freeway to the 101 Golden Gate Bridge.

Yeah, I understand that.

DAL767400ER

Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 am

Well, you wouldn't have to level so much for the US-101 connection, seeing as how there are still a few empty areas that have been cleared for the freeway extension many eons ago  Wink .

andessmf

Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 am

Traffic reports are pretty normal sounding right now. There are no reports of massive backups.

(BTW, the Capitol Corridor from SMF to OAK is the 3rd busiest train link in the nation)

AeroWesty

Tue May 01, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 34):
Traffic reports are pretty normal sounding right now. There are no reports of massive backups.

That's because that section is used to leave The City, not enter it. Anyone living in the Bay Area around the time of the Caldecott fire will know they will survive.

Confuscius

Tue May 01, 2007 2:11 am

Public transport is free in the bay area today.
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 33):
seeing as how there are still a few empty areas that have been cleared for the freeway extension many eons ago

Where?
Bring back the Concorde

DAL767400ER

Tue May 01, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):
Where?

Here:
Big version: Width: 900 Height: 762 File size: 192kb

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 2:55 am

DAL767400ER:
As I mentioned in #17, it was dumb to tear down existing freeways after the 1989 earthquake. The area you indicated was where the Central freeway used to run.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Tue May 01, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
As I mentioned in #17, it was dumb to tear down existing freeways after the 1989 earthquake.

I don't think it was dumb at all. The whole redevelopment of the Ferry Bldg. area wouldn't have come about without ripping down the Embarcadero. There were very few reasons for traffic to come off the Bridge and empty out onto Broadway.

galapagapop

Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 am

This exact same thing happened in Bridgeport CT in 2003 on I-95, when an oil tanker hit the wall and caught fire. It was also on a bridged part as well, it caused the Northbound to collapse completely and the Southbound to collapse slightly, shutting down a major artery, of coarse all it did was increase some rail and Meritt Pkwy traffic and that's all, they said it'd take months but they had it in 2 weeks as they had the DOT working 24/7 on it. But this won't be like that as this was a different kind of overpass, more raised, in our case we just took it out and put in a prefab bridge that just bridged the gap.

But sounds like fun for commuters none-the-less  Wink

CMHSRQ

Tue May 01, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 30):
Concrete contains rebar, and depending on how CA designs their bridges (prefab or not), may contain a steel substructure (I-Beams, Cross beams, rockers, etc.)

My father works on bridges of all types, and thus my knowledge...

I know, I was just jabbing at all the 9-11 morons.
The voice of moderation

halls120

Tue May 01, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):
You weren't in SF right after the quake when the Embarcadero was ripped down. "The rich" had very little to do with where freeways went in SF, Herb Caen did.

You mean Herb Caen, voice of the poor and downtrodden in San Francisco? Mouthpiece/Confidante of Mayor for Life Willie Brown? Wilkes Bashford's buddy?
 rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Herb Caen WAS the mouthpiece for the rich and powerful in San Francisco.

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 40):
There were very few reasons for traffic to come off the Bridge and empty out onto Broadway.

It made it easier for guys in the East Bay to get to the strip clubs on Broadway.  Smile
I don't see the logic in dumping traffic down on to the street level when it was nicely elevated on the 480.
It made it easier for the bridge & tunnel people to get to & from the Wharf and back home to there bedroom communities.
For those of us west of Twin Peaks, it's added another 15 minutes to our drive to & from the Bay Bridge.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 43):
Mayor for Life Willie Brown

He was mayor for 8 years, two terms.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Tue May 01, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 43):
Herb Caen WAS the mouthpiece for the rich and powerful in San Francisco.

Of course he was. But remember, Caen had an "old San Francisco" ethic that was independent of his cronies. He was railing against any blasphemy that would change SF after the monstrosity of the Embarcadero was built.

AeroWesty

Tue May 01, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 44):
It made it easier for the bridge & tunnel people to get to & from the Wharf and back home to there bedroom communities.

Okay, there were two exits off the Embarcadero. One dropped you off into the Embarcadero Center area, the other ended at Broadway and Battery (IIRC, maybe Sansome). It had nothing to do with west of Twin Peaks, unless you're referring to another part of the freeway. The Embarcadero extension itself was very short.

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 47):
It had nothing to do with west of Twin Peaks, unless you're referring to another part of the freeway.

I was also referring to the spill off on to Oak & Fell.

This thread is starting to feel like a heated discussion while riding MUNI or one of those people gathering signatures to put something on the ballot in Golden Gate Park or in front of Safeway. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Tue May 01, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 48):
I was also referring to the spill off on to Oak & Fell.

Yeah, there's some of that that really does need rebuilding, but you know, none of what's missing goes through especially toney neighborhoods.