mrniji

Honest People In The World

Tue May 15, 2007 1:54 am

And yes.. there exist honest people in the world!  praise 

MrIdiot, also called MrNiji at occasions, managed to leave a wallet with over US$3000 in cash and other stuff in a rented car and returned the car, maybe thinking of making someone a good holiday...

And... the people who rented next (don't they clean cars? Big grin ) did everything he could to find out whom it belonged to, before I realized (I was at a wedding in YYZ and somehow forgot everything in hectic). Then, when my parents met the couple, they denied to take a US$100 reward, so we had to force them....

Isn't this amazing? I always thought stories of people forgetting suitcases of $$$$$$s only happened to idiots, so I should change my username to MrIdiot..

Anything similar happened to you? It gives me hope in humanity!
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

ORFflyer

RE: Honest People In The World

Tue May 15, 2007 2:01 am

Great story!! Glad you got your money back, and many kudos to the folks that returned it.....

bigthumbsup 

As for:

Quoting Mrniji (Thread starter):
so I should change my username to MrIdiot..

Nah - you'd lose all your stats.  Wink

EWRCabincrew

Tue May 15, 2007 2:05 am

I believe in karma and consider myself very honest.

I would hope (but far from expect) that would returmed to me.
You can't cure stupid

Klaus

Tue May 15, 2007 2:16 am

Most people are inherently honest. It may also have helped that the next renters of the same car would have been identified easily...!

TuRbUleNc3

Tue May 15, 2007 2:28 am

I found a wallet with about £400 and a pair of car keys including a tag with the reg number on in a restaurant (smart eh?), as tempting as it was i handed it to a waiter to be returned to the owner. It was only a skoda favourit anyway.  duck 

wilco737

Tue May 15, 2007 2:49 am

Wow, I never had $3000 in my wallet... I seriously doubt it would FIT into my wallet...

anyway, great that there are still honest poeple!

WILCO737 (MD11)
 airplane 

ArmitageShanks

Tue May 15, 2007 2:54 am

I lost my wallet while cycling in Vondelpark in Amsterdam while there on vacation and about 2 months later it shows up in my mailbox in Tennessee with everything still in it, including the cash.

Daleaholic

Tue May 15, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 5):
I seriously doubt it would FIT into my wallet...

It would only be 30 $100 notes... I'm guessing that's what he had it in. Anything less and I'm sure his wallet would have been pretty bulky!!! Big grin
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

HAWK21M

Tue May 15, 2007 3:18 am

There are quite a few Honest people around.The drawback is that they are in a minority.
I would like to have Honest people as friends.The problem is that it takes time to identify them as the world is suspect.

I know a few people that have returned valuables found for no reward.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Sabena332

Tue May 15, 2007 3:27 am

A few years ago I forgot my wallet with cash, debit card, and credit card as well as my passport and ATB tickets in a rental car at LAX, I didn't even notice that I forgot the stuff until the bus driver shouted something like: "Patrick from Germany, do you miss something?". The car cleaners found my stuff and informed the shuttle bus driver via radio.  thumbsup  No question that I left a bit tip for the guys!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

TedTAce

Tue May 15, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 1):
Nah - you'd lose all your stats.

We all have our moments, sometimes they work out fine, sometimes we get screwed. All we can do is relish the times things work out and be prepared for the next screwing.
This space intentionally left blank

LH526
Crew

Tue May 15, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 5):
I seriously doubt it would FIT into my wallet

Six 500€ Bills is not that much ...  

Just recently I forgot my wallet in a private Hotel in AMS (More of a family sub-letting some rooms in their big house). The door couldn't be locked, so I left the wallet under my pillow during the night ... something I never do so I subsequently forgot it the next morning (we were in a hurry and usualy I ALWAYS make a CWIK (Cellphone, Wallet, iPod, Keys) checkup ... not so this morning. I didn't realise it until I asked for the bill in a restaurant and foun everything but my wallet.
I phoned the family and they found the wallet while changing the bed-sheets ... everything still in it!

I once also lost my backpack (with tons of Kodachrome films, ... but NOT my wallet) during a spotting trip in SCL ... I approached the officials, all radios went on and every security / policeman was informed about my missing backpack ....
just for kicks we also checked the buses that were about to leave the airport, and there it was .. protected by a lady. I was lucky and my mind played tricks of the sudden reappearance and I even offered here a reward, yet instantly I realised she was about to steal it! so I got my backpack back and she faced a loong talk with the officials  

Mario
LH526

[Edited 2007-05-14 20:53:38]
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

ArmitageShanks

Tue May 15, 2007 10:56 am

This reminded me of an article in Readers Digest a few years ago:

http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/1997/03/think_01.html

HAWK21M

Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 pm

There are quite a few honest people in the world,The problem is that they are overshadowed by the Majority that are not Honest.
So most people doubt their genuiness.

regds
MEL

ORFflyer

Tue May 15, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 10):
All we can do is relish the times things work out and be prepared for the next screwing.

