LHMark

NFL-ers Mount Eloquent, Strong Defense Of Vick.

Wed May 23, 2007 5:39 am

How to come off as an A-hole while trying to defend a fellow A-hole in the media.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...investigatio.ap/index.html?cnn=yes
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

WellHung

RE: NFL-ers Mount Eloquent, Strong Defense Of Vick.

Wed May 23, 2007 6:18 am

Good for Vick. This is the guy I'd want to get my back, too. "'Everybody' is doing it..."

aa61hvy

Wed May 23, 2007 6:25 am

Portis is a Redskin what else would you expect from that organization?
Go big or go home

srbmod

Wed May 23, 2007 6:38 am

Someone get the GM of the Deadskins on the phone and see what he'd give the Falcons for Vick so he can be on the same team as these clowns.

Personally, I hope that the reports that Vick's name is on some evidence collected in the investigation (I wonder if which name he used, Michael Vick or Ron Mexico?) is true and he gets charged in regards to this case. He's already on a short leash with the Falcons' owner and Blank (along with Rich McKay) probably trying to figure out a way to save face (especially after trading away their backup plan) and get rid of this guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Vick's the next player to really be made an example of by Goodell's new NFL Personal Code of Conduct, which already nailed Pacman Jones for a year and Chris Henry for 8 games.

ltbewr

Wed May 23, 2007 7:00 am

What gets to me is that Michael Vick may get into more trouble for allowing (illegal) dog fights on his property and knowing about it than if he had beat up his wife/girlfriend or some guy. Far too many people take more umbrige over the abuse of animals than of humans.
If there is the evidence that he did knowingly allowed such dog fights on his property and is convicted, then he should be be booted from the NFL for a significant number of games.

copaair737

Wed May 23, 2007 7:15 am

Portis made a total ass of himself. its one thing to think that, but to tell the media it?
Wow.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

AirCop

Wed May 23, 2007 7:42 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 5):
Portis made a total ass of himself. its one thing to think that, but to tell the media it?
Wow.

Perhaps to much money, makes Portis out of touch with reality? Then again didn't he come from the University of Miami?

WellHung

Wed May 23, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 3):
Someone get the GM of the Deadskins on the phone and see what he'd give the Falcons for Vick so he can be on the same team as these clowns.

Not much. I'm pretty sure the foreskins have mortgaged all their draft picks for the next 10 years to put together this incorrigible and mediocre bunch.

srbmod

Wed May 23, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
What gets to me is that Michael Vick may get into more trouble for allowing (illegal) dog fights on his property and knowing about it than if he had beat up his wife/girlfriend or some guy. Far too many people take more umbrige over the abuse of animals than of humans.

Let's just say this is just the latest in a line of incidents revolving around #7.

The water bottle with a false bottom incident @ MIA
The "dirty bird" he gave to home fans after a loss last November.
The photo that circulated around the Internet last Summer showing him with a blunt in his hand.
The "Ron Mexico" herpes lawsuit which he settled out of court (referring back to the above mentioned photo, he also had visible herpes sores on his mouth as well).

copaair737

Wed May 23, 2007 8:30 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 6):
Then again didn't he come from the University of Miami?

Sure he did, but what does that have to do with anything?
It wouldn't matter if he went to Norfolk State, Miami, or Utah STate, the comments he made were retarded.

AirCop

Wed May 23, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 9):
Sure he did, but what does that have to do with anything?

And this comment is coming from someone who called Fresno State as Felony State.  bomb 

The University of Miami has a well documented history of recruiting less than outstanding citizens to play football for them. (and if they couldn't play football they wouldn't have been admitted into school) , which as a result was one of the reasons why Mr. Coker was canned as head coach after this past season. If they caused problems as Miami, for some the history of problems with authorities has continued in the NFL.

copaair737

Wed May 23, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 10):

And this comment is coming from someone who called Fresno State as Felony State. bomb

