Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyUSCG
Topic Author

Airline Job And The U.S. Coast Guard Reserve!

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:33 am

I just thought I would share with you that I just got a call from my dad informing me that I was selected for the United States Coast Guard Reserve and I head to training next month! This is the first step in my ultimate dream of flying C-130's for the Coast Guard! AND... I am also heading to Charlotte N.C. next week to begin my training with Piedmont Airlines! And I only have 300 total hours! woo hoo! My life pretty much could not be any better right now. So I just thought I would share my ridiculous amount of happiness with all of you right now Big grin

airfoilsguy

RE: Airline Job And The U.S. Coast Guard Reserve!

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:08 am

Your going to jinx it...  duck 

futureualpilot

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting FlyUSCG (Thread starter):
I just thought I would share with you that I just got a call from my dad informing me that I was selected for the United States Coast Guard Reserve and I head to training next month! This is the first step in my ultimate dream of flying C-130's for the Coast Guard! AND... I am also heading to Charlotte N.C. next week to begin my training with Piedmont Airlines! And I only have 300 total hours! woo hoo! My life pretty much could not be any better right now. So I just thought I would share my ridiculous amount of happiness with all of you right now

Congrats, but how are you going to do airline training, which normally takes 2+ months, and USCG training? Also, what are Pdt's mins, did you go through a school? Good luck, let us know how it goes!

FlyUSCG
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting Futureualpilot (Reply 2):
but how are you going to do airline training, which normally takes 2+ months,

Piedmont is the only regional airline to do AQP training which allows them to develop their own program instead of the boiler plate Part 121 training. As a result. their training can be completed in as little as 5 weeks. So Piedmont training starts June 6th and I report to the CG Academy on July 14th, so it'll be close. But of course the great thing about the reserves, your civilian job has to keep your job no matter what.

Quoting Futureualpilot (Reply 2):
Also, what are Pdt's mins, did you go through a school?

Since I graduated from Embry-Riddle, their minimums were 300 and 50 (as of last Saturday I have 300.1). If you DON'T come from a Riddle or N. Dakota or Purdue type school, I believe it's 500 and 100. I graduated from Prescott on May 5th (with snow flurries of all things) and Piedmont hired 13 of us 3 days before right in the middle of our finals week (they came to our campus and did their whole interview process)

LAXspotter

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting FlyUSCG (Thread starter):
just thought I would share with you that I just got a call from my dad informing me that I was selected for the United States Coast Guard Reserve and I head to training next month! This is the first step in my ultimate dream of flying C-130's for the Coast Guard! AND... I am also heading to Charlotte N.C. next week to begin my training with Piedmont Airlines! And I only have 300 total hours! woo hoo! My life pretty much could not be any better right now. So I just thought I would share my ridiculous amount of happiness with all of you right now

Good luck to you mate, i talked to someone who flew C130's out of San Diego, told me what an amazing aircraft it is. He too plans to get into pax airlines. Why do you want to fly regionals tho?

Mir

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:56 pm

What are the vision requirements to fly for the Coast Guard?

-Mir

A320ajm

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:01 pm

I am 15 and you are living my dream, of getting a pilot job in the forces or for an airline.
Good Luck
A320ajm

FlyUSCG
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:53 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 4):
Why do you want to fly regionals tho?

I didn't. But Piedmont was on our campus doing their interviews so I said "what the hell, why not" and signed up. Sure enough I walked out of there with a job once I got 50 more flight hours. Needless to say I busted my ass flying and the following Monday-Friday I flew over 24 hours and had the other 25 as of last Saturday. Plus I didn't get accepted into CG OCS for this August so I'd be a complete dumbass not to take a job flying for a regional airline. So basically, this is just an interim thing until I can go active duty in the Coast Guard.

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
What are the vision requirements to fly for the Coast Guard?

I think max of 20/50 that must be correctable to 20/20. But I'm not completely sure on that.

Mir

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting FlyUSCG (Reply 7):
I think max of 20/50 that must be correctable to 20/20.

Crap.  Sad

I'll look into it though.

-Mir

MCOflyer

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:43 pm

Congrats man. I hope you do well and look forward to seeing you fly as I travel to NY about 5x a year.

Hunter