PA110
Topic Author

EHarmony.com Sued For Excluding Gays & Lesbians

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:10 am

See full story here

Linda Carlson, an SF Bay Area resident wanted to use eHarmony but was was unable because they do not cater to gays and lesbians. A lawsuit has now been initiated on her behalf against eHarmony.com for discriminating against gays and lesbians. According to the story, eHarmony's founder, Dr. Neil Clark Warren, is an evangelical Christian with ties to "Focus on the Family", an organization who has tried to defeat every equal rights measure ever proposed in California.

Why would anyone in the gay and lesbian community intentionally want to patronize this business? I am really uncomfortable with this lawsuit. Do I really want eHarmony to offer dating services to gays and lesbians, just to have the gay community's money support people who actively work against us? As a gay man, my personal opinion is: NO ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if eHarmony is actually breaking any laws, but it just seems to me that this is like suing a company who organizes hiking and mountain biking vacations for not being ADA compliant.

Any thoughts?
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

IFEMaster

RE: EHarmony.com Sued For Excluding Gays & Lesbians

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting PA110 (Thread starter):

Any thoughts?

Yep, privave website, private company, they can do what they like. No different to a.net dolling out lifetime bans. Linda Carlson needs to loosen up.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AeroWesty

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:20 am

I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if eHarmony is actually breaking any laws, but it just seems to me that this is like suing a company who organizes hiking and mountain biking vacations for not being ADA compliant.

The article implies they are breaking the law, but rather than sue, if I absolutely had to use their service I probably would have had the state go after them, if it's true:

"When she was denied access, she wrote to eHarmony explaining its anti-gay policy was discriminatory under California law but the company refused to change it, according to the lawsuit."

A friend used their service, and he said all the girls were just concerned with the size of his ... widescreen tv. But jeez, it's not like gays and lesbians are going to be holding hen or stag parties on eHarmony's website and taking it over.  silly 

It'll be interesting to watch this one.
International Homo of Mystery

andessmf

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:26 am

Admit it, Westy, you were looking for some easy money... duck 

767Lover

RE: EHarmony.com Sued For Excluding Gays & Lesbian

Linda Carlson, an SF Bay Area resident wanted to use eHarmony but was was unable because they do not cater to gays and lesbians.

So, if they had allowed her to post a profile and state that she was looking for a gal, the responses would have come from who?

It seems kinda weird to be calling discrimination on something that would have no value to you anyway.

It would be like someone trying to use J-Date* to find a nice Methodist guy, and then suing over it.

*J-Date is a dating service catering to Jews.

IFEMaster

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 3):
Admit it, Westy, you were looking for some easy money...

ROTFL.

Oh, how I've missed the Westy banter...

max999

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
Yep, privave website, private company, they can do what they like. No different to a.net dolling out lifetime bans. Linda Carlson needs to loosen up.

Private companies have been subject to government laws and regulations for the longest of time (even anti-discrimination laws).

A blanket statement like that doesn't make sense because a case like this will boil down to the details. One detail I suspect will be juridictional issues. Anti-discrimination laws for gays/lesbians are not uniform in the US, but the website is available everywhere in the country. This lawsuit was filed locally in Los Angeles (which has the proper laws), but the website can argue, if it wanted to, that this lawsuit should be in federal court because of the Commerce Clause. Once on a federal level, gays/lesbians don't get any protection.

[Edited 2007-06-01 02:43:40]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

walter747

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:34 am

Well even though it is a private company it still can be a civil law suit. http://www.match.com offers gay and lesbian singles. All they want to do is find someone who cares about them. My moms freind although not a lesbian is getting married to someone she meet on Match.com.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

AeroWesty

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):
Oh, how I've missed the Westy banter...

::hike skirt::

fumanchewd

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am

Linda Carlson, an SF Bay Area resident wanted to use eHarmony but was was unable because they do not cater to gays and lesbians.

