edelag

I Just Saw Spider Man 3, And I Clapped At The End.

Sun May 06, 2007 2:21 pm

I just got back home from seeing Spider Man 3 with a couple of friends of mine. Not the best out of the 3 but this one definitely takes second place. A bit long for an action type of movie but its time well worth. In my opinion the best out of the 3 is the first one, then the third one, and finally the second one. I am not a movie critic but I can say that this movie is worth the money. Let’s just see whether the director of the movie chooses either The Hobbit, or Spider Man 4. Frankly, I enjoy both movie series.

Saludos,
Eugenio de la Garza
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

iamcanadian

RE: I Just Saw Spider Man 3, And I Clapped At The End.

Sun May 06, 2007 2:44 pm

Are you kidding me? The only reason I moderately enjoyed this movie was because of the comic relief to distract me from the lack of plot and drawn-out storyline, and the blatantly obvious cheesiness of the emotions. And just when I thought things couldn't get any "worse" in terms of unrequired content, the director decides to display an American flag flapping in the wind, filling the entire movie screen, and have a slow-motion clip of Spiderman heroically running in front of it.

*groan*

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape, or form, anti-American. I just felt this was over-the-top, cheezy American patriotism that served no purpose and gave no added value to the movie within the context.

Quoting Edelag (Thread starter):
Let’s just see whether the director of the movie chooses [...] Spider Man 4.

I'm going to put my money on NOT making Spiderman 4. All the loose ends were tied up at the end of this movie!

1.) We found out what *really* happened when Ben Parker got murdered.
2.) Peter reconciles with the killer.
3.) Peter becomes friends with Harry again! Oh wait...he's dead now.  sarcastic 
4.) Wow, Mary Jane is NEVER going to want to get back with Peter, now that he's become an egotistical prick! Oh...they're united in Harry's death? They LOVE eachother again? But did MJ even find out *why* Peter was being a pain in the ass? Oh well, who cares?  sarcastic 

I really didn't like how Venom was only in the movie for about 30 minutes, and how they didn't even focus/develop one villain the entire movie. Sure, Sandman was Ben's killer, but all I saw him as was a genetically modified jailbird...none of the villains really held any real *hate* for Peter/Spidey.

Meh. I just hope they don't go and *completely* ruin the Spiderman series by making a fourth installment.
Shut up and calculate.

captaink

RE: I Just Saw Spider Man 3, And I Clapped At The

Sun May 06, 2007 2:59 pm

Didn't like it, didn't like it, didn't like it.

Ok, there were moments when I was like, "WOW that is cool." But then many were the moments when I said to myself, "oh how corny can it get?" (like that flag thing IAMCANADIAN mentioned, or the cheezy screams of the delight from the people of NY...) I actually was telling my friend during that movie, I think it is becuase I am getting older.

It could have ended, when Harry died, or even when Spidey gave the 'heartfelt' speech, at which point people started clapping (whats' with the clapping anyhow). But it still dragged on even more. UUURGGH.

I was really looking forward to it but i was dissappointed.

P.S. Just love the action between the 'goodies' and the baddies'

[Edited 2007-05-06 08:02:54]
There is something special about planes....

Springbok747

Sun May 06, 2007 4:01 pm

Haven't seen it, and I won't bother spending 10 bucks to see it. I'll probably rip the DVD when it comes out.
אני תומך בישראל

CaptainJon

Sun May 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Agreed. I think it was an awful waste of time, and glad I can choose Child ticket on the ticket kiosk  Smile.

bill142

Sun May 06, 2007 6:15 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 3):
Haven't seen it, and I won't bother spending 10 bucks to see it. I'll probably rip the DVD when it comes out.

I've seen it, and that's a good idea.

Thom@s

Sun May 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 1):
the director decides to display an American flag flapping in the wind, filling the entire movie screen, and have a slow-motion clip of Spiderman heroically running in front of it.

I must say that alone puts me off seing the film..

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

captaink

Mon May 07, 2007 1:55 am

Not that our opinions really matter. Spidey is destroying the box office, shattering records for both first day and weekend ticket sales..

