iflykpdx

Worst Person(s) In The World Contenders 5/30

Thu May 31, 2007 2:54 am

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A 44-year-old woman who needed an electric oxygen pump to breathe died after an energy company cut the power to her home because of an unpaid bill, her family claimed Wednesday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18932496/

Don't you just love humanity?
Airport Management - UND

MDorBust

RE: Worst Person(s) In The World Contenders 5/30

Thu May 31, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting IflyKPDX (Thread starter):

You have any more information on this?

How many notices were sent by the company?
Did the company offer alternative payment methods?
Did the company offere differed payment?
Was the company ever formally notified of her condition?
Were there family members who could have helped pay the bill?
Is there a government program to help in these situations?

More questions:
She died within two hours of the power cut: Shouldn't there have been a supplemental O2 Cylinder to handle power interuptions?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

airfoilsguy

Thu May 31, 2007 3:12 am

If this woman was so frail that she couldn't call for help when she lost power why was she alone? Where was her family then? Only now does the concerned family surface when there is possible money to be made from a nice juicy, well publicised lawsuit.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

ORFflyer

Thu May 31, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 1):

There you go again, looking for facts. What a concept.

Quoting IflyKPDX (Thread starter):

Look, I don't like to see anyone die. But MDorBust has hit the nail on the head. Without this information, you cannot just simply put this on the electric company. I know for a fact that the local electric company wouldn't do this if they had known about the condition, nor do I suspect that the company in NZ would have either without extreme circumstances.

From the article, there seems to be conflicting reports, and the start of a "he said, she said" battle. Let's wait until the facts are reported, and then direct our flames in the right direction.

yowza

Thu May 31, 2007 3:50 am

Sure the incident is sad but if the bill was not paid and warnings were given, as far as I'm oncerned, that's that. The power company is not obligated to send somebdoy round with a fruit basket when they cut power...

YOWza

767Lover

Thu May 31, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 1):
She died within two hours of the power cut: Shouldn't there have been a supplemental O2 Cylinder to handle power interuptions?

You do bring up a good point. My electricity goes off for extended periods at least once every couple years due to storms. Is there not a backup system for a power disruption?