MDorBust
Topic Author

UN To Increase It's Lack Or Relevance?

Sat May 12, 2007 9:07 am

Quote:
The United Nations is due to decide whether Zimbabwe should lead one of its key bodies, despite objections from Western countries.
African nations have nominated Zimbabwe to head the Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD), a move which has met with widespread disapproval.

Some countries say Zimbabwe's high inflation, unemployment and rights record make it an unsuitable candidate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6645715.stm

Zimbabwe, yes that Zimbabwe, has been nominated to be the head of the Commission on Sustainable Development.

Isn't there some rule against using the words "Zimbabwe" and "Sustainable Development" in the same sentence, much less putting one in charge of the other?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Klaus

RE: UN To Increase It's Lack Or Relevance?

Sun May 13, 2007 8:23 pm

That's democracy for you. The jerk next door has as much a vote as you do.

Does that make tyranny any better? No, it doesn't. It just makes a better-developed civil society a must.

In this particular case China, the USA and others have lobbied hard to shoot down any meaningful progress, and it seems they've had some success so far. I must say I'm fully behind Europe protesting and boycotting the outcome.

Some formerly leading countries might want to be more discriminating about their bedfellows.  yuck