KLM685

Mon May 07, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 6):

I'll have to agree with you. It's those kinds of things in which you ask yourself whether the director thought about who was going to watch his fim. The whole world or only in the US? I don't disrespect the US at all but just seems that it goes a bit over the top.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 7):
Not that our opinions really matter. Spidey is destroying the box office, shattering records for both first day and weekend ticket sales..

I know...but people don't know that the movie is good or bad before watching it (sometimes...). It's the expectation they create that sets the box office record.
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

iamcanadian

Mon May 07, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 7):
Spidey is destroying the box office, shattering records for both first day and weekend ticket sales..

I was just about to mention something about this, but I think KLM685 put it the way I was going to say it...

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 8):
It's the expectation they create that sets the box office record.

checkmark 

If the third installment of The Lord Of The Rings came out, and disappointed most people who saw it, don't you think it would have as many opening day/weekend sales as it had? It's the duration of high ticket sales that indicates how sucessful a movie really is.
Shut up and calculate.

captaink

Mon May 07, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 9):

If the third installment of The Lord Of The Rings came out, and disappointed most people who saw it, don't you think it would have as many opening day/weekend sales as it had? It's the duration of high ticket sales that indicates how sucessful a movie really is.

Yeah That is all true. But Spiderman, just because of its history will continue to have high sales. The is is the 3rd installment, the first 2 were very successful, I don't expect a difference in this one. I am sure many people heard the reports before going to see it. A few of my friends saw it on midnight thursday, and they didn't like it, but guess I still went to see because it was Spiderman. And I am sure many people will thinking like that.

Newark777

Mon May 07, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 8):
It's the expectation they create that sets the box office record.

It'll be interesting to see how word of mouth affects next weekends sales, though. I personally will be waiting until it comes out on DVD, as I have heard less than spectacular reviews from friends.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

senorcarnival

Mon May 07, 2007 2:27 am

I thought it was unnecessarily long and had some pretty lame dramatic scenes like when Peter breaks down and starts sobbing on that bridge with MJ. I always thought Tobey Maguire was a better actor than that.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

rineanna

Mon May 07, 2007 2:32 am

It definitely wasn't the best out of the three.

One part which really ticked me off about the film was how cheesy the dialogue was at times. I've never heard a whole cinema sigh in unison before until the dialogue between Peter and the Sandman at the end and Peter says, as cheesy and as clichéd as anything I'd ever heard before.......

"I FORGIVE YOU!"

I swear to God, the whole cinema just let out a united groan!! The minute the film came to a finish, there was a scurry to the exits which can never be a good sign! But, hey, the makers had our €9 already in the bag so what did they care!

It was allright, but I would've thought it to be better.

QANTASforever

Mon May 07, 2007 2:42 am

Why the hell did an alien virus turn Peter Parker into an emo?

In fact, during one scene where Mary-Jane asks "Who are you?" - someone did actually exclaim "A ******* emo" - much to the amusement of everyone in the theatre. During their break up scene in central park, people were actually laughing.

This was a dog's breakfast of a movie.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

iamcanadian

Mon May 07, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 14):

Were you in the same theatre as I was?!  Wow!

Wink
Shut up and calculate.

fumanchewd

Mon May 07, 2007 4:36 am

Yeah, I grimmaced at the flag thing too.

The movie was cheesy, but hey you idiots, the movie is for kids!

Just take a look at all of the cheesy toys and merchandise in the stores. They know their demographic.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

rineanna

Mon May 07, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 16):
the movie is for kids!

Oh I forgot. How idiotic of me.

captaink

Mon May 07, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 17):

Oh I forgot. How idiotic of me.

Yeah I missed that too.. LOL Big grin

fumanchewd

Mon May 07, 2007 5:17 am

Sorry, I should have put a smiley on that idiot comment. It was a tounge in cheek comment.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

mhodgson

Mon May 07, 2007 5:22 am

Looks like we have 3 more sequels to come!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6630521.stm
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Newark777

Mon May 07, 2007 5:24 am

There would be "as many as we can make good stories for", he pledged.

aka, "We'll make them as long as we can pull in these crazy profits."

