LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

German Cars In The US

Tue May 01, 2007 5:49 am

Hi !

Are there many German cars in the US ? On all Pics I see , I never see a German car ...

Do Americans like German cars , or do they prefer American ones ??

Cheers,

Konstantin

Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

tz757300

RE: German Cars In The US

Tue May 01, 2007 6:01 am

Americans like German cars, they arn't bad.

You must not look at a lot of photos, VW's are everywhere.

I do prefer American cars, but its all on opinion.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

cfalk

Tue May 01, 2007 6:02 am

It's a matter of cost. A nicely trimmed 3-series BMW will set you back $50,000. You can get something similarly equipped from a US or Japanese firm for $35-40,000. Might not take the corners the same way, but it works.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):

the name makes 10k ... but a BMW is far better than a GM or any american car ...

IMO Big grin

dtwclipper

Tue May 01, 2007 6:08 am

They are OK, I had a TT however and it was a real piece of crap. My dad had an A8 which he hated, and my brother had an A6 which he could not wait to get rid of.

So, we had three in the family, and we didn't do well with them. I don't want to bash Audi, but we didn't have such good luck.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 4):

Wow that was bad luck ! Well I prefer BMW , BMW are the best cars ...

rlwynn

Tue May 01, 2007 6:16 am

There are some but not too many. For most of the models are not sold there.

Audi: the only A3 is the TFSI. No diesel or the other gasoline engines available. Same with the A4, A6, A8 and the A2 was never sold there.

BMW: No 1er, and no disels for the other models. I do not think there is a 4 cylinder 3er sold there. No diesel X3 or X5.

No Skoda or Seat.(yes, they are really German).

Mercedes Benz: No A or B series. Diesel only for the E class. Do not think there are 4 cylynders there. No Viano. The Sprinter is a Dodge. Maybach? Smart sold soon. But not the Mitsubishi (nedcar) 4 four.

Ford: No Fiesta, Focus, S-Max, Mondeo or Transit.

The Opel Astra is a Saturn Astra. Vectra soon to come. No other German GM products. But the PremiumV6 from GM is sold in many vehicles notably the Suzuki XL7. And will be (already is in Europe) in the Alfa Romeos.

The Hyundai Sonata is German designed.

The German Toyota Avensis platform is sold as a Scion tc.
I can drive faster than you

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 6):

Interesting ... but why do you name Ford , AFAIK Ford is American ...

soylentgreen

Tue May 01, 2007 6:24 am

BMWs are expensive in the US, and are renown for electrical problems , e.g., windows not coming down, engines stalling, alarms that will not disengage, etc. They do sell though, and given their price, often are leased. Mercedes are popular but the brand is deteriorating as:

1. The use of Merecedes parts in Chryslers, a low cost American brand, is not a selling point to the affluent;
2. Mercedes models look too similar, and with models available from $25K to $150K, the high end purchasers may be a bit weary in shelling out that much for what is in essence, a well heeled Chrysler.

Volkwagen Jettas remain popular with the 20s crowd. Audis are somewhat big in the Northeast. My guess is the Qauttro all wheel drive system, which allows them to perform in the snow common in most areas of the northeast US, is a big selling point.

deltadc9

Tue May 01, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):
A nicely trimmed 3-series BMW will set you back $50,000.

At the dealership my wife works at, the number reflects the price

3 series = 30-40K

5 series = 50-60K

7 Series = 70-80K

This is base price with all the common options.

It also reflects how many times a year you will have electrical problems.

At least its not like VW, never knowing if the engine will need to be replaced before or after you exceed the allowed milage or timeframe.

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 3):
but a BMW is far better than a GM or any american car ...

Not true, and BMW is inferior to many Japanese cars
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 6:40 am

Wow not really good feedback about the German cars ... wouldn´t have thought this ...

rlwynn

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 7):

The thread is about German cars not companies.
Ford has been designing and building cars in Köln since 1931.

And I left out VW, No Tourans Caddys Polos, Fox or T5's in America

Ford Germany is the same as Gm Germany (Opel). The cars historically have been not sold in the USA so often.

[Edited 2007-04-30 23:43:17]

Charger

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Thread starter):
Are there many German cars in the US

Yes. VW's, BMW's, Mercedes, and Audi's are everywhere.

