Blackbird
Topic Author

Neighbor's 20 Year-Old Son Learning How To Drive

Tue May 29, 2007 3:30 am

Sweet Jesus,

Last week he started taking driving lessons and... I didn't know a person could do so many mistakes. He has a total lead-foot! Hit the brakes full-blast, gunned the gas, nearly crashed into my car!

Has anyone here had a neighbor who was, or who's kid was learning how to drive and nearly hit you, or your car?

BTW I've re-positioned my car as to avoid a repeat of last week.

Andrea Kent

sean377

RE: Neighbor's 20 Year-Old Son Learning How To Drive

Tue May 29, 2007 3:36 am

Haha. What a coincidence! Last night we (the family) all watched as Drew, our 17 year old neighbour took one of his first driving lessons with his dad. He promptly reversed off the drive, via the side lawn - which was only laid a week ago! We killed ourselves laughing.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

Mir

Tue May 29, 2007 3:40 am

I was a total lead-foot the first time I drove a car too. Unless he's already had a few lessons, give the kid a break.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MCOflyer

Tue May 29, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting Sean377 (Reply 1):
He promptly reversed off the drive, via the side lawn - which was only laid a week ago! We killed ourselves laughing.

LOL.

When I was in Escondido last year, my cousin almost got us sideswiped by a car while going through an intersection. Thank goodness we were in a suburban.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

AeroWesty

Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 am

Don't they do Driver's Ed in high school any longer? I used to drive my mom's car around the high school parking lot to learn how to drive before we got into the wanky Olds Cutlass station wagons the high school had for our fleet of training cars.
International Homo of Mystery

Go3Team

Tue May 29, 2007 3:56 am

20, and just now learning how to drive? I started learning when I was 13 or so. Got my license just a few minutes after receiving my "diploma" on passing drivers ed. Since I had a good grade in the class, I was exempted from taking the driving test. My sister is now 17, and doesn't seem all that interested in getting a license. That's all I wanted, when I was a bit younger then she is.
Yay Pudding!

LAXspotter

Tue May 29, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 5):
20, and just now learning how to drive?

And i thought i was procrastinating, I got my license three weeks ago, and Im 18. Just give that man a chance, I was uncomortable for the first three days, but in less than a week i earned my license so I think everyone is uneasy at first.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Mir

Tue May 29, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
Don't they do Driver's Ed in high school any longer?

My high school didn't. Of course, it was in New York, so I wouldn't really expect it to.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

FlyingColours

Tue May 29, 2007 4:06 am

20, and just now learning how to drive?

I'm 21 going on 22 and I don't drive, I learned when I was 17 but stopped before the exam because of a few reasons. Its becoming increasingly unecenomical to drive here, especially since they plan on charging us per mile in Manchester now. I didn't enjoy driving either, too many d1k-heads out there and folks who really should drive whatsoever, I found it more enjoyable if less practical to spend my money on my PPL.

Its never been a problem for me, whenever I go out its to go out drinking so I cant drive anyway. Not caused too many issues with work either (air steward), it has however stopped me from taking a job with KL at LBA though, a mistake which I do regret now.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

MD11Engineer

Tue May 29, 2007 4:31 am

Here you can only get a driving klicence when you are 18 (trucks and heavy motorbikes 21, mopeds and slow farm tractors 16). Until you have your licence, you are only allowed to drive in a car with dual footpedals owned by registred driving instructor with the instructor sitting beside you (with motorbikes, you'll drive ahead, with the instructor following you either on a motorbike or in a car, but you are connected by radio).
There is a minimum number of practical as well as theoretical (classroom) lessons. The mandatory practical lessons include driving at night, on the autobahn and a simulated long distance drive of 5 hours.
Most people need about 30 lessons in total until they are ready for the exam.

I did my driving licence at the age of 21-22 (motorbike and car, the old grandfathered licence good for trucks up to 7.5 tons gross weight plus trailer). Before I simply had no need for a car, since I was living in Berlin and could reach everything I needed by public transport or bicycle.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ACDC8

Tue May 29, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 9):
Until you have your licence, you are only allowed to drive in a car with dual footpedals owned by registred driving instructor with the instructor sitting beside you (with motorbikes, you'll drive ahead, with the instructor following you either on a motorbike or in a car, but you are connected by radio).

Learning to drive from a certified driving instructor, what a concept. Would be nice if our Government looked into that.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

petertenthije

Tue May 29, 2007 4:52 am

Got my license just a few minutes after receiving my "diploma" on passing drivers ed. Since I had a good grade in the class, I was exempted from taking the driving test.

You had no practical test to get your driving license? Wow.

I had heard getting a driving license in the States was pretty much as easy as proving you could breath, but always figured at least some formalities would be in place.
Attamottamotta!

sean377

Tue May 29, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
I was a total lead-foot the first time I drove a car too. Unless he's already had a few lessons, give the kid a break.