Harry

KLM685

Mon May 07, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 11):
It'll be interesting to see how word of mouth affects next weekends sales, though.

It will probably affect it to minimun levels as people just need to go and see it for themselves. So as bad as the movie is people will still go to see it. Then again, kids don't mind whether it's a good or a bad movie. At the end parents will still have to go and see their kids heroe  Wink

Newark777

Mon May 07, 2007 7:56 am

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 22):
It will probably affect it to minimun levels as people just need to go and see it for themselves. So as bad as the movie is people will still go to see it. Then again, kids don't mind whether it's a good or a bad movie. At the end parents will still have to go and see their kids heroe

I agree that with a movie this big any bad word of mouth isn't going to hurt it that much.

Harry

n229nw

RE: I Just Saw Spider Man 3, And I Clapped At The

Mon May 07, 2007 7:58 am

Rip the DVD? Even that seems like a waste of time.

I'll see it if it is the only thing being shown on a transcon flight and I'm too brain-dead to read or work instead. Even then I might poke my eyes out instead of watching it...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

dl021

Mon May 07, 2007 9:23 am

Stan Lee is already at the right hand of God.....explaining why he never gave enough credit to Ditka, Starlin, Kirby or several others...but that's another story....Lee is sitting there having the discussion pre-assumption of room temperature....

Sam Raimi will sit at the right hand of Stan Lee.....his ability to bring comic book figures to life while using Bruce Campbell in effective cameos is only part of it.... and participate in that discussion since he's so polite and good natured..

Bruce Campbell will be on the television of the bar being second banana in a movie and starring in the commercial before the late night movie comes on in which he stars while the conversation is going on....with the beers being served by Ted Raimi.....

Spiderman 3 was a great movie that needed another 30 minutes to finish fleshing out Venom....and I think that Spiderman 4 needs to get under development soon so they can use Dr. Conners as the Lizard along with Venom again and spend another 2.5 hours taking us through the life of Peter Parker...Your Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman.....

'Nuff Said!
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

WestJetForLife

Mon May 07, 2007 1:58 pm

My friends and I were joking all through the movie.

We were hoping Mary Jane would FINALLY bite the bullet in the black spider web of doom, but no dice. Also, when Mary Jane asked Peter "who he was", much like above, I shouted "A LAME-ASS EMO KID!"

Man, the popcorn buckets were flying in the theater at the end. We were all pissed (every single patron) that MJ and Peter got back together. I think one even dented the screen, they were so angry at it.

All in all, poor movie (and the villain looked kind of like Huey Lewis on steroids).

Nik
I need a drink.

UnknownUser

Mon May 07, 2007 2:08 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 6):

If some 'cheesy scene' of the American flag puts you off, that's frankly too bad. If it weren't for us, you would not have any movies, period.

Quoting WestJetForLife (Reply 26):
I shouted "A LAME-ASS EMO KID!"

Quoting WestJetForLife (Reply 26):
My friends and I were joking all through the movie.

Glad to see your parents raised you to be mature person that is considerate of OTHERS who are in the theater.  sarcastic 

Seriously, grow up.
Die Skybus!!! You need to die for the good of the industry!

iamcanadian

Mon May 07, 2007 2:17 pm

Quoting UnknownUser (Reply 27):
If it weren't for us, you would not have any movies, period.

Hey, guess what? The first feature film ever made was in Australia! And another newsflash: the largest film industry in the world is the Indian industry!

Seriously, grow up.

Look, if the theatre they were in was ANYTHING like mine (ie. filled with people in their teens to mid-20's), then they were not the only ones acting this way. And by the time halfway through the movie passed, people really weren't focusing on the movie, rather, they were laughing at how bad the movie was. Have you even SEEN the movie?

I don't condone throwing popcorn buckets at the screen, but their behaviour was nothing out of the ordinary for this particular film.

Seriously, stop being so arrogant.
Shut up and calculate.

