AeroWesty
Topic Author

Santoku Knife ... Got One Yet?

Sat May 26, 2007 5:51 am

Ever the slave to kitchen fashion, I picked up one of these last weekend. Best knife I've ever used. It didn't hurt that the store was having a half-off sale on open stock cutlery, so it only cost $10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santoku

Anyone else use a Santoku? What do you think about it?
International Homo of Mystery

ANCFlyer

RE: Santoku Knife ... Got One Yet?

Sat May 26, 2007 5:56 am

The knife I primarily use in my kitchen is of similar design - same name - by Henkel.

I have an entire kitchen full of Henkel knives - and this one is the Big Kahuna!

Almost everything in my kitchen comes from Kohl's . . . Henkel Knives, Calphalon cookware . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LH459

Sat May 26, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
I have an entire kitchen full of Henkel knives

Me too! My mom bought me the small Henkel Santoku for my birthday, but I haven't gotten in the habit of using it yet. Seems like a fantastic knife, and now that I think about it, I have a ton of vegetables to chop tonight....
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

dsmflyer

Sat May 26, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Thread starter):
Ever the slave to kitchen fashion, I picked up one of these last weekend. Best knife I've ever used. It didn't hurt that the store was having a half-off sale on open stock cutlery, so it only cost $10.

Can't beat the price. Is it a forged blade?

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2007 8:08 am

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 3):

To be honest, I don't think so. I'd been looking at Santokus in the store off and on and figured for 10 bux I couldn't go too wrong with KitchenAid to see if I liked the style of it. It's so nice though, I'm going to look around for the smaller one as well, and probably pop for a better-made brand.

N1120A

Sat May 26, 2007 8:38 am

I have one of the cheap J.A. Henkels Santoukus and my mom has a Zwilling Henkels Vier Sterne Santouku. They are truly excellent knives and work better than regular chef's knives in most situations.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Yellowstone

Sat May 26, 2007 9:11 am

My mom's got one, made by Wusthof. She got a set of knives from my dad for her last birthday, and man are those things sharp!
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

PA110

Sat May 26, 2007 9:31 am

I bought my other half Rachel Ray's set - I have to admit, I really like the weight and feel of these knives.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

baylorairbear

Sat May 26, 2007 9:55 am

Excellent knives you all have. This thread takes me back to my last cutlery purchase: I Got A 6" Boner Today (by BaylorAirBear Jul 27 2006 in Non Aviation)

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

MCOflyer

Sat May 26, 2007 11:20 am

I have a similar one by farberware.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

comorin

Sun May 27, 2007 12:13 am

Do any of you gentlemen have any experience with 'Laser' knives that were popular about 10-15 years ago? They never needed sharpening and I'm looking to replace them.

As for the knives discussed in this thread, are they good for chopping onions? I find 80% of my knife usage is onion-chopping, 15% for eating fruit (should be another knife) and 5% for things like chopping garlic, ginger etc. Yes, I need to get more veggies into my diet...

ANCFlyer

Sun May 27, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 10):
I find 80% of my knife usage is onion-chopping, 15% for eating fruit (should be another knife) and 5% for things like chopping garlic, ginger etc. Yes, I need to get more veggies into my diet...

You only need this knife. Onions, garlic, ginger, tomato, orange, whatever.

I rarely use the rest of the knives in my kitchen . . . not that they aren't good knives, I just don't need them any longer.

The 'recesses' in the blade prevent most everything from sticking to the blade.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

iflyatldl

Sun May 27, 2007 12:58 am

My partner's got a couple of them he got at Xmas closeout-Crate n' Barrel a couple of years ago. They're great, easy to maintain and never had to be sharpened. I try to look every now and again to see if I can find something else for him, since he does enjoy his toys...um, I mean gadgets Big grin strictly speaking in the kitchen sense, of course  Wink
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

comorin

Sun May 27, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):

Thanks for the 'tip' ! I'll walk over to Bed Bath and pick up one right away.

ANCFlyer

Sun May 27, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 13):
Bed Bath

Kitchen Gadget Store . . . very dangerous place for me.  laughing 

We now have one in ANC . . .  biggrin 

pick up one right away

Get a decent quality one, double bevel, etc . . . lots of fakes out there.

comorin

Sun May 27, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 14):

I'll keep you advice in mind. You're right, I'll probably end up buying all sorts of stuff out there! Fortunately, I'm limited by what I can carry back home walking ( about 1/2 mi.)

N1120A

Sun May 27, 2007 2:19 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 10):

As for the knives discussed in this thread, are they good for chopping onions? I find 80% of my knife usage is onion-chopping,

As good as they are for everything, onion chopping seems to be their absolute design purpose. They rip them apart like no other.

I'll walk over to Bed Bath and pick up one right away.

Get a good one. Spend the money and it will last much longer

comorin

Sun May 27, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
Get a good one. Spend the money and it will last much longer

I'll be turning 60 this year so anything with a MTBF over ten years will probably outlast me  Wink

N1120A

Sun May 27, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 17):

I'll be turning 60 this year so anything with a MTBF over ten years will probably outlast me

Nah. If you get a good Santoku, you will like chopping so much that you will eat more vegetables and live another 30.

NoUFO

Sun May 27, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 3):

I'm sure Kitchen Aid make great products, but a knife for $20 is never forged. The only firm that produces forged, hand-made knives I know of is Güde ( http://www.guede-solingen.de incl video of the forging). A knife similar to Westy's or ANC's would go for roughly EUR 80.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):

Make that three: yours (or similar), one much smaller to peel apples and the likes, plus one for bread, that is Güde's famous bread kife:

I support the right to arm bears

comorin

Sun May 27, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 18):
Nah. If you get a good Santoku, you will like chopping so much that you will eat more vegetables and live another 30.

Smile Thanks, but in 30 years the only veggies I'll be eating will be pureed!

BTW do these knives need to be sharpened frequently ?

ANCFlyer

Sun May 27, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 19):
A knife similar to Westy's or ANC's would go for roughly EUR 80.

I paid US$60 for mine.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 20):
BTW do these knives need to be sharpened frequently ?

no  Had it a year and never touched it. It's washed and dried by hand, never machine washed.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 20):
in 30 years the only veggies I'll be eating will be pureed

rotfl 

NoUFO

Sun May 27, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
I paid US$60 for mine.

Henkel is Zwilling's "value for money" brand. They are good, but the knives are not forged. As far as I can tell, even Zwilling don't forge their knives.
I support the right to arm bears

saxdiva

Sun May 27, 2007 7:06 am

I've got two of the Henkel's santukos... my mom gave me one for Christmas a couple years ago, and later I got a deal on a full set, which came with another. I didn't think I'd use both, but I find that when I'm cooking I'll cut meat with one and veggies with the other, so it's been nice to have 'em.

And you're right ANC--you get to where the santuko and a good paring knife are about all you need for damn near everything. I do, however, hold on to my favorite heavy ol' cleaver--I first learned how to de-bone a chicken in nothing flat with that one, and nothing else feels right for that sort of job. It's also useful for hammering nails or breaking up blocks of ice.  Big grin

ANCFlyer

Sun May 27, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 23):
hammering nails

faint 

you get to where the santuko and a good paring knife are about all you need for damn near everything.

checkmark 

I have all the appropriate "knives" that just sit more or less. I have a clever too, got tired of it. I have a Henkel paring knife . . . great box cutter.  biggrin 

MCOflyer

Sun May 27, 2007 8:07 am

It's also useful for hammering nails or breaking up blocks of ice.

Totally agree. I also cut tooth picks for cold cuts (sometimes they are so long for only 2 pieces of ham).

Hunter

saxdiva

Sun May 27, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):

faint 

Dude, seriously--the blade on this thing is 3/8" thick and the whole knife weighs about a pound. It was originally my grandmother's, and I'm sure she could have made one hell of a slasher movie with it. You can imagine how well we behaved when we were at *her* house.
 Wow!

iflyatldl

Mon May 28, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting Saxdiva
Reply 26:
Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):

Dude, seriously--the blade on this thing is 3/8" thick and the whole knife weighs about a pound. It was originally my grandmother's, and I'm sure she could have made one hell of a slasher movie with it. You can imagine how well we behaved when we were at *her* house.

Too Funny! Big grin
*spits out coffee laughing*

b78710

Mon May 28, 2007 2:39 am

my mums been a chef for 30 odd years and we still have a knife here at home that was one of her first.....i'm not sure on the make (possibly sebatier, she always brought me up to believe these were the top knifes, weather this is one or not i dont know)

its literally black from the years of use, it looks really dirty, almost rusty, but its perfectly clean!

still sharp as hell! its my favourite knife, i use it for everything

iflyatldl

Mon May 28, 2007 3:01 am

When my dad lived in the UK(and I do mean years ago!), he bought a Sebatier and now I've got it. It's turned a little bit in color over the years, yet it's one of those you don't have to sharpen, at least very often. In fact, I've had it for at least 15 years(since my dad passed away) and never sharpened it. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure if they make them anymore.  scratchchin 

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 19):
I'm sure Kitchen Aid make great products, but a knife for $20 is never forged. The only firm that produces forged, hand-made knives I know of is Güde ( http://www.guede-solingen.de incl video of the forging). A knife similar to Westy's or ANC's would go for roughly EUR 80.

I found that I'd not thrown out the garbage bag yet where I'd tossed the box the knife came in, and it doesn't say anything about being forged, just that it's made from "superior high-carbon 420J2 stainless steel".

While looking around online a bit more on these though, I did find the Cuisinart brand is forged, and a bargain at $20 for the 7" and $10 for the 5":

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13992118

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 26):
You can imagine how well we behaved when we were at *her* house.

LOL! I've been watching some old Iron Chef episodes this weekend, and now I imagine your grandmother as Iron Chef Chen.

n229nw

Mon May 28, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting Iflyatldl (Reply 12):
They're great, easy to maintain and never had to be sharpened.

Why not?

This thread has got me curious. What properties of a blade determine how often it will need to be sharpened? I thought pretty much all knives will get duller with use and need to be sharpened (except for serrated knives, etc.)

Also, by "sharpened" do you mean a real diamond sharpening, or just running it over a sharpening steel?
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

AeroWesty
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 31):
Also, by "sharpened" do you mean a real diamond sharpening, or just running it over a sharpening steel?

I know there's a definitive answer for which blades last longer, but I don't know it off-hand. Personally, I use one of these gizmos on all my knives, about once every 3 months does it.

MCOflyer

Mon May 28, 2007 5:51 am

Just bought a set a 3 at Target for 7.99.

Hunter

srbmod

Mon May 28, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 14):
Kitchen Gadget Store . . . very dangerous place for me.

That's why I try to avoid those places, as I see so many things I want there.

Quoting PA110 (Reply 7):
I bought my other half Rachel Ray's set - I have to admit, I really like the weight and feel of these knives.

I absolutely hate the orange handles on all of her cookware and knives.

At our house, we've gone the cheap route in terms of kitchen knives. We got a few Rada kitchen knives and for being such inexpensive knives (Most of their knives run for between $5-10), they are pretty good knives. They stay sharp for a decent amount of time and the sharper for them does so well that you only have to pass the blade through it once. They're so sharp that we have to be careful to make sure that we're paying attention when washing the dishes, lest we get a nasty surprise. We have several different knives, but there's only two I use on a regular basis:

Cook's Utility knife:

Utility/Steak knife:

Just about everyone in the family has ended up getting some of these knives.

MCOflyer

Mon May 28, 2007 9:02 am

Dang those things are super sharp westy. One touch of the blade and it got me blood.

Hunter

Daleaholic

Mon May 28, 2007 9:21 am

Should this thread not be renamed... "Murder weapon discussion thread"  scratchchin  Because everything I've seen picture wise looks f**king deadly!!!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

comorin

Mon May 28, 2007 9:59 am

I went and picked up a 5" Santoku (Cuisinart) and a 7" Santoku (Henckel) at Bed Bath and Beyond today. These knives are AMAZING! The Henckel is an 'Eversharp' that does not need sharpening, ever. About $25 for the lot. I also ended up buying some Riedel wine glasses that I have absolutely no need for.

THANKS to ANCFlyer, N1120A and the rest of you for the great tips!  thumbsup 

I can't believe how quickly the Santoku chops everything up...