AA787823
Topic Author

Taking A USA Car To Europe...?

Sat May 05, 2007 5:56 am

A friend on mine is planning on going to Europe for 2 1/2 months in early July. He wants to ship his car to Europe to drive around while he is there...then ship it back. While I am sure he will have to purchase some type of insurance, what about his registration. Can he get away with driving on his California plates (assuming he has them by then, he just bought the car on Tuesday).
Are there any smog issues to be concernced with?
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

ManuCH
Crew

RE: Taking A USA Car To Europe...?

Sat May 05, 2007 5:58 am

I don't know about insurance (you definitely need to have one), but yes, you can drive around with California plates. You see US registered cars driving around in Europe sometimes, so it's definitely possible.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

aloges

Sat May 05, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 1):
yes, you can drive around with California plates

checkmark  AFAIK, the red blinkers found on many US cars aren't a problem either but he should check that one.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

PPVRA

Sat May 05, 2007 6:03 am

Why do people do this? Must be awfully costly to ship a car and back, especially for just a trip.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

AA787823
Topic Author

Sat May 05, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 3):
Why do people do this? Must be awfully costly to ship a car and back, especially for just a trip.

For my friend, money is no object. He retired at the old age of 31. He wants to drive his 2007 Corvette around Europe. He may wind up selling it there, but ya never know...

aloges

Sat May 05, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 4):
He retired at the old age of 31.

Bet he got the full deal incl. third teeth and all... lucky him! Anyway, driving a technically delicate sports car he should also take a look at automobile associations, possibly the AAA can offer some sort of partnership with European AAs. Even if money isn't an option and he can easily pay for services himself, he'll still appreciate being picked up quickly.  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sat May 05, 2007 6:24 am

I shipped my Camaro from Halifax, NS to Liverpool on an ACL ro-ro and it only cost C$600 back in 1992. Sea freight, even containerised, is amazingly cheap. Apart from insurance, there are no special requirements for his vehicle. He isn't required to get his vehicle safety inspected or re-registered. Nice way to avoid the speed cameras too!
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

Air380

Sat May 05, 2007 8:38 am

From experience: don't do it! He will spend a lot of time in offices, talking to the police on road checks, etc. Maybe he would like to spend his time driving and not talking to the authorities! Really, I talk from experience, if you want (rather lenghty) details, I am happy to tell you.

ba757gla

Sun May 06, 2007 6:50 am

There are quite a few American Plated cars around. Even seen a n australian one last year!

WildcatYXU

Sun May 06, 2007 10:46 am

If he doesn't intend to register his car in EU, he's fine. He can drive his 'Vette in Europe without any problems. An overseas insurance from his local insurance company should be sufficient, however it's possible to purchase insurance for temporarily used vehicles from local insurance companies.

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 6):
I shipped my Camaro from Halifax, NS to Liverpool on an ACL ro-ro and it only cost C$600 back in 1992.

It's definitely more than that nowadays. An 20' container from the GTA to Hamburg would cost you close to $ 3500.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

Coal

Sun May 06, 2007 6:11 pm

I know for a fact there's a brown Grand Cherokee with New Jersey plates roaming Europe. Saw it in Dublin in Juy 2005 and then again in Tallinn in June 2006. Quite a coincidence!

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

Coal

Sun May 06, 2007 6:13 pm

I also wanted to add that some time back in 2005 I saw a BMW 5 Series driving East on I-10 in FL with UK plates.

Cheers
Coal

ANother

Sun May 06, 2007 7:03 pm

He may wind up selling it there,

That won't be so easy. The buyer will need to ensure that the vehicle meets the standards applicable in the country concerned. The EU rules should be the same, or at least similar, but other European standards are likely to differ. US/EU standards are close, but not the same.

A colleague tried to import a 'scooter' from the US to Switzerland. Since that particular make/model had never been retailed here - he had to pay for an initial inspection (something the car companies have to do with each new make/model) which would have cost him 20K CHF! I think it's still sitting in his basement. There are exceptions for 'classic' cars - but I don't think his car would qualify.

ozglobal

Sun May 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Don' do it. If he's got money there are a dozen cars he could lease: Astin Martin, Germans, Italians,... Better cars and better ways to spend his time in Europe.