I'm pretty sure that there are men talking to men on there arleady. The problem is only one of them knows it.  Smile
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

767noa

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:08 am

Plain stupid. Its like a straight man trying to join a dating site for gay men, why would you do it. This breaks no California state laws on discrimination or hate. eHarmony is a private company and has the right to decide the people it caters to. If this was a government owned company then this would be illegal, but sadly it is not and Ms. Carlson should understand that.
Welcome onboard, penuts? - noa

DeltaAVL

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 9):
I'm pretty sure that there are men talking to men on there arleady. The problem is only one of them knows it.

bigthumbsup 

About the lawsuit - if she doesn't like eHarmony, go to another site that does cater to gays. It's not like there's any shortage of those. And definitely don't throw your money at an organization that is just going to use it to wipe out pro-gay/lesbian laws. That should be a no-brainer.  Yeah sure
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

UH60FtRucker

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38 am

Why the hell would they want to exclude an entire segment of potential customers?

It sounds like poor business practice.

...But, it's their company... and they have the right to market to whoever/whatever they want. I don't see why we ought to force this company to open their services to people they're not interested in serving.

I'd really like to be part of a near by golf club... but membership is elite and you can only get in once you've been formally invited by the club's committee. What am I gonna do? Sue them because they won't accept me? Get real.

But yeah... it's kinda dumb to limit your business potential.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

walter747

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:40 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 12):
Why the hell would they want to exclude an entire segment of potential customers?

My point exactly.

But yeah... it's kinda dumb to limit your business potential.

True.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

L-188

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:59 am

Why would anyone in the gay and lesbian community intentionally want to patronize this business?

I wouldn't it is called the free market, look at that bar in Australia that is now banning straight people.

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 11):
to another site that does cater to gays. It's not like there's any shortage of those.

Exactly, take your money elsewhere.

But yeah... it's kinda dumb to limit your business potential

Yup, and those homosexuals have lots of disposable income...

Signed Moe Sizlak
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

atct

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06 am

Finally someone of reason on this website.

Exactly.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

AeroWesty

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:09 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 14):
I wouldn't it is called the free market, look at that bar in Australia that is now banning straight people.

Not entirely comparable, since the problem the bar was having was being nearly completely taken over by hen and stag parties. If eHarmony was suffering the same fate, I'd say, yeah okay, it's your website, limit it. But that's not happening here.

Gay dating websites sure get their fill of "straight-but-curious" types.

Emirates773ER

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:03 pm

IFEMaster

Welcome back!
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

NWADC9

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:06 pm

If she wants to use eHarmony to find a spouse, she's gonna get a straight man. There are other sites out there which cater to homosexuals-use those. Boo-hoo, eHarmony doesn't support homosexual relationships. I guess that's a sure sign that she should just MOVE ON!
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

IFEMaster

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Quoting ATCT (Reply 15):
Finally someone of reason on this website.

Not that hard to see really. Linda probably hangs out with Rosie O'Donnell though, hence the crackpot lawsuit.

Quoting Emirates773er (Reply 17):
Welcome back!

Cheers.

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 18):
I guess that's a sure sign that she should just MOVE ON!

checkmark  Get over and get on with life.

AeroWesty

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:54 pm

LOL, I just saw this on the USA network:

garnetpalmetto

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:12 pm

What's unbelievable here is the stance so many people are taking and I think in some cases homophobia and anti-gay sentiment are getting in the way of common sense. Were this an instance of a dating website not catering to one racial or ethnic group, I should hope that more people would be less quick to dismiss the lawsuit out of hand. eHarmony is a business engaging in interstate commerce and it can be argued that a logical extension of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would be to protect against discrimination based on sexual orientation (indeed, lest we forget, the Civil Rights Act protects against discrimination based on sex as well as race). Rather than a frivolous lawsuit, I think this could be an excellent test case to explore the bounds of the Civil Rights Act. I'm not exactly optimistic for the success of such a test case, but it is, IMO, a needed test.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

767noa

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 21):

Thats an interesting stance but this is not a violation of the Civil Rights Act. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (1968, and 1991) is protection from discrimination or race, color, national origin, sex, and religion. And Ms. Carlsons statement that eHarmony's policy "is illegal under California law" is un-true and by law eHarmony has the right to decide on who it wishes to serve and according to the LA Times eHarmony its services are secluded to heterosexual relationships currently only because it has not done research on matching a homosexual couples.
Welcome onboard, penuts? - noa

DeltaAVL

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 20):
LOL, I just saw this on the USA network:

rotfl 

LOL, that's great!
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

767Lover

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting 767noa (Reply 22):
according to the LA Times eHarmony its services are secluded to heterosexual relationships currently only because it has not done research on matching a homosexual couples.

