Derico
Topic Author

Biggest Upset You Ever Saw In A Sporting Match

Sun May 20, 2007 8:10 am

Preferably games you saw in person or on television (or even heard on the radio or the web), of any sport. If it's an unusual or regional sport a brief explanation as to why it is considered such an upset would help.

For me, I still think of the Honduras 2 - 0 Brazil in the 2001 Copa America football quarterfinals. I mean no one on this planet expected that and I don't think I need to explain why.

I remember the United States beating Argentina 3-0 in 1995, which was considered a national catastrophe....But most in Argentina didn't have a clue how much the United States had been improving in "soccer". Conversely, Argentina beat the United States in the 2002 Basketball world championships, and for the first time ever a pro-NBA player Team USA was beaten, at home no less, which stunned people mostly because they did not know how good Argentina really had become in the sport.

Anyways, what else?

ps- I forgot the infamous Colombia 5 - 0 Argentina in Buenos Aires in 1991, the worst defeat in the history of Argentine football. That was a world shocker.

[Edited 2007-05-20 01:13:53]
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

Daleaholic

RE: Biggest Upset You Ever Saw In A Sporting Match

Sun May 20, 2007 8:14 am

For me it's probably when Rochdale beat Coventry 2-0 a few years ago. That day was insane.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

co777er

Sun May 20, 2007 8:20 am

University of Texas (Longhorns) beat the USC (Trojans) in the 2005 Rose Bowl. I guess it wasn't a huge upset, but USC was projected to win by atleast 10!

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 8:22 am

Boise State knocking off Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl was a huge upset, because of the way Boise State won.
For me, the 2003 World Series with the Marlins beating the Yankees was huge too. Didn't see that one coming at all. I was stunned by that.
George Mason's run through the NCAAs last year was big too.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

yowza

Sun May 20, 2007 8:28 am

Greece winning Euro2004 in General was shit and very much an upset, and indeed upsetting.

YOWza

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 8:30 am

One more, not sure how I spazzed this one.

2007 NBA Playoffs, Warriors beat the Mavs in 6 games.

That was one of, if not the biggest upset in NBA Playoff History.

-Copa

PAHS200

Sun May 20, 2007 8:59 am

I was not even alive at the time but I think one of the biggest upsets ever was the 1930 World Cup when Uruguay beat Argentina 4-2.

for more information

http://www.soccerhall.org/history/World_Cup_History.htm

Gunships

Sun May 20, 2007 9:22 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 3):
Boise State knocking off Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl

The greatest football game, collegiate or professional, that I've ever seen.

I live next to Boise and was naturally biased, but I thought the best thing BSU could do would be to lose with some respect. I was just hoping they could put up a fight, and I think a lot of people around here felt the same. Man, were we in for a surprise...

BSU has been living for a long time with the reputation that they couldn't hang with the big dogs. Not only did they hang, they looked good doing it.

Finished off a perfect, unbeaten season.

Looking forward to next season. Go Broncos!

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Gunships (Reply 7):

I live next to Boise and was naturally biased, but I thought the best thing BSU could do would be to lose with some respect. I was just hoping they could put up a fight, and I think a lot of people around here felt the same. Man, were we in for a surprise...

A group of us were up in Boise at the MPC Computers Bowl with Miami vs. Nevada (Miami won  Smile ) and some Boise State fans invited us to their house to watch the game.

All I could say was Wow. I expected Boise to maybe put up a fight, but they just came out swinging. And when Zabransky threw that INT, I thought it was over. Boy was I wrong.

One helluva game.

-Copa

Falcon84

Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 am

In Person? In the early 90's watched Bowling Green beat the snot out of #4 ranked Michigan State in college basketball. They just killed them. MSU did make it to the Sweet 16 that year.

Biggest upset ever seen on TV? No doubt, the 1980 United States upest of the Soviet Union in the Olympic Hockey Semi-Finals. Still, in my mind, the greatest sports' upset of all-time.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Evan767

Sun May 20, 2007 9:35 am

The greatest football game? Please. Try the 2003 Ohio State at Miami Fiesta Bowl. Then we can talk greatest football games.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Falcon84

Sun May 20, 2007 9:38 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 10):

The greatest football game? Please. Try the 2003 Ohio State at Miami Fiesta Bowl. Then we can talk greatest football games.

Maybe because the stakes were higher, but all the Buckeye-haters out there will fry you for that one.

For sheer drama, I think that Boise State-Oklahoma was the greatest finish I've ever seen. Honorable mentions to the OSU-Miami game, the Texas win over USC in the Rose Bowl, and the USC win over Notre Dame two years ago.

And for great games, which this thread is really not about, how 'bout the famous Cal-Stanford game in '82?
Work Right, Fly Hard

carmenlu15

Sun May 20, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting Derico (Thread starter):
Anyways, what else?