If he insists, don't listen to any complaints about red tape, he asked for it.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

rlwynn

Sun May 06, 2007 9:29 pm

You can rent Corvettes here in Germany from Avis.
I can drive faster than you

ltbewr

Sun May 06, 2007 9:54 pm

I know that there are companies at major ports like Port Newark/Elizabeth, NJ that specialize in the sea shipping of motor vehicles and I am quite sure similar companies are available at other port cities as well. Probably a web search can locate such companies. You may have to arrange transport of the car to a port city as well. I am quite sure your friends real goal is to drive on the Autobahn sectors without a speed limit, but I hope he has enough brains to be a sufficiently skilled driver, not just go on a lark to go 150 MPH+ and get killed or kill others.

EMBQA

Sun May 06, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting AA787823 (Thread starter):
A friend on mine is planning on going to Europe for 2 1/2 months in early July. He wants to ship his car to Europe to drive around while he is there...then ship it back.

For a trip that short I don't think the cost and time will be out weighed. I'm guessing he'll need to start the process several weeks before his scheduled departure for the car to be there when he arrives, and then he would need to wait several weeks after his arrival back in the US to get his car back. Seeing that he lives in CA, ... add even more time there.......!!!! A lot more time.....!! Meaning... if he really wants to do this for a trip in early July, he would need to ship soon..... very-very soon.

[Edited 2007-05-06 15:17:06]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

UTA_flyinghigh

Sun May 06, 2007 10:24 pm

There's vehicles running around with US plates even here in Tunisia. If his license/registration/insurance are in order there'll be no problems at all.

Furthermore you can blast through those pesky speed camerhaas as I am pretty sure there are no EU/USA agreements on motoring offences.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

AA787823
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 16):
For a trip that short I don't think the cost and time will be out weighed. I'm guessing he'll need to start the process several weeks before his scheduled departure for the car to be there when he arrives, and then he would need to wait several weeks after his arrival back in the US to get his car back. Seeing that he lives in CA, ... add even more time there.......!!!! A lot more time.....!! Meaning... if he really wants to do this for a trip in early July, he would need to ship soon..... very-very soon.

He was planning on shipping the car in the next week or two....But since he just bought the car last week, he will not have his plates yet. Only the "Courtesy Chevrolet" paper advertisement and the California Report of Sale (temp tag). California usually takes 4-6 weeks to get the plates out.

He has 7 cars...I dont think the time of not having a car is that big a deal to him....Must be nice to have lots of $$$$$$$.

lijnden

Mon May 07, 2007 5:48 am

As a tourist you can bring your car unlimited in the EU. You must have proof of insurance (try Aegon company in the USA) and they will issue you a insurance card or else try AAA. I have always shipped my cars from Norfolk, VA or Balimore, MD or Port Elizabeth, NJ and insurance for both the trip and Europe was not a problem. You can drive around with the existing plates as a tourist for 1 year. Fuel is also not a problem (exept the price!) and the lower octanes (up to 95) will do fine.
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

ACDC8

Mon May 07, 2007 5:53 am

Just a word about driving in Europe with foreign plates, if you get pulled over for speeding or other moving violations requiring a fine, you have to pay on the spot, so either make sure you've got lots of cash on you or drive very carefully.

BTW,

He may wind up selling it there

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 18):
But since he just bought the car last week

Confused
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Mir

Mon May 07, 2007 8:05 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 11):
I also wanted to add that some time back in 2005 I saw a BMW 5 Series driving East on I-10 in FL with UK plates.

I've seen a lot of cars with foreign front plates in FL, but they all have FL plates on the back.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LOT767-300ER

Mon May 07, 2007 12:51 pm

Quoting Air380 (Reply 7):
From experience: don't do it! He will spend a lot of time in offices, talking to the police on road checks, etc. Maybe he would like to spend his time driving and not talking to the authorities! Really, I talk from experience, if you want (rather lenghty) details, I am happy to tell you.

You are not speaking from experience at all, or maybe your experience is limited to one country. I have driven at least 5 US registered vehicles in the EU including having 2 cars shipped from the USA there (most recently yesterday I put a 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD in the container port from Chicago-->Norfolk-->Bremerhaven-->Gdynia-->Warsaw.

Furthermore, I have never had a problem with any car that I was driving with authorities, and never spent anytime in offices except to have the shipping arranged (which takes 1 hour of paperwork fillouts and payment)

Quoting ANother (Reply 12):
That won't be so easy. The buyer will need to ensure that the vehicle meets the standards applicable in the country concerned. The EU rules should be the same, or at least similar, but other European standards are likely to differ. US/EU standards are close, but not the same.

Major differences. Blinkers must be orange not red, there must be rear fog lights and the front lights are asymetrical in the EU, symetrical in the United States.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 16):

Quoting Mir (Reply 21):
I've seen a lot of cars with foreign front plates in FL, but they all have FL plates on the back.