Oh, me too. And the missus (she drove my car into a lampost after pulling away in an early lesson)! Learning to drive was probably one of the hardest things I can remember doing. That's why we laughed so much, the flashbacks of us having been there and got the t-shirt.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

1stfl94

Tue May 29, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
was a total lead-foot the first time I drove a car too.

I'm the complete opposite. My instructor's warned that I could easily fail my test for going too slowly

JBo

Tue May 29, 2007 5:18 am

It was impossible for me to be a leadfoot when I was learning to drive, since I learned on a manual transmission. Try to leadfoot it when you're not used to the clutch and she'd just stall.  Smile

The first time I drove our truck when I was learning, I stalled it at least a dozen times just trying to back out of the driveway ... a distance of about 20 feet or so!
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

AeroWesty

Tue May 29, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 11):
I had heard getting a driving license in the States was pretty much as easy as proving you could breath, but always figured at least some formalities would be in place.

It's gotten harder, but when I got mine, it was pretty easy. The state would give out learner's permits at 15 1/2 if you had passed Driver's Ed, then you'd have to take the written test, eye test and driving test. I went on my 16th birthday and failed the first time, since the tester claimed I went through a blind intersection too fast. ::grumble mutter:: I went back the next day and passed just fine.

I still remember the lady in front of me taking the eye test. You had to cover one eye, then the next, then the lady giving the test said "now both eyes", so the lady taking the test covered both of her eyes.  rotfl 
International Homo of Mystery

ACDC8

Tue May 29, 2007 5:28 am

When I did my Canadian license, all I had to do (when I was 16) was to pick up the Driver's Training Manual, which was a small pamphlet, not even 100 pages and about the size of a DVD case. Read it, which took about half an hour, go in later the same day, do my 20 question written test (which I got 20 out of 20), do a quick eye exam and I got my learners. After that, all I had to do was drive around for a month with someone who was older than 18 yrs of age and had a valid license. After the 30 days, I went in to do my road test which lasted about 15 minutes and that's it.

However, it has changed a little bit here now. After you pass your road and written test, you now get a green "N" that you stick on your car (the "N" stands for "Novice"), anyway, this means you can not drive between midnight and 6am (which has just changed, again IIRC), can only have 1 other person in the car, unless the other passenger is older then 25 and has a valid license, then you can have more and must have a blood alcohol content of zero. You have to stay at this level for 2 years (only 18 months if you had formal driver's training) then you do another road test and then you get your license.

Those requirements change every few months, so it's hard to keep up with it. Needless to say, accidents among new drivers are just as high as they were before this pointless "N" stage.

[Edited 2007-05-28 22:29:33]

Twistedwhisper

RE: Neighbor's 20 Year-Old Son Learning How To Dri

Tue May 29, 2007 5:41 am

A picture says more than a thousand words

But let me draw you the scenario:
The young person (not certain about the gender) was going to have their first driving lesson. Reverse out from the parking, SLOWLY!
Result?
Something like this:

This interesting event took place in Malmö, south Sweden, this weekend.  rotfl 
Read between the lines.

nosedive

Tue May 29, 2007 5:45 am

When I got my license in 2001, all it was 3 lefts, 5 rights, and obey a "do not enter sign." Yay Memphis.

aloges

Tue May 29, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting Blackbird (Thread starter):
I didn't know a person could do so many mistakes.

Add a (manual, of course) clutch to his car and he won't know heaven from hell! Big grin  devil 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

aa757first

Tue May 29, 2007 6:15 am

Every state is different, but most states have "graduated" license levels now.

In Pennslyvania, when you turn sixteen, take a computerized test that shuts off once you answer thirteen out of (I think) fifteen questions correctly. Now you have a permit, which allows you to drive with someone over the age of (I think) 21 before 11:00 PM.

After six months and at least fifty hours of that, you can get a junior license, which allows you to drive by yourself before 11:00 PM, unless you're working or have community service (then you can drive after that, as long as you're traveling to/from those places). To get the junior license, you have to pass a road test, which isn't much more than parallel parking and driving down a street for two or three miles (mine took a total of twenty minutes).

If you take formalized driver's ed class and have no traffic tickets, you can get an unrestricted license at 17.5. Otherwise, you wait until you're 18 and you can just fill out a form for it.

I definitely think the driving system should become more challenging...

TusAadvantage

Tue May 29, 2007 7:12 am

You had no practical test to get your driving license? Wow.

I didn't have to take a test either. I took three 1 hr driving classes (after doing some driving with my dad) and the teacher gave me a waver for the practical test. I went to a private DMV (department of motor vehicles) type place and picked up my license.