They're some screwings that can be looked forward to....  biggrin 

ANCFlyer

Tue May 15, 2007 9:41 pm

I had a habit of hanging my cell phone on the seat back in front of me when flying.

One one occasion, I deplaned in PHX, and had just about boarded my ongoing flight when I realized I didn't have the phone. Well, I had no time to spare, my connection was boarding, so I beat feet back to the arrival gate. Alas, the plane was already pushing on a departure to Mexico. I asked about, and no one had turned in a phone. I knew that was the last I'd ever see of that phone.

Damnit.

So, I went on my way, caught my flight to MRY and called the AT&T widgets when I arrived.

A few days later, I was sitting in a hotel in St. Joseph, Missouri and my pager beeped - with a Phoenix phone number. I called. It was an HP flight attendant. She had my phone. She had found it when she boarded and was heading Mexico. I asked her how she got my pager number - since it wasn't listed in the phone.

She said she scrolled through all the numbers in the phone until she found one that she was certain would know how to contact me. The entry simply said: MOM.  biggrin 

She also told me my Mother qas quite suspicious as to how she came to possess my phone, and why she was calling her on it, from Mexico.  laughing 

I sent the great FA a check for $50, she mailed my phone back to me, and I sent a letter to HP thanking her for her honesty.

IMO - it's a damn rare commodity these days.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue May 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
She said she scrolled through all the numbers in the phone until she found one that she was certain would know how to contact me. The entry simply said: MOM.

If there is one person you can always depend on, it's good old mom  Smile

She also told me my Mother qas quite suspicious as to how she came to possess my phone, and why she was calling her on it, from Mexico.

rotfl 
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

bristolflyer

Tue May 15, 2007 11:15 pm

Anything similar happened to you?

Yes, was in Payson AZ last summer travelling back to Phoenix and my wallet fel out of my pocket in a supermarket parking lot. Within about 15 mins I had rec'd a call from a lady who had picked it up, opened it to find my bz card then called me on my cellphone. I returned to collect it (she waited for me), offered her money but she wouldn't take any.
Fortune favours the brave

ronglimeng

Thu May 17, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 13):
There are quite a few honest people in the world,The problem is that they are overshadowed by the Majority that are not Honest.

I was interested to follow through ArmitageShank's link to the Reader's Digest story. They left out a number of wallets with $50 in various cities around the world. In Canada the overall return rate was 77%, in the USA 67%, Europe 58% , and Asia 57%.

So it seems that everywhere there is a majority of people who are honest.

I don't know what the return rate would be in Bombay. It must be a lot tougher for most people there to be honest about $50, than in the places in Canada that were sampled.

HAWK21M

Thu May 17, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 18):
I was interested to follow through ArmitageShank's link to the Reader's Digest story. They left out a number of wallets with $50 in various cities around the world. In Canada the overall return rate was 77%, in the USA 67%, Europe 58% , and Asia 57%

Its more to do with Standard of living than Honesty.

If you have a Family needing food/medicines worth Rs 100.You earn Rs 25/day.And you find a wallet with Rs500.Tell me what would you do.

For People in Developed countries that would be cheap change.

So its also about personal financial situation & not just honest.

regds
MEL

mrniji

Thu May 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 7):
It would only be 30 $100 notes... I'm guessing that's what he had it in. Anything less and I'm sure his wallet would have been pretty bulky!!!

My wallet is always bulky, because it is full of US$.01 pieces, or abroad with currency of less vaule.... Big grin - Ms Niji urged me to buy a new wallet, or I have problems and she might kill me (which I better do Big grin - no I wait till she gives up and buys me a new one Big grin ). The thing is.. this wallet is holy, more than 10 years old, has carried currencies all over the world. I can't surrender it, after having it lost and found again especially... guys..: no bad comments about the picture Big grin

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 19):
Its more to do with Standard of living than Honesty.

If you have a Family needing food/medicines worth Rs 100.You earn Rs 25/day.And you find a wallet with Rs500.Tell me what would you do.

I agree, but we see the correlation differently. I actively claim that the poorer someone is, the more honest people are. I have had people in India, living under the described situation, who ran after me for hours because I paid Rs. 1 too much. The richer, the greedier. Go in business and observe corruption and the game to become richer, the game. The less hardcore capitalist, the more honest, and the less crime, from my point of perception. Money and wealth from a certain extent spoils people. As a matter of fact, the family that returned my wallet was a young couple (younger than me) with a kid, not rich.

