Kreze
Topic Author

Prince Harry Will Not Serve In Iraq

Thu May 17, 2007 1:56 am

Head of the British Army said that Prince Harry will not serve in Iraq

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6663053.stm

There has been a lot of discussion about this and in many ways im not surprised about the decision.
The little things. There's nothing bigger, is there?

LHStarAlliance

RE: Prince Harry Will Not Serve In Iraq

Thu May 17, 2007 2:02 am

thats cowardly

Konstantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

ConcordeBoy

Thu May 17, 2007 2:05 am

...what a farce, not to mention a slap in the face to those who do face true danger.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ltbewr

Thu May 17, 2007 2:16 am

I am not surprised at this. Unlike his uncle who serve in the Falklands 'war' years ago, if Prince Harry were to be captured, killed or badly injured in Iraq, it would be a huge symboic win for the anti-western jiahadists - something the UK or the USA doesn't need at all in Iraq.

AsstChiefMark

Thu May 17, 2007 2:18 am

The last I heard, a camera crew was going to be going along to tape "Mr. Wales" and his mates in Iraq. Wouldn't that have, 1) Made him a more-identifiable target, and, 2) Turned the whole thing into a new series of "The Surreal Life?"
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

airfoilsguy

Thu May 17, 2007 2:20 am

The move represents a U-turn by the MoD, which said as recently as last month that the prince would be heading to Iraq as an armed reconnaissance officer.

As with all things related to Iraq it seems that no one knows what they are doing.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

UH60FtRucker

Thu May 17, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
the Falklands 'war' years ago

Why the quote marks on the word war? You don't agree that it was really a war?

Quoting Kreze (Thread starter):
Head of the British Army said that Prince Harry will not serve in Iraq

What's the purpose of a soldier, if he is non-deployable? And what's the point on going through a constant and vigorous training regiment, if the skills will never get put to the test?

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
if Prince Harry were to be captured, killed or badly injured in Iraq, it would be a huge symboic win for the anti-western jiahadists - something the UK or the USA doesn't need at all in Iraq.

What? The symbol that the West is seriously dedicated to fighting terrorism, and is even willing to sacrifice even a Prince for that cause? The princes of middle eastern countries are sure as hell not strapping bombs to their chests... even though they are "dedicated" to the cause.

A a soldier, and as a leader, he deserves the opportunity to fight and lead his men, in combat.

To a soldier, this is the ultimate slap in the face.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Kreze
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 7):
A a soldier, and as a leader, he deserves the opportunity to fight and lead his men, in combat.

I agree. He became a soldier, he wants to serve, so let him serve.

However there was a lot of talk of an SAS team being deployed for his protection. I think even with protection he would have done well in Iraq even just to motivate. But would the Army have become so obsessed with his protection that his role in Iraq would have become overly restricted?

Molykote

Thu May 17, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 1):
thats cowardly

Konstantin

I assume you're directing this toward someone other than Harry?
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

Kreze
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting Molykote (Reply 9):
I assume you're directing this toward someone other than Harry

I assume that he must be refering to the Army. Harry Is anything but a coward considering he wanted to go to Iraq

UH60FtRucker

Thu May 17, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting Kreze (Reply 8):

I'm not saying it is the same thing... but in the US Army, there are soldiers fighting who are the sons of very high, very important military generals. Should they be captured, it would be a "big deal".

Remember John McCain during the Viet Nam War? He was the son of a very important admiral, and when he was captured, he was tortured in an attempt to get a confession... because the confession of an admiral's son would an extra jab at America.

He would not be the first famous/important person to be sent to the front lines. Obviously additional steps would be made to keep him secure, and more stringent OPSEC rules regarding him would apply... but if they didn't want to go through the headache of this, then why did they accept him into the military? Why bother, if he's going to be nothing but dead weight?

-UH60

sprout5199

Thu May 17, 2007 2:50 am

I think he should go, but don't tell anyone. Have a double stay in England. No news crews or anything. just him and his troop, maybe a few SAS and one or two pr people.