That is probably very true. I have never used it but friends who have say that the questionnaires are painstakingly long and detailed. I even know one person who was told that no match was available!

One thing that sets eHarmony apart from other dating sites (which are really nothing more than bulletin boards) is their matching software.

I'm all for gays and lesbians hooking up and would like them to be able to legally marry, but let's put this in perspective. This is a business set up to bring heterosexuals together for marriage (the company's marketing promotes marriage as the end result). There's nothing wrong with catering to that demographic specifically -- especially when there are many other avenues for g & l to find each other.

What's homophobic about that?

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 24):

Well gee, I guess Emirates not offering Kosher meals, when they offer special meals for nearly everyone else, doesn't make them anti-semitic then, right?

jimyvr

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:33 am

This website is set up by the right-wing christians.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

stlgph

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:36 am

Who the hell needs E Harmony when we have A.Net Meets?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

IFEMaster

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:39 am

What's unbelievable here is the stance so many people are taking and I think in some cases homophobia and anti-gay sentiment are getting in the way of common sense. Were this an instance of a dating website not catering to one racial or ethnic group, I should hope that more people would be less quick to dismiss the lawsuit out of hand. eHarmony is a business engaging in interstate commerce and it can be argued that a logical extension of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would be to protect against discrimination based on sexual orientation (indeed, lest we forget, the Civil Rights Act protects against discrimination based on sex as well as race). Rather than a frivolous lawsuit, I think this could be an excellent test case to explore the bounds of the Civil Rights Act. I'm not exactly optimistic for the success of such a test case, but it is, IMO, a needed test.

Have you ever been to a bar where there is a sign posted behind the bar that says something like "The management reserve the right to refuse service at their discretion."?

Same applies. eHarmony have a RIGHT to decide who they cater to.

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 26):

Ha! Gotta love those inaccurate sweeping statements. The website was set up by one Christian dude who, as far as I can tell, has never held a political position (so how would you know if he's right wing?) and puts the emphasis on family values (solid relationships, finding the person you match with, healthy marriages, stable environments) rather than religious beliefs.

767Lover

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:45 am

Meaning.....? You're not making a sweeping generalisation, are you?

I supposed one could find evidence of ___phobia and discrimination in a lot of things.

searpqx

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 9):
I'm pretty sure that there are men talking to men on there arleady. The problem is only one of them knows it.

rotfl   rotfl 
This is one of those things that most people, including most in the gay community, at first glance just groan and think WTF? But in all fairness, it takes someone tilting at windmills to make change happen sometime. Now, do I necessarily think this is a place where change needs to happen, no not really. I think this case will really come down to the issue of the matching software. If opposite gender really is a significant factor, and they haven't done the equivalent research for same gender, then I don't see any issues at all.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 29):
Meaning.....? You're not making a sweeping generalisation, are you?

You know, Google is your friend:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4803877

There's lots more out there on this guy.

jaysit

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:57 am

What a tempest in a teacup!

In eHarmony's defense, isn't this a bit like a strict vegan showing up at a steakhouse and screaming culinary discrimination?

There are lots of alternative sites offering gay men and women dating opportunities.

Lets use some common sense for a change.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

searpqx

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 28):
Have you ever been to a bar where there is a sign posted behind the bar that says something like "The management reserve the right to refuse service at their discretion."?

