deltagator

Where In The World Is Matt Lauer?

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:40 pm

Not sure if folks saw this one at 0-dark-30 this morning but Matt's annual "Where in the World?" trip started off at the Boeing factory in Everett, WA.

IIRC he is using a BBJ for his travels so I'm guessing he won't be making a stop at Airbus HQ. While a bit goofy the segments are pretty informative and it is amazing to see how far he can get in under 24 hours and show up the next morning. I'm guessing some place in Asia tomorrow given that he is already on the left coast.

Follow along at http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/18386476/
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

luv2fly

RE: Where In The World Is Matt Lauer?

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:46 pm

I believe last year he used a BBJ that is owned by parent company of NBC which is GE.
You can cut the irony with a knife

TedTAce

Tue May 01, 2007 12:05 am

Yes, the wife had to tear me away from the Today show today. I was loving every minute of it!!
This space intentionally left blank

BlueElephant

Tue May 01, 2007 4:09 am

I Just saw it....and Its going to be interesting where and how he travels. I really wonder how he gets around, it must be a ton of flying...

Anyone know how he's getting around?

deltagator

Tue May 01, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 3):
Anyone know how he's getting around?

Yes, it is on a General Electric (they own NBC) owned BBJ. How he gets from the airport to the location is beyond me but that is the small part of the trip. I believe they use two of them and send the advance team to set up cameras and such so they are ready to go when he gets there. I could be wrong about that but I swear they covered it once. There have been a few times that he has gone from one place to another and I've just said Damn! that's a good haul even over two days let alone one.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

LASoctoberB6

Tue May 01, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 4):
General Electric (they own NBC)

NBC, they TV people? how did that happen? I WANT A BBJ TOO!!!  crying 
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

deltagator

Tue May 01, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 5):
NBC, they TV people? how did that happen?

GE bought them years ago. Keep up with the times.  Wink An interesting note is that GE's business plan under CEO Jack Welch was to be #1 or 2 in every market they enter. Since the departure of Friends and some other shows NBC has been consistently in the #3 spot of the big 3 networks. Oh well.

Quoting DeltaGator (Thread starter):
I'm guessing some place in Asia tomorrow given that he is already on the left coast.

It seems I was wrong. He's in Ireland today and now off to his next location. Now I'm going to go with Asia but watch him go to Africa.

BlueElephant

Tue May 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Hmmm.....the next clue is... "As the son also rises, power is money here, with billions on the horizon."

Think its going to be like, India, China, or somewhere in the middle east. Possibly Japan.

Any other guesses?!

luv2fly

Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 pm

I think it is China where they keep building power plants.

VC10BOAC

Tue May 01, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 7):
"As the son also rises, power is money here, with billions on the horizon."

I am thinking "Land of the Rising Sun"
My guess is Japan.

My other guess would be China but I think he already did that a couple years ago, then again China is a big country...

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 9):

My other guess would be China but I think he already did that a couple years ago

I know he has been to Shanghai and I actually guessed that one at the time.

Hmmm.....the next clue is... "As the son also rises, power is money here, with billions on the horizon."

I'm thinking India. I don't believe he has been there before. I have this hunch because of the Mittal Steel company family who is run by a father and son team have an assload of money and power. Of course they live in London so that most likely shoots down my idea of India.

I'm going to say India or China. That narrows it down to a big chunk of land and 2+ billion people. Yeah, that's the ticket.

VC10BOAC

Wed May 02, 2007 12:32 am

I am going to change my vote since I misread son for sun.

I am certain that he will be in an oil-rich middle eastern country with a monarchy where a son suceeds his father as king. I will go with Saudi Arabia, where King Abdullah who ascended to the throne a couple years ago is the son of the first king of Saudi Arabia, King Abbdulaziz Al Suad. In Saudia Arabia, the monarchy has vast wealth so "power is money" Also with the vast oil reserves, "billions are on the horizon"

[Edited 2007-05-01 17:48:46]

VC10BOAC

Wed May 02, 2007 12:46 am

OK here is my final answer. I will change one last time.
United Arab Emirates is a strong contender. All the above I mentioned about Saudi Arabia also applies to the UAE, in addition it is a major tourist destination, especially Dubai.

United Arab Emirates - FINAL ANSWER!

allstarflyer

Wed May 02, 2007 12:57 am

From this link, someone could probably guess where he will not go . . .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3079110/

Shangai might make it, but this is a great guess . . .

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 9):

I am thinking "Land of the Rising Sun"
My guess is Japan.

Billions (in China) on the horizon (not too far from the coasts of Japan), "Land of the Rising Sun" - that's a great guess, and I'll second it.

