LH526
Crew
Topic Author

Idea For The Ultimative Computer Game

Wed May 30, 2007 4:59 am

So, here's an Idea: apparently 1st person shooters gives your "digital other" eternal life. Once hit, wounded and killed, you simply start over again. So the most important issue on those games, staying alive, is being totally neglected.
So, why not design a game, that instantly becomes unusable once your digital player is dead, turning "staying alive" into THE aim and making it more important than killing enemies. You don't just play the game and will take the whole experience way more seriously than usual kill and respawn games.

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

PPVRA

RE: Idea For The Ultimative Computer Game

Wed May 30, 2007 5:11 am

In Counter Strike, there's a mode that when you die you have to wait for the next round. Haven't played that game in years but it took care of that issue pretty well. Not to mention if you stayed alive you earned more cash to buy new/better/more weapons, and you could do so while everyone else loaded back into the new round, thus saving you time as well.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

sv2008

Wed May 30, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting LH526 (Thread starter):
So, here's an Idea: apparently 1st person shooters gives your "digital other" eternal life. Once hit, wounded and killed, you simply start over again. So the most important issue on those games, staying alive, is being totally neglected.
So, why not design a game, that instantly becomes unusable once your digital player is dead, turning "staying alive" into THE aim and making it more important than killing enemies. You don't just play the game and will take the whole experience way more seriously than usual kill and respawn games.

Mario
LH526

Because that'd be boring; it's not why people play games.

LH526
Crew
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting Sv2008 (Reply 2):
Because that'd be boring; it's not why people play games.

But would be the ultimate Challenge,

piercey

Wed May 30, 2007 6:14 am

You've never played America's Army, have you?

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

LH526
Crew
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 4):
You've never played America's Army, have you?

I rarely play FPS ... just was an Idea among friends over some beer.

Springbok747

Wed May 30, 2007 7:26 am

You would have a hard time selling such a game, unless it was free like America's Army.
אני תומך בישראל

AllegiantAir

Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 am

Here's an idea I came up with. Let's say you can buy the actual game anywhere, but then you have to buy "life" cards that are... lets say $5. Then you scratch off the code on the back and enter it into your game. Then you have a life to play with, and when you die, you have to go buy another card.
Live to Fly.

Springbok747

Wed May 30, 2007 7:42 am

Quoting AllegiantAir (Reply 7):
Then you scratch off the code on the back and enter it into your game. Then you have a life to play with, and when you die, you have to go buy another card.

Won't happen. I can't see people spending five bucks everytime they die to get a new 'life'. Thats just ridiculous...imagine how much it would cost to get through 20 or 30 levels of action in a game like "Max Payne" or "Splinter Cell"!
אני תומך בישראל

PPVRA

Wed May 30, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 8):

Even if it was 25cs, it adds up, and few would continue playing the game (if ever start - life would be very expensive for noobs).
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

bagpiper

Wed May 30, 2007 9:37 am

I've thought of the idea before, too. It could be pretty cool as an extra game play mode in some games... maybe you get more points, money, or whatever.

Could go well in this (free) FPS: www.warrock.net

I never really liked the "run and shoot your gun and see how many people you can kill before you die". I'd love something more like real life...

EDIT - Typo

[Edited 2007-05-30 02:38:16]

Halcyon

Wed May 30, 2007 10:28 am

In the end, people do not want to be challenged in such a way, as the games are about being fun. You buy the game so that it pleases you, not so that you have to please it.

On a different thought, STALKER is a great game, but I really wish I knew Russian...