travelin man

And The Best Tourists In The World Are.....

Fri May 25, 2007 6:08 am

...the Japanese ("polite and tidy"), according to a survey of European hotel managers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18810084

Surprisingly enough Americans are second, and the Swiss ("quiet and considerate") are third!

The worst tourist rankings are:
1. France
2. India
3. China
4. Russia
5. UK

Other highlights:
Britons were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping.
Americans were the worst dressed (followed by the British).
Germans are the least generous.
Americans are the biggest spenders.

Sabena332

RE: And The Best Tourists In The World Are.....

Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting Travelin man (Thread starter):
Britons were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior

Probably because they are mostly drunk all day while on holidays.  Wink

Probably followed by the Germans.  Silly

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

FlyingColours

Fri May 25, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 1):
Probably because they are mostly drunk all day while on holidays

I resent that!

I wasn't drunk when I got off the plane in AMS  Smile

(Although I was very hung over when I went home).

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

ozglobal

Fri May 25, 2007 8:17 am

Hmmm... Doesn't state what the criteria are; it's difficult to argue when you don't know the argument.

Paris has many times more tourists than any other destination on the planet. I live here and I travel frequently, so I know something about tourists, seeing hundreds daily.

Observations:

Americans: loudest, worst dressed, 'largest' and most likely to make vacuous comments (hard but true); However, they tend to tip in Europe, even when it's not expected. What's more, the ones who come to France these days are no longer of the redneck variety, as FoxNews has told them that would be un-American, and are at least open and interested. There are also some (rare) well dressed, hidden, French-speaking Americans who blend in and are not easily detected.

Germans: Handle their vacations abroad like military operations; dress like Americans, but with more pockets and in more subdued colours. Knowledgeable and deeply committed to hunting down culture.

Brits: wide variety; Gentlemen and Women, down to irredeemable yobs.

Australians; seem to outnumber the Americans these days. Quieter and less easily identified (except during major sporting events).

Japanese: Ubiquitous, polite, get around in 'platoons', middle aged ones usually dressed in 1950's American 'vacation gear'. Other sort: super cool, trendy couples and singles.

Russians: Nouveau riche; boozy, installed in hip louges and bars; sometimes rednecks.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

ANCFlyer

Fri May 25, 2007 8:23 am

...the Japanese ("polite and tidy"), according to a survey of European hotel managers.

Rude, Obnoxious and Pestering according to ANCFlyer based on experiences in Hawaii - several times.

Surprisingly enough Americans are second

Why surprising? We aren't all arrogant asses . . . .  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LH526
Crew

Fri May 25, 2007 8:42 am

3. China

yes 
I second that! Point is, most chinese simplay don't knwo how to behave on an airplane and give a shit about the crew onboard and the authorities on the ground! Most of the chinese I experienced are rude, impolite and selfish! .. they simpla lack experience in many fields, mostly travel attitude and obeyance of staff and authorities!

1. France

no 
Can't say that! I met french tourists who are the exact copy of Mr Hulot in Jacques Tatis marvelous film. Nice, interesting and polite people with a keen interest in foreign cultures.

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

MCOflyer

Fri May 25, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):

Why surprising? We aren't all arrogant asses . . . . wink

Very true. I've seen some ignorant tourist and can tell you its everyone. We'd have to be perfect in order not to be ignorant. I'm sorry if i offend anyone.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Springbok747

Fri May 25, 2007 10:18 am

Wow..surprised not to see Aussies and Kiwis on that "worst" list. Just go to Fiji during the holidays...then you'll know what I'm talking about.
אני תומך בישראל

bill142

Fri May 25, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 7):
Wow..surprised not to see Aussies and Kiwis on that "worst" list. Just go to Fiji during the holidays...then you'll know what I'm talking about.

According to alot of articles I've been reading latley we're not seen as friendly as we once were. Fiji is baiscally the Australian equivalent of Cancun. Full of rambunctious louts!.

AC773

Fri May 25, 2007 10:29 am

Britons were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping.

rotfl  Well, at least we know KaddyUK isn't alone in his stinginess.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

jaysit

Fri May 25, 2007 10:42 am

I guess the nasty Indian tourists must be the same ones who clog up the loos on Air India flights.

