windowplease

VS Showing Film Claiming 9/11 Was A Conspiracy

Thu May 03, 2007 2:26 am

I was staggered to find out that VS is showing the cretinous "documentary" Loose Change 2 as an inflight movie. This film is a piece of rubbish that gives credence to the view that some kind of sinister conspiracy lurked behind the attacks. What next? Handing out the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion as inflight reading?

Here's how it's billed on the website....

LOOSE CHANGE 2:

Warning: Contains disturbing scenes.

Was 9/11 a government set up? You decide.

Everyone's talking about it so we thought you'd like to see the film that started out as a home movie and became one of the most downloaded documentaries of all time. Was 9/11 a government set up? Were the twin towers brought down in a controlled explosion for an insurance payday? These questions and more are posed in this controversial film, seen by millions, derided by many. Now it's your chance to make up your own mind.

Here's the link:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us...tainment/tv/documentarylisting.jsp

Would love to know what the F/A and flight crew who might have had friends or colleagues on board the four planes that day might feel.....

flyorski

RE: VS Showing Film Claiming 9/11 Was A Conspiracy

Thu May 03, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting Windowplease (Thread starter):
Would love to know what the F/A and flight crew who might have had friends or colleagues on board the four planes that day might feel.....

Relieved that someone is talking about it. It's there aircraft they can show what they want, if you don't like it don't fly with them.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

bond007

Thu May 03, 2007 2:30 am

Like it says ..."Now it's your chance to make up your own mind."

If it is such "a piece of rubbish" then what's the problem?

If you watch it, and decide it's total BS, then problem solved.

I've seen plenty of other rubbish shown on flights.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

n844aa

Thu May 03, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 2):

For what it's worth, the guy that made this "documentary" has said in interviews that he was originally trying to put together a fictional mockumentary-type film, but instead was having so much fun, he decided to try to really convince people that it was all a conspiracy.

Sure, let 'em show whatever they want, but they really ought to print this out and distribute it with it:

http://www.loosechangeguide.com/LooseChangeGuide.html
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

LMP737

Thu May 03, 2007 2:35 am

Loose Change barley fits the definition of documantary. They are so full of factaul errors, inconsitancies and out right lies as to be laufable. The problem is that there are plenty of people who will buy into what they say without giving it a second thought.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

dsmflyer

Thu May 03, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 4):
They are so full of factaul errors, inconsitancies and out right lies as to be laufable

Don't they cite Wikipedia as a source at one point? That's what I've heard anyway. That in itself is laughable.

bond007

Thu May 03, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 4):
Loose Change barley fits the definition of documantary. They are so full of factaul errors, inconsitancies and out right lies as to be laufable. The problem is that there are plenty of people who will buy into what they say without giving it a second thought.

So it should be censored??

If there are stupid people around that believe it, then let them. That's the beauty of living in the 'free world' versus North Korea.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Newark777

Thu May 03, 2007 2:43 am

Their next idea is to play random YouTube videos throughout the flight. Just about the same quality videos as any of the "Loose Change" "movies."

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Newark777

Thu May 03, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 6):

No, but VS should have enough common sense not to play it.

But I guess anything is better than the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" type crap I always seem to get as the in flight movie.

Harry

jaysit

Thu May 03, 2007 2:45 am

Personally I think its in bad taste, but then so is Big Momma's House part 2.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

UAL747

Thu May 03, 2007 2:45 am

I'd just kind of find it disturbing to watch a film about high jacked aircraft flying into buildings on my LHR-JFK flight.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

windowplease

Thu May 03, 2007 2:46 am

Of course they can show what they like. But I can spend my money with whom I like, too. It's just made me even more determined not to put any of mine or my firm's money their way.

That and the surly staff, huge lines at LHR and the worst seat pitch of any long haul airline.

Newark777

Thu May 03, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 10):
I'd just kind of find it disturbing to watch a film about high jacked aircraft flying into buildings on my LHR-JFK flight.

Good point, I've always thought airlines just stayed away from all films having to do with aviation disasters.