Yes, because theres alot of idiot American kids who think they are German by putting a plate on the front of their VW. Idiots.

Let me spell out some rumors here that this undertaking is not that expensive if you have cash.

You ship either via sealed container or a car carrier. Depending on what your port of destination is. For example, Car shipped Chicago-->Bremerhaven goes by car carrier, Chicago-->Gdynia goes by sealed container.

If your friend wants to know dimensions here they are:

20 feet (20 ft) 20 ft x 8 ft x 8 ft 5 in
6,1 m x 2,4 m x 2,6 m ok. 33 m3

40 feet(40 ft) 40 ft x 8 ft x 8 ft 6 in
12,2 m x 2,4 m x 2,6 m ok. 67 m3

40 feet High Cube (40 ft HC) 40 ft x 8 ft x 9 ft 6 in
12,2 m x 2,4 m x 2,9 m ok. 76 m3

Here are the companies that ship USA--Europe car traffic:

Armator Pojemnoœæ TEU[5] Udzia³ w rynku Liczba statków
A.P. Moller-Maersk Group 1,665,272 18.2% 549
Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A. 784,248 8.6% 299
CMA CGM 507,954 5.6% 256
Evergreen Marine Corporation 477,911 5.2% 153
Hapag-Lloyd 412,344 4.5% 140
China Shipping Container Lines 346,493 3.8% 111
American President Lines 331,437 3.6% 99
Hanjin-Senator 328,794 3.6% 145
COSCO 322,326 3.5% 118
NYK Line 302,213 3.3% 105

First line is capacity, second is market share, third is number of ships.

If you need to clear customs and re-register your vehicle the approximate time is 4-6 weeks depending where the car is shipped from and what country it is being shipped to. If the car is going to be on US plates of course no customs financial clearance and the wait is 3-4 days shorter (where excise, duty and tax is collected...about 60-65% of car value in Poland for example where a $20k Jeep Liberty in the end costs $33-34k taxes, duties and excise VAT paid).

You can buy marine insurance for the trip (and should), or the only land company that provides regular insurance that will cover overseas shipping is Progressive (which is one of the many reasons why they are so damn expensive)

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 13):
Don' do it. If he's got money there are a dozen cars he could lease: Astin Martin, Germans, Italians,... Better cars and better ways to spend his time in Europe.

Or he can drive his corvette if he wants to. Maybe hes got enough dough that he doesnt want a car with annoying asymetrical lighting...

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 15):
You may have to arrange transport of the car to a port city as well.

You dont have to, the company arranges shipping to port of export and is part of package such as Norfolk or Baltimore.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 9):
It's definitely more than that nowadays. An 20' container from the GTA to Hamburg would cost you close to $ 3500.

Seems costly even if we are talking CDN. Chicago - Hamburg / Bremerhaven costs $1450USD, Direct to central Poland costs $1750USD. Price for a 40 is $1000 more and $1200 for a 40 high cube.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):
Just a word about driving in Europe with foreign plates, if you get pulled over for speeding or other moving violations requiring a fine, you have to pay on the spot, so either make sure you've got lots of cash on you or drive very carefully.

Not everytime, I got stopped once in Czech Rep with my friend in a Grand Prix last summer returning from Italy for not having an Interstate sticker and we got fined something like equivalent to $100USD and he wrote us a ticket. Oh well, we were on Illinois plates so all they did was waste their time.

ACDC8

Mon May 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 22):
Not everytime, I got stopped once in Czech Rep with my friend in a Grand Prix last summer returning from Italy for not having an Interstate sticker and we got fined something like equivalent to $100USD and he wrote us a ticket. Oh well, we were on Illinois plates so all they did was waste their time.

There's always exceptions, but in Germany for example, if you get pulled over for speeding and you do not have German plates, you have to pay on the spot, otherwise it's off to the station where your car will be impounded or if you leave another valuable deposit until you get the funds. But, as I said, there are exceptions, however, that's the way it usually goes.

lijnden

Mon May 07, 2007 3:44 pm

Just use Ro-Ro shipping! A one-way trip from Norfolk/Baltimore or Port Elizabeth will cost you around US$ 850-1000. As a shipping company I use Wallenius shipping.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP

Good luck
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon May 07, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 3):

Not for that long of a trip.

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 14):
You can rent Corvettes here in Germany from Avis.