The University of Miami has a well documented history of recruiting less than outstanding citizens to play football for them. (and if they couldn't play football they wouldn't have been admitted into school) , which as a result was one of the reasons why Mr. Coker was canned as head coach after this past season. If they caused problems as Miami, for some the history of problems with authorities has continued in the NFL

Fresno State has its own share of problems that would need another thread entirely to talk about fully.
Murder coverups and the like.
Mr. Coker got shitcanned because he couldn't coach, not because his recruits were of less than unsavory character.
And to say Miami is the only school that recruits thugs is laughable.
What about Florida State? what about the Suckeyes? What about Fresno State? How about Montana State? 10 or so of the Bobcat players are on trial for drugs and/or murder, and one coach is on trial for meth dealing. And Miami is the only one with problems?
The list goes on and on. Even Joe Pa in Penn State recruits trouble makers.
Its not the game of character, its the game of football.

Confuscius

Wed May 23, 2007 11:54 am

What about Florida State?

You mean Free Shoes University?
Ain't I a stinker?

copaair737

Wed May 23, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 12):
What about Florida State?

You mean Free Shoes University?

Thanks for illustrating my point.
Not to mention the dynamic duo of Ernie Sims and AJ Nicholson.
When Nicholson got arrested for beating his Girlfriend this past week, you didn't see anyone saying "What do you expect, hes a Seminole."
Some people are just jealous of the Canes success.

deltagator

Wed May 23, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 13):
Some people are just jealous of the Canes success.

Perhaps (though that success has been diminishing as of late) but UM has a long history of recruiting thugs and criminals. Hell, they've even relished it under Jimmy Johnson and Butch Davis.

They aren't the only ones being bad in the college ranks but they sure as Hell are the poster child.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 3):
He's already on a short leash with the Falcons' owner and Blank

I've never liked the Falcons but I wish Arthur Blank would get them to clean up their act. These jackasses paint ATL in a bad light (no comments from the peanut gallery folks) as being a total thug loving city. Perhaps the southside loves Vick, his herpes, and dog fights but I'd dare say a huge portion of the Atlanta population think he is a disaster and disgrace to the city. At least he isn't his gun toting brother.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

copaair737

RE: NFL-ers Mount Eloquent, Strong Defense Of Vick

Wed May 23, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 14):
Butch Davis

How?
He, if anything, cleaned up Pinky Errickson's mess.
And if you are thinking of the 91 Cotton Bowl massacre on Texas, it was under Errickson as well.

When was the last time the Gayturds beat Miami?

deltagator

Wed May 23, 2007 1:03 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about Erickson. He's a bit shady. Davis wasn't nearly as bad as Johnson and I of course forgot good old Howard Schnellenberger (sic?) as well.

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 15):

Irrelevant to this conversation but sadly it has been a while.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

copaair737

Wed May 23, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 16):
Oh yeah, forgot about Erickson. He's a bit shady. Davis wasn't nearly as bad as Johnson and I of course forgot good old Howard Schnellenberger (sic?) as well.

Erickson's entire problem was he was a huge alcoholic. Free reign under him.
Schnelly was who started the foundation for the program.
Davis was a horrible gameday coach, but a great recruiter.

Oh, and last time the gates won was in 1985.

slider

Fri May 25, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 10):
The University of Miami has a well documented history of recruiting less than outstanding citizens to play football for them. (and if they couldn't play football they wouldn't have been admitted into school) , which as a result was one of the reasons why Mr. Coker was canned as head coach after this past season. If they caused problems as Miami, for some the history of problems with authorities has continued in the NFL.

It's not so much a university as it is a lawless football factory.

Portis is a moron. A millionaire moron thanks to one quality of being a good athlete and that's about it.

Vick is a moron too.

srbmod

Fri May 25, 2007 5:44 am

Perhaps the southside loves Vick, his herpes, and dog fights but I'd dare say a huge portion of the Atlanta population think he is a disaster and disgrace to the city. At least he isn't his gun toting brother.

Hey, I live on the southside and I don't support him......  hissyfit 

I've never liked the Falcons but I wish Arthur Blank would get them to clean up their act.