Boston92

Mon May 07, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 1):

Quoting Captaink (Reply 2):

Quoting CaptainJon (Reply 4):

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 12):

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 13):

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 14):

Agree with all. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

This movie was not even needed. It was POINTLESS. Spider Man 2 pretty much wrapped everything up. Hopefully 28 weeks later will be better this weekend.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

Thom@s

Tue May 08, 2007 12:47 am

If it weren't for us, you would not have any movies, period.

Yeah, you forgot the "If it wasn't for us you'd all be speaking German..."  Yeah sure

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

airfoilsguy

Tue May 08, 2007 3:22 am

Why do people clap at movies. The people you are applauding arn't there to hear it.  eyebrow 
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Thom@s

Tue May 08, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 31):
Why do people clap at movies. The people you are applauding arn't there to hear it.

Just like passengers applauding a pilots landing...  Wink

Thom@s

captaink

Tue May 08, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 32):
Just like passengers applauding a pilots landing... Wink

I am not a fan of the clapping after a movie. But I have to admit  Sad after a long flight, and a great landing, the passengers start clapping, and I kinda want to as well, one becuase i finally got where needed to go, safely and the flight was very pleasant.

senorcarnival

Tue May 08, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 33):
after a long flight, and a great landing, the passengers start clapping, and I kinda want to as well, one becuase i finally got where needed to go, safely and the flight was very pleasant.

It's their job to get you there safely, that doesn't deserve a round of applause, regardless of how great the landing was...i don't think many of us (unless you're a stage actor or musician) gets applauded for doing our job everyday.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

airfoilsguy

Tue May 08, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 32):
Just like passengers applauding a pilots landing...

Quoting Captaink (Reply 33):
I am not a fan of the clapping after a movie. But I have to admit after a long flight, and a great landing, the passengers start clapping, and I kinda want to as well, one becuase i finally got where needed to go, safely and the flight was very pleasant.

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 34):
It's their job to get you there safely, that doesn't deserve a round of applause, regardless of how great the landing was...i don't think many of us (unless you're a stage actor or musician) gets applauded for doing our job everyday.

Your missing the point. If you clap in a plane the pilots can hear it and feel appreciated. If you clap in a movie theater no one associated with the production of the movie is going the hear it.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Thom@s

Wed May 09, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 35):
If you clap in a plane the pilots can hear it and feel appreciated

The pilots won't hear the spontanious applause from the passengers, unless the passengers hold their applause until the pilots have taken off their headgear, and the door to the cockpit has been opened.
Don't these spontanious applauses occur at the moment the plane touches down? No way are the pilots gonna hear that..

Thom@s

KLM685

Wed May 09, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 36):
The pilots won't hear the spontanious applause from the passengers, unless the passengers hold their applause until the pilots have taken off their headgear, and the door to the cockpit has been opened.
Don't these spontanious applauses occur at the moment the plane touches down? No way are the pilots gonna hear that..

But maybe the FA's will tell them 10 minutes later  Wink

Thom@s

Wed May 09, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 37):
But maybe the FA's will tell them 10 minutes later

And maybe whoever is behind the spiderman movie read in a paper that the theatre audience applauded at the end of the film..  Wink

*Clap clap* "Phew, thank God that film is over.."

Thom@s

dl021

Wed May 09, 2007 5:07 am

Number one....no matter how sophisticated one affects to be by pishposhing the enthusiasm of others applause is always heard one way or another....whether its the FA telling the cockpit crew or the reviewers/movie theater operators reporting it up their lines.

Number two...how many of you wanna-be critics here bitching about this movie actually know the difference between Rocket Racer and the Scorpion (bonus points to the person who can tell me who Mac Gargan became after that) (looking it up on Wiki gets you karmic demerits)....

Number three...the movie was great.....reviewers don't feel like they get paid to be cheerleaders and the psuedo-literate internet reviewers who purport to be comic book fans who said that the movie was great but not great (see AICN) are generally having their heads up their asses after they've read their name on someone elses website or worse in print somewhere more than two or three times and become afflicted with the idea that sequels must be letdowns.....

the only way this movie was a let down was that it needed 20 more minutes to flesh some stuff out...