Do Americans like German cars , or do they prefer American ones

Depends on the person.

but a BMW is far better than a GM or any american car ...

Opinion? Never mind I just checked your age.

So, we had three in the family, and we didn't do well with them. I don't want to bash Audi, but we didn't have such good luck.

Don't feel bad Dtwcliipper, I bought a brand new 06 Audi 4.2 Quattro last year. I got rid of it 6 months later. What a piece of garbage car. The car was in the dealer for a total of 7 weeks out of 24. A/C quit working twice. Power windows stopped working, of course they were down, sunroof quit working, Power seat quit working twice, A total of 4 sensors that had to be replaced. I'll bash them for you. Absolutly the crappiest car I ever owned!!! Funny enough though it is also the only foreign car I ever bought. Never again. Traded it in on a 07 Dodge Charger SRT8. Never been happier.

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 5):
BMW are the best cars ...

Yep, that's why I just read that the 3 series and 5 series just recieved very low grades by the NHTSA in rear end crashes. The only BMW that recieved a good grade is the 7 series. I am looking for the article I just read and will post a link as soon as I find it again.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting Charger (Reply 12):

man look at the M6 it´s the best car I´ve ever seen !

Opinion? Never mind I just checked your age.

Thats what all Germans say  Wink

Yep, that's why I just read that the 3 series and 5 series just recieved very low grades by the NHTSA in rear end crashes. The only BMW that recieved a good grade is the 7 series. I am looking for the article I just read and will post a link as soon as I find it again.

Wow , embarrassing for Germany ...

UALPHLCS

Tue May 01, 2007 6:45 am

My Brother was stationed in Germany for 2 years. He came home and bought a Jetta GTI. Absolutly loves it. But he paid a premium for it. A Japanese import of similar quality would be half as much, and he wouldn't have to use high test gas.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 6:47 am

the name makes 10k ... but a BMW is far better than a GM or any american car ...

Uh oh, this thread can become interesting .... Big grin  Wink

Ford has very different products in Europe then it does in North America. And the products that do have the same name, ave usually better in Europe then they are here. Two examples would be the Ford Focus (we are still have the first generation) and is far inferior in handling/performance and quality of materials to the European model. Also, the Ford Mondeo was sold here in the 1990's as the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique and was a very poor copy of the European original.

Also, this might shock you. VW is always a good 2 years behind when it comes to some cars in North America. I hope you're sitting down for this one, but 2007 is the first year for the Golf 5 (now sold as the Rabbit) in North America!

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 9):

Like I said, this thread could get interesting ....  Wink
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

SJCRRPAX

Tue May 01, 2007 6:47 am

OK, here is my over generalization of the way Americans feel towards cars.

Americans love German cars but feel that they are too expensive and the quality not as good as the Japanese. Americans feel that the German cars perform very well and if you have more money than you know what to do with German cars are a good choice. Volkswagon has the reputation of being a lot of performance for the money but lower quality than Japanese cars.

Americans love American cars but feel the quality isn't as good as Japanese cars and cost more to own because the resale value is low. Americans also love American cars because they hire Americans, it's better for our economy, and are normally big, comfortable and a lot cheaper than German cars.

Americans love Japanese cars because they are the least expensive to own due to high resale value. Ameicans feel that the Japense cars are the highest quality, and in many cases perfom as well or better than German cars.

So, there you have it, Americans Love Cars but hate to ride in busses or other forms of public transist.

Molykote

Tue May 01, 2007 6:49 am

Here are some random thoughts with no scientific research backing them up.....

Do Americans like German cars , or do they prefer American ones ??

Americans like German cars. I think most Americans would prefer to own a German car based upon the test drive experience only. However, some of the considerations below come into play when explaining why more German cars are not seen in the US. Many parts of the US are flooded with nice German cars while some towns have an extremely small precentage of foreign cars (regardless of origin).

German cars are substanitally more expensive to repair than German cars available in the States. These cars are also more expensive to purchase outright. The reliabilitiy of German cars is quite poor over the last several years (particularly with "systems" issues). A basic/common American car will almost certainly have better reliability than a VW (basically the entry level German car in the US).

A fair number of US buyers are not enthusiasts. For such buyers (on paper), US cars do offer a pretty striking value when looking at space, power, etc. However, I personally would argue that a more expensive Toyota represents better long term value than a cheaper (but similarly spec'd American car)

Many people I know (who shop for American cars) have a pretty good idea of what they are going to buy before they test drive a single vehicle (many times they will simply turn in the old XYZ model for the latest XYZ model every few years). Hell, I bought 2 cars in one year without a test drive.

Some people believe that it's their duty to buy an American vehicle. I've known a few people who fought in WWII and have sworn never to knowingly buy a German or Japanese product (although that must be pretty tough these days - however, I do respect their decision). Other shoppers buy American vehicles because they believe it supports their neighbor (or shows solidarity with a union). This is something else that I'd personally dispute as I can easily buy a Toyota (or Honda) made in America by Americans (which isn't always the case with American brands as some buyers might believe).

Something else to consider is that many German cars have more standard equipment in the US than one would expect in Europe (or at least this has been the case in the past). The growing list of common "standard" equipment in the US is actually creating greater value for those who wanted the equipment anyway ("most people"). However, the other effect of this is that the baseline price will also be higher and may discourage some buyers.

Finally, the pricing games that are played with American cars are a joke. Several months ago a dealer was selling the remaining stock of (new) 2006 Ford Tarus sedans for 45% off the sticker price. Under more normal negotiation circumstances, the negotiation room on domestic cars is generally higher than on foreign cars.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the German car driving experience but am waiting until I have more money to spend on buying a higher performance German car. Until then I have a Mazda MX-5 and Lexus ES300 - Both quite reliable and better designed than any comprable American car. I'd never consider an American car apart from a full size truck or large SUV (if I thought I needed either) or C6 Vette. Giving it a second thought, I'm not sure that I'll even bother (eventually) with a German car considering the maintenance issues (and associated cost of repair).

Some of my contributions are probably obvious (and parallel rationalizations could exist for a number of other products/countries) - Others are probably limited in application and reflect only things I've observed personally.

I should add that I see a ton of German cars in the US. What information are you using to form your opinion (or your suggestion of doubt) that the US doesn't like German cars?
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

petertenthije

Tue May 01, 2007 6:51 am

Ford has a special design studio in Europe to cater to the European market. Of course Ford also has a seperate design studio for the US market.

That's why you won't find a Mondeo in the US, it was designed for Europe (I still think the Mondeo could do really well in the USA). Similarly, a lot of the Ford cars and trucks that are sold in the USA are not for sale in Europe. For instance, the F-150 is one of the best selling trucks in the USA, but as far as I know it is not available in Europe. If you desperately want one you will have to import it.

This design studio is also the reason why Ford is a big player in Europe. The other US players (cadilac, buick, dodge , Chrysler) are very rare because they build cars most Europeans don't want.
Attamottamotta!

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 6:52 am

Also, alot of of American car manufacturers like to use the terms "German engineered/designed or European engineered/designed" in their advertisements.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 16):

now that was a good resumee ...  Wink

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 15):
Also, this might shock you. VW is always a good 2 years behind when it comes to some cars in North America.

As said : embarrasing ...

Germany always brag saying that all over the world that the People admire Germany for his cars , and I experienced it like this in South America and European Countries , just in Japan I barely saw no German Car ...

Molykote

Tue May 01, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 18):
That's why you won't find a Mondeo in the US, it was designed for Europe (I still think the Mondeo could do really well in the USA).

Wasn't the Mondeo the same car as the (now discontinued) Ford Contour?

I am not stating this as fact but I do believe I've heard the above somewhere.

rlwynn

Tue May 01, 2007 6:57 am

German cars are made for Germany. We drive fast here. A shit American car would never handel the typical German driver. Not being mean, just the truth. When I drive every day on the autobahn I never drive under 100mph and EVERYDAY (work day) I drive over 120mph. Howmany Americans can say that?

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 6:59 am

Quoting Molykote (Reply 17):

Thank you Molykote for this long answer ! Very interesting ...

I should add that I see a ton of German cars in the US. What information are you using to form your opinion (or your suggestion of doubt) that the US doesn't like German cars?

