UAL747
Topic Author

What Are Your Hobbies Other Than Aviation?

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:58 am

For me, I've shown horses (Morgans and American Saddlebreds) all since I was about 5 and I've played and studied classical piano since I was 6.

Here's a video of me showing at the New England Regional Morgan Horse show:

And here's a close up pic of me riding the same horse in the video winning the roses at the Morgan Horse Grand National and World Championship Show:

Here's an image of me on a different horse at the same show:

And here's a pic of me playing the piano:

And here's a video (not of me) of the Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 in C-minor that I'm currently working on with my professor, Tatiana Kuleshova at the University of Central Oklahoma. She studied at the Moscow Conservatory and her father is the world renowned pianist, Valery Kuleshov, also of the Moscow Conservatory and silver medalist at the National Van Cliburn festival held in the US.

So what are your hobbies other than aviation?

UAL

[Edited 2007-04-30 05:06:04]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

UAXDXer

RE: What Are Your Hobbies Other Than Aviation?

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:00 pm

I like to clip coupons and mail in rebates
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

futuresdpdcop

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:01 pm

Traveling. My only problem is I can't find a travel buddy to go to far off places I want to see. For instance, I want to go to Australia but none of my friends want to go. I want to do a cruise down to Mexico but no one will go. It kinda pisses me off.

futureualpilot

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:02 pm

Surfding when I am home, running, hiking, relaxing outdoors, street luging, baseball, reading books that do not have to do with class work.
Life is better when you surf.

bill142

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:09 pm

Quoting FutureSDPDcop (Reply 2):
Traveling. My only problem is I can't find a travel buddy to go to far off places I want to see. For instance, I want to go to Australia but none of my friends want to go. I want to do a cruise down to Mexico but no one will go. It kinda pisses me off.

I have that same problem.

strasserb

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
So what are your hobbies other than aviation?

Here is a picture of me drinking another Heineken.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/StrasserB/self/DSCF0083.jpg
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

futuresdpdcop

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Tell you what, if you wanna come to the States, you can crash with me, granted I get the same in return down under  Wink

UAL747
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:16 pm

I know, the only travel buddy I have is a girl that lives in Chicago, but when we travel, we have an awesome time. We went to Japan last year and had a great time. Not sure what we've planned for this year. We were going to Dubai in March but we had to cancel our plans and my "half" refundable ticket due to scheduling problems. Sad Oh well, guess we might try and do it sometime later on.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

DeltaAVL

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:16 pm

I've played and studied classical piano since I was 6.

Cool! I've actually been playing classical piano since age 4. Started jazz around age 12. But my main thing is classical piano.

I'm currently working on Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto and I'm absolutely loving it.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

ACDC8

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:27 pm

I'm addicted to aquariums. Right now, I've got 3 x 10 gallons, 1 x 29 gallon, 1 x 33 gallon and 1 x 90 gallon. This is the newest member to my passion ...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/alizee340/DSC00075.jpg
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

walter747

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:28 pm

I swim competitively. The only time i have off is from April - June. During the winter i swim on two teams and go to two practices a day. Its a School team and a Club team. In the summer i swim on another Club team. I enjoy all the good times i have at swim. Some good laughs.  Smile
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

PlymSpotter

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:29 pm

Yeah same problem here too, you should see my friends faces when I ask them to go on holiday to Syria, or Iran...!

For a while I just had far too many hobbies, but I have sort of cut down a bit, so my main ones are now as follows,in no particular order;

Mountain Biking
Photography (not just aviation, in fact hardly at all)
Travelling - always attempting to get on old and interesting airlines/aircraft
Badminton
Cricket
Model Railways
Music
Gardening/DIY

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ShyFlyer

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:41 pm

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Photography

My scooter (is it really a hobby?)

Flying (sorta half hobby, half career training)

That's pretty much it. Haven't had much interest in any of the above lately, for one reason or another.
I lift things up and put them down.

tz757300

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:45 pm

Working on my car

filler
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

LASoctoberB6

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:52 pm

i like mass transit (mainly the buses and the dispatching part too) and railroading....photography, drawing, and laptops

[Edited 2007-04-30 05:55:08]
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

KPDX

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:54 pm

Drumming, listening to music, and just hanging out with friends, etc, etc.