Harry

PanAm747

Thu May 03, 2007 2:58 am

Ironic isn't it? Richard Branson, the man who claims everything against him is a conspiracy (hello, BA!!) is proudly showing a 9/11-was-a-conspiracy movie on his planes.

As to the "movie" itself, if it was the ONLY thing showing, I'd have a problem with it, but if it's one of many choices (like a Direct TV set-up), I wouldn't be as concerned, personally.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

andessmf

Thu May 03, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):

No, but VS should have enough common sense not to play it.

checkmark 

But I guess anything is better than the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" type crap I always seem to get as the in flight movie.

But those movies are known as fantasies.

philb

Thu May 03, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting Windowplease (Reply 11):
That and the surly staff

I've flown them for 20 years or so and, in general, they are pleasant and helpful

huge lines at LHR

That's because they are popular and T3 isn't a good place to have to work from.

the worst seat pitch of any long haul airline.

What sort of tape measure are you using and just how tall did you say you were?

LMP737

Thu May 03, 2007 3:07 am

If there are stupid people around that believe it, then let them. That's the beauty of living in the 'free world' versus North Korea.

Did I say anything about censorship? No I did not. What I did do was point out what garbage Loose Change really is.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

kevi747

Thu May 03, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 1):
Relieved that someone is talking about it. It's there aircraft they can show what they want, if you don't like it don't fly with them.

I think you guys are seriously missing the point.

Fair enough.  laughing 

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 10):

Finally, someone states the glaringly obvious. Most people don't want to watch videos of airplanes crashing while riding on airplanes. It's unsettling. Almost as unsettling as the number of deluded fools who actually believe these conspiracy theories are true.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

RDUDDJI

Thu May 03, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 7):
Their next idea is to play random YouTube videos throughout the flight.

Now I would be a huuuuge fan of that!
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

bond007

Thu May 03, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting Kevi747 (Reply 17):
Finally, someone states the glaringly obvious. Most people don't want to watch videos of airplanes crashing while riding on airplanes. It's unsettling. Almost as unsettling as the number of deluded fools who actually believe these conspiracy theories are true.

If you don't want to watch it .... then guess what? Don't watch it. It contains a warning, and it's obvious what the 'documentary' is about.

There are 7 or 8 TV channels, plus movies and games aren't there?

It's like people complaining that Jerry Springer is such crap ... it's only on TV because people watch it, and because of that, it attracts advertisers ... if nobody watched it, it wouldn't be around!

Jimbo

philb

Thu May 03, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Kevi747 (Reply 17):
Most people don't want to watch videos of airplanes crashing while riding on airplanes. It's unsettling.

I remember reading a number of accident reports on a trans Atlantic flight prior to a meeting I had regarding a safety conference.

The guy next to me got a little spooked as I left them on my seat when I went to the loo and he obviously took a look. He actually asked me why I was reading them during a flight - he made it obvious he didn't think it appropriate.

Just goes to prove some adults never get over superstition and pointless fears in just the same way that people get needlessly exercised over the showing of this film..

In a truly adult world the viewers would be able to make an adult decision about its veracity and its motives - or just not watch it at all - no-one's forcing them.

1stfl94

Thu May 03, 2007 3:37 am

It's being shown on a PERSONAL screen, that means if you don't like the film you don't have to watch it. That said are they going to edit out the scenes of the plane crashes????

DAYflyer

Thu May 03, 2007 3:58 am

I was staggered to find out that VS is showing the cretinous "documentary" Loose Change 2 as an inflight movie. This film is a piece of rubbish that gives credence to the view that some kind of sinister conspiracy lurked behind the attacks. What next? Handing out the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion as inflight reading?

Im surprised VS has sunk to this low level.

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 1):
Relieved that someone is talking about it.

"Relieved someone is talking about it"?? You cant be seriously suggesting that the US government would murder 3,000+ of it's own people.

If you do, I have some great beachfront propery in Kansas you can buy.....
One Nation Under God

Newark777

Thu May 03, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 21):
It's being shown on a PERSONAL screen, that means if you don't like the film you don't have to watch it. That said are they going to edit out the scenes of the plane crashes????

