catholic2006

College!

Sun May 13, 2007 12:21 pm

This would be a lot more exciting if this were a site of musicians and stuff and you actually knew what I was about to say, but I'll say it anyways because it makes me happy. . .

I GOT INTO THE PEABODY CONSERVATORY!!!!!!

for a Bachelor of Music degree in Oboe performance!

~chris~
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

AC773

RE: College!

Sun May 13, 2007 12:24 pm

That's awesome!!!! Time to celebrate... champagne   champagne   champagne 

bigthumbsup 
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Newark777

Sun May 13, 2007 12:40 pm

Had to Google it to see what Peabody was, but it looks pretty distinguished. Congrats.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun May 13, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
Had to Google it to see what Peabody was, but it looks pretty distinguished. Congrats

It's probably like Embry-Riddle. It's prestigious within the aviation industry (okay, I know some will debate that and even curse my name for saying that), but only those within the aviation industry know what or where Embry-Riddle is.  wink 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

futurecaptain

Sun May 13, 2007 12:49 pm

Um, wow. I have no idea what you musicians are talking about, but if it's anything like American Pie Band Camp then good job.  Smile
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

TedTAce

Sun May 13, 2007 12:55 pm

Quote:
Hold on tight to your dream
When you see your ship go sailing
When you feel your heart is breaking
Hold tight to your dream.

Its a long time to be gone
Time just rolls on and on
When you need a shoulder to cry on
When you get so sick of trying
Just hold tight to your dream

Chorus:
When you get so down that you cant get up
And you want so much but youre all out of luck
When youre so downhearted and misunderstood
Just over & over & over you could

Accroches-toi a ton reve
Accroches-toi a ton reve
Quand tu vois ton bateau partir
Quand tu sents -- ton coeur se briser
Accroches-toi a ton reve.

Repeat chorus:

When you see the shadows falling
When you hear that cold wind calling
Hold on tight to your dream.

Oh, yeah
Yeah, hold on tight...
To your dream.
This space intentionally left blank

fxramper

Sun May 13, 2007 1:19 pm

What the hell is an oboe?  rotfl 

Kidding aside, congratulations.  yes 

strasserb

Sun May 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Had to google it to find out what "pea body conservation" is.

And this came up:

As well another one:

Congrats! You must really be happy!

bigthumbsup 
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

MCOflyer

Sun May 13, 2007 2:58 pm

Congrats, you must be really happy.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

jcs17

Sun May 13, 2007 4:12 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 3):
t's probably like Embry-Riddle. It's prestigious within the aviation industry (okay, I know some will debate that and even curse my name for saying that), but only those within the aviation industry know what or where Embry-Riddle is.

Well, that and only single-minded geeks go to those types of schools. If your personal life doesn't begin and end with some sort of musical instrument or aviation, find a real college with a good music/aviation program. In the end, you'll be happy you have a degree from a school with a true liberal arts background. The facts are that you probably won't be making music for the rest of your life. Get a degree from a real university.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Halcyon

Sun May 13, 2007 5:47 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 3):
(okay, I know some will debate that and even curse my name for saying that)

Curse you FlyDeltaJets87! Hang sorrow, Riddle hath killed mine love for life.

Being serious, good job C2006. Make sure that you know that you want that and can handle the single-mindedness of the life before you. Although I love aviation, I got burned by going to a school that over-specialized. I realized after I got there that opportunities to make my own life better by branching out and exploring-in both curricula and other opportunities-was not going to happen. It was a large mistake and has cost me.

Other than that, if you've researched the options, go for it and live your dream!  Smile

-Lucas

catholic2006

Mon May 14, 2007 12:32 am

Yeah, it's like impossible to get the job I want (symphony oboist) even in orchestras that don't play you a million bucks a concert like the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (my fave!), the Philadelphia Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Boston Symphony Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra, or Berlin Philharmonic (which last time I checked doesn't hire very many Americans regardless of how good they are even though I'm sure that changes. . .)

Well at least I can get away from freaking high school band stuff and play real orchestra music for 4-6 years (which currently I'm forced to listen to by CD only. . .)

