airfoilsguy

Military Continues To Discharge Gay Arab Ling

Wed May 30, 2007 9:14 am

Arab linguists are worth their weight in gold. Why is our military throwing them out just because they are gay? I think our military needs to get with the times.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...merica/NA-GEN-US-Military-Gays.php
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

AeroWesty

RE: Military Continues To Discharge Gay Arab Ling

Wed May 30, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Thread starter):
Why is our military throwing them out just because they are gay? I think our military needs to get with the times.

Every time I read something like this, I shake my head and ask, "why does our military hate Americans?" I realize not all, certainly, but at least some.
International Homo of Mystery

MDorBust

Wed May 30, 2007 9:24 am

Why is our military throwing them out just because they are gay?

The military has to follow the rules.

Perhaps someone should change the rules. Congress, I'm looking at you.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

AeroWesty

Wed May 30, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 2):
Perhaps someone should change the rules. Congress, I'm looking at you.

If it were to be passed by this Congress, what chances do you give it for being signed by the President?
International Homo of Mystery

Aaron747

Wed May 30, 2007 9:29 am

You actually expect Congress to do anything about something?

banghead 
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ANCFlyer

Wed May 30, 2007 9:38 am

Why is our military throwing them out just because they are gay?

Well, it's quite simple really . . . because it's against the rules to be Gay and be in the US Military.

Should that change . . . Yup. Will the discharges stop if it doesn't? Nope.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Queso

Wed May 30, 2007 9:45 am

This was just plain stupid anyway, gay or not:

"In an interview with The Associated Press, Benjamin said he was caught improperly using the military's secret level computer system to send messages to his roommate, who was serving in Iraq."

I wouldn't even do that with the corporate e-mail system where I work, let alone using the military's stuff.

At least consider the possibility that the source of this could be somewhat biased and they are making a bigger deal out of something than it really is.

flynavy

Wed May 30, 2007 9:48 am

This is just one more example of how ironic it is that Americans think they are the beacon of freedom in the world.

Gay Men and Lesbians in the U.S. Military: Estimates from Census 2000
A Report from the Urban Institute
by Gary J. Gates, PhD

This report estimates that 65,000 lesbian and gay Americans are serving in the United States Armed Forces, on active duty, in the reserves and the National Guard. The report finds that the length of service for gay men is equal to their heterosexual colleagues, while lesbians typically serve longer than their straight counterparts. The estimates in the report are based on an analysis of year 2000 census data. The data is subjected to a rigorous review by the Institute, a non-partisan economic and social policy research organization.
According to the report, lesbians comprise 5% of all female military personnel, while gay men account for 2% of all male military members. The total number of lesbians and gays serving represents 2.8% of the nation’s military forces. The report also finds that lesbians and gays have served in all military eras in the latter part of the 20th century.

Not to meniton the fact that we, the taxpayers, are paying for the policy - upwards of $360 million spent since 1993 on discharging LGBT service members. The 2000 census data suggests there are upwards of 1 million LGBT veterans in the U.S.
Change is: one airline, six continents!