And if the bar chose to deny service to someone just because they were black or a woman you and I both know the result, no matter what the sign says. Businesses have the right to determine what their business is and what good or service they sell. But they have been and will continue to operate under Federal, State & Local laws that dictate everything from when they will operate, where they will operate and to an extent, to whom they will cater. The question comes down to, is this business not serving the gay community because their business model (software) doesn't support it, or because of personal bias. If its the later, then the question is does that contravene the laws under which they operate.

NWA742

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:20 am

Why would anyone in the gay and lesbian community intentionally want to patronize this business?

Because people like her don't seem to understand the fact that the world doesn't revolve around them.

There's gay websites, gay bars, there are several dating websites that accepts gays and I'm sure that there are dating sites specifically for gays.

What's the problem with straight equivalents? Gee, a dating site for straight people, WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?

This is just another loudmouth asshole who doesn't understand that private businesses will cater to groups upon which their business has been built upon. Not all dating/social services and websites are going to cater to gay people, and they shouldn't have to. Why some people don't understand this is beyond me.

eHarmony is not excluding gays, they just aren't including them - if you get the picture.

With morons like Linda Carlson, we'll soon have people trying to sue Muslim organizations for not catering to Buddhists or Christians, or vice versa. What's next, suing Krispy Creme for not selling pizza?

Yeah sure

As a gay man, my personal opinion is: NO ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Thank you - common sense is always a relief to hear both on this board and in this country.

It sounds like poor business practice.

Certainly a good point, but some business prefer to operate while maintaining certain traditional practices, of course as long as they don't hurt success. The fast food chain Chick-Fil-A is owned by a Christian(s), and has always been closed on Sundays. I'm sure that eats into their revenue quite a bit for each year, but they are very successful and I would assume happy with what they have accomplish so far.

eHarmony is a business engaging in interstate commerce and it can be argued that a logical extension of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would be to protect against discrimination based on sexual orientation (indeed, lest we forget, the Civil Rights Act protects against discrimination based on sex as well as race). Rather than a frivolous lawsuit, I think this could be an excellent test case to explore the bounds of the Civil Rights Act. I'm not exactly optimistic for the success of such a test case, but it is, IMO, a needed test.

Bull. If civil rights were actually of subject here, why are gay organizations and dating services allowed to operate? Are they discriminating against straight people? NO. They are catering to a certain group upon which their business is BASED. Businesses have the RIGHT to do that. Gay.com shouldn't be forced to cater to straight people - why would anybody want that?! eHarmony is a DATING SERVICE - if they have built their establishment catering to straight couples, they can keep it that way.

What's unbelievable here is the stance so many people are taking and I think in some cases homophobia and anti-gay sentiment are getting in the way of common sense.

Or rather, your overly sensitive attitude towards the idea of a dating website that, heaven forbid, doesn't have the option for "Men looking for men" or "Women looking for women" is getting in the way of your common sense.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

D L X

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:21 am

Best post of the thread - bringing the conversation back into some important realities that had been missed.

Yes. I've also seen bars that say "No Dogs, No Blacks, and No Mexicans." Just because they put up a sign does not mean they are actually within their rights to refuse service at their discretion.

In the US, you absolutely may NOT refuse service on certain grounds. Under the Civil Rights act, race and ethnicity are two of the grounds. Apparently, in California, another ground is sexual orientation. Or at least, that will be tested.

An interesting question of policy is therefore posed - are JDate, BlackPlanet, CatholicSingles, etc. all operating illegally? I tend to think they are not, and neither is eHarmony, especially considering ...

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 32):
There are lots of alternative sites offering gay men and women dating opportunities.

Emirates773ER

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:31 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 25):
Well gee, I guess Emirates not offering Kosher meals, when they offer special meals for nearly everyone else, doesn't make them anti-semitic then, right?

EK offers Kosher meals on their JFK-DXB flights.

Which proves what?

checkmark 

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 33):
And if the bar chose to deny service to someone just because they were black or a woman you and I both know the result, no matter what the sign says

Comparing apples and oranges.

jimyvr

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 34):

eHarmony is not excluding gays, they just aren't including them - if you get the picture.

eHarmony just aren't including them = eHarmony is excluding gays.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

767Lover

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:41 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 31):
You know, Google is your friend:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4803877

There's lots more out there on this guy.