But I do understand why the Arny doesn't want to send him, same reason GWB had to fly in a S-3 vs a F-18. How would it look to lose him.

Dan in Jupiter

Kreze
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 11):

Im not experienced with military operation so i was not sure how protection would affect him. You make it obvious that he could still perform normally which is what i was really trying to find out thanks for the response.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 11):
but if they didn't want to go through the headache of this, then why did they accept him into the military? Why bother, if he's going to be nothing but dead weight?

I see what you are saying. They should have really considered this before they accepted him.

bilgerat

Thu May 17, 2007 3:17 am

On one hand it is a farce that he is supposed to be a serving member of the British military, but he isn't allowed to go to Iraq. There's just been a politician on the news here saying "Are the Royal Family real serving members of our military, or are they just an adornment?"

Good question.

I would imagine this is a slap in the face to all the families who have lost someone in Iraq. Is Prince Harry's life worth more than a normal British soldier's?

On the other had, I bet there are a lot of people in Harry's unit breathing a sigh of relief now. I certainly wouldn't want to serve with him as he would be a magnet for every insurgent bullet and bomb in Iraq.

CastleIsland

Thu May 17, 2007 3:19 am

I have no concrete reason to doubt Prince Harry's desire to serve in Iraq, but to play devil's advocate, does anyone think that Harry knew (or was told by military higher-ups), that if he announced his intention to serve on the front, that the request would be denied? I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, but I can imagine how things work behind closed doors, particularly when it comes not only to royalty, but to military operations.

Just a theory, flame away if you must...
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

desertjets

Thu May 17, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting BilgeRat (Reply 14):
On the other had, I bet there are a lot of people in Harry's unit breathing a sigh of relief now. I certainly wouldn't want to serve with him as he would be a magnet for every insurgent bullet and bomb in Iraq.

If Prince Harry was deployed to Iraq how would potential enemies know that it was indeed Lt. Wales and not some regular British citizen? To me at least, one solder in uniform pretty much looks like the next one. Not like the MoD would advertise his whereabouts whilst deployed in Iraq.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

TedTAce

Thu May 17, 2007 3:31 am

You know, I would LOVE to say somthing about this issue. But as an American who has never been overseas, much less to the UK, I think I'll just sit back and STFU. Hopefully this will make a good example for those overseas who always feel they need to chime in about American issues like gun control in the US.
This space intentionally left blank

ZRH

Thu May 17, 2007 4:03 am

thats cowardly

I don't agree at all. It is wise. To send a such exposed person into Iraq would most stupid. Not only Harry would be in danger but also all his comrades. Harry would be THE most wanted target by terrorist and with him all person around him.

airfoilsguy

Thu May 17, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting BilgeRat (Reply 13):
On one hand it is a farce that he is supposed to be a serving member of the British military, but he isn't allowed to go to Iraq. There's just been a politician on the news here saying "Are the Royal Family real serving members of our military, or are they just an adornment?"

What is the difference with him pretending to be in the military and him pretending to be part of a real monarchy? The whole thing is a farce in my opinion.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Lurch

Thu May 17, 2007 4:28 am

Why not swop his unit for Afghanistan instead of Iraq as its a More open area of war fare unlike Iraq which is a lot of FISH(Fighting In Somones House) Warfare along with lots of Iranian Improvised Explosive Devices which would Vaporise his little Light tank, As they have prouved they can take out a Challenger 2.

Harry will get to serve some where just not where he whants Hmm I wonder if he mite Join the Army Air Corps? Apaches would be a good Job

cedarjet

Thu May 17, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 3):
the Falklands 'war'

Why is war in quotes? Hey, you might think it was small potatoes compared to the horror show of Iraq, but at least we won.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 6):
What's the purpose of a soldier, if he is non-deployable?

Exactly.