Chicago - Hamburg / Bremerhaven costs $1450USD,

I'm sure renting for so long would be pretty expensive, knowing rental rates in Europe. Probably cheaper to ship, plus then you have your own car.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):

Driving on foreign plates....priceless.

For everything else, there's Mastercard  Wink

I know some countries carry credit card terminals in their cars.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 23):
if you leave another valuable deposit

Does a wife/husband count?  duck 
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

deltadc9

Mon May 07, 2007 11:54 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
driving a technically delicate sports car

Corvettes are not "delecate" like European sports cars.

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 13):
Better cars and better ways to spend his time in Europe.

Better car than a 07 Vette? Please. Better ways than driving a Vette around Europe? Agan, PLEASE!
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

JJJ

Tue May 08, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 23):
There's always exceptions, but in Germany for example, if you get pulled over for speeding and you do not have German plates, you have to pay on the spot, otherwise it's off to the station where your car will be impounded or if you leave another valuable deposit until you get the funds. But, as I said, there are exceptions, however, that's the way it usually goes.

Same in France and Spain. They will usually escort you to an ATM should you need to, though.

At least he won't have to worry about unmanned speed cameras. Lucky he.

Coal

Tue May 08, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 21):

Your point being?  Yeah sure He had the steering wheel on the right side, does that tell you anything?  Yeah sure

Cheers
Coal

ACDC8

Tue May 08, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 25):
Driving on foreign plates....priceless.

For everything else, there's Mastercard

Yeah, but with my luck, they only accept Visa ....  Big grin

I know some countries carry credit card terminals in their cars.

Quoting JJJ (Reply 27):
They will usually escort you to an ATM should you need to, though.

These are options as well.

Does a wife/husband count?

In Hamburg and Amsterdam they do ...  Silly

SWISSER

Mon May 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 26):
Corvettes are not "delecate" like European sports cars.

I wish they where as delecate in the corners and on traction as a delecate european sports car...
Great price though! I had a cadillac XLR-V a few months ago, even worse...

in case of the XLR, it was delecate, engine vibrations, calipers inconsistent, drivetrain had troubles under stress,
understeer and oversteer if you push it.so far the Z06 does not have those problems.

Better car than a 07 Vette? Please.

Lamborghini Gallardo/Audi R8/Porche GT3

Better ways than driving a Vette around Europe?

In a Gallardo!, I am sure you can rent them!
What time is top of descent?

Viscount724

Tue May 15, 2007 11:03 am

GM sold 1265 Corvettes in Europe in 2006 according to data in their European website.

By the way, they're not sold under the Chevrolet name in Europe, just "Corvette" as a stand-alone brand. I think they made that change a year or so ago when they started using the Chevrolet name for numerous small/medium-size Korean-built models were previously sold under the Daewoo name.

JJJ

Tue May 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 31):
By the way, they're not sold under the Chevrolet name in Europe, just "Corvette" as a stand-alone brand. I think they made that change a year or so ago when they started using the Chevrolet name for numerous small/medium-size Korean-built models were previously sold under the Daewoo name.

They're sold in Cadillac dealers, btw. (That often means that Jeep, Hummer and sometimes even Saab and/or Opel are in the mix, too).

LH423

Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 am

Yes, because theres alot of idiot American kids who think they are German by putting a plate on the front of their VW. Idiots.

Ugh, it's common to see that in Québec as well (where there's no front plate requirement). The kind they have in Québec don't even look like European number plates. Well, maybe plates from 30 years ago but nothing you'd commonly see in Europe now so it just looks like cheap knock-off.

I've seen NY plates in Paris, there was a German tour bus that used to do Summer tours in Boston. I haven't seen in it a few years since I haven't lived in Boston full-time since 2004 but it was one of those really large European buses in a hideous metallic, frog green colour and had German plates. A friend of mine once saw Argentina plates in the Ottawa area.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ACDC8

Wed May 16, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 33):

Ugh, it's common to see that in Québec as well (where there's no front plate requirement). The kind they have in Québec don't even look like European number plates. Well, maybe plates from 30 years ago but nothing you'd commonly see in Europe now so it just looks like cheap knock-off.

Even though in BC, we're required to have a front plate (Lord only knows why ...  Yeah sure ), I'll be putting a German plate on the front of my new Golf when it arrives, I've still got a MH plate from my car there. It's from my hometown, so what the heck.

I once saw a black Jetta 4 in Kelowna, it had a customized Europlate on it with "BORA MK4", I thought that was pretty cool, I don't think to many people around here get it though.

