airlinelover

In Miami For A Night, What To Do!

Sun May 27, 2007 9:53 am

My wife and I are flying into Miami on 5-30, arriving around 730pm.. staying overnight then catching a cruise the next day.. What I'd like to know is, what is there to do that night??

Thanks!

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

futurecaptain

RE: In Miami For A Night, What To Do!

Sun May 27, 2007 10:52 am

Have sex.

God, do you need us A.nutters to tell you this? Come on man.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

airlinelover

Sun May 27, 2007 10:55 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 1):
Have sex.

God, do you need us A.nutters to tell you this? Come on man.

Well, that's for AFTER going out at night.. lol
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

stlgph

Sun May 27, 2007 10:57 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 2):
Well, that's for AFTER going out at night.. lol

that's not adventurous. at all.

i have a photo album of phone booths where i have "lost my virginity" (great way to coherce someone into doing it there, that's for sure) at around the world.

you should start one, too. they're great for casual conversation.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

waterpolodan

Sun May 27, 2007 11:19 am

It depends on what you are interested in doing. The 30th is a wednesday, so it won't be as up-tempo as a friday or saturday night, but there are lots of great things to do anyway. My girlfriend was here in Miami for the last week, she had never been here either, so I spent alot of time thinking about what to do with someone that has never been here before. You can't go wrong with getting a nice dinner in downtown coral gables on miracle mile, or perhaps in coconut grove (anokha, an indian place, is my favorite restaurant in the city), or on Lincoln Road on Miami Beach. After dinner, if you and the wife want to go to one of the many clubs on Miami Beach or downtown in the design district, go for it, though it probably won't be too impressive on a wednesday. Come to think of it, this weekend is "Hip Hop" weekend on Miami beach, and it may continue into next week, in which case maybe you should avoid spending too much time in Miami Beach as it can get really crowded and (no offense to the hip hop crowd) there is ALOT more crime than usual in that area, I was out on south beach yesterday and saw several fights and arrests. If you have any time during the day before you leave on your cruise, I'd recommend going to Fairchild Tropical Gardens, which is near pinecrest and a bit south of the city. They still have this fantastic Chihuly glass artwork on display, and it looks great amid all the tropical plants. My brother got married there a week ago, so I'm a bit biased I suppose. Enjoy your stay!

767Lover

Sun May 27, 2007 10:44 pm

My recommendation is to have dinner al fresco along the waterfront in the art deco area of South Beach.

miamiair

Mon May 28, 2007 12:07 am

Your best bet is to go to South Beach. Take a stroll down Ocean Drive, and have dinner at one of the Cafes there. If you like people watching, Lincoln Road is not too far away. The port is about 4 miles away.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

rjpieces

Mon May 28, 2007 12:56 am

If you want amazing Cuban food, go to Versailles Restaurant in Little Havana....

[Edited 2007-05-27 17:56:48]
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

stlgph

Mon May 28, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 6):
Lincoln Road is not too far away

that place is phun!

outside of the uber scary Walgreens.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

PLANAR

Mon May 28, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 4):
You can't go wrong with getting a nice dinner in downtown coral gables on miracle mile, or perhaps in coconut grove (anokha, an indian place, is my favorite restaurant in the city), or on Lincoln Road on Miami Beach.

checkmark  You said it! I am in Miami just for today too and I just visited these places. They are amazing.
Miami is so different from other American cities (that I have seen!). Love the city. Besdies, Coral Gables proximity to airport also makes it a good starting point to see Miami International's traffic. There's a service road just beside a runway on which we turned accidently today and saw an AA turboprop land almost as close as the next lane!
Leaving for Sarasota tonight.... Hoping to have as good time as Miami!
Flim-Flam Balderdash...

MCOflyer

Mon May 28, 2007 8:54 am

I'd go out to dinner and go dancing?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

MAH4546

Tue May 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Get in a cab, go to South Beach. Start on Lincoln Road and do some shopping (stores don't start closing until 10PM) and grab dinner (if you only have one night, I suggest Van Dyke), then end up at a club or bar at Washington Avenue, almost all will be open.
a.

Delta767300ER

Thu May 31, 2007 8:25 am

-Learn Spanish
-Make sure you have a tan
-Change your last name to Hernandez
-Borrow several guns and body armor from me

-Delta767300ER

Thu May 31, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 7):
If you want amazing Cuban food, go to Versailles Restaurant in Little Havana....

Woah, I'd definitely go to the Larios cafe in South Beach for the night. They have a very nice place combined with live latin music. You could have a couple Mojitos and then start dancing some merengue or salsa xD

Then, go for a walk outside at the beach... head to the hotel and do your thing!

Good enough for one night in MIA!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

corey07850

Thu May 31, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 13):

Woah, I'd definitely go to the Larios cafe in South Beach for the night. They have a very nice place combined with live latin music. You could have a couple Mojitos and then start dancing some merengue or salsa xD

Lario's is amazing... Definitely get a mojito and the appetizer platter. I'm not a real pro when it comes to Cuban food so I don't know how it compares to other places, but we had a great time here!

Thu May 31, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 14):
Lario's is amazing... Definitely get a mojito and the appetizer platter. I'm not a real pro when it comes to Cuban food so I don't know how it compares to other places, but we had a great time here!

Oh yeah! Finally someone to back me up!

Ok, as for Cuban food I'd recommend something rather simple:

- A Mojito
- Mariquitas with Mojo to start;
- An incredible chicken soup with noodles (kills hungover as nothing else!)
- Bistec de Palomilla with Arroz and Maduros (Beef with rice and plantains!)
- And for dessert, I'd go for the Natilla or the Guava with Cream cheese!
- Last but not least, some good Cuban Coffee (Cortadito or Café)

That place is amazing. Unfortunately I'm underage (20 ¬¬) and therefore not a legal drinker. HOWEVER, as I've grown up in Venezuela, I started drinking when I was 12... as a result, I'm a good drinker and Mojito is my favourite drink. I've tried it from my dad at Larios!

Any doubts, don't hesitate to ask!

Salud!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

rjpieces

Thu May 31, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 13):
Woah, I'd definitely go to the Larios cafe in South Beach for the night.

I tried Larios a few years back and it was good, but Versailles has much better food IMO.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

mirrodie

Thu May 31, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 5):
My recommendation is to have dinner al fresco along the waterfront in the art deco area of South Beach.

I second that. Dinner on Sobe and drinks and dancing at Mangoes.

BUt do you have a car? That's a huge consideration for MIA. Also where you are staying plays a big role.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st