~chris~

PS: I did get into the University of Wisconsin--Madison too for French education major (and not oboe performance because I only want to major in that if I got into a conservatory. . .otherwise it get difficult to get jobs (not impossible, but just waaay more difficult unless you have connections and everyone knows/likes you (easier to get from a conservatory)). And I think I'd be a good French teacher I feel (that's my other obsession in life), and I wanted to go waaaay away from PA cuz I hate it here (the only school I would apply to in PA is the Curtis Institute of Music which I would not be able to get into, lol). But my mom doesn't like the French thing too much and she said if I got into Juilliard or Peabody or any top conservatory that I'd have to go. So I want to do both, although music wins a little more in my dream, French in security even though I really wouldn't hate being a French teacher at all. No, it's not the same as playing chamber music or orch but I like that too.
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

N776AU

Mon May 14, 2007 12:47 am

I will be attending Gainesville State College majoring in Music Education, with hopes of transferring to the University of Georgia as soon as possible.
Careful, Doors Are Closing And Will Not Reopen. Please Wait For The Next Train

panam330

Mon May 14, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 10):
It was a large mistake and has cost me.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm guessing that you are leaving Riddle? If I may ask, where to?

catholic2006

Mon May 14, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting N776AU (Reply 12):
I will be attending Gainesville State College majoring in Music Education, with hopes of transferring to the University of Georgia as soon as possible.

I want to be a music ed major too so I can teach high school orchestra, but I didn't apply anywhere for that. I have good ideas for teaching orchestra too, and at least I'd have a job!!!! lol haha oh well.

~chris~

AzoresLover

Mon May 14, 2007 4:48 am

Chris,

Why not get your music education credentials, too, while at Peabody? It is offered there, and the same performance major requirements are also required for the Education program. Since you're already planning on majoring in performance, how much more course work and time would be involved in doubling your major, going for both performance and education? I'm thinking it would take a fifth year, but I don't know for sure. That education degree is great to have, so whatever happens in your future you'd have the credentials to go that route. You never know what the future holds, and if you decided to go ahead and complete your education credentials at some future time, it would be a longer and more difficult process than if you just did it right now while you're already at Peabody.

Had you ever considered this?
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

catholic2006

Mon May 14, 2007 5:06 am

That's actually what the oboe professors suggested, and they say that a lot of the ed majors are better players and the ones that do do both say it's not THAT much extra work.

So I don't know. I'll think about it. I really need to work on my technique though because it's just not competent enough I feel.

~chris~

Thanks!

adopim88

Mon May 14, 2007 5:43 am

I wish you the best at Peabody. Big grin

Quoting AzoresLover (Reply 15):
Since you're already planning on majoring in performance, how much more course work and time would be involved in doubling your major, going for both performance and education? I'm thinking it would take a fifth year, but I don't know for sure. That education degree is great to have, so whatever happens in your future you'd have the credentials to go that route. You never know what the future holds, and if you decided to go ahead and complete your education credentials at some future time, it would be a longer and more difficult process than if you just did it right now while you're already at Peabody

I completely agree here (and not because I am an education major [elementry ed w/ middle school social studies emphasis]  Wink ) It's always good to have a back up plan or just something to fall back on if things don't go quite how you planned. Like AzoresLover said, you never know what the future may hold so be prepared for anything that comes your way  Smile
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

DeltaAVL

Mon May 14, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Catholic2006 (Thread starter):

Wow, as a fellow (classical) musician, I can say that you must have worked your ass off to get into Peabody. It's one of the best music schools in the world, right up there with Juilliard.

Congratulations and I hope you can make some wonderful come out of your college education.

Good luck, and all the best!  Smile
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon May 14, 2007 6:09 am

I have no idea what it is, but I'm sure it's prestigious! Congrats and good luck!
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

catholic2006

Mon May 14, 2007 7:20 am

Hahaha thank you, lol, but I didn't get into Juilliard. . .that was the most embarrassing audition ever. . .I knew I probably wasn't going to get in, but I did want to play my best for THOSE oboists (principals in the Met Opera Orchestra, and New York Philharmonic)

. . .I was playing on store-bought reeds because I cannot fully make my own and I couldn't get in for a lesson with my teacher  Sad oh well, hahaha

The oboes there will eat me alive!!! I accidentally heart an oboe jury while trying to find the restrooms and I was like "okay, I wanna go home because I can't play like that!" I don't know if that person was a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year or grad student, but they were freaking amazing!!! beautiful tone quality, and amazing technique.

