mirrodie

Aviation Themed Bar Being Built-planning

Fri May 18, 2007 5:26 am

I do like to work with my hands when I get a chance. So right now I am planning to build an aviation themed bar. I need a place to store the liquor and serve guests but also incorporate my hobby.

I figure I had a bunch of models and AA paraphernalia that I could use, perhaps build shelves into the front of the bar with plexiglass doors in front.

Also, the top table part of the bar, instead of aviation, I am thinking of throwing a model railroad in there (very small of course) to showcase my LIRR stuff.

But I need ideas. Got any? I have a few AA items I can use in the design. Flagship wings, Plaques. Some smaller die cast models. The Concorde seats and flask are off limits though.

Also, if anyone has some duplicate AA items (signs, etc.) they are willing to part with, maybe it could go into the design.

Looking for ideas though. Got any? Maybe I can inset a small LCD screen inlaid into the table top to showcase old aviation movies? Zanely ideas, any of them, throw them out here!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

rikkus67

RE: Aviation Themed Bar Being Built-planning

Fri May 18, 2007 5:41 am

This should actually be in a non-av forum. That said...

I am in the midst of collecting aviation models for my H.O. (1/87 scale) model railroad. I am using a HO scale Faller model of a military terminal, and slightly modifying it. I have been able to find a CRJ-200 in an approximate 1/90 scale, and a Fokker F27 in 1/94 scale. Although not exactly right in size, the difference when down to this scale is negligable.

A good place to find ex-airliner parts for the general public is definitely eBay. From uniforms, badges & time tables to dials, seats, and even a full bathroom...you can find a lot of interesting paraphernalia at that site.

Try a Google or Yahoo search for companies that specialize in aircraft parting-out. I am sure you will find what you are looking for!

Have fun, and good luck!

[Edited 2007-05-17 22:43:48]
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

FlyKev
Crew

Fri May 18, 2007 5:43 am

Its a thought, but perhaps you could trawl ebay for aircraft parts.
There's lots of little pieces such as lights on there, right up to larger things like seats.
If you want some safety cards to use somewhere im sure I can send you the ones I have from DP, they are only collecting dust.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

Daleaholic

Fri May 18, 2007 6:10 am

You could always try your luck and get in contact with American Airlines to see whether or not they would be willing to donate any paraphernalia for you to display in the bar. Anything with American Airlines on... is advertising for them, so I imagine they'd be happy to send you stuff! The same applies for any airline really, if you write to a lot of airlines, one of them is bound to send you something!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Go3Team

Fri May 18, 2007 7:01 am

Have the part where you sit down at be a runway. If you want to get real fancy, you could add some lights to it. To be authentic, make sure the runway numbers are correct.
Yay Pudding!

Superfly

Fri May 18, 2007 7:05 am

Mirrodie:
We already have one here in San Francisco. In fact, there was a New Years In San Fracnsico A.net meet at this place to ring in 2006. It's called the Orbit Room.
I'll post photos when I get home in a few hours.
Bring back the Concorde

TedTAce

Fri May 18, 2007 7:30 am

There was a bar (I forgot the name though I was there a few times) that was in Miami, near the AET's. It was closed down last time I checked. Does anyone know what happened?
This space intentionally left blank

mirrodie

Fri May 18, 2007 9:44 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
We already have one here in San Francisco. In fact, there was a New Years In San Fracnsico A.net meet at this place to ring in 2006. It's called the Orbit Room.

Superfly, I think you misunderstood me. I mean to build something like this

But I'd love to hit that bar in SFO if I could. THere is one in NYC called Idlewild.

Regeardless, I look forward to seeing the photos you have. I need ideas  Wink
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

ScarletHarlot

Fri May 18, 2007 9:59 am

Hey Mario, what about having the backsplash of the sink be safety cards put up like wallpaper and waterproofed somehow?

My office is airplane themed, and I have this lamp on my desk:

I searched eBay for "airplane lamp" and found this and some other neat ones.

You've definitely gotta see if you can get glasses, cutlery, bar tools, etc. with airline logos on. Oh! If you get this quick there's an American Airlines ice scoop up on eBay, with auction ending in 10 minutes, for $5!
But that was when I ruled the world

WrenchBender

Fri May 18, 2007 10:19 am

The glass rack above the bar should be made out of a Rotor Blade. I've seen this done at a few aviation themed bars/pubs.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

ZBBYLW

Fri May 18, 2007 11:41 am

I think the best thing to do would be to contact your local airports maintenance facilities and ask if they have any old props collecting dust I did this and walked away with a few. Including one that I flew, and later (not me flying) had a prop strike and bent. Just contact them and see what they can do, you can even build a clock on the hub of the prop which is really cool.
Keep the shinny side up!

EasternSon

Fri May 18, 2007 10:38 pm

There used to be a bar in Allentown, PA called TK's Flight Lounge that was owned by one of my father's best friends. (ex EAL pilot)

It was attached to The Rose Bowl (bowling alley) and it was absolutely loaded with all sorts of airline and airplane memorabilia. He actually tried to get an old airplane to hang from the ceiling, but the guy who was going to sell it to him found out it was going into a bar and not a hangar, he refused to sell.

He sold the bar and bowling alley about eight years ago, but it may still be there. Look it up, and maybe go out for a visit to get some ideas.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

BCAInfoSys

Fri May 18, 2007 10:49 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):

Oh Lord what a night that was. I get freakin' plastered and then made out with my sister's best friend who was there that night. Man - what a memory that was to wake up to.  drunk   headache 
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

Superfly

Fri May 18, 2007 10:51 pm

BCAInfoSys:
That was a fun night! Big grin
I kicked off 2006 on a good note and 2006 was a wonderful year for me.  yes 
Bring back the Concorde