According to the Times of India, Indian tourists were described as "loud, untidy and miserly."

I can see that.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AsstChiefMark

Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 am

Why were the French the #1 worst tourists?

Are they pissed off that people outside of France don't speak French? Or are they pissed off that no one can understand their crappy English? Or are they pissed off at all the "No Smoking" signs found outside of France? Or are they just generally pissed off?
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

HAWK21M

Fri May 25, 2007 11:32 am

Japanese Def....They follow Instructions Well  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Boeing4ever

Fri May 25, 2007 1:12 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 3):
Americans: loudest, worst dressed, 'largest' and most likely to make vacuous comments (hard but true); However, they tend to tip in Europe, even when it's not expected. What's more, the ones who come to France these days are no longer of the redneck variety, as FoxNews has told them that would be un-American, and are at least open and interested. There are also some (rare) well dressed, hidden, French-speaking Americans who blend in and are not easily detected.

Actually, while there are idiots who pound on France for the sake of showing how "American" they are...the advice to avoid France (namely Paris, not the rest of France) and it's group of snobbish, arrogant, judgemental, people is not without some merit.  Yeah sure

Being in Chicago, we get all sorts of foreign tourists...the idea is to be as weloming and accomidating as possible. They are in a new situation that they are not used to...with different customs. Besides, a healthy tourist industry is a huge plus. We try to reduced the spoiled, whiney, bitching.

People, Europe is NOT Paris. There are so many undiscovered tourist destinations other than Paris...with a much more courteous and professional population as well.

It's a continent rich in culture and history...so spend your hard earned money elsewhere rather than Paris.

That said though...

Quoting LH526 (Reply 5):
Can't say that! I met french tourists who are the exact copy of Mr Hulot in Jacques Tatis marvelous film. Nice, interesting and polite people with a keen interest in foreign cultures.

checkmark  I'm a little surprised by the ranking. I expected the list to be dominated by Anglo-Saxon countries...the UK, Australia, US, etc. But at least it proves that we're not that bad. Perhaps the ones who occupy the top spot should take that into note.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

aerorobnz

Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 pm

If I was to make a list of nationalities using negative aspects of difficult airline passengers based on my experiences dealing with them at the airport it would be as follows

1) Israel very demanding, abrupt, Gets nasty when things don't go their way, often they can play the race/religion card

2) China (DRC) Loud, intrusive also demanding without ever using courtesies, and can have tendency to ignore any gate announcements (even in Cantonese/Mandarin )etc. Also, although not an issue for me, they don't always like dealing with Female staff.

3) India Each check in has the potential to be very wearing due to incessant bartering/haggling/arguing over excess luggage/seat requests/boarding times. Good at wasting lots of time and building up the check in queues. Everything has a negotiable price. Also whenever the flights are full, and seat assignments/excess enforced - relatives tend to start dying in India. Strangely in the slow season the relatives stop dying and all is fine again.

Germany
France/
USA/
Australians/
Koreans

A request that cannot be accommodated often ends up a demand, on pain of an ultimatum. This in particular .is a feature of the middle aged of these nations. Strangely though while the others are harsh, the Americans show vulnerability in the way they give reasons for their demands that is unique ("But I'm claustrophobic, and my knee and hip are replaced "). They can give you their entire medical and personal histories to gain sympathy and hopefully their request without feeling self conscious. Very emotional too, although crocodile tears often.

However I do wish to specify that I have had the worst kind of passengers from most of the passports I see frequently. It depends on individuals. You will notice that all countries on my list are the economic/military superpowers. I certainly think that is a contributing factor while overseas.

The Japanese are the easiest to deal with, Any meal and seat requests/air points upgrades are arranged in advance, and the luggage is rarely overweight. When things don't go their way they tend not to argue.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ME AVN FAN

Fri May 25, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting LH526 (Reply 5):
a keen interest in foreign cultures.

IF information in French language is obtainable !  Big grin
-

Arrow

Fri May 25, 2007 2:02 pm

Canadians don't even make the list. We're invisible. That's good, We always get mistaken for Americans anyway. That's why Americans score so high on the list.  Wink
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Boeing4ever

Fri May 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 16):
That's why Americans score so high on the list.

And so low on the "best dressed tourist" list...

Wink

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

Beaucaire

Fri May 25, 2007 2:24 pm

Here in Southern-France many hotel and restaurant owners love the Belgians as clients- they rarely complain,are good spenders in restaurants,behave quite nicely and speak many languages.
Dutch tourist are not much liked -they bring everything with them ( ..invade the place with caravans.),don't spend a lot of money and tend to live in Dutch ghettos"
Scandinavians are also quite appreciated (except in Greece where they tend to booze until they drop dead..)
American tourists are different depending the regions - if you encounter them in typical ,high density tourist spots ,you tend to meet the more stereotype negative sort -once you go in the "Hinterland" and less trendy places,the type of clientéle changes.
It is very unlikely to meet unpleasant tourists in difficult to reach places,because you filter the type of customers you attract.If you go to Tamarasset in the Hoggar (Central Algeria ) the type of tourists you meet is neccessaily different than the ones on Palma beach...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

LHMark

Fri May 25, 2007 2:49 pm

The Australians, in my experience, are the most arrogant. If you're hosting, they love to sit you down and tell you everything that's wrong with your country, contrasting it with the paradise from which they hail.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Banco

Fri May 25, 2007 4:24 pm

Always a misunderstanding about the British, the tipping thing. It's nothing to do with miserliness, it's because the British absolutely hate the way tipping emphasises the real service/customer relationship, and the difference in status between the two. That's why (and everyone observes this) you always get a please and thank you, as if the server is doing you a favour, rather than doing it for money, and why in pubs you never tip, but you do buy the landlord a drink (same thing, but the pretence is that he's a mate, and you're really equal, sharing in a round). The British, and more specifically the English, will do anything to avoid confronting and recognising this fact. When they go abroad, where people are less self-conscious about it, and view the server/customer thing as just natural and normal, they are forced to confront the very thing they hate above all else, and they feel deeply, horribly uncomfortable about it, and try to avoid it altogether. Lump the whole lot into a "service charge" that they don't have to to think about and explicitly acknowledge, and the Brits will love you forever as they don't have to confront their social ineptitude, make them pay a tip, and they'll squirm with embarrassment.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

LAXspotter

Fri May 25, 2007 4:37 pm

2. India

Indian Tourists? Where do they go? Certainly not North America

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 10):
According to the Times of India, Indian tourists were described as "loud, untidy and miserly."

Hey, that kind of describes the indians in the USA. Miserly, i can definetely say a yes to. Indians are the cheapest people on the planet.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

mdsh00

Fri May 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 10):

I can see that.

I agree. I see it all the time on any flight bound for India.

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 14):
3) India Each check in has the potential to be very wearing due to incessant bartering/haggling/arguing over excess luggage/seat requests/boarding times. Good at wasting lots of time and building up the check in queues. Everything has a negotiable price. Also whenever the flights are full, and seat assignments/excess enforced - relatives tend to start dying in India. Strangely in the slow season the relatives stop dying and all is fine again.

rotfl  There's been many times on visits to India where I sometimes feel really embarassed to be Indian, especially when I see a poor FA hassled like no other.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 21):
Hey, that kind of describes the indians in the USA. Miserly, i can definetely say a yes to. Indians are the cheapest people on the planet.

Only upped by the Chinese, IMHO.  Smile

In the end regarding tourists, there's always such a range. For example, me and my family are the opposite of stereotypical Indian travellers (maybe from the fact that my parents have lived in the US longer than India), and for every loud mouth American, there are the quiet and respectful ones. The problem is that it's always the latter (of any nationality) that nobody ever remembers.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

LAXspotter

Fri May 25, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 22):
upped by the Chinese, IMHO

no doubt, althought jewish people are up there, but i think theyre just extremely frugal and careful about how they spend, Indians are just miserly who will try to save up by not buying soda for their kids at Fast food restaurants, take my word for it.

dc10s2hnl

Fri May 25, 2007 5:04 pm

As someone who works in the hospitality industry, one surprising nationality of people that seems to be a pain in the butt most of the time are the Israelis. Rude, stingy, angry, always complaining about everything... Whenever there's a big group of 'em in town and I make call-arounds to other hotels in the area and ask if they're lucky enough to have loads of Israelis like us, usually there is a universal weary sigh in the affirmative.

I don't know how skewed these rankings are by just interviewing hotel people... Japanese tourists tend to be "nice and tidy", but hell, try and go see things in Europe or Hawai'i, you're liable to be nearly pushed into the street or river by 'em! I've had numerous experiences of literally being shoved out of the way by pushy Japanese tourists eager to take a picture.

LAXspotter

Fri May 25, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting Dc10s2hnl (Reply 24):
Japanese tourists eager to take a picture.

I realized something, their easy access to technology means, japanese people just have to shove out their cell phone cameras and digital cameras to take pictures of the most boring things. Although, i have to admit, theyre quiet and rather trendy.

TurkishWings

Fri May 25, 2007 5:24 pm

the Japanese ("polite and tidy"), according to a survey of European hotel managers.

Japanese are nice, clean and tidy whatsoever but they have some of the strangest traveling habits ever...All their holidays, from leaving home to returning home, is perfectly planned. They do know what they are going to have for dinner on a particular day long in advance. And if they don't get the soup that's written on the list, they will ask for redemption. More weirdly, even if they are on a honeymoon, they ALWAYS ask for a twin bed (two separate beds). I still couldn't figure out why.....

4. Russia
5. UK

I am shocked to see these two on the list... As a person in the industry, I would put Russians at the bottom of the list (no offense). I am sure there are smart travelers among them but they usually are very inexperienced travelers thus they usually misbehave while on holiday. They tend to have no idea about the "etiquette" of travelling.. They have little respect to other holiday makers, they hardly speak any other language, they wear the tiniest skirts and tops and they complain how men are animal... But as they recently started traveling internationally, I am assuming and hoping that they will learn....

The Brits? All they want is to lie in the sun and drink their beers.. They have very little interest in the culture whatsoever. They are great to hang out with and talk to but they tend to be highly unsophisticated while traveling..Demanding an English put anywhere they go is a very good indication of this...

The Germans, French, Dutch, Italian are smarter travelers.. Americans love cultural heritage, old stones, arcitecture etc as they do not have much in the USA.
Coffee - Tea or Me?

HAWK21M

Fri May 25, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 23):
Indians are just miserly who will try to save up by not buying soda for their kids at Fast food restaurants, take my word for it.

You need to meet some Indians that are not miserly. Smile

I don't think one can generalise on countrymen,its about an Individual.
regds
MEL

LAXspotter

Fri May 25, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 27):
You need to meet some Indians that are not miserly

Yeah i know what u mean, my uncle in India who is in so called upper level society says that he knows people who spend thousands on drinks ever month, and are quite lavish spends with European cars and luxurious homes, but in the USA most indians are cheap my friend.

allstarflyer

Fri May 25, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 26):
The Germans, French, Dutch, Italian are smarter travelers

I don't know about the Dutch and Italians, but (with respect to the particular foreign members here of Anet nation) some of the French and Germans need to take a bath, as well as some of those Indian travelers. And it wouldn't hurt some of those German travelers to quit farting in public.

The Japanese have usually been courteous and friendly from my experiences, as well as Koreans, Aussies and Kiwis. Brazilians have been particularly cool, IMO.

-R
Living the American Dream

MD11Engineer

Fri May 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 29):
And it wouldn't hurt some of those German travelers to quit farting in public.

Already Martin Luther said: "Warum ruelpsed und furzed Ihr nicht? Hat Euch das Essen denn nicht geschmacket?"
(In old German: "Why are you not burping and farting? Didn't you like the taste of the food?")  Wink

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Doona

Fri May 25, 2007 7:18 pm

Amen to that. Since when are ahtletic jerseys considered "OK" to wear when not participating in a sporting event?  duck 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

LAXspotter

Fri May 25, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 29):
as well as some of those Indian travelers

We cant help it, its our natural body odor.

TurkishWings

Fri May 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 32):

Are you sure? I had friends who absolutely had no smell at all as well as those we couldn't get close... What does this "odor" depend on? Region you are coming from? Food you eat?

I am seriously interested. Because this is the biggest problem we have with some Indian travelers... No offense (just talking facts here) but after an Indıan family checks out of the room, we can not sell that room for a few good days. Serious loss of income...
Coffee - Tea or Me?

ORFflyer

Fri May 25, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 31):
Since when are ahtletic jerseys considered "OK" to wear when not participating in a sporting event?