That's like trying to edit all graphic war scenes out of Saving Private Ryan. Doesn't leave much of a movie left.  Wink

Harry

khobar

Thu May 03, 2007 4:21 am

"An Inconvenient Truth" and its origins comes to mind. What started out as an idea concocted to thwart a certain segment of political power has roller-coastered into something far more powerful. As a previous discussion revealed, there are a lot of people who aren't interested in facts.

That is the problem.

No, if Virgin wants to promote acceptibility of this conspiracy then they should be free to do so. "We" can then make up "our" minds whether to support Virgin in its efforts to promote this conspiracy by flying them or not. That way everyone's happy.

cedarjet

Thu May 03, 2007 4:24 am

Why are you so upset? I'm inclined to believe the official version, mainly because of Occam's Raazor and because the Saudis had plenty of reason to hit back at the US for American support for a hideously corrupt regime and for keeping tens of thousands of troops on Saudi soil etc etc. But I certainly think, as do most objective people, that a US gov't led by the likes of Cheney & Co are capable of such a thing (see my remark in answer to DAYflyer). I find some of Loose Change to be pretty far of the mark, but I think these things are worth discussion and I'm not afraid of any of it being in the public discourse.

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 22):
You cant be seriously suggesting that the US government would murder 3,000+ of it's own people.

Are you referring to the victims of Katrina? Or the US soldiers senselessly killed in Iraq?

Ridiculous. A friend of mine died in the South Tower. Why would Loose Change affect the way I feel about it? Americans love to pretend to be "offended" to advance their own political ideas and silence others. Grow up.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

AEROFAN

Thu May 03, 2007 4:31 am

Of for crikes sale!!!!! focus people!!!!!!!!

the things some of you people get on about!!!!!!! i can only but wonder sometimes if your lives are devoid of meaning!!!!

switch the channel, turn the whole system off. listen to your ipod or to music, read a book, watch the clouds or land mass,

in short get a life!

EA772LR

Thu May 03, 2007 4:31 am

"If you do, I have some great beachfront propery in Kansas you can buy....."

checkmark  well said DAYflyer. Regardless of having a choice to believe it or a choice to watch it, it's wrong to be showing a film supporting the idea that America planned 9/11, when some psycho terrorist organization that clearly has killed many other people around the world obviously did it. And like its been said already, who the hell wants to watch a film about crashing planes while flying anyway. Nice job Sir Richard
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

md80fanatic

Thu May 03, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 21):
That said are they going to edit out the scenes of the plane crashes????

You mean they are going to edit out the original edits?  scratchchin 

Just seeing the number sequence 911 evokes visuals of crashing planes anyway.....so why edit them out?

philb

Thu May 03, 2007 4:45 am

This thread proves one thing. There are a great number of people in the US and some in the UK who feel VERY insecure when the official line is challenged in any way - even by something as far out as this film.

Why?

Perhaps because, for all the flag waving and patriotism, there are some doubts, even in the minds of the most fervent Bushites and Blairites, that something about 9/11 and the way it has been used doesn't add up and one day the truth might just come out in some form or other so the only permitted "evidence" must keep strictly to the official line - just in case......

Newark777

Thu May 03, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 29):
Why?

Because we have common sense and don't appreciate people that don't. Simple as that.  Smile

Harry

iclcy

Thu May 03, 2007 4:51 am

Are you the spawn of Mary Whitehouse?

Its called free choice.

You have the choice to watch it or not. No one is making you watch it.

Personally my money will never line the pockets of SRB again. In 7 yrs I've experience teenage-phobia, homophobia & the last straw accused of trying to kidnap my partners mother.

Did I cry out in protest no, because we all have a choice in what we watch, believe, create & where we spend our money.

md80fanatic

Thu May 03, 2007 4:59 am

But Harry......common sense is just that, common. Some have made the leap beyond the common to find loose threads all throughout the story.