When Trinidad & Tobago beat Mexico (2-1 I think) for the last game of the 2006 World Cup qualifiers. Everyone was expecting Mexico to win... and if they had at least tied, we could have classified instead of Trinidad!  hissyfit 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 9:44 am

You can thank Terry Porter for that win.
Worst. Call. Ever.

-Copa

Falcon84

Sun May 20, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 13):
You can thank Terry Porter for that win.
Worst. Call. Ever.

To quote White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen: "Pssst. Please".
Work Right, Fly Hard

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 9:51 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 14):
To quote White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen: "Pssst. Please".

Worst part of that whole game though was when Will Smith broke Willis McHeisman's leg and then got up and made the throat slash gesture while standing over him.
Classy bunch those suckeye players are.
Larry Coker is every bit as responsible though. That game should have never been so close as to hinge on a shit call like it did.
Glad Larry finally got kicked to the curb. He did less with more than anyone I've ever seen.

-Copa

Falcon84

Sun May 20, 2007 9:55 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 15):
Larry Coker is every bit as responsible though. That game should have never been so close as to hinge on a shit call like it did.

Sure. Typical crybaby whining over Miami losing that game. I see the Buckeyes get no credit from you, for physically beating the crap out of the Hurricans the whole game. The Buckeyes were takent too lightly by the 'Canes, who thought they could bully the Bucks as they had every other team that year, but the Bucks were physically superior to the 'Canes that night. It is a credit to the 'Canes that they were still in the game, to be honest, after the physical pounding they took.

Call or no call, the Bucks deserved that win. Miami had another chance to take the game further, and came up short. Such is life.
Work Right, Fly Hard

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 9:58 am

Let's put it this way. The Suckeyes didn't win that game, Miami lost it.
Of course they took them lightly, such was the course for Miami under the Coker Country Club Regime.
What's Mo Clarett doing these days anyway? busting rocks at the state pen?

And in 2009 or 2010, when Miami heads up to Horsecrap Stadium, I can't wait to see the Cheateyes get curb stomped. I'll be at the game.

-Copa

Gunships

Sun May 20, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 8):
I thought it was over.

I thought it was over about 25 times that night.

The greatest football game?

The greatest game I've ever seen.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 11):
For sheer drama

Just like Copa said earlier, the final outcome wasn't as shocking as the way they got there.

fxramper

Sun May 20, 2007 10:15 am

I was very young. Watched the Houston Oilers blow a 35 point lead to the Buffalo Bills in the AFC championship game.

There was one bad call that should have gone Houston's way with Don Beebe runing out of bounds first, then back in play to catch a touchdown.

IMHO, if you blow a that big of a lead, you don't deserve to win.  no 

Falcon84

Sun May 20, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 17):

So? What's that got to do what went on that night? Nothing? Clarrett was huge in that game. I could go on about how many former Miami players ended up on a police blotter, but what would that prove? Nothing.

Buckeyes earned that win. They out-hustled Miami; they out-physicaled them. They outcoached them. It was a great game. Buckeyes won. Amazing, years later, you're still pissed about it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):

Buckeyes earned that win. They out-hustled Miami; they out-physicaled them. They outcoached them. It was a great game. Buckeyes won. Amazing, years later, you're still pissed about it.

In the end, maybe it's not worth it. It was a shitty call, but in the past 25 years, Miami has 5 Natl. Titles. How many does OSU have??
Can't wait for the Miami-tOSU game though. Going to be a curb-stomping by Miami.

-Copa

Evan767

Sun May 20, 2007 10:48 am

Let's put it this way. The Suckeyes didn't win that game, Miami lost it.

Keep on crying....

Uhmm, what does that have to do with the game? At the time of the game, he was amazing, and isn't that what we are talking about? You better watch out when he gets outta prison....

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 22):
Keep on crying....

So are you a suckeye fan too?

-copa

USAFHummer

Sun May 20, 2007 10:54 am

Agreed...BSU-OU was one for the history books...I remember watching it, and it was around 1 AM east coast time when all the crazy plays began towards the end of regulation...it was hard for me to resist yelling (and thus waking up others in the house) in shock and surprise as BSU pulled out one trick after another to beat the Sooners...

As for games in person...I was at the game in Jacksonville about 4 years ago where the Jaguars were playing the Saints, and the Saints were down by 7 at the end of the game, and their last ditch effort to score as time ran out resulted in a Cal-Stanford like series of laterals that ended up with the Saints scoring a touchdown to come within 1...then, unbelievably, John Carney shanked the extra point and missed it, costing the Saints the chance to take it into overtime...

