dragon-wings

Computer Help: What Is A Raid Controller?

Wed May 09, 2007 6:22 am

A few days ago I disconnected everything from the back of my computer so I clean all the dust out that built up on the inside of the tower. Since I did this everytime I turn on the computer the found new hardware wizard comes up saying it found new hardware, a RAID controller. What is a RAID controller and how do I stop this messege from coming up everytime I turn on the computer?

PS: I didn't install any new hardware before or after I duested out the inside of the computer tower
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

jamesbaldwyn

RE: Computer Help: What Is A Raid Controller?

Wed May 09, 2007 6:33 am

ba757

Wed May 09, 2007 6:38 am

Did you knock or undo any of the cables inside the tower?

Adam

WSOY

Wed May 09, 2007 6:39 am

You do not need to worry or bother about it. If you have just one drive, the RAID has no function. Just keep on hitting Enter and check "don't want to install this device no more" at one point. You'll then notice an exclamation mark in the Device Manager when you check it out, but that does not matter.
"Nukkuessa tulee nälkä" (Nipsu)

dragon-wings

Wed May 09, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 2):
Did you knock or undo any of the cables inside the tower?

I don't think I did. I used a can of compressed air and just blew all the dust out.

Quoting WSOY (Reply 3):
You do not need to worry or bother about it. If you have just one drive,

Actually I have 2 drives a C and D drive. I use the D drive for not but Microsoft Flight simulator stuff. Everything else goes on the C drive.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

aloges

Wed May 09, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting WSOY (Reply 3):
You do not need to worry or bother about it. If you have just one drive, the RAID has no function. Just keep on hitting Enter and check "don't want to install this device no more" at one point. You'll then notice an exclamation mark in the Device Manager when you check it out, but that does not matter.

checkmark  Easiest solution, it'd just be one more entry in your immaterial diary of funny things PCs and Windows set you up with.

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 4):
Actually I have 2 drives a C and D drive. I use the D drive for not but Microsoft Flight simulator stuff. Everything else goes on the C drive.

It's a bit tricky, this. The RAID controller controls (gee...  Silly ) the physical devices called hard disk drives, but the things Windows calls separate hard disk drives are often mere partitions on one physical device.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

RichPhitzwell

Wed May 09, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting WSOY (Reply 3):
RAID has no

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
Easiest solution, it'd just be one more entry in your immaterial diary of funny things PCs and Windows set you up with.

Yes and no...its possible to have a single drive with two partitions acting as a raid config,...but for this conversation it sounds as though you are correct.
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

aloges

Wed May 09, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 6):
its possible to have a single drive with two partitions acting as a raid config

Now that I think of it, I can imagine it. But would you need an on-board controller (which seems to be what he's got) for that?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

RichPhitzwell

Wed May 09, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 7):
Now that I think of it, I can imagine it. But would you need an on-board controller (which seems to be what he's got) for that?

The answer is maybe. Its strictly a software issue at that point, but I dont believe OS's offer this option out right therefore a card is used just to initiate said raid. With the cost of HDD's so low, this technique is almost dead (if it was ever alive to begin with).

He did say he had two HDD's but it implies by his statement that they were never setup as any type of raid. Of course, he may not know and therefore he is implying incorrectly.

If I was him and lazy, I would ultimately unplug one hdd and then boot up. if it does boot up and still has both a c and d hdd drive, he had raid. If it doesn't boot up, I would plug back in, unplug the other and repeat. Yes there are better ways, but this is a simple way.

Of course if he doesn't have anything critical, well Jesus saves often to DVD's. Why bother with the hassle of raid unless its performance your after....

My two cents
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid