777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Learner Hoon Loses $A110k Mercedes In MEL

Tue May 15, 2007 6:56 pm

A 21-year-old learner driver had his $A110,000 ($NZ124,000) Mercedes Benz impounded after being caught travelling at 164kmh in a 100kmh zone in Melbourne.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4060531a12.html

Serves the stupid prick right. Wouldn't be surprised if the students parents purchased the car for him.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

airfoilsguy

RE: Learner Hoon Loses $A110k Mercedes In MEL

Tue May 15, 2007 7:27 pm

That guy is stupid in more was then one. He paid $83,000 US for a car that we can get in the states for $50,000.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

melpax

Tue May 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting 777ER (Thread starter):
Serves the stupid prick right. Wouldn't be surprised if the students parents purchased the car for him

No doubt about that. From reading the article, (Kid lives in Southbank, International student) I'd say he's more than likely asian, sent here by his cashed up folks to go to uni, and given a very generous allowance while here. Basically a 3 year party(clubs, casion, etc) for 'em while they're here & they return home to the family firm.

Mind you, I use that particular freeway at least once a week, and you'd have no probs driving at that speed outside of peak times.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

bill142

Tue May 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Why can't people respect the rules? Serves this kid, regardless of where he is from and any other kid that thinks they're above the law, right.

withak

Tue May 15, 2007 10:30 pm

This guy is a true idiot. I think the hoon laws are great. It hits these dickheads where it hurts, their cars.

WithaK

Marco

Tue May 15, 2007 11:11 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if the students parents purchased the car for him

How does that concern you? If your parents offered you a brand new SLK 350, would you refuse it?

No doubt about that. From reading the article, (Kid lives in Southbank, International student) I'd say he's more than likely asian, sent here by his cashed up folks to go to uni, and given a very generous allowance while here. Basically a 3 year party(clubs, casion, etc) for 'em while they're here & they return home to the family firm.

I think that the main issue here is that he was speeding ecxessively and should be punished for doing so. Whether he's a rich kid is none of your business. Let's not forget that many of these "rich asian kids" studying in your country are contributing to your country's economy.

That guy is stupid in more was then one. He paid $83,000 US for a car that we can get in the states for $50,000

Taxes on cars in Australia are absolutely ridiculous!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

pilotdude09

Tue May 15, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Marco (Reply 5):

Oh yeah!

We have to pay GST (sales tax) AND stamp duty ontop of a car. On a 110k car in victoria would be approx 8-10 grand more and then GST so prob 120-125 all up!

What a moron, hes the kind that gives P platers their bad names!
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

Stealthz

Tue May 15, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting Marco (Reply 5):
Let's not forget that many of these "rich asian kids" studying in your country are contributing to your country's economy.

Not as much as one thinks, whilst they pay for their university educations(sometimes) they are places no longer available to Australian students.
Not complaining really as it is indeed a compliment that these wealthy foreigners see our education standards as something special but it is over indulged little pricks like this, who had several prior speed related offences whilst on a learner permit and was in this case driving unaccompanied on a cancelled permit that give these folk a bad name.
IMHO arroagnt little s&^%s like this should be deported without their education with full publicity given back in their home countries thus shaming the indulgent parents who should have taught their children better standards.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

airfoilsguy

Wed May 16, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Marco (Reply 5):
Let's not forget that many of these "rich asian kids" studying in your country are contributing to your country's economy.

What would happen to him in his country if he was caught doing this? I bet it would not be pleasant.  Smile
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

yowza

Wed May 16, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 8):
What would happen to him in his country if he was caught doing this? I bet it would not be pleasant.

Well if he's got the dough and the connections... nothing. Shame really, the 350 is a great vehicle.

YOWza

Marco

Wed May 16, 2007 6:32 am

What would happen to him in his country if he was caught doing this? I bet it would not be pleasant.

It's not like the US cops are a pleasure to deal with! In his country, or in many other countries he would get a fine, or possibly nothing.

Not as much as one thinks, whilst they pay for their university educations(sometimes) they are places no longer available to Australian students

Actually I think that foreigners contribute alot more than you would think. Walking around in Sydney, I noticed that a good proportion of the people driving expensive cars, wearing branded clothes, bags and jewellery were Asians and other foreigners. That is alot of tax money right there. You can add to that the amount of money they spend on real estate, flights to and from Australia, tuition fees, etc...and it actually comes out to alot. If Australian students are competing with foreigners for spots at universities maybe that's a good thing. Competition leads to innovation.

IMHO arroagnt little s&^%s like this should be deported without their education with full publicity given back in their home countries thus shaming the indulgent parents who should have taught their children better standards

If every country took that attitude the world would be chaotic. I'm currently living in Dubai and I am appalled at the way westerners, particularly the large Australian expatriate community, break rules, lack courteousy, speed, and abuse the system because they think that they live in an uncivilized country. Maybe they should de deported as well?
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Stealthz

Wed May 16, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting Marco (Reply 10):
If every country took that attitude the world would be chaotic.

I am not talking about the immigrant population, I am referring to the spoilt and arrogant students who are here for the party more than the schooling

I'm currently living in Dubai and I am appalled at the way westerners, particularly the large Australian expatriate community, break rules, lack courteousy, speed, and abuse the system because they think that they live in an uncivilized country. Maybe they should de deported as well?

I agree they should!

I have not spent much time in Dubai but have been other places with large expat communities, surprises me that Australians stand out over any other group but you are entitled to your opinion.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

bill142

Wed May 16, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 6):
We have to pay GST (sales tax) AND stamp duty ontop of a car. On a 110k car in victoria would be approx 8-10 grand more and then GST so prob 120-125 all up!

And a car like this would attract Luxury Car Tax as it is over $57900

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 6):
What a moron, hes the kind that gives P platers their bad names!

Except that he was an L Plater.

Marco

Wed May 16, 2007 7:46 am

have not spent much time in Dubai but have been other places with large expat communities, surprises me that Australians stand out over any other group but you are entitled to your opinion

Australians don't stand out, my point is that they are a large portion of the western expatriate community here. And no the solution is not to deport anyone who speeds at 160 km/hr. Deportation should be used for idiots like the Sheikh Hilali (sp?), not a young Asian student who was speeding. Yes it was wrong, but you are all overreacting because he was driving an SLK...
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Stealthz

Wed May 16, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting Marco (Reply 13):
And no the solution is not to deport anyone who speeds at 160 km/hr. Deportation should be used for idiots like the Sheikh Hilali (sp?),

Your 2nd point, might get more support here than you think!!

Quoting Marco (Reply 13):
Yes it was wrong, but you are all overreacting because he was driving an SLK...

Don't give a rat's about the car(though if not from a wealthy family one could ask how he afforded it) This kid that was speeding was doing so as a learner driver without an accompanying licensed driver. Oh and yes his learners permit had been suspended due to several other speed related offenses. We are discussing a serial offender here that shows no respect for the laws of his host country. If he so willfully flaunts that law, how many others is he also breaking?

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 12):
Except that he was an L Plater.

More correctly a suspended L Plater

Springbok747

Wed May 16, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting Melpax (Reply 2):

Yup..happens here all the time. I'm amazed to see those folks buy brand new cars within days of arriving here. What I was told by a friend from Singapore was that cars there are very expensive, so when they see they can get a good car here for around $35-40k, then they go bonkers and just grab those new cars.

Quoting Marco (Reply 5):
How does that concern you? If your parents offered you a brand new SLK 350, would you refuse it?

The point here is that you wouldn't catch a local uni student driving around in an SLK. This dickhead should follow the speed limit especially given the fact that he was an L-plater, who cares what car he was driving. He broke the law. Period.

Actually I think that foreigners contribute alot more than you would think. Walking around in Sydney, I noticed that a good proportion of the people driving expensive cars, wearing branded clothes, bags and jewellery were Asians and other foreigners. That is alot of tax money right there. You can add to that the amount of money they spend on real estate, flights to and from Australia, tuition fees, etc...and it actually comes out to alot. If Australian students are competing with foreigners for spots at universities maybe that's a good thing. Competition leads to innovation.

Except many of those "Asians" are Australians. They or their parents/grandparents may have arrived as immigrants, but now they're Australians and the majority of them are permanent residents here.

Australian students are competing for spots with international students. But I think this is getting ridiculous nowadays because our government seems to have screwed up the standards in our universities. I have seen so many international students who can't even use basic english, it still beats me how they managed to pass their english exams to come here. The standard of education here is falling, and it is being done in order to accommodate these "rich" international students, and something really needs to change otherwise we'll end up being losers in our own country.
אני תומך בישראל

Stealthz

Wed May 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 15):
Australian students are competing for spots with international students. But I think this is getting ridiculous nowadays because our government seems to have screwed up the standards in our universities

And it is not just the universities many of the private secondary schools here on the North Shore and Northern beaches of Sydney have ceased to be the "centres of learning excellence" they once claimed and now focus on how many Asian students they can enroll at exorbidant fees.
Indeed at least one and likely more operate junior schools in various Asian countries as feeders for their "fee factories"

But I digress and this is moving further and further off topic.

Cheers

Marco

Wed May 16, 2007 4:26 pm

Except many of those "Asians" are Australians. They or their parents/grandparents may have arrived as immigrants, but now they're Australians and the majority of them are permanent residents here.

Many of them are indeed Australians, but Sydney is a multicutlural city like Toronto, NY, etc...and I'd venture and say that atleast 20% of the population is not born in Australia. In Toronto this figure is closer to 40% fyi...
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Stealthz

Wed May 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Quoting Marco (Reply 17):
Many of them are indeed Australians, but Sydney is a multicutlural city like Toronto, NY, etc...and I'd venture and say that atleast 20% of the population is not born in Australia. In Toronto this figure is closer to 40% fyi...

Not sure of the figures here in Sydney but your number is likely in the ballpark but this discussion is not about the Australians of overseas origin, it is about arrogant young hoons with too much money that flaunt our laws and history shows if you show this much disregard for road rules you are likely to be breaking others as well... so home he should go!

jetmech

Wed May 16, 2007 4:58 pm

This guy, whatever his nationality is an idiot. I don't mind if people want to risk their own lives, but it really sh*ts me when they risk other people's lives as well.

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 7):
Not as much as one thinks, whilst they pay for their university educations(sometimes) they are places no longer available to Australian students.

Australian students are competing for spots with international students.

I'm not too sure if I get this. Local students are competing for HECS places, which are not available to international students who must pay full fees. I can understand your point if HECS places are forsaken for full-fee places, but there is no direct competition as such unless a local student is paying full fees as well.

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

Stealthz

Wed May 16, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting JetMech (Reply 19):
but there is no direct competition

Well there is, there are only so many university positions available and every one allocated to an overseas student is one less that is available for an Australian student whether they be a HECS position or full fees.

melpax

Wed May 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Yup..happens here all the time. I'm amazed to see those folks buy brand new cars within days of arriving here. What I was told by a friend from Singapore was that cars there are very expensive, so when they see they can get a good car here for around $35-40k, then they go bonkers and just grab those new cars.

It's also quite common for the parents to buy either an inner-city apartment or a McMansion in the suburbs for the Kid(s) to live in while studying. A mate who was in real estate would have people come into to his office straight from the airport with a cashier's cheque from their bank in Hong Kong/Singapore/KL ready to buy a house. They would then fly back home that night after quickly inspecting homes & sigining contracts. They see living in OZ as an absloute bargain, especially compared to places like Singapore.............
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting Marco (Reply 5):
Wouldn't be surprised if the students parents purchased the car for him

What concerns me, is the useless prick is putting other peoples lives at risk due to his 'bulletproof' attitude mostly all young teens have. If I was offered a car like that, no I wouldn't refuse the car BUT I wouldn't drive it the way the student did. Just for the record, I'm still a young person, but I drive a car that the insurance companys consider a luxary car due to its interior, but my parents didn't purchase the car for me, i took out a loan and I'm paying it off, so I've got brains and know how to drive a car minus the attitude of other young people. Before you ask, why I need a car like that, well I've got the car due to its towing capicity

Quoting Marco (Reply 5):

I think that the main issue here is that he was speeding ecxessively and should be punished for doing so. Whether he's a rich kid is none of your business. Let's not forget that many of these "rich asian kids" studying in your country are contributing to your country's economy.

Lets nott forget the fact that he was breaking the law and at the same time operating a vehicle in a dangerous manner. One way these pricks wake up is when they are involved in an accident and they are charged with dangerous driving. Even thou, I don't live in MEL or Australia, the only thing that concerns me is his attitude. Thats one of the reasons I support the driving age to be raised

Quoting Marco (Reply 5):
That guy is stupid in more was then one. He paid $83,000 US for a car that we can get in the states for $50,000

The cost of living in Australia is higer then it is in the USA/Canada, so thats why the car 'costs' more

Marco, I see your age is 21 - 25, so the attitude you have displayed is exactly what I'm talking about.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Marco

Thu May 17, 2007 12:49 am

I'm still a young person, but I drive a car that the insurance companys consider a luxary car due to its interior, but my parents didn't purchase the car for me, i took out a loan and I'm paying it off, so I've got brains and know how to drive a car minus the attitude of other young people

So you're implying that people whose parents offer them cars have absolutely no brains at all? What anarrow minded view, actually what a bitter way of looking at things...

In some cultures, it is customary for the parents to take care of the kids until they get married, and in return the kids take care of their parents when they're old - as opposed to dumping them in old peoples homes. This is a cultural thing, and has nothing to do with brains or not.

The cost of living in Australia is higer then it is in the USA/Canada, so thats why the car 'costs' more

So you cannot think outside of your little box? So what if the costs of living is higher? Is it matched with higher incomes? If not then maybe you're over-taxed. I really don't understand how you can relate a higher cost of living with ridiculous taxes on imported luxury cars.

Marco, I see your age is 21 - 25, so the attitude you have displayed is exactly what I'm talking about.

Actually it's bitter people like yourself whose attitude I can't stand. Sure the guy broke the rules, I'm all for punishing him, but talking about his wealth and background is irrelevant. It shouldn't matter to you, but it probably does because he drives an SLK 350.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

jetmech

Thu May 17, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 20):
Well there is, there are only so many university positions available and every one allocated to an overseas student is one less that is available for an Australian student whether they be a HECS position or full fees.

True, but this is more a decision taken by a university due to budgetary constraints and lack of funding. There is still no direct competition as such.

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting Marco (Reply 23):
So you're implying that people whose parents offer them cars have absolutely no brains at all? What anarrow minded view,

The children who get the cars handed to them, don't learn about how to treat and respect things at a young age, it doesn't matter if their parents are rich or poor cause the kids will have a different view when things are handed to them, that is a proven fact

Actually it's bitter people like yourself whose attitude I can't stand. Sure the guy broke the rules, I'm all for punishing him, but talking about his wealth and background is irrelevant. It shouldn't matter to you, but it probably does because he drives an SLK 350.

I couldn't give a rats as* if whether he drives an SLK or a Lada. What matters is the attitudes of the young people who are given things on a 'silver platter'.

So what if the costs of living is higher? Is it matched with higher incomes? If not then maybe you're over-taxed.

The cost of living obviously depends on the type of incomes each country have. Each car costs the same to produce and that car will be put on sale in each country depending on the cost of living. No matter what country its sold in, converting one countrys money into the producers countrys money value will result in the same price
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

PanHAM

Thu May 17, 2007 9:24 pm

First of all, thanks kid, for buying a German car. Second, thanks again for wasting it on a traffic fine. Ask your parents to buy you another one. Third, don't come to Germany for studying.  Wink

Congratulations to Melbourne PD. Can they keep that car and use it for their undercover fleet? I mean, confiscating a car for a minor offense is almost as cruel as sending Paris to jail.

Here, you'd probably pay something like € 150,00, get 3 points and walk 4 weeks, could be 8 weeks as well, I am not too familiar with the "catalogue"