[Edited 2007-05-20 03:56:01]
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Falcon84

Sun May 20, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 21):
It was a shitty call,

And the Buckeyes didn't make the call, did they? So, why are you bitter at them? Would you have preferred that they had said "Oh, gee, that was a bad call, we'll give the game to Miami?". Would that have stopped your whining? The ref made the call, the Buckeyes took advantage of it. Just as your precious 'Canes would have done the same freaking thing, so why cry about it?

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 23):
So are you a suckeye fan too?

Jeez. Grow up already.
Work Right, Fly Hard

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 11:04 am

5 Natl titles in the past 25 years to 1? for the Suckeyes.

That's enough to alleviate any animosity I suppose.

-Copa

Falcon84

Sun May 20, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 26):

I guess you can't grow up. Amazing.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Evan767

Sun May 20, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 26):
Natl titles in the past 25 years to 1? for the Suckeyes.

COOL thanks for that totally random information.

LTU932

Sun May 20, 2007 11:23 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):
Greece winning Euro2004 in General was shit and very much an upset, and indeed upsetting.

We agree.

Signed,
Portugal

A few big upsets I consider one of the greatest was, for example, when Argentina lost 1:0 against Cameroon in the inaugural match of Italy 1990. The other one would be Sénégal's 1:0 victory against France in the inaugural match of the 2002 World Cup.

It's curious though. If a defending world champion loses against an African team in an inaugural match of a World Cup, the African team will at least make the quaterfinals. Sénégal and Cameroon have proven this with their victories.

Falcon84

Sun May 20, 2007 11:27 am

Soccer doesn't count.

Signed,

The U.S.  Wink
Work Right, Fly Hard

ltbewr

Sun May 20, 2007 11:49 am

Like many Americans of a certain age, the 1980 Winter Olympics Ice Hockey win of the USA team vs. the USSR team is regarded as the greatest sports upset I ever saw. Like many millions of Americans, I watched this highly anticipated match.
As is other great sports upsets, national emotions and politics were overwhelming. This was Democratic America vs. Commie Soviets. A team of college students vs. de facto pros (covered as members of the military)(note: many players on both teams would end up playing in pro leagues, including the NHL in the following years). Only a few months before, the American Embassy was seized by Islamic radicals in Iran. The American economy was terrible, with interest rates for loans as record high rates and a lot of blue collar jobs lost. American was in a deep malaise. For the USSR team, they were under great pressure to win for their Motherland, they were expected to win, they had to show the Soviet Union was superior to the Capitalistic West. In effect this was war by other means. And the USA won that Battle that night, and a few days later, play and beat Sweden for the Gold Medal.

dc9northwest

Sun May 20, 2007 12:16 pm

To get this back on topic...

There was this match in October 2000 between two Romanian First Division teams (football). The home team, Dinamo Bucharest, was considered the best team and was a favorite for winning the championship. The second, Foresta Suceava was a newly-promoted team that had never won away in this league.
The score was 3-0 Dinamo at halftime, and 4-0 in the 62nd minute. Foresta won 4-5. Quite an upset.

There's a video on youtube if you're interested.

seb146

Sun May 20, 2007 1:29 pm

In person: when the Spokane Chiefs beat the Portland Winterhawks 9-1 in Portland this past February. The Hawks fans started cheering the Cheifs last two goals.

On the television: When the Blue Jays beat Atlanta in the 1992 World Series. I was happy to see the Jays win because so much media attention was focused on how great Atlanta was and how the Braves were "Americas Team" and all that. Then, they lost to a Canadian team! I got into a shouting match with a bunch of redneck lumber mill workers over it too. I cut and run. One petite me against three of them? Ummmm.... no thank you.

Then, the next year when Vince Carter hit a home run in the 9th to beat the Phillies at SkyDome, that was cool too.

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.

casinterest

Sun May 20, 2007 1:54 pm

1997 FSU VS UF College Football, Flordia which had lost 3 games in the season already,. took top ranked FSU down in the swamp, in very close game punctuated by a quick last 2 minute drive to the endzone and subseqeut iterception.
Awesome game. Saw it from the 10th row North Endzone.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

copaair737

Sun May 20, 2007 1:56 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 33):
Then, the next year when Vince Carter hit a home run in the 9th to beat the Phillies at SkyDome, that was cool too.

Joe Carter, not Vince Carter. Vince Carter plays basketball for the NJ Nets.

saxdiva

Sun May 20, 2007 2:31 pm

UCLA 13
USC 9

Still makes me smile when I think of how the stadium erupted on Eric Mc Neal's interception....

Duff44

Sun May 20, 2007 2:49 pm

Some of the ones I remember:

- Patriots 20, Rams 17, Super Bowl XXXVI
- Red Sox coming back from a 3-0 deficit to win the best-of-seven series in the 2004 ALCS
- Notre Dame wins the 1979 Cotton Bowl 35-34, after trailing Houston 34-12 with only 7:37 left (seen on highlight footage)

Some from motor sports:

- Olivier Panis winning the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix
- Nelson Piquet winning the 1991 Canadian Grand Prix when Nigel Mansell - who had led the entire race to that point - broke on the last lap
- Derrike Cope winning the 1990 Daytona 500 when Dale Earnhardt blew a tire on the last lap

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 31):
And the USA won that Battle that night, and a few days later, play and beat Sweden for the Gold Medal.