NO just couriosity , and Pics and videos of the US where I never see a German car  Smile

German cars are substanitally more expensive to repair than German cars available in the States. These cars are also more expensive to purchase outright. The reliabilitiy of German cars is quite poor over the last several years (particularly with "systems" issues). A basic/common American car will almost certainly have better reliability than a VW (basically the entry level German car in the US).

Well bad for the German car makers if they build bad cars ... nobody will buy ...

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 19):
Also, alot of of American car manufacturers like to use the terms "German engineered/designed or European engineered/designed" in their advertisements.

Well Garmany has a good name in Technical skills

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 6:59 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 20):
Germany always brag saying that all over the world that the People admire Germany for his cars

America does like to brag about German cars, they are still a status symbol in many ways, even VW's. They just don't like to admit the German cars are better then their own ...  duck   Wink

Seriously though, it's hard to make a direct comparission with the MB, BMW, Audi, VW's in Europe with the ones here. For example, in Germany it is not hard to find a MB or BMW without air conditioning, but you won't find one in North America.

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 18):
That's why you won't find a Mondeo in the US, it was designed for Europe (I still think the Mondeo could do really well in the USA).

As long as they would keep it to Euro specs, and not try to fit it to North American comfort levels. That's why it did so poorly here back in the 90s.

Molykote

Tue May 01, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 22):
German cars are made for Germany. We drive fast here. A shit American car would never handel the typical German driver. Not being mean, just the truth. When I drive every day on the autobahn I never drive under 100mph and EVERYDAY (work day) I drive over 120mph. Howmany Americans can say that?

What you say may be 100% correct....... but seems to be off the topic of the OP's question.

Were you responding to someone above?

I don't think anyone is unaware of the fact that some sections of the German Autobahn have no restricted speed. I also don't think that anyone is unaware of the fact that European cars (at least those above the econobox class) are often driven at high speeds. What is your point?

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 24):
America does like to brag about German cars, they are still a status symbol in many ways, even VW's. They just don't like to admit the German cars are better then their own ... duck Wink

Silly  Silly

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 24):

Seriously though, it's hard to make a direct comparission with the MB, BMW, Audi, VW's in Europe with the ones here. For example, in Germany it is not hard to find a MB or BMW without air conditioning, but you won't find one in North America.

because of the Climate , you can´t survive in Arizona without Air Conditioning in Berlin yes ..

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 7:04 am

Quoting Molykote (Reply 25):

german bragging  Wink

rlwynn

Tue May 01, 2007 7:05 am

German cars are total overkill in America. They are not used as designed. Just the same as an American car here is way out of its league. And not used as it was designed.

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 26):
because of the Climate , you can´t survive in Arizona without Air Conditioning in Berlin yes ..

I'd rather live in Arizona with out a/c as opposed to Germany in the Summer. The humidity during a German summer is just brutal.

Quoting Molykote (Reply 21):
Wasn't the Mondeo the same car as the (now discontinued) Ford Contour?

I am not stating this as fact but I do believe I've heard the above somewhere.

Yes, I posted that in reply 15.

rlwynn

Tue May 01, 2007 7:09 am

What is your point?

I guess that in America A good reliable Honda or Toyota is probably a better choice than an expensive BMW or Audi. Because it does not need to be driven fast.

Sabena332

Tue May 01, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 19):

Yeah, I also noticed that it is popular in the US of A. Last year I saw a TV ad for some Japanese car manufacturer on Fox, they also used a slogan like: "High-tech from Japan, tested on the German Autobahn, now in the USA".

They are OK, I had a TT however and it was a real piece of crap. My dad had an A8 which he hated, and my brother had an A6 which he could not wait to get rid of.

I bought a brand new 06 Audi 4.2 Quattro last year. I got rid of it 6 months later. What a piece of garbage car. The car was in the dealer for a total of 7 weeks out of 24.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Audis. In my family it's the other way around, we got rid of all the Mercedes POS cars and switched to Audi, not a single unscheduled stop in the shop so far. My father is driving the A8 4.2l and I have to say that it is the best car I've ever driven in my life.

Quoting Soylentgreen (Reply 8):
Volkwagen Jettas remain popular with the 20s crowd.