The only reason I care about this is because I'd love to do this kind of traveling, myself. I can see this guy going to some remote island in the Atlantic or Indian Oceans before he's through.

-R
Living the American Dream

VC10BOAC

Wed May 02, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 13):
"Land of the Rising Sun" - that's a great guess, and I'll second it.

I changed my vote, but stick with me on the current one!

luv2fly

Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 am

I believe he has been to India in past years.

allstarflyer

Wed May 02, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 14):
Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 13):
"Land of the Rising Sun" - that's a great guess, and I'll second it.

I changed my vote, but stick with me on the current one!

I don't think you should've changed your vote (IMO) - I'm sticking with your original  Wink .

-R
Living the American Dream

BlueElephant

Wed May 02, 2007 8:00 am

i am gonig with VC10BOAC....seems like UAE or Saudi Arabia...but where does the Son come in when UAE?

I don't get it. Japan could be it too....

don't really know.

VC10BOAC

Wed May 02, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 17):
i am gonig with VC10BOAC....seems like UAE or Saudi Arabia...but where does the Son come in when UAE?

The current ruler is the son of the previous ruler. I believe he took over the throne in 2004.

LASoctoberB6

Wed May 02, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 6):
Keep up with the times.

hey now..only 15 here.....my eyes only "opened" up not too long ago...... Smile
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

ltbewr

Wed May 02, 2007 10:56 am

Matt Laurer is Jewish - he probably cannot enter some Muslim countries, although he could visit Dubai, some Gulf states without any problems, and that could be a good bet.
Possible bets for the rest of the week could include China, as NBC will the TV network for the next summer Olympics in the USA. Another could be an Air Base in Bagdahd and spend time with the solders, allowing video reunions of solders with their families. Japan is 'the land of the rising sun' so that would make sense.

luv2fly

Wed May 02, 2007 11:02 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 20):
Matt Laurer is Jewish

On his fathers side and does he even practice that faith?

Evan767

Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 am

My guess is Dubai. "Power is money"? Oh yeah, that's Dubai.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 am

Matt Laurer is Jewish - he probably cannot enter some Muslim countries

I don't believe I've seen any specification anywhere, even from Iran, that Jews are not allowed into a muslim country, let alone a slightly more liberated country like the UAE. If his passport includes a stamp from Israel he could be denied entry under the current rules of the country. But unless he blatantly comes out and says "I'm Jewish and it rocks over Islam any day of the week" he'll get into a Muslim country.

Even Iran and the "Mad Mullahs" wouldn't be so stupid to deny entry to someone who has a soapbox the size of the Today Show to tear them a new one for denying him entry because of his religion. Plus, do you think NBC wouldn't have checked out all this information ahead of time to avoid pitfalls?

Japan is 'the land of the rising sun' so that would make sense.

As has been stated NUMEROUS times already the clue was specifically spelled SON. I seriously doubt tomorrow morning he will be in Japan. I'll be going with Dubai as well after rethinking my earlier comments about the Mittal father and son team.

VC10BOAC

Wed May 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Well it seems like more people agree with my reasoning for UAE and specifically Dubai. I am even going a step further to suggest he will be staying at the Burj Al Arab Hotel, (the one on an island shaped like a sail).

[Edited 2007-05-02 06:40:20]

[Edited 2007-05-02 06:40:51]

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 24):
I am even going a step further to suggest he will be staying at the Burj Al Arab Hotel, (the one on an island shaped like a sail).

Don't bother. He doesn't stay but just keeps traveling. He might visit it but I doubt he stays there. I'll say he visits one of the groups of islands, maybe The World or whatever the name of the new palm tree they are building into the sea there.

VC10BOAC

Wed May 02, 2007 8:15 pm

He's in Bhutan.. BHUTAN? WTF???
Who ever goes to Bhutan?

BlueElephant

Wed May 02, 2007 9:03 pm

Bhutan....hmmm...who would have thought.
I guess there is a king there too, but where do the Billions come from? Is it really that rich of a country?

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 27):
Bhutan...but where do the Billions come from?

On the horizon...just like the clue said...with billions of Chinese to the north and India to the south,

BlueElephant

Wed May 02, 2007 11:09 pm

"Although we can't top the Himalayas, we will sail to new heights in a place that will soon host the world."

New hint for the day....I've figured it out...anyone else?

p.s. I think this one is pretty easy.

[Edited 2007-05-02 16:09:28]

deltagator

Thu May 03, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 29):
"Although we can't top the Himalayas, we will sail to new heights in a place that will soon host the world."

Beijing I would suppose given the upcoming Summer Olympics. Do they have a river running through the city? I could see the camera pulling back from his face to show him crusing the river in one of the old Chinese Junks used to haul stuff.