They beat Finland... but who's counting. USA! USA! Big grin
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

ZKSUJ

Sun May 20, 2007 4:24 pm

For me it felt the worst in 1999, when the NZ All Blacks lost the Rugby World Cup Semi Final to France

MD-90

Sun May 20, 2007 4:46 pm

In person?

When Ron Zook got Croomed and MSU beat Florida in 2004. Florida, ranked 20th or 21st or so, was dominated the entire game.

bwest

Sun May 20, 2007 4:54 pm

The match that nearly gave me a heart attack was not even a very important one. It was a "friendly" soccer game between Belgium and Holland, must be around 10 years ago now. The Belgian team the team was criticized heavy for terrible blunders and had just changed trainer. Everybody expected another humiliation, but the match was incredible, very intense, non stop action. The Dutch went from being behind at 0-2 to 2-2, then Belgium took the lead again, 3-2... then 3-3, 4-3 and finally 4-4. I remember one Dutch goal, where the player went around the Belgian goalkeeper. Then stopped the ball just before the goal, put his foot on it and just looked around... and then gave it a very very weak push over the line. Horrible, nearly threw the TV out of the window  Smile  Smile
I love my Airport Job! :)

Femme

Sun May 20, 2007 6:32 pm

1988 FA Cup Final - Liverpool were defeated 1 -0 by Wimbledon, Lawrie Sanchez scoring the only goal

1970's When non-league Hereford Town knocked the mighty Newcastle United out of the FA Cup Ronnie Radford scoring the winner.

(With a little help from my Husband !!)

Smile
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

VHVXB

Sun May 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 38):
For me it felt the worst in 1999, when the NZ All Blacks lost the Rugby World Cup Semi Final to France

hmm will it happen again???

Pyrex

Sun May 20, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 29):
Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):

We agree.

Signed,
Portugal

Unfortunately true.  frown 

How can anyone forget the Champion's League Final between Bayern Munich and Manchester United a few years ago? Bayern was up 1-0 during almost the entire game and Manchester manages to score 2 goals in compensation time. I don't think I have ever seen so many Germans cry in my life.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

vikkyvik

Mon May 21, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 37):
- Red Sox coming back from a 3-0 deficit to win the best-of-seven series in the 2004 ALCS

checkmark 

The absolute best comeback I have ever seen. 4 games in a row, with two of those games going to many extra innings (with one ending up at 5 hours, 49 minutes). And the Sox had lost 19-8 in Game 3!

Of course, I may or may not be slightly biased.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Confuscius

Mon May 21, 2007 2:10 am

I didn't see it but read about it. I was only an infant then.  Wink

Androcles survives Circus Maximus.

Ain't I a stinker?

bristolflyer

Mon May 21, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 43):
How can anyone forget the Champion's League Final between Bayern Munich and Manchester United a few years ago? Bayern was up 1-0 during almost the entire game and Manchester manages to score 2 goals in compensation time.

That was amazing, and I am by no means a Man U fan. The Bayern fans were gutted.

England 5 Germany 1 was a pretty big upset as well. Not for us English though  rotfl 
Fortune favours the brave

dan2002

Mon May 21, 2007 3:41 am

Not exactly an upset per se, but I think it's fitting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240831110
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

airtran737

Mon May 21, 2007 3:45 am

Rocky Balboa earning a draw with Apollo Creed.

Seriously though,

1995 Stanley Cup Finals, New Jersey Devils swept the Detroit Red Wings. The Wings were heavily favored, but they could not solve the neutral zone trap that the Devils ran. It was a heartbreaking series for me.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Longhornmaniac

Mon May 21, 2007 4:42 am

Laughable. No game has been more hyped, lived up and exceeded said hype, and had more on the line than the 2006 Rose Bowl between Texas and USC. (Just about) Everybody but the Texas fans saw this one as a David vs. Goliath type match up. Of course, we WERE right. Complete with one of the finest comebacks in recent memory (certainly not the biggest, but it was a fine one, against the "best team of all time"  sarcastic  Wink , and the three best players in college football.

BSU-OU was a close second, in my eyes, but the atmosphere factors into the "greatness" and the Rose Bowl definitely takes the cake on that one.

As far as biggest upset:

I don't really think BSU-OU gets that one (though it is close) just because OU had a real up and down year. BSU deserves mad props, but I don't think it was the biggest.

Though I didn't see it live, I have seen the Miracle on Ice, and I have to tell you, nothing comes close.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron