cba

Cheap Beers: Best and Worst

Fri May 11, 2007 8:36 pm

Alright, when concerning cheap beer, and I'm not talking Bud/Miller, which ones are your favorites and least favorites?

In the running, there's....

Keystone
Natty
The Beast
High Life
Busch
Lone Star (dunno if available outside of TX)
Schlitz

I'm sure I forgot a few, so please feel free to add...

Although all of these beers are shit, there are times when they're appropriate...

For the favorite, I'm going to go with Keystone simply because it has the least taste. If chilled properly, it's like drinking carbonated water. High Life isn't bad either. The least favorites have got to be Natty and the Beast...

And for the UK version, I'm going to go with Carling... can't stand the stuff, especially when you can get Heineken, Amstel, Grolsch, Carlsberg, Kronenbourg and other not bad lagers for a few extra p. Not really a huge Stella fan either.

LHMark

Fri May 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Genesee Beer. Not Genny Light. Not Genny Cream Ale. Just good old-fashioned subpremium Genesee Beer
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

UK_Dispatcher

Fri May 11, 2007 8:43 pm

From my drinking times in the UK:

Best cheap beer: Hofmeister
Worst cheap beer: Skol

Trivia: The cheapest pub in Britain is Hogan's, Victoria Road, Darlington, County Durham (immediately outside the railway station - Victoria Road exit)

KaiGywer
Crew

RE: Cheap Beers: Best And Worst

Fri May 11, 2007 9:11 pm

Cheap and good:

Hauenstein. $12.99 for a 24 pack with returnable bottles.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

EasternSon

Fri May 11, 2007 10:31 pm

Dude, you haven't lived until you've had Natty Light out of a bottle.

If I'm feeling squirrely, I'll grab a sixer of Pabst in a bottle as well.

If friends from high school are around, be sure we're swilling Schmidtty tall boys with a picture of a bass or a buck on the label.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

Jaws707

Fri May 11, 2007 10:45 pm

A few more cheap beers I wanted to point out in the terrible category include Red Dog, Ice House, and Old Style

melpax

Fri May 11, 2007 10:54 pm

For Oz, worst cheap beer would be Melbourne Bitter. Horrible stuff. Also Fosters (they're both from the same brewer). West End from Adelaide is horrid as well.

Best cheap beer would be Toohey's dry, nice & smooth, and VB (Victoria Bitter)
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri May 11, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting Jaws707 (Reply 5):
Red Dog

Don't  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

cba

Fri May 11, 2007 11:16 pm

Red Dog,

Aww, that stuff is just rancid!

Have you guys ever had the Natty Lite energy drink called Natty Up? It's like a Natty mixed with a redbull, absolutely disgusting.

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri May 11, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting Cba (Reply 8):
It's like a Natty mixed with a redbull, absolutely disgusting.

vomit 

Newark777

Fri May 11, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 4):
Dude, you haven't lived until you've had Natty Light out of a bottle.

Haha, I almost died the first time I saw that. Pretty funny stuff.

For the worst, my choice is Beast Ice. Shit's nasty, especially when it's warm.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

CO7e7

Fri May 11, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting Cba (Thread starter):
Keystone
Natty

Both are terrible!

ren41

Sat May 12, 2007 12:01 am

Over the past few months I've learned to appreciate the wonder that is Natty Ice. There's nothing like that stong liquor-like aftertaste that makes you cringe after each sip. It's a great beer for Beirut(or Beer Pong), but not for drinking straight up.

Keystone is the worst though. How good can a watered-down version of the already watered-down Coors Light be?

It's sad that after 1 year of college, I now consider Bud Light a premium beer.

R41

Sabena332

Sat May 12, 2007 12:01 am

Best cheap beers in Germany: Oettinger Pils, the case with twenty 0.5 liter bottles comes for 5.00 EUR usually, when it is on special offer it only cost 4.60 EUR. My second favourite cheap beer is Paderborner Pils, the case with twenty 0.5 liter bottles cost usually 4.80 EUR. Both beers taste pretty good IMO.

Worst cheap beers in Germany: All the stuff from Lidl and Plus which comes in plastic bottles, simply disgusting!  yuck 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

stlgph

Sat May 12, 2007 12:05 am

you're nuts if you think cheap beer is good beer.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

cba

Sat May 12, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Ren41 (Reply 12):
It's a great beer for Beirut(or Beer Pong), but not for drinking straight up.

That's about the only reasonable use for any of the cheap American beers mentioned thus far. There's nothing like that nasty Natty aftertaste that makes you cringe after someone takes down one of your cups...