True, I also noticed that Jettas are pretty popular in the USA.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Charles79

Tue May 01, 2007 7:14 am

Konstantin,

Americans DO like German cars, no doubt about it. Quite a few folks here have given examples of poor reliability but overall German cars are better engineered than American ones. My family has had 3 VW Golf Mk IVs and they were excellent to own. My Golf was only about $500 more than the comparable Focus but the quality inside put the Ford to shame. I drove a Seat Altea in Germany last year and found that VW hasn't lost its touch.

German cars may not be popular everywhere in the US, but both BMW and Mercedes have had record sales for the last 3-4 years in a row, selling well over 200K cars a year (I still remember when Mercedes used to sell 60K cars a year in the early 90's). Here in LA particularly there are more 3-series than Honda Civics on the street. I used to live in the Northeast, and the area is flooded with VW's and Audis.

Most shoppers still prefer Japanese cars for reliability (although Toyota is starting to lack in that dept with many recalls), but the driving experience of the Germans is superior, not to mention the design. American cars, sadly, rely on heavy discounts to sell in proper numbers. They mostly sell in parts of the country where folks still think that buying American is their duty or imports are still making their way in. Otherwise, American brands continue to lose market share nationwide.

Right now I'm driving a Ford Mustang mostly cause it was a cheap convertible (hey, I live in LA!), but my next car will most likely be a Golf GTI Mk V with the DSG. I'm visiting Germany again in 3 weeks (flying to DUS on LTU) and can't wait to get my hands on a European car again!

Cheers!

Charles

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 31):
True, I also noticed that Jettas are pretty popular in the USA.

Most of them are TDi's, and this is basically the only car available over here as a diesel.

If VW were to import the new Polo Bluemotion, they'd sell like warme semmel!

rlwynn

Tue May 01, 2007 7:17 am

I don't think anyone is unaware of the fact that some sections of the German Autobahn have no restricted speed. I also don't think that anyone is unaware of the fact that European cars (at least those above the econobox class) are often driven at high speeds. What is your point?

Also, EVERY freeway (autobahn) has no speed limit. not just select ones.When you come in the middle of a city or around an interchange is where the speed limits are. Not just select ones.

And yes econoboxes are going over 100mph. A 80hp VW polo will go 110mph and you see them everyday doing so. What are sold as Dodge Sprinters in America are going 90 down the Autobahn in large numbers. You go 100 mph in the middle lane and you will get run over.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 7:18 am

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 32):

Interesting how good Japanese cars are doing ! The Japanese did the best cars - they deserve to sell most cars ... now one German Car builder needs to build the best one and cars will just sell as japanese ones ..

Sabena332

Tue May 01, 2007 7:19 am

but my next car will most likely be a Golf GTI Mk V with the DSG.

VW's DSG kicks seriously ass!

I'm visiting Germany again in 3 weeks (flying to DUS on LTU)

Let me know when you have a few hours to waste in the afternoon, we could meet for a bit spotting at DUS and a beer afterwards. I will try to bring my father's Audi A8, then we can go for a joyride on the Autobahn. Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 34):

Also, EVERY freeway (autobahn) has no speed limit. not just select ones.When you come in the middle of a city or around an interchange is where the speed limits are. Not just select ones.

And yes econoboxes are going over 100mph. A 80hp VW polo will go 110mph and you see them everyday doing so. What are sold as Dodge Sprinters in America are going 90 down the Autobahn in large numbers. You go 100 mph in the middle lane and you will get run over.

Man that´s what I love in Germany , when I´ve got my driver's license I´ll go straight to the BMW ""shop" (how do you call it ??) and buy a good M6 Big grin

Konstantin

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 34):
Also, EVERY freeway (autobahn) has no speed limit. not just select ones

The A40 has a speedlimit the whole length.

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 35):
Interesting how good Japanese cars are doing ! The Japanese did the best cars - they deserve to sell most cars ... now one German Car builder needs to build the best one and cars will just sell as japanese ones ..

Interestingly though, Japanese cars, with the exception of Toyota, don't have that good of a reputation in Germany, but that trend is changing.

LHStarAlliance
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 7:23 am

look at this beauty ! My future car !

rlwynn

Tue May 01, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 36):
I will try to bring my father's Audi A8, then we can go for a joyride on the Autobahn.