Occam's Razor doesn't work so well when you use it to take apart the arguments of those whose full intention it is to decieve.

Newark777

Thu May 03, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 32):
Occam's Razor doesn't work so well when you use it to take apart the arguments of those whose full intention it is to decieve.

But who's the one doing the deceiving, Loose Change or the Government? As far as we know, Loose Change is the one with tons of holes in their story and lack of evidence. But that's the main crux of conspiracy theories, use one shady fact to counteract the preponderance of evidence.

But this isn't the place to argue about those things....  Wink

Harry

BlueShamu330s

Thu May 03, 2007 5:29 am

That and the surly staff, huge lines at LHR and the worst seat pitch of any long haul airline.

Ahhh, and there's the rub.

You're not just pissed that Virgin dare to, what you probably perceive as, challenge the establishment (I bet you believe everything about Iraq on the BBC, Fox and CNN is anti-capitalist anti-establishment broo hah hah too, right...?), but you have an axe to grind against Virgin, period.

Sad, really, that for an airline which you cleary so vehemently despise, you have travelled sufficiently with them to contribute a rather poor trip report to A.net covering the movies on board, your experience at the airport, and the fact the cabin crew cleary regarded you as the demi-god you are not.

My condolences to the crew who had the pleasure of your company.

Shamu
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

jfk787nyc

Thu May 03, 2007 5:38 am

Virgin should not be showing this show. Especially when they have so many people flying on the plane heading to or from New York.

I could expect this in South America or some parts of the Middle East but not from an airline that flies London - New York. It is like saying there terriosit bombings were also a conspiracy or Spain's bombings were a conspiracy I am sorry but, it doesnt seem those other two bombings within a couple of years were United States conspiracy also

philb

Thu May 03, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting JFK787NYC (Reply 35):
Virgin should not be showing this show. Especially when they have so many people flying on the plane heading to or from New York.

Its called FREEDOM - something that is going down the pan in Bush's USA. Wake up smell the coffee before it's too late.

AADC10

Thu May 03, 2007 5:50 am

What is the problem with showing "Loose Change" on the plane? Obviously it is entertaining enough for some people to put it on the entertainment system. It is not really any different than showing "J.F.K." on the plane. Still, showing crash footage does not exactly encourage air travel.

The bottom line is that it is entertainment. The main criteria is that it should be entertaining and for some people "Loose Change" is entertaining. Just because you disagree with it should not be a reason to ban it. If you do not like it, change the channel.

MDorBust

Thu May 03, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 25):
Are you referring to the victims of Katrina?

The US government caused Hurricane Katrina?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

BlueShamu330s

Thu May 03, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 36):
Its called FREEDOM - something that is going down the pan in Bush's USA. Wake up smell the coffee before it's too late.

How eruditely put, sir !

It's almost a Frankie Howard moment, " Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it In For Me!! "

Shamu

ps to Philb, not forgotten to reply to mail, just been up to neck in sh*t this week  wink 
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

andessmf

Thu May 03, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 37):
It is not really any different than showing "J.F.K."

It is completely different. JFK was not labeled as a documentary. Loose Change is:

"The central premise of Loose Change is that the United States Government was, at the very least, criminally negligent in allowing the attacks of September 11th, 2001 to occur.

However, when one looks deeper into the evidence, one might come to the startling conclusion that our own government might have been directly responsible for the attacks themselves."

http://www.loosechange911.com/

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 37):

The bottom line is that it is entertainment.

Then the producers and promoters should change the website to reflect reality.

FlyKev
Crew

Thu May 03, 2007 6:20 am

Considering its on the V:Port system, I can't see why it would bother you.
yes, its a bunch of *bleep* and is in poor taste on VS's behalf, but as people say, its their planes, don't watch it.
With a name like loose change, someone would have a quick glance at it and assume its a financial program and definably not watch it. I mean, who watches money programs when they fly?

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

BlueShamu330s

Thu May 03, 2007 6:21 am

My goodness, from some of the arguments on this thread, "the Queen" should never have been released either.