Springbok747

Tue May 29, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting TUSaadvantage (Reply 21):
I didn't have to take a test either. I took three 1 hr driving classes (after doing some driving with my dad) and the teacher gave me a waver for the practical test. I went to a private DMV (department of motor vehicles) type place and picked up my license.

Wow..you people have it easy up there! I had to do a driving test, and I failed the first time I did it because I spun the wheels and rolled back..haha. I got my driving license when I was 18, I'm 25 now..and I've been driving for 9 years (I first drove when I was 16). I love driving a car...I think its almost as enjoyable as flying Big grin
אני תומך בישראל

MCOflyer

Tue May 29, 2007 8:29 am

In Florida,I got my permit at 15, my E at 16 and i'm getting B at 21.

Hunter

tz757300

Tue May 29, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 23):
In Florida,I got my permit at 15, my E at 16 and i'm getting B at 21.

Umm...what?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

USAFHummer

Tue May 29, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
Don't they do Driver's Ed in high school any longer?

It was a required course for us in high school, taken once a week in 10th grade, and without a doubt the biggest waste of time ever...mostly watching videos of insane crashes and identifying what different signs meant...yea...it was retarded...

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 20):

I remember the PA test fondly...what a joke...I didnt even finish my parallel parking, and the guy said that was ok for him, then we literally just did a lap around the parking lot of the strip mall where the DMV location was...took all of 5 minutes, if that...it blew my mind that people actually failed it..,

I think the way my parents taught me to drive was a good system, one that I plan to implement with my kids when I have them and they are of driving age:

At first, my folks took me to large, empty parking lots nearby at night and just let me drive around them, getting a feel for the car...after a few days of that, they let me drive throughout the neighborhood, then after a few more days it was on to local roads around my township...then on to busier roads in the area, and then finally onto expressways and stuff like that...overall, a nice, safe, progression that led to me having zero mishaps while learning to drive...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

MCOflyer

Tue May 29, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 24):
Umm...what?

My permit at 15. My drivers licence at 16. I'm getting my B licence which is what you need to drive a school bus in florida.

Hunter

WestJetForLife

Tue May 29, 2007 2:08 pm

Here in Alberta, things are basically like this: at 14, you can get your learners after taking a computerized test (stupid computer thing broke on my second try  grumpy  ).

At 16, after two years of terrorizing the roads with either your parents or driving instructor, you can get your basic license. This is where you can just drive a car, and nothing but a car (or similar 4-wheel, non-air brake vehicle holding less than 24). You have 8 demerit points vs. 15 as a fully-licensed, responsible driver, you have zero-alcohol and you have to be home by midnight, I think, or is that the Learner's License?

Anyway, after another year of driving by yourself, you take your advanced license. You get to do whatever you want with driving now: you can upgrade, get a class 1 and drive trucks, drive buses with a class 2, anything basically.

That's the gist of driving in Alberta.

Hope I didn't confuse you,
Nik
I need a drink.

ACDC8

Tue May 29, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 26):
My permit at 15. My drivers licence at 16. I'm getting my B licence which is what you need to drive a school bus in florida.

Do you need to be 21 for that?

LOT767-300ER

Tue May 29, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 9):
Here you can only get a driving klicence when you are 18 (trucks and heavy motorbikes 21, mopeds and slow farm tractors 16). Until you have your licence, you are only allowed to drive in a car with dual footpedals owned by registred driving instructor with the instructor sitting beside you (with motorbikes, you'll drive ahead, with the instructor following you either on a motorbike or in a car, but you are connected by radio).
There is a minimum number of practical as well as theoretical (classroom) lessons. The mandatory practical lessons include driving at night, on the autobahn and a simulated long distance drive of 5 hours.
Most people need about 30 lessons in total until they are ready for the exam.

Har har har..that sucks.

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 25):
It was a required course for us in high school, taken once a week in 10th grade, and without a doubt the biggest waste of time ever...mostly watching videos of insane crashes and identifying what different signs meant...yea...it was retarded...

You couldnt take it privately as an option?

Thats what I did. 30 days before I turned 16 I went to PolSport driving school on Irving Park and Central in Chicago paid $100 in cash, got the answers to the DMV test and permit and they bullshited every form for me that I actually attended classes and drove. Went to my dad, filled in the 10 or 15 hours of required driving time on permit...put in some BS that I drove somewhere, went to the DMV when I turned 16 and had my license in 45 minutes.

Learned how to drive when I was 11 on automatic, 12 on manual and by the time I was 13-14 I drove out west on vacation such as in Wyoming and Montana when my parents didnt feel like driving.

I remember vividly that I also drove between Tok Junction and Fairbanks, AK my parents RV with a restricted Illinois only permit when I was 15. Too bad ANC didnt pull me over  Wink

NWA742

Tue May 29, 2007 4:32 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Thread starter):
Sweet Jesus,

Last week he started taking driving lessons and... I didn't know a person could do so many mistakes. He has a total lead-foot! Hit the brakes full-blast, gunned the gas, nearly crashed into my car!