Quoting Ren41 (Reply 12):
It's sad that after 1 year of college, I now consider Bud Light a premium beer.

checkmark 

LOL, same thing happened to me man! It gets better when you turn 21 though. You realize that for an extra dollar you can get a much better beer on tap at most bars. Leave the Keystone and Natty for the beer pong/Beirut table!

ltbewr

Sat May 12, 2007 12:46 am

Life is too short for cheap beer. Here in New Jersey, one can get good sale prices for good beer including Coors, Bud, Miller and the like, especially in 12, 24 and 30 packs of cans. I have tried some of the 'cheap' beers over the years, but my tastes got better over the years.

cba

Sat May 12, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 16):
Here in New Jersey, one can get good sale prices for good beer including Coors, Bud, Miller and the like, especially in 12, 24 and 30 packs of cans. I have tried some of the 'cheap' beers over the years, but my tastes got better over the years.

Ahh, when I was in Texas, we didn't have 30 packs of Bud/Miller. The options were either a 24 case of bud for around $18, or 30 'stones for $12. If I'm buying for myself or a few buddies, I'd definately go with the bud (or better, 20 long necks for the same price), but when you're buying in volume for parties, saving $6 a case goes a long way.

On a slightly unrelated topic, there was an amazing deal at a Whole Foods in Houston before I left. You could get a 6 pack of any of their select beers (most of these are microbrews) for around $8. It's fantastic because you can essentially create your own 6-pack, try 6 different beers in 1 pack.

And then I moved to England, and it's turned me into an ale man!

DfwRevolution

Sat May 12, 2007 2:15 am

I haven't seen it outside Texas, although Shiner Bock is available just about anywhere now.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 14):
you're nuts if you think cheap beer is good beer.

That's because you've never had Lone Star

Life is too short for cheap beer

Except when you're in college

Newark777

Sat May 12, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 18):

checkmark 

And since most of the beer I drink is cheap, everything else will taste better in comparison.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

N1120A

Sat May 12, 2007 2:31 am

Natty

For those A.net members who haven't gone to high school in US Suburbia, Natty stands for Natural, Natural Light and Natural Ice

High Life

A friend of mine at the DA's office made a funny little joke about High Life, calling it Low Life.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

cba

Sat May 12, 2007 2:54 am

I haven't seen it outside Texas, although Shiner Bock is available just about anywhere now.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the stuff outside of Texas. Although not my favorite beer, it's not a bad brew at all, especially considering that it's not much more expensive than Bud or Miller. DFWRevolution, if you ever go to Houston, hit up a bar called Brian O'Neills on a Wednesday, $2 Shiner refills and half-priced burgers, not a dinky glass either.

Life is too short for cheap beer

checkmark 

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):

A friend of mine at the DA's office made a funny little joke about High Life, calling it Low Life.

Haha, my buddies and I always say, "slumming with the high life!"

IAH777

Sat May 12, 2007 3:03 am

The best thing about dirt cheap beer is you can pound 'em enough to get you through those long flights. Or the short ones. Or the ride to the airport.

Signed,
Wade Boggs

EasternSon

Sat May 12, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
High Life, calling it Low Life

Quoting Cba (Reply 21):
"slumming with the high life!"

C'mon fellas. It says right on the label that it's "The Champagne of Beers."

It has to be classy, right?
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

copaair737

Sat May 12, 2007 4:02 am

High Life is the best cheap beer around. Hands down.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

WellHung

Sat May 12, 2007 4:12 am

WellHung

Sat May 12, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 22):
The best thing about dirt cheap beer is you can pound 'em enough to get you through those long flights. Or the short ones. Or the ride to the airport.

Signed,
Wade Boggs

But not the ride home.

Signed,
Josh Hancock

Sad

srbmod

Sat May 12, 2007 7:37 am

About the cheapest I'll go on a six pack of beer is $5.99. Most of the beers I drink run between $6.99-$7.99 a six pack.

There have been times in the past when I've drank cheap beers. Years back when I worked at AirTran, on some nights, we used to all throw in a few bucks and sent the first guy who was getting off of work to the store to pick up a couple of 12s of whatever was cheapest (usually Natty Light). There were some Saturdays nights when some of the folks in our group that didn't have a Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday line would sit in the parking lot sipping on some Old School beers like Schaffers and Hamm's. By the time you started on your third one, the taste didn't matter anymore.

My buddies always liked it when I brought beer over because it meant that they'd have good beer for a change instead of Bud Light, Miller Lite, or Natty Light.

LOT767-300ER

Sat May 12, 2007 7:51 am

Ahh yes.

So we all have forgotten about the beer of the bums, the worst liquid ever created by mankind!

I dont touch anything below a Yuengling/Heineken/MGD (European version)

copaair737

Sat May 12, 2007 8:58 am

What about Olde English 800?
I drink 40s of that all the time

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

allstarflyer

Sat May 12, 2007 9:56 pm

Best, cheapest beer?

The one that isn't bought  Wink .

Need to drown your sorrows? Flush your pink slip/Dear John letter/tax statement/collection notice down the tube and drink something else. Hey, can't kill all your brain cells.

-R
Living the American Dream

miamiair

Sat May 12, 2007 9:58 pm

The absolute worst:

Meisterbrau...

So foul it would stop up the kidneys in a lab rat.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Duff44

Sun May 13, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 27):
About the cheapest I'll go on a six pack of beer is $5.99. Most of the beers I drink run between $6.99-$7.99 a six pack.

I feel the same way, sticking to mostly Killians Irish Red and Sam Adams Light.

No issues drinking Bud Light, Coors Light or something that level at a party though.

I prefer glass bottles though... cans and plastic bottles just turn me off

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 30):
Need to drown your sorrows? Flush your pink slip/Dear John letter/tax statement/collection notice down the tube and drink something else. Hey, can't kill all your brain cells.

Pills work too... Big grin
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

checkraiser

Sun May 13, 2007 9:50 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 24):
High Life is the best cheap beer around. Hands down.

But it isn't a cheap beer.

Best cheap beer - Pabst Blue Ribbon - if you haven't had a PBR lately you should try one.

Honorable mention goes to Schlitz and Special Export.

Too many contenders for worst but I'll go with Old Style, Lone Star, and Stroh's
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

P3Orion

Sun May 13, 2007 10:05 am

Life is too short for cheap beer. Here in New Jersey, one can get good sale prices for good beer including Coors, Bud, Miller and the like, especially in 12, 24 and 30 packs of cans. I have tried some of the 'cheap' beers over the years, but my tastes got better over the years.
Coors, Bud, Miller are good beers? Um, OK. Anyway, Iron City is "quality" cheap beer. Old German and Goebel are pretty raunchy.

[Edited 2007-05-13 03:17:18]
I will have a Manhattan.

bezoar

Sun May 13, 2007 10:14 am

The absolute worst I recall is one from the 70's called "Texas Pride." It was about as cheap as you could get, but had a horrible tast and left a scummy coating on the teeth....

Another bad one was Schlitz, even though it wasn't always the cheapest.

I recall 'Red, White and Blue' being fairly decent if it was cold enough.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

falstaff

Sun May 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 3):
Hauenstein. $12.99 for a 24 pack with returnable bottles.

Anything in good old returnable bottles is great.

Old Style

Drank and tome of it in college and drink it today, when I find it.

I drank an bunch of Sterling tonight. Pittsburgh Brewing Company makes it today. The original brewer, Evansviile (Indiana) Brewing Company closed in 1998.

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 33):
Special Export.

Great beer. In 1998 (still LaCrosse brewed) I was at a party and some guy asked what I was drinking, I said " Heileman's Special Export" He said " wow, I wish I could afford that fancy beer" It was $3.50 a six pack.

Falstaff was my favorite, but it has been gone since 4-26-05. Once 9,000,000 barrels a year, today gone.....

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 31):
The absolute worst:

Meisterbrau...

That is a good beer. Miller bought the brand in 1972. Miller Lite is Meister Brau Lite. It is no secret, it is part of the history of Miller.

One of the problems that gives cheap beer a bad name is that many times it is old and expired. Less than a year ago I was in Chicago and I ordered a Old MIlwaukee at a bar and it expired four year prior. Many times a lot of slow moving brands are old and they taste bad because of it. There is a store by my house that have three year old Schlitz. Even the best beers taste bad after about six months.

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 22):

Dirt Cheap Beer is a brand made by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company contracted for the Dirt Cheap chain in St. Louis. It is a good beer. It is the same as Iron City, PBC's flagship.

I haven't seen it outside Texas,

I have bought it in St. Louis, Missouri since 1994. The original Lone Star plant, in San Antonio, closed when Stroh bought Heileman in 1996. Today it is contracted through Miller. Pabst own the name.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 1):
Genesee Beer. Not Genny Light. Not Genny Cream Ale. Just good old-fashioned subpremium Genesee Beer

Genny is a great beer. I love it. I get a case or two when I go down to Toledo, Ohio. Have you ever had the 12 Horse Ale?