Thanks for your inputs.. truly amazing, some people..
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

HAWK21M

Fri May 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 20):
guys..: no bad comments about the picture

Damn.....I had a few words  biggrin 

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 20):
As a matter of fact, the family that returned my wallet was a young couple (younger than me) with a kid, not rich.

True.Subin.But I was statng a poor person in need of Food or medicine for their Family member.Thats desperation.There have been stories at BOM of poor people returning Lakhs of others.So its difficult to state a fixed standard.

regds
MEL

TheCol

Sat May 19, 2007 3:33 am

While inspecting a plane, I found a guy's wallet with around $2000 (CAD) in it. You wouldn't believe how tempted I was to help myself to some loot. However, I quickly locked it in the company office with a note instructing the morning crew to turn it in to the airline's lost and found. You should have seen our jaws drop to the floor. The whole crew never came across anything like that before.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

overlander

Sun May 20, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):
Most people are inherently honest.

bigthumbsup 

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 13):

No one hears about the simple things, about showing respect for other people and even if it is saying, excuse me you dropped your phone or purse or wallet, this is of no interest to the media and sometimes they tend to distort things.

Yes, there are people who have no respect, but they are still thankfully a minority.
It is better to travel hopefully.............but, always be prepared for the worst!

PAHS200

Sun May 20, 2007 9:11 am

In the time we live in when it seems like the only things people take about are how bad the world is. Its nice to hear story's about how many honest people there are.

Time for a short story:

I was with my family walking into Bed Bath and Beyond, These two old women (i would say late 60s early 70s) were walking on the other side of the parking lot when one dropped a birthday card I ran across the road and picked it up. they told me they wish there were more people like me in the world.  cheerful 

fxramper

Sun May 20, 2007 10:14 am

Found a wallet last summer with over $1000 cash in it. Saw a girl searching the parking lot c(rying) and asked her to describe it to me. She was headed on holiday with her friends for two weeks, thus the amount of cash.

About a month ago, was walking into HEB after a long day at work. It was just starting to rain and I say some bills crumpled up on the parking lot. I picked them up to discover it was two $50 bills. Left my name and number with the supervisor and no one has yet to cal.  dollarsign 

I don't believe in karma or luck.  bouncy 

BFS

Mon May 28, 2007 3:14 am

Its good to be reminded that there still are so many good people in the world. A few days ago I did a flight from AMS and when we got back to London, I went home while the rest of the crew did another 2 sectors. A friend of mine who was on the crew got in touch with me saying he had lost his cell phone and asked to me check the last possible place it could be, the lost property desk in the crew room. When it wasnt there, he called his network to report it and they told him calls had been made to Malta. They gave him the number dialled, he called it and ask who it was and who had called them on an English phone and they gave him a name. It's in the police's hands now, but I'm looking forward to hearing how the story finishes!

OzarkD9S

Mon May 28, 2007 11:19 am

Debt free.

And there ya go.
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

ZBBYLW

Mon May 28, 2007 12:14 pm

I have a very similar story I was flying on a QX CRA YVR-YXY landed in YXY and arrived at the hotel checked in and laid down on the bed. Then I thought I would send a text message to my girlfriend a the time... OO SHIT!! No cell phone... I freak out!! Call 411 and get a hold of the QX counter to ask if anyone has returned it. No... So I ask if she could please check the aircraft (20 minutes since getting outside) and she said they just closed the door and it was to late... OK so I am disappointed but what can I do.. my fault. She said she was going to send a message down to YVR and let them know... Well I spend my 3 days in YXY and return back to YVR and ask the baggage agent if anything has turned up he goes and takes a look but nothing... 2 days after I arrive in YVR I get home from work and my mother asks me if I had lost my cell phone... told her I did... and she said a man from YWG had opened my phone (found it to be French and found someone who could speak French) and had called "home" the next day the phone was waiting for me in YVR and was really relieved. Being the aviation nut that I am... I went to flight tracker and found out which aircraft flew me up to YXY then decided to see where my cell went in those few days. Turns out it went down to the states (SAN I think it was) hit up YXE and finally YWG... long trip for my cell.
Keep the shinny side up!

MCOflyer

Mon May 28, 2007 12:49 pm

Ok, I had a vacation last year and I left my phone in my managers car. I didn't realise this till I got home and I got a call saying to stop by on my out of town. I did and bought her breakfast. Its the least I could do for someone honest.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.