KPDX  Smile
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

QANTAS077

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:00 pm

the west coast eagles AFL football club...blue & gold in the video clip, I go to all their games and follow them around the country if I can. being at the winning grand final last year would probably be the absolute highlight of all my world travels! enjoy this last 5 mins of the 2006 grand final, it still sends shivers down me.

travel is the second favourite hobby

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:53 pm

-Watching NFL Football- NY Giants and Cincinnati Bengals. WHO-DEY!
-Watching baseball (NY Yankees and Cincinnati Reds, though both suck this year)
-Watching hockey. Go Rangers!
-Golfing when I can (time and money aren't exactly plentiful as a college student)
-Going to theme parks when I can afford to. I have a season pass to Busch Gardens Tampa. I went to Cedar Point last summer and I'm hoping to make it to Holiday World this summer. Most people dont know it because I don't talk about it as much, but roller coasters and thrill rides are just as much of an interest to me as aviation.  Smile
-Politcs (though not as involved as I used to be.)
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Springbok747

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:05 pm

Target Shooting
Watching F1
Travelling
אני תומך בישראל

HAWK21M

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Apart from Aviation......which is my Hobby & Job.
Pistol Shooting [Very good]  Smile
Electronics
Cricket & rugby.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Alessandro

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:03 pm

Fishing is my 1st hobby, aviation can´t compete with that...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Cars, cars and even more cars !
Have been driving since I was 14 and owned about 60/70 vehicles up to now and driven hundreds.
I even indulged in trhaack racing for a while (Group F/Group N for those in the know).

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

cxsjr

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Quite by chance, my hobbies are travel, photography, cooking & international cuisine, aviation and golf, probably in that order.

With the exception of golf, they all fit nicely together: travel by plane, eat local foods of the countries we're travelling to and take lots of pictures. All I need is now is a golf course on the airport approach like the one near LHR which (when I lived down south), was great to watch the jets fly over while I played (especially Concorde at 5:10pm!).
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

cedars747

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:14 pm

What Are Your Hobbies Other Than Aviation?

COOKING is my second hobby after Aviation

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

TurkishWings

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:44 pm

I love travelling
Dining out, trying out different cuisines and reataurants
Cooking
Listening to music and singing (I sang opera for many years)
Dancing (Captain of the step, aerobics and modern dance team)
Internet
Basketball (playing+watching)
Football (watching)
Geography
Movies and TV Shows
Coffee - Tea or Me?

Femme

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 20):
Fishing is my 1st hobby

I also love fishing ( even thou I'm a gal) I have Course fished since I was around 12yrs old with my dad ( sure he wanted a boy !) and now my Husband and I go canal and pool fishing. Just replenished all the fishing tackle and treated ourselves to new rods to try out this Wednesday at some Carp/Course pools near where we live - Hope the weather keeps up !!

Claire  cheerful 
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

PipoA380

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:42 pm

I love traveling! Flying to travel of course. Next on the list is Bulgaria in 2 weeks, and Russia in July, probably Slovenia as well.

Photography! Not only of airplanes, but also of all sort of things. This combines a lot to travelling as I always take my DSLR along to make some cool pics of places I go to

Sports! I play squash quite often, and i play unihockey (hockey with shoes and a ball). I also like to do some snowboard, even though this season was kinda bad... no snow!

Also, bashing Kai, having drinks with friends, my girlfriend... a lot of things!
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:02 pm

Swimming, Bycicling, History, Good Eating & Drinking, Travelling, Reading, Politics

Thom@s

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:30 pm

According to my profile...

Girls, Music (Heavy Metal mainly), English Football, Sensible drinking (Hehe), Computers, photography.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

lamedianaranja

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Horses and dogs are my other passions. Love those Morgans btw, UAL747 Incredible gaits and colors.

Horses at the moment for me is just looking, no riding. I go to the large dressage shows in Holland, read horsey magazines and watch the competitions on TV.

UAL747, as you also love the piano, you should try to see Dutch competitor Imke Schellekens on Sunrise perform her test to music (kur) as she uses piano music especially written and played for her and Sunrise by Wibi Soerjadi, a Dutch piano virtuoso. They came in second at the recent World Cup Finals in Las Vegas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6MO84Skgo

Dogs are a lifelong passion, especialy bull terriers. I show, breed and take them to obedience and agility classes. Yes, even a bull terrier can do that !

Me and Autana's Another Batthery:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Wilmabettina/PenW.jpg

[Edited 2007-04-30 12:49:40]
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

Alessandro

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting Femme (Reply 25):
I also love fishing ( even thou I'm a gal) I have Course fished since I was around 12yrs old with my dad ( sure he wanted a boy !) and now my Husband and I go canal and pool fishing. Just replenished all the fishing tackle and treated ourselves to new rods to try out this Wednesday at some Carp/Course pools near where we live - Hope the weather keeps up !!

Claire

I´m more a seatrout and pike fisher, good way to clean your head and get some fresh air as well...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

RobertNL070

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Cooking, socializing, reading, amateur ..erm.. very amateur photography, listening to music - have just 'discovered' James Hunter - but a huge passion of mine is .... gardening.

Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

flyorski

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:11 pm

Skiing, wildlife, politics, and sometimes a little bit of aviation.............

Love my summer job which is sort of a hobby, river rafting...........
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

AllegiantAir

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:38 pm

I like to watch racing, both at the local track and NASCAR, but I don't race. I play basketball in the winter too.
Live to Fly.

Sabena332

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:58 pm

- Football (soccer) is without any doubt my biggest hobby, my main interests are the German Bundesliga, the Champions League, and the Spanish Primera Division (especially Real Madrid). I simply love it to watch a football game in the stadium.

- Hanging out with friends is always fun, no matter if we go to have a drink in a bar, watching football in the stadium, visiting concerts, going to the cinema, etc. Keeps me always busy on the weekends.

- Travelling is also a hobby, I've visited many countries all over the world and I'm always glad when I get a new entry on my "visited countries" list. I hope that I can add Brazil to this list within this year, that would be my first visit to South America.

- Computers are nice toys to play with, a computer can keep me busy for hours. I've two Windows PCs (one notebook and one desktop) and in a few weeks I'll buy my third one (a MacBook).

- Cars. I love to drive nice cars and fortunately I can do it quite often. Nothing beats an empty A44 at night while being on the controls of an Audi A8 4.2l Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

N776AU

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:07 pm

-Bowling
-College Football
-Nascar
-Roller Coasters
-Band
Careful, Doors Are Closing And Will Not Reopen. Please Wait For The Next Train

SmithAir747

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:19 pm

My hobbies other than aviation:

Music: Piano (since age 8, 1984)--classical, jazz, religious, Irish, etc. Acoustic guitar (since 2001): any folk style and PIMA fingerpicking style, and self-arranging music for guitar. Violin (self-taught since 2005): any style (especially sacred music) that I rewrite and arrange for violin.

Art: Since early childhood, I have loved drawing--with simple pencil or pen and paper. My earliest drawings show 3-D perspective (e.g. a railroad tunnel). I draw aliens, UFOs, architecture, aircraft, and oddly enough, anatomical drawings. Last year I did a series of anatomical drawings--straight from human cadavers I was dissecting at King's College London--and showed them at an art show there. I draw in the style of John Hunter and Leonardo da Vinci. Photography is another art specialty of mine.

Medical instrument collecting: I collect many types of old/outdated medical/surgical instruments, especially glass syringes. I also have saved many implants, craniofacial fixation plates, and other items that have been used on me during my own craniofacial surgeries. This makes my collection so authentic!

Reading & books: I am a voracious reader, especially of medical books, science fiction, UFOs/aliens, Cold War books, etc.

Anything Soviet/Russian: I play the Soviet National Anthem on piano, wear a Soviet "ushanka" fur hat (with red star) in winter, and carry an Aeroflot shoulder bag (very useful for me). I read Cold War books and have (since childhood, growing up in the Cold War), always been intrigued by the Soviet Union/Russia.

Anything alien/UFO related: Since early childhood, I've been intrigued by the possibility of extraterrestrial life. Some people believe I'm extraterrestrial myself!  Wink I love to write stories of aliens and draw them (anatomically correct sometimes). I am known for my wild campfire stories of alien abduction and sinister alien activities!

Travel: I have travelled to many states in the US, as well as Canada, Bahamas, Mexico, the UK, Ireland, and Spain. I love to fly--especially on the rare occasion in a 747!

Retro: I love anything 1960s/1970s--especially station wagons, home decor, music, LP records, 45s, whatever!

Architecture & interior decor: I love retro and modern architecture and interiors, from the 1960s on.

Camping & canoeing: I've been a lifetime camper and canoeist (because my big family did it whilst we were growing up).

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

ANITIX87

Tue May 01, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 9):
This is the newest member to my passion ...

Is that a Moray eel? Sweet.

My hobbies are as follows:

Tennis: Been playing since I was 5. In high school I played 8 hours a week, and around 20 hours a week during the tennis season. Here in college I play about 6 hours a week, but when I'm home in the summer I try to play a couple of hours a day.

Music: I've been playing piano since I was 5, and violin since I was 8. Violin is much more of a serious thing for me. I also compose and arrange music. I hope to have the orchestra here at college perform my violin concerto next year. But it's going to take a lot of convincing.

Photography: Self-explanatory, I think. I love to shoot. Anything, anytime. www.tisdigital.com

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

British767

Tue May 01, 2007 1:26 am

For me:

Travel - I'm starting to loose interest in the aviation part of travelling, I just see it as all part of the trip. Plans to visit a lot more of Asia (especially Hong Kong and Vietnam) are in the making.