~chris~

Ohhh, and I have to get a new oboe  Sad, I like my oboe! Yeah, no professionals play Foxes as hard core performers, but it is a professional instrument (feminine sounding, not masculine like Lorees), oh well. . .as long as I can keep Felicity (current oboe), then I'll be okay. Now, I know there is $10,000 lying around here some place. . .hmmm (sike)

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon May 14, 2007 7:28 am

Quoting Catholic2006 (Reply 20):
The oboes there will eat me alive!!! I accidentally heart an oboe jury while trying to find the restrooms and I was like "okay, I wanna go home because I can't play like that!" I don't know if that person was a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year or grad student, but they were freaking amazing!!! beautiful tone quality, and amazing technique.

Don't worry about it. That's why you go to school, one day you could be the one practicing while some new prospective student walks by and thinks to himself "okay, I wanna go home because I can't play like that!". Keep practicing and you can do it.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

DeltaAVL

Mon May 14, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Catholic2006 (Reply 20):
. . .I was playing on store-bought reeds because I cannot fully make my own and I couldn't get in for a lesson with my teacher.. oh well, hahaha

Ugh, I know how that feels, I played oboe for about 2 years and I NEVER could find a reed that I liked. Plus, the good ones cost a fortune! That was one of the biggest reasons I switched instruments (now I'm on percussion and clarinet).

So after college do you want to try for an orchestra, like the NY Philharmonic? That would be way cool.

Oh, and I have a Fox too. Trying to sell it now, though.  Wink
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

Halcyon

Mon May 14, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 13):

Excellent guess. I'm going to Rocky now, mainly because it's cheap (Much more paid for.) and I can combine my passion for the medical field and aviation. (And many more reasons...but those are for PMs...)

Queso

Mon May 14, 2007 9:23 am

Quoting Catholic2006 (Thread starter):

Are you going into the Conservatory as your "Gay" or your "Straight" persona?
Headache. . .two Weeks Of Torture. . . (by Catholic2006 Aug 27 2006 in Non Aviation)

BTW, how's the headache?

tz757300

Mon May 14, 2007 9:41 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 24):

Are you going into the Conservatory as your "Gay" or your "Straight" persona?

Oh no, not again
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

catholic2006

Mon May 14, 2007 12:10 pm

Haha, I know the oboe is so beautiful but reeds can make us sound awful so that's why it's so imperative that I learn to make my own, lol.

I really really wanna audition and win for a spot in the New York Phil or any orchestra like that. I'm not placing any bets on that though because you have to be hella good to win those spots (especially when they're paying principal oboists are $250,000/yr to play for them even though orchestras are dying :'().

But I will try and take as many auditions as possible and then one day I maybe won't have to work in Fast Food anymore. . . I'd rather work at Hollister, A&F, or AE or something, but oh well. Maybe in college if I have time. . .

I just wanna play, and if I have to work a few jobs on the side to pay those bills, so be it, but I really wanna play in an orchestra. My favorite thing, my favorite music, nice tuxes, hott instruments, mouth-watering to me (I'm weird like that).

I'm so ready to play serious Beethoven and Mozart (Mahler too even though I'm not a fan), and Schumann, Schubert, Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Tchaikovsky, and all those classical/Romantic/Baroque composers.

All the contemporary stuff we do now is irking me, and I wanna play it too, but not as much and it wouldn't be so bad if we played master works every now and then.

Here's the problem: My youth orchestra is decent. The strings are pretty intense and talented and the winds are pretty much the best we have around in this area (and some of them (flutes, clarinets, horns) are really not bad. . .but this is some of what I've played in the orchestra so far:

Bartok: Hungarian Pictures
Enesco: Romanian Rhapsody No. 1* (cool piece, but ehh. . .)
Debussy: Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune*
Copland: Appalachian Spring
Rachmaninnoff: Piano Concerto No. 2
Mahler: Symphony No. 4 in G Major
Sibelius: Symphony No. 1 in E minor
Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D Major, op. 72** (we should have played THE WHOLE THING and not just a movement)
Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor* (actually decent)
Haydn: Symphony No. 6 in D Major "Le Matin"* (more in Haydn's Baroque style but no woodwind runs!!!)
Mozart: Symphony No. 20 in D Major K.???* (cute, but def not a masterwork. . .why not no. 40 or nos. 38, 31, or 35?)
Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Violin Concerto in E Minor*
Grieg: Piano Concerto in A Minor*
Rimsky-Korsakov: Danse des Bouffons from 'Snowmaiden'
Barber: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra
J. S. Bach: Fantasia and Fugue in C Minor (after an organ fugue)* (not the original form)
Corigliano: Elegy for Orchestra*

*pieces I actually liked, but feel so so towards them because they either 1) aren't the masterworks I really wanted to play, or 2) were a good composer, but not a masterwork and didn't have the woodwind parts I fantasize about
**my favorite piece in that orchestra

And my high school's orchestra is just full of string musicians who don't care and talk sooo much during rehearsal, a conductor who really cannot conduct, musically knowlegeable, but devotion is clearly not to orchestra as he is a jazz musician and teaches ROCK ENSEMBLE class. . .when did that start???? Advanced Chamber Music sounds better to me for a class, but state college pa is all jazz and rock, and we don't have the musicians for chamber) The Wind/brass/percussion in orchestra are all the band people who are not the "practice a million hours a day people who do so many etudes, serious private lessons, get good instruments, or care about creating beautiful classical music as they do about just hanging with their friends and are musicians JUST because their friends are and are not concerned with accuracy in playing or creating an unforgettable performance" (rather frustrating really, but maybe i'm too militant, and it seems to be the case). There are some really good ones in there, I won't lie, but the interest is in jazz which is okay even though I don't like jazz, but i don't know broaden the horizons and think like an orchestral player in ORCHESTRA!!!! lol However, the repertoire is amazing!!!!! (but it sounds horrible when we play it because it's not up to tempo, people don't understand that playing in band is DIFFERENT from playing in orchestra, and it's just not rehearsed, practiced, OR conducted right, lol:

Brahms: Academic Festival Overture
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, op. 67
Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite No. 1
Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Symphony No. 4 in A Major, op. 90 "Italian"
Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: Symphony No. 5 in D Minor, op. ?? "Reformation"
Glazounov: Ouverture Solennelle in D Major
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade, op. 35
Mozart: Regina Coeli (with Master Singers Choir)
Haydn: Symphony No. 104 in D Major "London"
Bizet: L'Arlesienne Suite No. 2
Prokofiev: Suite from Lieutenant Kije
Copland: Hoe Down from 'Rodeo'
Corigliano: Elegy for Orchestra

Now the works listed above are actually really good orchestral works!!!!!! But it doesn't really count because our orchesta in high school is just ahhh!!! It's like, why do I even bother tuning them because it's so futile. . .So if we played our high school stuff in youth orchestra, then I'd be kinda set. I was so fed up that I was like "I'm so auditioning for the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra and the Philadelphia Youth Orchestra because I can't take this anymore (because those youth orchestras play everything!!!) Well, that was unrealistic seeing as they're both at least 3 and a half hours away from my house! Every weekend??? That would have been nice, but not realistic. So I was stuck here.

So, after hearing all of these awesome orchestral works on CD's by these hott orchestras and what not, I naturally get really strong urges to want to play those pieces like that and ideally in those ensembles!!!! So yeah I'm a little too ambitious and impatient at wanting to play the good stuff so badly i'm not thinking logically about my career that more likely than not I won't get. . .but what if. . .?

I don't know. The Peabody orchestras are amazing and even though 1st years usually don't get in the orchestras there, at least I can go to the concerts (state college lacks a decent symphony orchestra professionally. The one here is okay, but I think I just love the stuff they play so much that my ears hear it differently). I do like to attend concerts as well. Great outings!

~chris~

deltagator

Mon May 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Congrats on the acceptance though we ask one thing of you while there....take an English class or two and work on your grammar and sentence structure. Not trying to be an ass but your writing skills are very poor for someone who has such high hopes for their career.

Quoting Queso (Reply 24):
BTW, how's the headache?

Yeah, how's that working out for you? What about your grand experiment wearing sandals with socks?
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."