I just wonder how screwed up things would be if the Clampetts I mean the Smiths, still owned the team.

Pope

Fri May 25, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 15):

I think the only "turds" that existed the state of Florida during the '06-'07 football season were in Miami and Tallahassee. UF seemed to do pretty well thank you. (Ask OSU what they think.)

When UM wins NCAA Championships in Football and Basketball (back to back) then come and talk to me. Until then it seems that Miami fans should STFU and worry about no embarrassing themselves another year.

God I miss football season.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

allstarflyer

Fri May 25, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 20):
UF seemed to do pretty well thank you.

Guess that loss on their record kind of taints them among other champs. In fact, both of UF's championships came with a blemished record, in contrast to FSU and Miami. That must stink.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 2):
Portis is a Redskin what else would you expect from that organization?

We couldn't have said it any better!

Signed,
Michael Irvin, Nate Newton and Leon Lett

-R
Living the American Dream

deltagator

Fri May 25, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 19):
I just wonder how screwed up things would be if the Clampetts I mean the Smiths, still owned the team.

The folks that ran the Falcons as a 35 year old expansion team? Hmm...me thinks Vick would be running a dog fighting, drugg running, and prostitution ring if he was free to do anything he wanted. Of course they would have not spent any money, drafted even crappier players, and traded away folks that they would have screwed up though shine elsewhere.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 21):
Guess that loss on their record kind of taints them among other champs.

Right. Because nobody else has won a championship with one loss.  sarcastic 

In fact, both of UF's championships came with a blemished record, in contrast to FSU and Miami.

BFD. You sound like UNLV bitching they should have been national champs back in the 90s because Duke had 5+ losses when they beat them in the NCAA final for their first loss. You sir are a maroon.

That must stink.

Not really. We're the better team in the state while FSU continues to slide downhill under Bowden's encroaching senility and UM is still a ways from getting anywhere given the damage Coker did. I dare say Pope and I are quite happy with the results and the only stink we smell is coming from Tallahassee and Coral Gables.

deltagator

Fri May 25, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 19):
Hey, I live on the southside and I don't support him......

You know I meant a certain contingent that lives south of I-20 but inside 285 who thinks any criticism of Vick is just another case of The Man trying to hold him down. I'm suprised Ludacris has written some sort of rap song about it yet.  Wink

Pope

Fri May 25, 2007 10:35 pm

Guess that loss on their record kind of taints them among other champs. In fact, both of UF's championships came with a blemished record, in contrast to FSU and Miami. That must stink.

There are no style points in football. A win is a win and a National Championship is a National Championship. If anything, Florida's National Championships have come without the air of cheating and NCAA violations that have surrounded UM and FSU's.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

When either UM or FSU can do what we've done in the past 2 years feel free to rub it in my face. Hell, call me when Miami can consistently sell out home games. In a metropolitan area the size of Miami, it speaks volumes when you can't convince 70,000 people to come watch you play. Heck even when Miami played a cross town rival in FIU, you couldn't get 40,000 people in all of Miami to show up (perhaps you should bill it as an Ultimate Fighting event next time to get more people).

In contrast we routinely get 50,000 people at our spring scrimmage.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

dl021

Fri May 25, 2007 11:24 pm

Mike Vick has had 6 years to develop some consistency in his play. He hasn't.

He's had 6 years to dig himself deep into the crap that he's amidst right now, and it's looking more and more like we should have met Schaubs price because I'm afraid we're going to have our superstar can't-hit-two-passes-in-a-row quarterback suspended for half the season by the new commissioner who needs to be taken seriously.

If Vick wants to be a real contender then he's going to have to figure out how to prevent this season from being Galloways opportunity to shine.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

yowza

Fri May 25, 2007 11:30 pm

Michael Vick gave Herpes to a chick and then cleverly decided to use the fake name Ron Mexico in court. After said stupidity the NFL allowed him to keep playing, what makes you think they won't allow him again? After all this is the NFL one of the prerequisites for eligibility is a criminal record.