No, the ultimate slap in the face are the reasons Harry gave for wanting to overrule the advice of his security guys and go - "I don't want to miss the excitement." Surely even to a soldier, war is the last resort, and certainly something to be avoided if possible - it's not a fairground ride or a game. Disgraceful to the real British soldiers who risk their lives for real, as adults, not children. (Anyway he's not even a proper by blood.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

bilgerat

Thu May 17, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 15):
how would potential enemies know that it was indeed Lt. Wales and not some regular British citizen?

Well it's common knowledge that he is a commander of a light recon tank (I think it's a Scimitar?). I believe most (if not all) UK ground forces are concentrated in the Basra area. Therefore I think it would be fair to assume the minute a Scimitar shows up on the scene it would become the target of every insurgent in the hope that the third in line to the British Throne was inside.

I remember hearing about an episode during Desert Storm when a video was published showing Saddam Hussein in a mobile home (I think referred to in the US as a Winnebago?). Coalition aircraft then began destroying any mobile home they found in Iraq on the off chance Hussein might be inside.

[Edited 2007-05-16 21:40:12]

wrighbrothers

Thu May 17, 2007 5:07 am

That's pretty bad of the Army, he's a front-line officer, he's trained and paid to fight, he's publicly said he wants to fight and it's even worse, since his men will still got to Iraq, but not him. The whole press is a joke. They go around Iraq with big cameras and sound booms all over the place following British troops around, just making them an easier target to see. If they had just left him alone, he could have gone to Iraq, served and come back THEN they could have told the public, but oh no, lets plaster it all over the place so the enemy know he's coming. Then, if he had gone, what's the bets a film crew from the BBC or ITV or someone like that, would have followed him around, distracting him from his actual job and making him an easier target, and yet, when the bullets start flying around they'd be there with their nice visible blue helmets and bullet proof jackets trying to film the soldiers.

Quoting Kreze (Reply 7):
However there was a lot of talk of an SAS team being deployed for his protection. I think even with protection he would have done well in Iraq even just to motivate. But would the Army have become so obsessed with his protection that his role in Iraq would have become overly restricted?

Of-cource the SAS would have been with him, they'd Shadow him, be in his team, go ahead of him to make sure he wasn't going into a suicide mission etc, he would have been well protected.

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 20):
No, the ultimate slap in the face are the reasons Harry gave for wanting to overrule the advice of his security guys and go - "I don't want to miss the excitement." Surely even to a soldier, war is the last resort, and certainly something to be avoided if possible - it's not a fairground ride or a game.

True, but he's paid for the exact role for fighting wars, and there aren't many soldiers who don't want to fight in a war. Whether it be because they really want to, because they want a medal or anything like that, they do and will fight in wars without question.

Quoting BilgeRat (Reply 21):
(I think it's a Scimitar?

You are correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV107_Scimitar

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

Emirates773ER

Thu May 17, 2007 5:14 am

Exactly. I think the prince seems to think of war like a real time "Halo" game being played, he needs to be shown the death and suffering that takes place in a country at war for him to know the true objective of his assignment.
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Banco

Thu May 17, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting BilgeRat (Reply 21):
Therefore I think it would be fair to assume the minute a Scimitar shows up on the scene it would become the target of every insurgent in the hope that the third in line to the British Throne was inside.

That seems to have been the fear. How much attention you can pay to the media talking heads is moot, but the reported concern was that Iranian backed militia would target every British patrol in the hope of getting the Prince, and that the army weren't prepared to put every other soldier in that much increased danger.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

bhill

Thu May 17, 2007 5:32 am

"Everyone fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you"....
Carpe Pices

babybus

Thu May 17, 2007 5:48 am

I don't think we should expect any member of the Royal family to really do any job. They were not born for it.

I feel sorry for him. He'll probably spend years throwing paper balls into bins and just clubbing with pals.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

sovietjet

Thu May 17, 2007 6:27 am

Quoting Bhill (Reply 25):
"Everyone fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you"....

Starship troopers?

Thomson735

Thu May 17, 2007 6:52 am

thats a real shame id love to see that ginger looser go out there and see real situation , hes been giving the "bigtime" for ages so lets send him out there i say!!