On a side note he's doing some pretty wussy legs on the trip this year. Nothing insanely far for one day of travel.

CMHSRQ

Thu May 03, 2007 2:22 am

Beijing would be to easy of an answer.

I'm going to say Dubai. That sail shaped hotel is in Dubai, the worlds tallest building is under construction there, and that world island is off shore
The voice of moderation

deltagator

Thu May 03, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 31):
I'm going to say Dubai. That sail shaped hotel is in Dubai, the worlds tallest building is under construction there, and that world island is off shore

I see your point. Perhaps we picked Dubai a day too early. We'll see at 0600 on Thursday.

VC10BOAC

Thu May 03, 2007 3:56 am

Well since I still have egg on my face from yesterday, after steering you all from that part of Asia to the middle east I will go carefully with this one.

We know that eventually he has to end up in Dubai (!) so maybe this is it. I think CMHSRQ's analysis is spot-on, very solid case for Dubai. I cannot think of another country that fits all three criteria.

BTW even the other hosts on the Today show guessed Dubai or Japan for today. Bhutan was not even on the horizon. (Billions were, though... ha ha) Then again maybe this is one good thing about the show. I had no idea it was such a beautiful place.

Evan767

Thu May 03, 2007 4:10 am

Isn't Johannesburg suppose to host the next world cup? Haha, that's one hell of a flight. I doubt it's Johannesburg, but it'd be nice to see him go that far.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

BlueElephant

Thu May 03, 2007 11:45 am

Way to call it CMHSRQ...i was thinking the exact same thing!

Its gotta be Dubai..

jfk69

Thu May 03, 2007 9:18 pm

Beijing would be to easy of an answer.

DING DING DING!!!! He is in Dubai.

CMHSRQ

Fri May 04, 2007 12:15 am

So here is the clue for tomorrow

"To the West, it is 10 degrees colder. To the East, there is warmth in the air. To the North, there's a seat at the table. To the South, there's a formal affair."

I know where he is going, and it's south

[Edited 2007-05-03 17:19:04]
The voice of moderation

deltagator

Fri May 04, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 37):
"To the West, it is 10 degrees colder. To the East, there is warmth in the air. To the North, there's a seat at the table. To the South, there's a formal affair."

I'm going to say the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. The ocean is to the west so that's cooler. The Mojave Desert is to the east so that's the warmth. Here's my weak point but there has to be some sort of table with seats somewhere in the hills above the valley floor. And the formal affair to the south has to be the Oscars, even though they happened a few months back. Now where in the valley he will be?...I have no freaking clue. Maybe Andy Garcia's house over in Toluca Lake. Yeah, that's my answer.

Seriously though I'm going to go with South Africa, probably Cape Town or the actual Cape of Good Hope. Here's why...the cold waters of the Atlantic from the west meet the warm waters of the Indian ocean from the east. Table Mountain is to the north and you have lots of fancy schmancy penguins to the south with their tuxedos.

[Edited 2007-05-03 17:28:58]

CMHSRQ

Fri May 04, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 38):
Seriously though I'm going to go with South Africa, probably Cape Town or the actual Cape of Good Hope. Here's why...the cold waters of the Atlantic from the west meet the warm waters of the Indian ocean from the east. Table Mountain is to the north and you have lots of fancy schmancy penguins to the south with their tuxedos.

Cape Town is my guess as well
The voice of moderation

deltagator

Fri May 04, 2007 1:10 am

Someone else on the Today website has mentioned Bouvet Island for these reasons...

West - the cold Benguela current, which sweeps northward along the Atlantic Ocean in the west.
East - The Indian Ocean's warm Agulhas ocean current, sweeps southward along the African coastline in the east.
North - In 2007/2008, South Africa has a seat at the UN Security Council.
South - Obviously the penguins.

Here's the only problem...Bouvet Island is uninhabited and doesn't even have an airport that could land his BBJ. Of course he could ferry in from a boat but the island is so far off the beaten path he would never get there in time.

BlueElephant

Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 am

Thanks again CMHSRQ...Man, you are really good at this!...

I am going to have to go with everyone else and say...Cape Town

VC10BOAC

Fri May 04, 2007 1:44 am

You have to be careful with these clues. They are really tricky and should not be taken literally. For example the 10 degrees colder and warmth in the air may not necessarily mean temperatures. You need to look harder for a hidden meaning. There has got to be a significance of the 10.

The reference to Seat at the table (Table Mountain to the north) and formal affair (Penguins in Antartica) seem like Cape Town or somewhere in SA would be a good guess.