Since about the 70's.

David L

Fri May 25, 2007 8:44 pm

Britons were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping

I suspect that's slanted a bit by the package tour crowd on the Costa del Engerlund, etc. many of whom do go on holiday to get drunk, not give a damn and "have a good time". Take those destinations out and I suspect the picture would be a bit better.

Quoting Banco (Reply 20):
Always a misunderstanding about the British, the tipping thing. It's nothing to do with miserliness, it's because the British absolutely hate the way tipping emphasises the real service/customer relationship, and the difference in status between the two.

There's also the fact that, in this country, 10% is fairly normal. Go to the USA and that seems stingy. I'd been three or four times before I discovered that 20% is the norm there. It wasn't that I was being stingy, it's just that I didn't know. When an American comes over here and tips 20%, it may well be because they don't know that's generous here.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

AirSpare

Fri May 25, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 1):
Probably followed by the Germans.

I think the German Tourist Beach Uniform is cool, grey socks in sandals, hahaha

Canadians

We're invisible

Except the canadien flag on teh backpack, proudly stiched so no one thinks you are an American.  Smile
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

mainMAN

Fri May 25, 2007 8:49 pm

Hoards of Spanish and Italian teenagers in the UK are annoying. They shout at each other on public transport, totally ignoring the local British custom of being quiet and looking upon your fellow travellers with snobbish contempt and disdain.

Banco

Fri May 25, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 37):
Hoards of Spanish and Italian teenagers in the UK are annoying. They shout at each other on public transport, totally ignoring the local British custom of being quiet and looking upon your fellow travellers with snobbish contempt and disdain.

Most nationalities speak to each on the train. We don't, because we put such a hgigh value on personal privacy, and anyone who talks to a stranger is assumed to be on drugs, drunk or an escaped lunatic. If you're a commuter, you'll never talk to your fellow passengers, because if you do, there's no turning back. You'd end up having to talk to them every day, perhaps for years. So you say not a word. Every Brit reading this will nod, and say "of course". Other nationalities look at us in disbelief. It's one of the reasons they think us cold and stand-offish, but it's really a form of inverse politeness. But we are appallingly socially inept, another reason we go from complete silience to alcoholic induced mayhem with very little in between.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

HAWK21M

Fri May 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 28):
my uncle in India who is in so called upper level society says that he knows people who spend thousands on drinks ever month, and are quite lavish spends with European cars and luxurious homes, but in the USA most indians are cheap my friend

I know quite a few Indians in the US that are not  Smile.Guess its still Generalising.
regds
MEL

jaysit

Fri May 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 21):
2. India

Indian Tourists? Where do they go? Certainly not North America

Last year the US issued 425,000 tourist visas to Indian nationals.

While many end up staying with their aunties, uncles, cousins, etc., there is a thriving package tour business in India for Indians wanting to visit the US. On my last flight out of India, half the NW A330 was filled with chattering matrons and their sleep husbands off on a grand tour of the US. The woman seated next to me was on her second trip. She showed me a picture of herself at the Capitol in Washington, DC that she insisted on calling the White House. When I told her it wasn't the White House, she said "Arrre...but it is a house...and it is white, no?" That's when the scotch with Ambien kicked in. Thankfully.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Emirates773ER

Fri May 25, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 40):
She showed me a picture of herself at the Capitol in Washington, DC that she insisted on calling the White House. When I told her it wasn't the White House, she said "Arrre...but it is a house...and it is white, no?" That's when the scotch with Ambien kicked in. Thankfully.

Oh man....... you made me spit some coffee on that one.  rotfl   rotfl 
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

ME AVN FAN

Fri May 25, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 33):
checks out of the room, we can not sell that room for a few good days

-
why not buying some NEUTRAL room-spray of the "anti-tobacco" sort, and keep the windows open for a day ?
-

Quoting David L (Reply 35):
Take those destinations out

the package-tours groups make up most of the "image" of travellers-nations. In case of single travellers, it is often fairly difficult for "host-nations" even to find out the origin of a particular person
-

yowza

Fri May 25, 2007 11:42 pm

I'm pretty sure the this survey did not take into account epileptics! I was in CPT once being flanked by an army of Japanese tourists that we blinding me with their flashes. I seriously think the intensity and the frequency of the motion would have been enough to induce and epileptic fit. (Waterfront at night)

YOWza

sebolino

Sat May 26, 2007 12:11 am

I knew that French have a terrible reputation when receiving tourists, but now I learn that we are terrible tourists
Surprisingly, the article doesn't say a word about the reason why we are so horrible.