NWOrientDC10

Thu May 17, 2007 10:16 am

My limited experience in the US Army was this : "Needs of the Army"

The military, as I experienced it, is this- you do as you're told, period, end of story. Here's an example: Gen. Patton was not permitted to lead Operation Overlord. Why? Because it was for the greater good. He was allowed to help the 101St. Abn. during the "Battle of the Bulge". Why? "Needs of the Army"

My point is this- perhaps Prince Harry is not to blame. I'm going to say something else which may get me in trouble: The average person needs to grow up.

Wait, here's someone else who was denied entry into the US Military - Frank Sinatra. He was denied entry into the US Military because of a medical defect (ruptured tympanic membrane). He was ostracized because of his not joining the military.

My point is this: let's not ostracize someone for a situation which is beyond their control.

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

UH60FtRucker

Thu May 17, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 30):
Because it was for the greater good. He was allowed to help the 101St. Abn. during the "Battle of the Bulge". Why? "Needs of the Army"

Bullshit. We didn't need any helping.  no 

We, in the big 1-0-1, help OTHER divisions. Not the other way around!  Wink

My point is this- perhaps Prince Harry is not to blame.

Confused

What are you talking about? Who's blaming Prince Harry???

I'm going to say something else which may get me in trouble: The average person needs to grow up.

Confused

Again, what the heck are you talking about? How does this even remotely relate to this discussion?

Wait, here's someone else who was denied entry into the US Military - Frank Sinatra.

Confused

Holy crap. Frank Sinatra's medical problems relate to this discussion... how?

My point is this: let's not ostracize someone for a situation which is beyond their control.

Confused

Again... who here is ostracizing Prince Harry?? The guy has publicly stated he wanted to serve in Iraq - it was the decision of the leadership to not send him. It's the decision they made, which we are debating. Or didn't you understand that?

-UH60

MDorBust

Thu May 17, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 30):
Bullshit. We didn't need any helping.

I'm sure you had just gottent the Germans right where you wanted them when thoose pesky glory grabbers showed up.  Wink
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Stealthz

Thu May 17, 2007 11:41 am

Do I believe that as a soldier should he deploy with his troops, Well yes

Do I believe that deployment may actually increase the risk to his troops and coalition forces in general, Yes

With that qualification, I think the MOD made the right choice.

My big issue is someone should have thought this through a couple of years ago before it became almost as big a PR coup for the insurgency as capturing or killing the young Lt.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

ANCFlyer

Thu May 17, 2007 11:43 am

We, in the big 1-0-1, help OTHER divisions. Not the other way around!

Uuuuhhh, Chief . . . . IIRC, Patton's III Army pulled the 101st ass outta the fire there . . . . of course, I'm just a dumbassed Tanker, what do I know . . . . who was trapped in Bastogne? The, ummmm, 101?  yes  Who came to get them? Ummm, Patton's III Army,  yes  biggrin   shhh  That would be us tankers by the by . . . .  wink 

Harry wants to serve in Iraq . . . .

Anyone thinking he's a coward for having the decision made for him is barkin' up the wrong tree.

Let the man go. He's a trained soldier.

As I said in an earlier thread this subject, he'll be scorned and ridiculed forever if he's not allowed to serve. Hell, some of you scorn and ridicule him - unjustly - anyway. This will just give you more misguided ammo.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

QANTASforever

Thu May 17, 2007 11:44 am

Oh my god! How will we go on??

I would imagine this is a slap in the face to all the families who have lost someone in Iraq. Is Prince Harry's life worth more than a normal British soldier's?

checkmark 

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 16):
You know, I would LOVE to say somthing about this issue. But as an American who has never been overseas, much less to the UK, I think I'll just sit back and STFU. Hopefully this will make a good example for those overseas who always feel they need to chime in about American issues like gun control in the US.

Where the hell did that come from?

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

fumanchewd

Thu May 17, 2007 11:55 am

The King of Rock and Roll says, "Let him go!".