Kunoichi

Wed May 16, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 17):
Furthermore you can blast through those pesky speed camerhaas as I am pretty sure there are no EU/USA agreements on motoring offences.

Quoting JJJ (Reply 27):
At least he won't have to worry about unmanned speed cameras. Lucky he.

Yes, very lucky- he gets to speed and maybe kill someone because he chooses not to obey that rule, just because it's "fun".

I seriously hope you have more brain and respect for other people lives than to speed just because the cameras may not be effective...  Yeah sure
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

JJJ

Wed May 16, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 35):
Yes, very lucky- he gets to speed and maybe kill someone because he chooses not to obey that rule, just because it's "fun".

I seriously hope you have more brain and respect for other people lives than to speed just because the cameras may not be effective...

Most speed cameras are put in places where it's perfectly safe to go over the posted limit. They're not there to reduce accidents, but rather to collect additional revenue.

Speed per se does not cause accidents, inapropiate speed does. I'm sure we've discussed this before, so there's no need to beat this particular dead horse.

SWISSER

Wed May 16, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 34):
I'll be putting a German plate on the front of my new Golf when it arrives

I thought the Europlates where one of the most boring ones around!
I like the USA/CDN style, giving some character to your plate, it actually hides the fact that it's a mean of the gov. to catch you!

As a side fact, I heard that a guy in the UAE bought a plate just stating "5" for a mere 2.000.000 EUR!

I am getting of track again...

Air380

Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 am

You are not speaking from experience at all, or maybe your experience is limited to one country. I have driven at least 5 US registered vehicles in the EU including having 2 cars shipped from the USA there (most recently yesterday I put a 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD in the container port from Chicago-->Norfolk-->Bremerhaven-->Gdynia-->Warsaw.

On the contrary, I am speaking from experience. Yes, we brought a car over to Germany, from container port Charleston, SC to Bremerhaven, Germany. Maybe the rules are now different, it has been a little while ago, or maybe the rules are easier in Poland! I resent that you just assume that I do not speak from experience.

ACDC8

Wed May 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 37):
I thought the Europlates where one of the most boring ones around!

They are, but they seem to look just right on a VW or other European car ...  Big grin

sovietjet

Wed May 16, 2007 4:40 pm

Interesting topic, I was planning on shipping my WRX to Bulgaria either this summer or next summer but never really investigated the costs.

Oh and I wouldn't have to worry about tickets....my best friend's dad is a traffic officer  Smile.

Braybuddy

Wed May 16, 2007 6:52 pm

What's the reason for wanting to drive his own car in Europe? It seems a completely pointless exercise and an awful lot more trouble than it's worth.

I can't think of one reason to ship my car abroad for a 2.5 month trip. Driving over by ferry is another matter, but shipping it over the Atlantic? Crazy.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed May 16, 2007 9:05 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 41):
Driving over by ferry is another matter

Do any of the transatlantic cruises accept cars?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ACDC8

Thu May 17, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 42):
Do any of the transatlantic cruises accept cars?

I don't know, but the Maybach was shipped over with the QE2(?) for it's premiere ...  Big grin

AA787823
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 41):
What's the reason for wanting to drive his own car in Europe?

He really likes the car, plus he thinks he will be able to pick up more girls driving around in his Vette then a typical European car.

The car shipped Monday on a truck to the east coast, then on from there. He paid roughly $7500 for the round trip.
I think he may have trouble driving around without plates on his car. He still has the California temp tags. (A tiny stiker in the lower right hand corner of the windsheild).

SWISSER

Sat May 19, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 39):
They are, but they seem to look just right on a VW or other European car ...

You might be right, if you look at the front end of the newest generation of VW and Audi's, it seems like the styling is done to accomodate a plate.
a USA style plate on the other hand would actually ruin the complete front end...

[Edited 2007-05-19 02:55:33]

Bongodog1964

Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 44):
What's the reason for wanting to drive his own car in Europe?

He really likes the car, plus he thinks he will be able to pick up more girls driving around in his Vette then a typical European car.

The car shipped Monday on a truck to the east coast, then on from there. He paid roughly $7500 for the round trip.
I think he may have trouble driving around without plates on his car. He still has the California temp tags. (A tiny stiker in the lower right hand corner of the windsheild).

As he only bought it this week, wouldn't it have been far easier to buy one here in Europe ?. Then it would have been waiting for him on arrival. With regard to no plates on the car he might get away with it in some monor European countries, but it wouldn't be worth even trying for most of them.

This really is a true story isn't it ?