Yellowstone
Topic Author

Ridiculous Pepper Spray Regulation In MA

Mon May 07, 2007 9:58 am

In this week's Boston Phoenix (free weekly paper), I found this tidbit about Massachusetts' weapons control laws. There's been a series of rapes in the Medford/Somerville area (Boston suburbs), and naturally more women are interested in buying mace or pepper spray to defend themselves. Problem is, Massachusetts requires anyone who purchases pepper spray to have a Firearms Identification Card, which takes $25 and about 3 weeks to get. However, for about $20 dollars and a 3-5 day shipping weight, you can order bear repellent from an online hunting supply store and have it shipped to MA without restrictions. The active ingredient in bear repellent - capsicum. The chemical in hot peppers. Yes, bear repellent is the same as self-defense pepper spray, but only one of them requires a permit. Apparently Massachusetts is more willing to let you defend yourself against bears than rapists.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

aloges

RE: Ridiculous Pepper Spray Regulation In MA

Mon May 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Thread starter):
Apparently Massachusetts is more willing to let you defend yourself against bears than rapists.

Have you ever heard of legal loopholes? This is one, your hasty conclusion notwithstanding.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

fr8mech

Tue May 08, 2007 1:20 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):
Have you ever heard of legal loopholes? This is one, your hasty conclusion notwithstanding.

So the question becomes; do you close the loophole, or allow someone the right to defend themselves without the encumberance of getting a Firearms Registration Card.

I wonder what else Boston considers a firearm?

[Edited 2007-05-07 18:20:50]
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

MDorBust

Tue May 08, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Thread starter):
Yes, bear repellent is the same as self-defense pepper spray, but only one of them requires a permit.

You might want to double check on that.

Bear repellant is pepper spray.

From the MA law: "A firearm identification card shall be valid for the purpose of purchasing and possessing chemical mace, pepper spray or other similarly propelled liquid, gas or powder designed to temporarily incapacitate."

I'd think that this pretty much covers it.

Got get a FID.

A vendor of Bear Repellant

http://www.safetygearhq.com/bearspray.htm

Quote:
ase use alternate shipping address if you live in New York or Massachusetts as we cannot ship pepper spray to those 2 states.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

airfoilsguy

Tue May 08, 2007 1:48 am

Two questions.

1. Are there a lot of bears in Boston?

2. Are we talking about the right to bear arms or arm bears?

rotfl 
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

alfa75

Tue May 08, 2007 10:37 am

So, are there going to be any State Cops waiting at trail heads on the AT frisking for bear spray?
The best things in life aren't things!

Yellowstone
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 3):
You might want to double check on that.

Shows what I get for trusting the paper. I think their point was that you can get bear repellent shipped to you without having your FID checked, since MA probably won't be opening packages to check for pepper spray.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.