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

NWOrientDC10

Thu May 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Bullshit. We didn't need any helping.

First of all, it's not "we", it's "they". I'm willing to guess that you weren't there in late 1944 when George S. Patton's Third Army helped Gen. Anthony McAuliffe after he told the Germans "Nuts". You should say "They didn't need any helping." Something else, "They didn't need any help" sounds better than "We didn't need any helping".

What are you talking about? Who's blaming Prince Harry???

You:

What's the purpose of a soldier, if he is non-deployable? And what's the point on going through a constant and vigorous training regiment, if the skills will never get put to the test?

What? The symbol that the West is seriously dedicated to fighting terrorism, and is even willing to sacrifice even a Prince for that cause? The princes of middle eastern countries are sure as hell not strapping bombs to their chests... even though they are "dedicated" to the cause.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 10):
He would not be the first famous/important person to be sent to the front lines. Obviously additional steps would be made to keep him secure, and more stringent OPSEC rules regarding him would apply... but if they didn't want to go through the headache of this, then why did they accept him into the military? Why bother, if he's going to be nothing but dead weight?

Holy crap. Frank Sinatra's medical problems relate to this discussion... how?

Frank Sinatra was not permitted to defend his country in combat. Apparently neither will Prince Harry. To answer your question, that's"how".

Do you or any of your followers/cheerleaders have any thing else to add to this discussion?

Russell

[Edited 2007-05-17 06:45:44]

TedTAce

Thu May 17, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 36):
Do you or any of your followers/cheerleaders have any thing else to add to this discussion?

I think you are being confrontational 'just because'. It's really sad to see someone arguing a counterpoint just because they don't like the other nickname.

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 34):
Where the hell did that come from?

Keep it for future reference.  Wink
This space intentionally left blank

L-188

Thu May 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 32):
Do I believe that as a soldier should he deploy with his troops, Well yes

Agree completely

Do I believe that deployment may actually increase the risk to his troops and coalition forces in general, Yes

Agree completely

With that qualification, I think the MOD made the right choice

I got to agree there too.

If you send him there he is going to be a major drain of resources. As mentioned here, a lot of SAS guys would have to be used to provide security instead of performing other missions. And then another question is his presence going to put other soldiers in greater danger. In the end deploying him would be a major distraction.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 33):
As I said in an earlier thread this subject, he'll be scorned and ridiculed forever if he's not allowed to serve.

I don't think there is any way he is going to avoid it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

NWOrientDC10

Thu May 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 37):
I think you are being confrontational 'just because'. It's really sad to see someone arguing a counterpoint just because they don't like the other nickname.

Please explain this further. Humor me, if you will.

Russel

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu May 17, 2007 8:59 pm

Exactly. It isn't cowardly, and frankly some people here need to engage their brains a bit before putting their fingers into gear.

Insurgents would be coming from miles around just to "have a go", thus exponentially increasing the risk not only to his unit, but to all troops in the area. We would highly likely see an increase in violence, and a total distraction from the job in hand. It is of course not helped by the media publicising it so much.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

baroque

Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 pm

No, the ultimate slap in the face are the reasons Harry gave for wanting to overrule the advice of his security guys and go - "I don't want to miss the excitement."

That was a bit of a worry. It might also be that between now and early 2008 would be an even worse time than usual to get kidnapped!!!

Because it was for the greater good. He was allowed to help the 101St. Abn. during the "Battle of the Bulge". Why? "Needs of the Army"

Bullshit. We didn't need any helping. no

We, in the big 1-0-1, help OTHER divisions. Not the other way around!

I never thought this would happen. I get to type "NUTS" to UH60 AND I mean it as a complement.

dl021

Fri May 18, 2007 2:02 am

thats cowardly

No.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 2):
...what a farce, not to mention a slap in the face to those who do face true danger.

Not really.....it's unfortunate....but it merely makes the royal and the generals look bad.

There are plenty of non-deployable soldiers stateside who run important posts doing logistics, training and other things that need doing but aren't glamorous or dangerous (and the two aren't necessarily combined).

Quoting Kreze (Reply 7):
But would the Army have become so obsessed with his protection that his role in Iraq would have become overly restricted?

Probably.

in the US Army, there are soldiers fighting who are the sons of very high, very important military generals. Should they be captured, it would be a "big deal".

It's always a security risk.

Remember John McCain during the Viet Nam War? He was the son of a very important admiral, and when he was captured, he was tortured in an attempt to get a confession...

There were discussions because at the time his dad was PACCOM.

The main issue I think is that if it was known he was there he'd attract attention and other British soldiers would needlessly suffer while the terrorists attacked at him. It's a shitty deal, and the British ought to send him over with an assumed name or something and publicize it later, or send him in anyway and deal with the trouble it'll cause. But that's not for him, it's for the public image of not backing down to terrorists.

I'm just glad I'm not the general having to decide if he publicly humiliates the army and the prince or almost assuredly boosts his own casualties by sending him.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

UH60FtRucker

Fri May 18, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 36):
First of all, it's not "we", it's "they". I'm willing to guess that you weren't there in late 1944 when George S. Patton's Third Army helped Gen. Anthony McAuliffe after he told the Germans "Nuts". You should say "They didn't need any helping." Something else, "They didn't need any help" sounds better than "We didn't need any helping".

banghead 

You just don't get it, do you?

I am currently IN the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault).

My comments earlier - clearly meant to be light hearted - was something called esprit-de-corps. You know... pride in my unit and it's famous history???

Quoting Baroque (Reply 41):
I never thought this would happen. I get to type "NUTS" to UH60 AND I mean it as a complement.

...See, NWOrient, Baroque got the joke. Why couldn't you?

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 33):
who was trapped in Bastogne? The, ummmm, 101?

Pff... they weren't trapped. They were fortified and engaged on a multiple axis battlefield.  Wink

-UH60

baroque

Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 43):
Pff... they weren't trapped. They were fortified and engaged on a multiple axis battlefield.

Aha, I must remember that should I ever get into such a situation. I am sure it will work wonders.  Smile  Smile

Actually, in many ways, the weakness of the Germans was indeed that there were a number of roads (axes) and as the weather cleared, all were bad news for them in one way or another. I presume all your glasses remain half full UH60!  Big grin

Cheers

WSOY

Fri May 18, 2007 9:49 pm

Could there be an alternative weekend special ops detachment unit serving nr. Crapchester of recent fame?
"Nukkuessa tulee nälkä" (Nipsu)

allstarflyer

Fri May 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Good questions, both.

I wonder if they'll just send him anyway and not say anything  scratchchin . GWB did that for Thanksgiving one time - think the Brits can quietly pull off sending Harry for just 3-4 months? Perhaps British tabloids could be led to believe he's doing "military maneuvers".

-R
Living the American Dream

Banco

Fri May 18, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 46):
Good questions, both.

Ones which Harry himself is supposed to have rather forcefully asked.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 46):
I wonder if they'll just send him anyway and not say anything

That's the speculation. That at some point they'll pop him off to Afghanistan and not say anything until he gets back.

QANTASforever

Fri May 18, 2007 11:27 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 47):
That at some point they'll pop him off to Afghanistan and not say anything until he gets back.

Well, not now you've said it.  Wink

I'm still quite taken by this excellent point, which as far as I can tell has been somewhat avoided by the British MOD:

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Banco

Fri May 18, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 48):
Well, not now you've said it.

You mean....even nutters around the world listen to every word I say?

Um...on reflection that might not have come out quite the way I wanted it...  Wink

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 48):
I'm still quite taken by this excellent point, which as far as I can tell has been somewhat avoided by the British MOD:

It has been avoided by the MoD, but it has also been a topic of some debate in the media, that exact issue. It's a difficult one, because some of the families who've lost people have said that, others with family still out there think it wise, because (naturally) they don't wish to see them put at increased risk. It would have been much better if the MoD hadn't made the whole thing the subject of speculation in the first place.