Again, being Evangelical Christian doesn't automatically mean you hate gays. Which is what the term "homophobic" has come to mean in current vernacular. You have to hand it to the interviewer for the incessant baiting, though. She tried real, real hard to get him to say it.

He does mention in the NPR interview that he had never actually counseled a gay couple in the past, and since that is what the site is based on (matching based on real criteria versus just posted ads), I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I could be naive, though. I tend to see the good in people so I don't often readily spot hatred where others do.

Wasn't it you in a previous thread who inferred that straight people "don't get" the dynamics of gay relationships?

Speaking of the NPR interview, it brought back humorous memories of the SNL skit about "me-Harmony" and "he-Harmony."

max999

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:42 am

Ha! Gotta love those inaccurate sweeping statements. The website was set up by one Christian dude who, as far as I can tell, has never held a political position (so how would you know if he's right wing?) and puts the emphasis on family values (solid relationships, finding the person you match with, healthy marriages, stable environments) rather than religious beliefs.

Wishful thinking here...but I hope his values include forming stable relationships for gays/lesbians through same-sex marriages.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

searpqx

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 36):
Comparing apples and oranges.

How so? Its a given that in today's society you cannot deny service or otherwise discriminate based solely on membership in a protected class. If its proven that this website chooses to deny service based solely sexual orientation, a protected class in California, then they are in fact in violation of state laws. Personally I don't think that's the case, I think they just aren't designed to handle same sex, based on their matching software, in which case it's no different than Nordstrom's turning away a customer because they don't sell tires.

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 38):
Again, being Evangelical Christian doesn't automatically mean you hate gays. Which is what the term "homophobic" has come to mean in current vernacular. You have to hand it to the interviewer for the incessant baiting, though. She tried real, real hard to get him to say it.

The thing is, I don't really care if Neil Clark Warren is pagan, athiest, christian, jewish, muslim, or hindu, it's obvious from what he's offering that he's looking to hook up sweet heterosexuals for marriage. I don't have any problem with that. There's an appearance that he wants nothing to do with setting up homosexual relationships at all (there's much more out there than the NPR story). If that's breaking the law, then it's breaking the law. It's not a judgment call, it's a legal issue.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 38):
Wasn't it you in a previous thread who inferred that straight people "don't get" the dynamics of gay relationships?

Again, I said that you weren't getting it, not that you were incapable of getting it. (Perhaps you're still not?)

767Lover

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:07 am

My colleague just brought up an interesting point (she asked what I was looking at.)

If it is assumed that this guy and his company are homophobic through the association of being "conservative" or "evangelical christian" or whatever, why would gays and lesbians want to patronize the business and help fund it in the first place? Seems like they would really rather the business not succeed.

Okay, now I really have to get back to work....!

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 42):
If it is assumed that this guy and his company are homophobic through the association of being "conservative" or "evangelical christian" or whatever, why would gays and lesbians want to patronize the business and help fund it in the first place?

Some people have no scruples.  silly  Believe it or not, there is no gay "group think".

NWA742

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 32):
In eHarmony's defense, isn't this a bit like a strict vegan showing up at a steakhouse and screaming culinary discrimination?

Lets use some common sense for a change.

So all right-wing Christians are homophobic?

Some of you who keep saying this is a matter of civil rights seem to be missing the fact that dating services are just that - services.

Southwest Airlines does not want to offer service to LHR. Are they discriminating against Europeans, or just not offering international service because it doesn't fit their business model and they don't want to?

A steakhouse that doesn't offer the service of catering to vegetarians - discriminatory, or just not selling that service?

A dating website that doesn't offer the SERVICE of matching gay couples - discriminatory, or just not selling that service?

Gay.com is a gay website that doesn't offer service/benefits/etc to straight people - discriminatory, or just not selling that service?

Christian organizations not catering to Muslims - discriminatory, or just not offering that service?

Myspace.com doesn't offer free user accounts to monkeys - discriminatory, or just not offering that service?