I'm waiting for the next movie....I'll lay odds it'll have Dr.Connors stepping on Venoms toes somehow while reviewing whether the goop can help his regeneration research and turning into .... well, you figure it out....

This was a great movie.

777-200

Wed May 09, 2007 5:18 am

I didn't think it was that good at all. Maybe just because it was too long..!
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

Newark777

Wed May 09, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 39):

the only way this movie was a let down was that it needed 20 more minutes to flesh some stuff out...

Or if you aren't a huge comic book fan.  Wink

Harry

jamesbaldwyn

Wed May 09, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting Edelag (Thread starter):
A bit long for an action type of movie

A bit!!!

It was a very long film!! But I enjoyed it and well worth my underage ticket  Smile

redngold

Wed May 09, 2007 5:46 am

I liked the movie - even in the middle of the night (I went to a midnight show on opening "day.")

For those of you who are criticizing the American flag shot - Marvel comics has always proudly waved the American flag, as has DC comics. It's keeping with the tradition. If you can't handle that, then sure, don't go see the movie. You'll be one of the few.

One of the things I read about in the previews was a criticism of the scenes described as "emo" by previous posters. I think that was important. Each movie has shown a different part of Peter Parker's character. Each movie has had a musical sequence showing that facet. In the first movie it was Peter learning how to use his powers as Spider-man. In the second movie, it was Peter feeling "normal" and not having the weight of Spider-man on his shoulders. So in the third movie, the sequence is Peter as super-ego. In the context of the other two movies, the protracted scene fits.

I do have to say I felt like the whole "Sandman" bit was anticlimactic. What is the guy going to do now? Is he still made of sand or did the explosions force the sand out of his body? Lots of unanswered questions there. Venom was shorted both in development and action.

I did think that Mary Jane's character development was decent. She played a modern woman with her own interests and own feelings. She was not a 1950's smiling lady always there for her man. Imagine if you were engaged to a superpowered person - how would you feel if you were struggling and your mate thought everything was fine?
Up, up and away!

dl021

Wed May 09, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 41):
Or if you aren't a huge comic book fan.

dude.... I swear that guy is modeled after the guy who ran Titan books and comics in Tucker back in the early 80s.

Kunoichi

Wed May 09, 2007 9:50 am

the movie is for kids!

Correction: Kids AND geeks! Big grin

Quoting Redngold (Reply 43):
Reply 43

And chicks, apparently... Big grin

... it's probably good that I'm a chick geek then...  Yeah sure I'll definitely go see it, despite the claimed cheesyness- but only because I get in free.  Silly
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

MDorBust

Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 43):
So in the third movie, the sequence is Peter as super-ego. In the context of the other two movies, the protracted scene fits.

It fits even more when you consider the effect that Venom was having on Parker and emphasizing certain aspects of his personality.

But then again, apparently most posters were too busy joking and throwing popcorn buckets at the screen to notice that part.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Newark777

Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 44):
dude.... I swear that guy is modeled after the guy who ran Titan books and comics in Tucker back in the early 80s.

Haha, we had a guy just like him back in high school, except he was more into Star Wars than comics.

Harry

tsaord

Wed May 09, 2007 11:15 am

Tobey showed he isn't that good of an actor to me with this film. I do not remember park being such a geeky cry baby. I did not like this film.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

dl021

Wed May 09, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 47):
Haha, we had a guy just like him back in high school, except he was more into Star Wars than comics.

Holy crap.....I've just read that the man who refuses to apologize for Jar Jar Binks has called Spidey 3 "silly"....now I know it's a great movie......biggest grosser in history, btw....for opening weekend....

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 48):
I do not remember park being such a geeky cry baby. I did not like this film.

yeah...he was definitely a geek...he got picked on and then had to keep taking it in order to preserve his secret identity.

Parker has always had soap opera in his life (no pun intended...points if you can tell me why that's possibly a pun) and has always been introspective and thoughtful.

He's also going to be the one who stops the Hulk....mark those words....