Snowboarding - I started this when I came to university, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I've since bought my own snowboard (although it's snow very scratched and could do with a wax), and would jump at the chance to move to the mountains. The feeling of belting it down a mountian at full speed, carving perfectly, with the odd jump or two, is just so fulfilling! Broke my collar bone this season, but have snowboarded again since at the Milton Keynes Snowdome (at Xscape). Wakeboarding and surfing are two more things I must take up this summer!

Procrastinating - This is something that seems to have become a hobby in the past few weeks, putting off revision and essays. Mind you, I'm not alone, most people seem to be doing it here!

Friends - Like Patrick (Sabena332), whether it's going to a bar or the union, or just spending time hanging out with friends, I love spending time with them.

ORFflyer

Tue May 01, 2007 1:27 am

Playing pool - mostly 8-ball, but I like 9-ball as well. I've been captain of the pool team at a local bar for 15 years.

ussherd

Tue May 01, 2007 2:56 am

Travelling: This goes hand-in-hand with my love of aviation, and although it took me a long time to find a congenial travelling partner, for the last year I've been dating someone who's idea of a good trip exactly matches mine. I'm just back from Istanbul (fabulous place) and am currently planning a trip to Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Santiago & Easter Island. Next August I'd love to take the Trans-Siberian/Mongolian Express from Moscow to Beijing, arriving in China in time to witness the total solar eclipse.

Salsa: What's not to love? The music, the rythym, the movement- that feeling of euphoria that you get on those rare ocasions when the music gets into your very bones and you partner reads your lead perfectly and the dance becomes a perfect medley of sound, movement and physical contact. Of course, you finish up with sweat dripping off the end of you nose and shirt plastered to your torso.... but who cares?!
Cada loco con su tema...

stlgph

Tue May 01, 2007 3:35 am

random sex
travel
shopping
cooking
golf
tennis
clubbing
bar hopping
happy hour hopping
attending concerts
attending theater
attending baseball games
sleeping
swimming
running
writing jokes
writing radio skits
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 37):
Is that a Moray eel? Sweet.

A freshwater moray actually, when they are young they live in freshwater, slowly moving into estuaries when older then slowly moving off to the sea as adults, coming back to freshwater to spawn.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

carmenlu15

Tue May 01, 2007 5:25 am

Reading... I've been a bookworm ever since I learned to read at age 4. Not much time to catch up on a good book nowadays, though...

Puzzles... brainteasers, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, sudoku... anything to get my brain working. Big grin

Anything Snoopy/Peanuts related... from reading the daily comic, to spending several hours surfing the web finding new pages to bookmark, to reading up the various Peanuts blogs, to adding more stuff to my collection.  Silly I just got me a new Snoopy wallet to match the Joe Cool keychain I've had for several years.

Oh, and

Quoting PipoA380 (Reply 26):
bashing Kai

as well... Big grin
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

ORFflyer

Tue May 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 41):

Damn - where do you find time to post on A-net?  Wink

halls120

Tue May 01, 2007 8:41 pm

Golf

travel

sailing
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

foppishbum

Wed May 02, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 9):
I'm addicted to aquariums. Right now, I've got 3 x 10 gallons, 1 x 29 gallon, 1 x 33 gallon and 1 x 90 gallon. This is the newest member to my passion ...

I love aquariums, too. Between me and my partner, we have three ten-gallon-tank, one five-gallon-tank, and two vase with male Betta. (4 oranda goldfish, 2 male betta, 1 female betta, 3 bumble bee, 8 guppies, 2 plecostomus [one is golden nugget], 1 golden algae eater, 1 Chinese algae eater, 2 mini dwarf puffer fish, 4 gourami, 3 blackskirt tetra, and 3 serpae tetra.)

Cheers,
foppish bum
Taiwanese-American :D

Rj111

Wed May 02, 2007 4:00 am

I like trains as well as aircraft.

I play Guitar (grade 8) and sing, and have started playing Violin and Piano recently too. I like to right, teach and perform music.

I play a lot of pool with my friends down at the pool hall but i'm seriously considering quitting or drastically cutting down as it's destroying my back.

I also play a lot of footy and love watchin it too.

Love to cook, Indian, Italian, Chinese and good old English roast.

I also design websites for a living too so i guess that's kinda a hobby.

JGPH1A

Wed May 02, 2007 4:06 am

For instance, I want to go to Australia but none of my friends want to go. I want to do a cruise down to Mexico but no one will go.

You need to upgrade your friends, mate - how can anyone not want to go to Australia ? They are clearly defective.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 11):
Model Railways

snigger

Quoting British767 (Reply 38):
I'm starting to loose interest in the aviation part of travelling, I just see it as all part of the trip

Oooh - blasphemy ! Stone the blasphemer ! Get thee behind me, Satan !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Confuscius

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 am

Watching non porn video on my computer.

Ain't I a stinker?