Privately held businesses are restricted from discriminating against people based on religion, sex, orientation, etc. However, they also have the right to NOT offer services that they don't want to because it interferes with the business model they have built. Not selling a service does not always equal discrimination - even if it involves religion, orientation, etc. What you people are advocating is the outright banning of every single organization that specializes in anything out of fear that it could be considered discriminatory by fucktards like Linda above! Get real!

-NWA742

[Edited 2007-06-01 19:34:36]
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

D L X

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:37 am

Bull.

Not bull.

If civil rights were actually of subject here, why are gay organizations and dating services allowed to operate?

If you feel strongly enough, why don't you sue them? (You'll lose just like this person suing eHarmony will, but you'll be known as a great defender of straight-people's rights.)

Are they discriminating against straight people? NO.

Yes.

Here is the thing: the word "discrimination" has become almost a dirty word in America because of its racial tensions in its history. But make no mistake about it: certain discrimination is acceptable (DCsingles.com or any club that requires a particular profession) and some discrimination is desirable (men in the men's bathroom, women in the women's bathroom). The ONLY question here is in fact a civil rights question: can you discriminate on sexual orientation for a dating site? My answer is an emphatic yes, but that that comes with the recognition that it is still a valid question. Don't get bent out of shape by the question itself.

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 44):
Gay.com is a gay website that doesn't offer service/benefits/etc to straight people - discriminatory, or just not selling that service?

Gay.com is gay-oriented, but not gay-exclusive. Their personals section includes female-to-male and male-to-female hookups. Check it out yourself:

http://www.gay.com/personals/search/search.html?form=relationship

Emirates773ER

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 40):
How so? Its a given that in today's society you cannot deny service or otherwise discriminate based solely on membership in a protected class. If its proven that this website chooses to deny service based solely sexual orientation, a protected class in California, then they are in fact in violation of state laws. Personally I don't think that's the case, I think they just aren't designed to handle same sex, based on their matching software, in which case it's no different than Nordstrom's turning away a customer because they don't sell tires.

How is not providing a service a source of discrimnation? If I went over to a resturant and ordered some Halal or Kosher dish knowing well that they do not cater to those types of customers, will be my fault or the resturants?

NWA742

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 46):
Gay.com is gay-oriented, but not gay-exclusive. Their personals section includes female-to-male and male-to-female hookups. Check it out yourself:

I appreciate the correction, but that's really besides the point. I'm sure there are indeed gay establishments which cater only to gays.

Quoting D L X (Reply 45):
If you feel strongly enough, why don't you sue them? (You'll lose just like this person suing eHarmony will, but you'll be known as a great defender of straight-people's rights.)

I would be known as a fucktard like Linda.

Quoting D L X (Reply 45):
Here is the thing: the word "discrimination" has become almost a dirty word in America because of its racial tensions in its history. But make no mistake about it: certain discrimination is acceptable (DCsingles.com or any club that requires a particular profession) and some discrimination is desirable (men in the men's bathroom, women in the women's bathroom). The ONLY question here is in fact a civil rights question: can you discriminate on sexual orientation for a dating site? My answer is an emphatic yes, but that that comes with the recognition that it is still a valid question. Don't get bent out of shape by the question itself.

Exactly right - the word "discrimination" is now known only as a dirty word - which is why I'm trying to explain how a dating service not catering to gays is not discriminatory, in the sense discriminatory as the dirty word. More like discriminatory as not offering business because it's not necessary and shouldn't be required.

I guess if you want to get technical with the word - a steakhouse selling only steaks is discriminatory against vegetarians, but should it be sued?

I said before - if you're going to sue a dating service for not catering to gays, or a Christian establishment for not catering to Muslims - why don't we sue every single organization and business that has any type of specialization whatsoever? Or at least, every single organization that specializes in something having to do with race, sex, orientation, or religion?

-NWA742

[Edited 2007-06-01 19:48:58]

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 48):
I'm sure there are indeed gay establishments which cater only to gays.

I've yet to run across one, but if you can find one, go right ahead and post it.