My favorite cheap beers today are Schlitz, Stroh, Iron City, Hamm's, Stag, Old Style, PBR, Cook's, IC Light, Utica Club, Ballantine Ale, Little Kings, Black Label, plus many more.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

gunsontheroof

Sun May 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 28):

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 29):

Both noble opponents in the drinking ring, but I'd consider each to be in the malt liquor category.

As for me:

Best: Rainier
Worst: Milwaukee's Best

That said, anyone who's up for a challenge should really get themselves a big can of this stuff called Camo Black Ice. Take my word for it: all-out assault on the senses (shudders)

MCOflyer

Sun May 13, 2007 2:55 pm

Corona for me.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Dougloid

Sun May 13, 2007 10:31 pm

I had a skinful of Tenpenny Ale in Nova Scotia back in 1977 and I think I'm still slightly smashed. I thought it was great stuff.
Do they still make/sell the stuff?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

MSYtristar

Sun May 13, 2007 10:50 pm

PBR is a guilty pleasure of mine. You can't beat an ice cold PBR fo $1 in a seedy dive bar in the Quarter. Life doesn't get a lot better.

rlwynn

Sun May 13, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 13):
Oettinger Pils

I am in America now and brought one bottle with me. I have a freind who is a self described beer genius and gave it to him telling him this was good beer in Germany. He drank it and went on to describe all about the beer and whatever and that is how a real quality beer should taste. Then I told him it was 29cents at the store(0.5l). It was pretty funny.
I can drive faster than you

JAGflyer

Sun May 13, 2007 11:56 pm

Colt-Fotey-Fyve! I tried it once, its not too bad.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

srbmod

Mon May 14, 2007 12:36 am

I thought I share something I saw at the East Atlanta Beer Festival yesterday. Get this, there were actually giving out samples of PBR (From what I heard is the Official Beer of East Atlanta) and Miller High Life. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I go to a beer festival, I tend to try beers I've never had before. If you go to a beer festival and are drinking what's essentially swill beer, you ought to be publicly flogged. You paid $25 to go this event and you're mostly drinking PBR.  no  Yes, I'm being a bit of a beer snob in that regards. Heck I was disappointed that one of my favorite local breweries didn't bring any other beers besides the two year round ones they currently sell.

checkraiser

Mon May 14, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 43):
You paid $25 to go this event and you're mostly drinking PBR.

I agree. That's a terrible deal. You could buy two 30 cubes for that.  drunk 
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

srbmod

Mon May 14, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 44):
I agree. That's a terrible deal. You could buy two 30 cubes for that.  drunk 

yuck 

The way I see it, going to a beer festival and drinking just the cheap beers they're giving out samples of would be like going to a nice steakhouse and ordering a hamburger. There's all sorts of awesome Belgian beers (along with some really good microbrews) being sampled at this event and you're drinking PBR.

P3Orion

Mon May 14, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 43):
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I go to a beer festival, I tend to try beers I've never had before. If you go to a beer festival and are drinking what's essentially swill beer, you ought to be publicly flogged.

I agree with you 100% But how many people do you know that think Budweiser, MGD or Coors Light are great tasting beer. It simply amazes me the love affair people have with those brands. I just don't get it?
I will have a Manhattan.

cba

Mon May 14, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 41):
I am in America now and brought one bottle with me. I have a freind who is a self described beer genius and gave it to him telling him this was good beer in Germany. He drank it and went on to describe all about the beer and whatever and that is how a real quality beer should taste. Then I told him it was 29cents at the store(0.5l). It was pretty funny.

ROFL! I bet he was slightly embarrassed afterward....

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 42):
Colt-Fotey-Fyve! I tried it once, its not too bad.

checkmark 

That stuff is pretty bad, but getting drunk for 1.50 is a pretty good deal!

FlyKev
Crew

Mon May 14, 2007 2:50 am

This is the most diabolical foul tasting stuff ever.
But it is dirt cheap.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

DTManiac

Mon May 14, 2007 3:00 am

Keystone

Really bad stuff. Only Keystone light is worse.

Busch

Bad!

Lone Star

I actually drank that a lot of that when I was in Texas. However, I had to struggle with the comments of my American friends.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 13):
My second favourite cheap beer is Paderborner Pils, the case with twenty 0.5 liter bottles cost usually 4.80 EUR. Both beers taste pretty good IMO.

Paderborner is just awesome. You cant get anything better for that kind of money.

Now that is some really good stuff. You can see that Shiner was founded by a Czech and a German  Wink

Has anyone had San Miguel from Spain yet? One can of that and I would have to puke on the floor immediately.
Gig 'em Aggies!!!