Can I come? Düsseldorf to Venlo in a A8 would only be about 20 minutes away.

Molykote

Tue May 01, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 28):
German cars are total overkill in America. They are not used as designed. Just the same as an American car here is way out of its league. And not used as it was designed.

I don't know that they are total overkill. One can enjoy the good driving behavior of a higher end German car without nearing top speed. I grew up in Pennsylvania (a heavily wooded US state) with an A4 and BMW 3, 5, and 7 series available for my driving pleasure. Pennsylvania is full of secondary roads much like the ones in your video (although some are in poor condition). However, one can appreciate the differences between an ordinary and dynamically pleasing car on secondary roads better than he (or she) can at 100-120mph on a highway (at least a fairly straight one like that in your video). I've never driven in Germany but I've driven a number of times on a track and still get more enjoyment out of the handling of a car than the raw power or top speed on a highway.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
Yes, I posted that in reply 15.

I didn't notice that due to my (long) initial reply coming in at post 17. I was probably typing my reply when yours posted. Thanks.

Sabena332

Tue May 01, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 33):
Most of them are TDi's, and this is basically the only car available over here as a diesel.

Interesting, I thought that VW Diesels are not available in the USA.

Last February I drove the Jetta of my best friend's cousin from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe, the biggest surprise for me was that it had a manual gear box.  Silly

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 38):

And you better follow it in the area in and around Essen, they have a shitload of speed traps installed on the A40. The other way around in Dortmund... everyone is going with 160/170 kph over the A40 with 120 kph speed limit. Big grin

Patrick

flight152

Tue May 01, 2007 7:28 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 9):

Would you like to back this comment with some actual facts or experiences? If not, your comment means nothing.

rlwynn

Tue May 01, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 38):

That can not be. I know from Duisburg to the Netherlands border is wide open. I do it at least once a month. Now through Essen and Gelsenkirchen to Dortmund is a speed limit for sure.

Sabena332

Tue May 01, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 41):
Can I come?

Of course!

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 41):
Düsseldorf to Venlo in a A8 would only be about 20 minutes away.

A trip to Venlo is a bloody good idea actually! Big grin I can not promise the A8 but I will try my best.

Patrick

ACDC8

Tue May 01, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 43):
Interesting, I thought that VW Diesels are not available in the USA.

I'm not sure about the US, but for 2007 and I believe 2008, TDi's are not available in Canada (with the exception of the Touraeg), partly due to "enviromental concerns" which basically means they've been selling so well that the CAW (Canadian Auto Workers union) feels threatened by it, but mostly because of the fact that the diesel in Canada has a very high sulphur content and has been giving VW lot's of warranty issues. You can still get Jetta/Golf/Passat TDi's, but they are 2006 models.

Last February I drove the Jetta of my best friend's cousin from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe, the biggest surprise for me was that it had a manual gear box.

A manual gear box for a North American is where you have to manually put the gear selector from "P" to "D" ....  Silly

And you better follow it in the area in and around Essen, they have a shitload of speed traps installed on the A40.

I had to learn my lesson the hard way ....  dollarsign   dollarsign   dollarsign   Sad

dtwclipper

Tue May 01, 2007 7:35 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 22):
When I drive every day on the autobahn I never drive under 100mph and EVERYDAY (work day) I drive over 120mph. Howmany Americans can say that?

Well bully for you!

Considering that the US Interstate system is 46,837 miles (75,376 km) and the German Autobahn is only 11,000 km (6,800 miles) in length it not surprising that it is built to a higher standard allowing you drive at high speed.

Now, back to the crux of the issue, and away extolling the virtues of German cars, German cars are popular here, but cost and quality have become an issue.
I turned in my TT for a Mercury, and will trade that in for a Lincoln next year. Sorry, but I live in Detroit, and I will do my part by buying American. I saw no great jump in quality between the German and American cars...myth busted, save for the fact, that my TT had to be towed to the dealer four times, and my "merc" has never had an issue!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

rlwynn

Tue May 01, 2007 7:37 am

I bet you will change your tune after a few hours on the autobahn.

A high speed drive will make your pulse race as fast as the car.

Edit, I forgot to add the quote from somewhere above.

[Edited 2007-05-01 00:39:11]