I thought in these, so called, frought times, a cherished claim was that the 'west' has the freedom and oportunity for speech, yet here on A.net the OP is seeking to supress that very freedom.

I shake my head in disbelief sometimes at the hypocrisy and insecurity of the so-called "western" world.  ashamed 

Shamu

md80fanatic

Thu May 03, 2007 6:25 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 33):
But who's the one doing the deceiving, Loose Change or the Government?

Both and neither, who knows? I'm afraid the "official" side has not been completely forthcoming with evidence, considering the magnitude of the event, and the conspiracy side is grasping at sometimes ridiculous straws in order to fill the gaps left by the official side. The muddying of the waters from both sides is evident.....however I expect the conspiracy side to be wrong more often than not considering their lack of physical evidence and a strong need for educated guesswork. The official side though has no reason to muddy the water (if what they are telling us is 100% factual).

As time goes on (as always) the official side will become the truth, and also history.

About VS, freedom of choice, and this film, I think any piece of work stands on it's own essentially. If the subject matter seems to jive with the viewer, the work gains credibility, if it doesn't jive.....it will fail on it's own merits (or lack thereof). It appears to me that as long as the movie meets decency standards that all other airborne visual fare must undergo, there shouldn't be a problem offering it as a choice to customers. If people do not watch it, the listing will disappear during the next system upload. If it becomes popular.....well, some will not be happy.

Using the official side's own catchphrase against them, "If you have nothing to hide, then what are you worried about?". If this movie is as bad and error filled as they say it is, they should be wanting it shown to as many people as possible. Does this make sense? Or am I taking crazy pills?

AC773

Thu May 03, 2007 6:27 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 41):
I mean, who watches money programs when they fly?

I would! It doesn't take much to beat 80% of the crap they show on some IFE systems.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Newark777

Thu May 03, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 42):
I thought in these, so called, frought times, a cherished claim was that the 'west' has the freedom and oportunity for speech, yet here on A.net the OP is seeking to supress that very freedom.

It must be convenient to ignore what has been said and create your own reality. Like what Loose Change has done.

In fact, if you read, people are just saying that it's in very poor taste for VS to show the movie. You're acting as if the government is banning this film from being released at all. :-|

Harry

md80fanatic

Thu May 03, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 45):
It must be convenient to ignore what has been said and create your own reality. Like what Loose Change has done.

98% of the movies is my growing collection are ones where the director "created their own reality" (aka fiction), is this reason to not show it? So they claim it's true, does that make it so?

I think it's good for companies to row against this political correctness tidal wave (Good for you VS, now if only you could tell the whackos to shove their carbon credits up their ozone holes.....), and get back to helping foster the vaunted ideals we were born with. Caveat Emptor. People will use their better judgment when watching this subject matter. None will sit glazed over and drooling, sucking it up like a robot.

Ahhhh, poor taste.....perhaps. We'll see what happens....

[Edited 2007-05-02 23:41:18]

Newark777

Thu May 03, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 46):
98% of the movies is my growing collection are ones where the director "created their own reality" (aka fiction), is this reason to not show it? So they claim it's true, does that make it so?

I was speaking more of him putting words in previous posters' mouths, not the content of the film.

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 46):
I think it's good for companies to row against this political correctness tidal wave

I'm all for getting rid of political correctness.  Wink

Harry

BlueShamu330s

Thu May 03, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 45):

Oh really?

The whole intonation of the OP's post seems to centre on the fact that the OP regards the content as both purile and damaging; he believes Virgin should not be showing this.

I, on the other hand, believe anyone who seeks to supress an alternative notion or belief is either narrow minded, insecure, or both.

Shamu

gojetset

Thu May 03, 2007 6:59 am

Does anyone know if this is being shown in conjunction with the Short Film Festival Virgin is offering the next couple of months?

http://v-flyer.com/pages.asp?click=191&pageid=191

^ There is a link to the story.

I personally think that people have a choice as to what they see and hear. If this film was being projected on a main screen in an aircraft, i can understand the outrage, But this is being played on PTVs, and the nature of the film is described before hand.

just my  twocents