Considering the title "Behavior, spending habits, dressing and tipping judged in survey", I bet the problem with French people is tipping. We just don't do it often. Why ? Because on each ticket you get in a pub, cafe, bar, it's written "service compris", which means literally "tip included". End of the story.

(Actually it's not exactly the same, but it's a good excuse not to tip  Smile. And considering the prices we get in French bars and restaurant, they won't have a tip !!!  Smile )

[Edited 2007-05-25 17:14:33]

mdsh00

Sat May 26, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 23):
take my word for it.

Oh I know exactly what you mean.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 27):
You need to meet some Indians that are not miserly.

I don't think one can generalise on countrymen,its about an Individual.

Of course you can't generalize, but when you know of people that do things like fill plastic bags full of Taco Bell sauce (Yes I do know of one) "just because it's free," they deserve to be made fun of. I love my people but sometimes we really need to stop being so cheap.

Then again families will pour obscene amounts of money into their kids' SAT or Kumon Math classes.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 32):

Yes and no, IMO. Masala does give you bad body odor but the bigger problem is not using enough deodrant. My dad is in IT and says that even he can't stand the smell when a small contigent of programmers come from India for training. Whenever I go back there, everyone seems to think that Talcum powder is good enough. Well its not!
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

A342

Sat May 26, 2007 2:09 am

Germans are the least generous.

Must have been Swabians. But then again, why did they even go on holiday?  Smile

But the Koreans... A buddy of mine has a Korean mother and regularly goes to Korea. He says Koreans don't know what embarrassment is.

A few weeks ago, I was in Munich with him. A group of Koreans had a look at a church, every single one of them waiving a little flag of the Vatican City.  Smile
Exceptions confirm the rule.

BCAL

Sat May 26, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 26):
The Brits? All they want is to lie in the sun and drink their beers.. They have very little interest in the culture whatsoever.

Not all of them. True, the lager louts and chavs have three priorities on holiday - sex, sun and sangria - but take Brits who are over 30 and they can be equally polite and artistically minded as the best tourists in the world.

And talking of Brits misbehaving on holiday, what about foreign language students who come over in their thousands to the UK. When they are unsupervised, they are loud mouthed, rude, often drunk, stick together and ignore every British custom.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

kingsford

Sat May 26, 2007 2:34 am

Being in the full-service hotel industry, I can tell you Israelis rank number one as worse tourists. They just do not respect others and property, are loud and politeness is as foreign to them as a shrimp cocktail. Now I am sure there are some out there who will prove me wrong. I am speaking out of statistics of my large and long personal experience.

Dutch people are very well behaved and will spend on one thing they cannot bring with them as easily, beer.

As for Indians, they could be the new 'Israelis', but certainly up there with the chinese.

I have no point of view on americans-australians-kiwis-canadians - I think they are nice to have.

All depends also if they travel in groups or small families and where they are at - at the end of the day, certain places do deserve the tourists they attract.

Russians can be nice if you are willing to forgive them some nouveau riche bad habits.

twocents 

David L

Sat May 26, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 42):
Quoting David L (Reply 35):
Take those destinations out

the package-tours groups make up most of the "image" of travellers-nations. In case of single travellers, it is often fairly difficult for "host-nations" even to find out the origin of a particular person

That's my point. Package tour travellers are easy to categorise because they're concentrated in a few places. I don't know what the situation is today but I was under the impression we have a larger number of "sex, sun and sangria" merchants than a lot of other nations but they probably don't comprise the majority of British tourists... but maybe they do.

Comparing our "Costa del ..." lager louts with "normal" tourists from elsewhere is bound to colour the image somewhat. If you discount visitors of all nationalites to all cheap package destinations, I think you'd you get a more acceptable picture. I suspect we just come off worse because we have a few more people at such places. I also suspect that all this tells us is that visitors to package destinations are "worse" than visitors to other places.  Smile