YOWza

767Lover

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:43 am

These jackasses paint ATL in a bad light (no comments from the peanut gallery folks) as being a total thug loving city.

Not to mention the fact that the Ray Lewis incident happened here as well.

The NFL needs to clean up its act.

My husband has been following the Vick dog fighting story on other forums and you wouldn't believe the number of Vick apologists. It has deteriorated into yet another racial issue.

UAXDXer

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:49 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 26):
Michael Vick gave Herpes to a chick and then cleverly decided to use the fake name Ron Mexico in court.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

What a TOOL!!!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

102IAHexpress

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:49 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 27):
It has deteriorated into yet another racial issue.

That’s because it is mostly a racial issue.
It is true that dog fighting is indeed a black mark in African American subculture, but I don’t see how its any worse than White America going hunting on the weekends. It’s also funny how ESPN is trying to make this an animal rights issue, while at the same time broadcasting bull and bronco riding on ESPN2.
And there is that little small detail of Vick being charged with absolutely nothing, much less being convicted of anything.

UAXDXer

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:58 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 29):
It is true that dog fighting is indeed a black mark in African American subculture, but I don't see how its any worse than White America going hunting on the weekends.

Does this African American Subculture eat the dogs after they are mangled after the fight? If not than their is no comparison.

It's also funny how ESPN is trying to make this an animal rights issue, while at the same time broadcasting bull and bronco riding on ESPN2.

Once again... how many mangled bulls and broncos do you see on ESPN. Your claim at hypocracy is very weak at best.

And there is that little small detail of Vick being charged with absolutely nothing, much less being convicted of anything.

No but he sure manages to bring a lot of attention his way charged/convicted or not.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

102IAHexpress

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:02 am

Dog fighting is wrong. Hunting innocent animals for sport is also as wrong. Period.

767Lover

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:14 am

That�s because it is mostly a racial issue.
It is true that dog fighting is indeed a black mark in African American subculture, but I don�t see how its any worse than White America going hunting on the weekends.

Yes, dog fighting is found in AfAm subculture but that's not the racial angle I was referring to. I was referring to contention that "everyone is trying to do whatever they can to bring down a black quarterback because they don't want to see black people succeed."

102IAHexpress

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:37 am

Well, there will always be some people who do not want black people to succeed. But I don’t know how much of role that notion plays into this situation. But I will say that the media does tend to single out black athletes for things they have allegedly done. Partly because their ratings information suggests that their largest demographic enjoys watching those types of segments.

In any event I have strong reservations about NFL executives and the media ruining the careers of black athletes for things they have allegedly done. If Pacman Jones is as guilty as everyone says he is, then why hasn’t a court of law convicted him of anything during his NFL career? Call me old school, but this is still America, and Jones and Vick are innocent until proven otherwise by a court of law. And when people in the media or in the business community think otherwise, then that’s when the race issue should be legitimately brought up.

deltagator

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:11 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 27):
It has deteriorated into yet another racial issue.

The hilarious thing about it though is dog fighting is something that both low class black and white folks come together for.  Wink

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 33):
If Pacman Jones is as guilty as everyone says he is, then why hasn�t a court of law convicted him of anything during his NFL career?

It's called money. Do you honestly think OJ didn't kill Nicole and Ron? Of course he did but money helped get that acquittal. Had that been D'Shonte Ferguson from Compton he would have been hung from the closest pole at high noon within 2 weeks.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 32):
I was referring to contention that "everyone is trying to do whatever they can to bring down a black quarterback because they don't want to see black people succeed."

Yep, we are all part of that "vast whitey conspiracy" to bring down the brothers playing our dignified sport of foosball.  Wink

ltbewr

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:36 pm

Vick may be starting to pay a price for his alleged involvement in illegal dog fighting - ESPN said this morning that Air Tran is terminating it's endorsement contract with him. Apparently there is an active Federal investigation under way as to major groups of dog fighters, but the nature of and the people participing in these activities may make it near impossible to get the degree of evidence to get a solid case against anyone, including Vick. Infomants can end up very dead if they rat, and will get them even in prison.