Has anyone here had a neighbor who was, or who's kid was learning how to drive and nearly hit you, or your car?

BTW I've re-positioned my car as to avoid a repeat of last week.

Andrea Kent

Firstly - have you considered whether he's a government agent conspiring to damage your car? You better make sure. I would certainly contact a conspiracy organization about this. 911truth, the Flat Earth Society, anything - but above all, you must find out what's really happening.

Secondly, now that you've hopefully found out what's really going on, he's 20 years old and only now getting behind the wheel? That's odd for someone in the US. If he constantly floors it and slams on the brakes, he's got poorer than average motor skills, even for a beginner..

He's probably a good candidate to eventually be the 25-30 year old moron you'll find at fast food restaurants in the middle of the night, hanging out with a group of riced out Civics.

Go ahead and tell him I said that, dear.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

HAWK21M

Tue May 29, 2007 8:04 pm

Some people should not be doing certain things  Smile

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

deltairlines

Wed May 30, 2007 12:50 am

Massachusetts was pretty easy to get a license in back in 2002. When you turn 16, you go the department of motor vehicles, take a computer test (I think it was get 14 out of 20 questions you get your permit); after that, it was 6 months of permit driving, which required a 21 year old that had a license already for 2-3 years had to ride shotgun, and this had to count for about 30 hours. There was also mandatory drivers ed (to get your license, you had to have a certificate showing that you passed driver's ed), which consisted of about 25-30 hours of classroom learning (not much learned there; everything was in the How to Get Your License manual the DMV publishes), plus 6 hours of in-car instruction, plus 6 hours of observing another student driver (fortunately, my driver's ed agency didn't bother with this stupid rule, but my sister's did).

For getting a license, after those 6 months, all you did was a road test (the written test gets the permit). For mine, we took a left out of the registry, made a couple of rights to a quiet street, did a 3 point turn to reverse the car around, and drove back to the registry. Took all of 5 minutes and was a joke.

Type-Rated

Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 am

At one point in time you could get a full fledged drivers license in Florida at the age of 14! A lot of families from up north used to get their kids their licenses while on holiday in Florida. They could then drive back home, where ever that could be.
New York was the first state to say that unless you are 18, your out of state drivers license was not valid. A lot of states followed suit.
And then Florida raised their age.

As far as drivers ed in schools, I think most states have dropped it in favor of having the parents send (and pay for) kids going to professional driving school. It's an easy cost cut for school districts.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

NWA742

Wed May 30, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 33):
At one point in time you could get a full fledged drivers license in Florida at the age of 14!

That is insane.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

futurecaptain

Wed May 30, 2007 5:27 am

My drivers test in AZ consisted of parallel parking, 2 stop signs, and 2 stop lights. I think we covered about 2 miles distance and I got my license. One thing that is great about AZ is my license is good until the year 2052.
No driving classes in high school required and my parents minivan couldn't move fast if I wanted it to so having a lead foot was no big problem until I got my car and learned how to drive stick, then I had to learn to control myself.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

n710ps

Wed May 30, 2007 5:33 am

My sister is the worst driver ever. My dad used to make fun of me as I could fly before I could drive abd I started off useing the pedals like rudder pedals and decelerateing in left turns and accelerateing in the right turns. My sister on the other hand knows like ever Nassau County Police officer in Westbury, NY because of her need to constantly change lanes without signaling and just lack of driving skills. I will admit I am better at taxing than I am at driving and I am pretty lead throttled on taxiways too lol.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

Type-Rated

Wed May 30, 2007 9:43 am

Also, when I first got my drivers license in Chicago there was a little test track you drove around in that had all kinds of features, parallel parking, uphill/downhill parking, diagonal parking, S turns, stop signs, one ways, etc. I had a girlfreind who failed the test twice because she kept forgetting to put on the parking brake on the uphill/downhill parking segments.
The test instructor kept asking her over and over again "Are you SURE your aren't forgetting something?" She said nope, he failed her again!
Now this was all circa 1965!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

JAGflyer

Wed May 30, 2007 11:02 am

In Ontario we have a graduated system. G class is for general vehicles (G1, G2, G)

G1: Written test on road signs and rules, you can drive with a person holding a full G license with 4+ years of experience on roads with limits 80km/h and under. Only a licensed instructor can take you on the highway.

G2: 8months or a 1 year after getting G1. You can drive alone, on any road except you can have no alcohol in your blood.

G: Same as G2, except you can have .08 BAC

I got my G1 at 16, I took my G2 test twice (they want to fail you so they make more $$$$). I can take my G in about 9 months between then and 2011.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!