102IAHexpress

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Correction: Air Tran did not terminate his contract. His contract expired on May 8th. ESPN may be reporting that his contract was terminated, but in ESPN fashion they would be wrong.

dl021

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:31 am

but I don�t see how its any worse than White America going hunting on the weekends

In my state both black and white hunters go out and hunt for sport and meat. They also perform a needed function since there are too many deer without enough natural predators for the eco-system to feed. Would you rather they starve to death?

It�s also funny how ESPN is trying to make this an animal rights issue, while at the same time broadcasting bull and bronco riding on ESPN2.
And there is that little small detail of Vick being charged with absolutely nothing

Rodeo sports don't generally invlove the animal being mistreated. I'd say the cowboys and clowns get the rough end of the stick.

As far as Vick, he's under investigation. Are you saying that he's not guilty or that he's not chargeable.

[

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 31):
Hunting innocent animals for sport is also as wrong.

Refer back to my earlier post....but dog fighting is definitely harming a domesticated animal for no reason other than some displaced bloodlust. There's a serious difference between dog fighting and deer hunting.

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 33):
Call me old school, but this is still America, and Jones and Vick are innocent until proven otherwise by a court of law.

They are innocent in the eyes of the law, but have they apparently violated our societal laws or mores? It sure looks like it. Does that make them guilty..no...but it sure doesn't do much for their aura of innocence. Let's not be disengenuous here.....they both did what they're accused of doing. The question is now will they get away with it.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 35):
ESPN said this morning that Air Tran is terminating it's endorsement contract with him.

I did not hear it that way, but I'll bet they don't renew their contract with him.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

CastleIsland

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:38 am

The real issue here is why the Falcons let Matt Schaub go... duck 
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Mir

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:52 am

It is true that dog fighting is indeed a black mark in African American subculture, but I don’t see how its any worse than White America going hunting on the weekends.

As much as it pains me to defend the practice of hunting, I'd bet good money that the animals that are killed by hunters go a lot quicker and a lot more quietly than dogs in a dogfight.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

102IAHexpress

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 37):
In my state both black and white hunters go out and hunt for sport and meat. They also perform a needed function since there are too many deer without enough natural predators for the eco-system to feed. Would you rather they starve to death?

Hunting for sport exists in African American culture as well as white culture this is true, but in white culture it is much much more prevalent (partly because hunting is not a cheap sport).
And three are some parts of the country where there is an overpopulation of deer, but are you arguing that once the deer population returns to equilibrium will you support a ban on deer hunting for sport?

Rodeo sports don't generally invlove the animal being mistreated. I'd say the cowboys and clowns get the rough end of the stick.

Umm…How do you think they get them to buck for 8 seconds? I’m very partial to my genitals, and I’m sure bucking bulls and broncos are as well.

Refer back to my earlier post....but dog fighting is definitely harming a domesticated animal for no reason other than some displaced bloodlust. There's a serious difference between dog fighting and deer hunting.

There is a difference in that I suppose deer hunting is crueler. Let’s not forget that for generations man has bread these animals to kill. Not that I condone that, but I’m not sure why all of a sudden it’s an animal rights issue when African Americans partake in dog fighting, when whites have been doing it for hundreds of years.

Quoting Mir (Reply 39):
As much as it pains me to defend the practice of hunting, I'd bet good money that the animals that are killed by hunters go a lot quicker and a lot more quietly than dogs in a dogfight.

Depends if you’re a good shot or not. A good hunter who practices his marksmanship may be able to bring down his prey with a single shot which would indeed be quick and painless. Although many hunters do not refine their craft and will have to dispense of more rounds in order to bring down their prey, which could be slow and painful for the animal.

767Lover

Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:57 am

There's a serious difference between dog fighting and deer hunting.

Absolutely. The "bait" dogs are basically made to be completely defenseless (blinded, nails removed, etc) and then used as a punching bag for the fight dogs. Don't try to google images of this because it will make you sick to your stomach to see the condition of these dogs.