MCOflyer
Topic Author

Movies You Wish That Were Not Edited.

Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:50 am

Hello, do you wish there movies that were not edited for various reasons? I bought The Breakfast Club at Target found out it was edited. Some others include American Pie series, Tears of the Sun.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

agill

RE: Movies You Wish That Were Not Edited.

Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:55 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
I bought The Breakfast Club at Target found out it was edited. Some others include American Pie series, Tears of the Sun.

Why on earth would anyone edit those movies??? It's not like its extreme violence or anything like that.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Agill (Reply 1):

Why on earth would anyone edit those movies??? It's not like its extreme violence or anything like that.

Just ask Walmart. They edit nearly every movie.

Hunter

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 2):

Confused Sorry, I've never heard of any "edited" versions of DVD's for sale. Perhaps you're confusing this with the rated and unrated versions of some movies?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

DeltaAVL

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:01 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
Sorry, I've never heard of any "edited" versions of DVD's for sale. Perhaps you're confusing this with the rated and unrated versions of some movies?

Or maybe he thinks Wal-Mart is the one who does the production editing, opposed to the producer. No, buddy. The DVD that you buy at Target or Wal-Mart is the same exact thing that they showed in the theaters.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

FlyingColours

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:07 am

Got to state the obvious....

.... Star Wars

The original three not those new prequels. Gredo did NOT shoot first dammit!!!

Of course the CG graphics really did look cool but they ruined it by adding in a crap lazer gun shot (so Han Solo was no longer a 'bad' guy) and then editing in the guy who played Anekin Skywalker, although he clearly looks uncomfortable in those shots.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 4):
The DVD that you buy at Target or Wal-Mart is the same exact thing that they showed in the theaters.

Not necessarily true. There are some cases where they do alter or change a few things on the DVD as opposed to the theatre. An outdated but classic example was the Octopus scene in "The Goonies" , it was played in the theatre but omitted on the VHS version, only to re-appear once again on the DVD.

DeltaAVL

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 6):
Not necessarily true. There are some cases where they do alter or change a few things on the DVD as opposed to the theatre. An outdated but classic example was the Octopus scene in "The Goonies" , it was played in the theatre but omitted on the VHS version, only to re-appear once again on the DVD.

Correct. But in the sense of the editing that MCOflyer is presumably talking about, scene take-outs or add-ins don't apply.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:14 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 7):
Correct. But in the sense of the editing that MCOflyer is presumably talking about, scene take-outs or add-ins don't apply.

Agreed, I'm assuming he means editing for violence, nudity, language, etc. Which I've never heard of, with the exception of rated and unrated versions of movies.

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 2):

What on earth are you talking about?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

DeltaAVL

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 8):
Agreed, I'm assuming he means editing for violence, nudity, language, etc. Which I've never heard of, with the exception of rated and unrated versions of movies.

checkmark 

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:21 am

I've heard of online sources such as Cleanflicks and such, but I've never heard of a department store being able to sell these movies.

DeltaAVL

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 11):
I've heard of online sources such as Cleanflicks and such, but I've never heard of a department store being able to sell these movies.

No, plus, the stores cannot legally edit the movie, because of copyrights. They wouldn't do it anyway; it'd take way too much time and effort on their behalf.

edit: wording

[Edited 2007-06-03 00:42:56]

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:42 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 12):
No, plus, the stores cannot legally edit the movie, because of copyrights. They wouldn't do it anyway; it'd take way too much time and effort on their behalf.

Plus, I've never heard of the movie studios/production studios making various versions of movies.

fumanchewd

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:46 am

One of the main reasons I try to avoid shopping at Walmart is their censorship. They ask authors and musicians to edit material that they find objectional. With an 15+% share in cd sales, most artists comply for the money.

BTW I saw the director's cut of Blade Runner and like it much better than the theater cut.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 14):

One of the main reasons I try to avoid shopping at Walmart is their censorship. They ask authors and musicians to edit material that they find objectional. With an 15+% share in cd sales, most artists comply for the money.

Could your provide a link to this? I've never heard of this and would be interesting to read if true.

photopilot

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:38 am

It's one of the reasons I also look to find the Director's Cut of any movie I'm interested in purchasing. The DC of "Dances With Wolves" is awesome compared to the theatrical release.

It's the same way I want the full Wide Screen version of the film and not the cropped scan and pan that fits a regular tv. I want to see ALL of what the camera saw.

walter747

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:38 am

I wish the Girls Gone Wild commercials on TV weren't edited.  yes 
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

NWA742

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 17):
I wish the Girls Gone Wild commercials on TV weren't edited.

biggrin 

I was waiting for that one.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 7):

USA showed the Breakfast club, and the scene where everyone sneaks by Vernon in the faculty lounge isn't on the DVD. Why?

DeltaAVL,

You are correct. Could you explain why people do this.

Hunter

CaptainJon

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:43 am

Isn't this illegal? I remember not too long ago, a company was selling edited DVDs for wholesome family goodness and were sued by the MPAA for altering copyrighted material. I do not know if Walmart received permission to do any sort of editing, but does the disc itself label itself as edited?

I find any sort of editing to be annoying especially on the telly.

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 19):
USA showed the Breakfast club, and the scene where everyone sneaks by Vernon in the faculty lounge isn't on the DVD. Why?

I've never seen The Breakfast Club, did this scene contain anything that some people may have found offensive? Otherwise, I would classify it as one of those mysteries such as the octopus scene in The Goonies.

Quoting CaptainJon (Reply 20):
Isn't this illegal? I remember not too long ago, a company was selling edited DVDs for wholesome family goodness and were sued by the MPAA for altering copyrighted material. I do not know if Walmart received permission to do any sort of editing, but does the disc itself label itself as edited?

I found this article. Never heard of anything like this until this thread.

http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/64058

EDIT: I forgot to add the link ....  blush 

[Edited 2007-06-03 02:55:50]

fumanchewd

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 15):
Could your provide a link to this? I've never heard of this and would be interesting to read if true.

Well here are some books that they refuse to stock.
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/10/301336.shtml

Like cancerous cells, adulterated censored CDs are proliferating in Wal-Mart's bins, in many cases without being identified as such.

In some cases, CDs are altered to bleep out "bad" words. For instance, the cover of a White Zombie disc, Supersexy Swingin' Sounds, was cleaned up by airbrushing a bikini onto a nude model reclining in a hammock (even though no naughty bits were visible). A song on the back of Primitive Radio Gods' Rocket CD is identified as "Motherfker" in the aforementioned record store, but as "Mother" at Wal-Mart.

The New York Times also identified creepier instances of corporate power being used to suppress ideas. Wal-Mart won't carry Sheryl Crow's new record because she chides the company for allegedly selling guns to children. The figures of Jesus and the Devil flanking John Mellencamp on the cover of his new record, Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky, are airbrushed out of the copies available at Wal-Mart. Mellancamp reportedly OK'd the change in the interest of record sales.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/so...a/01.09.97/walmart-music-9702.html

Other times, musicians change their lyrics and song titles. Nirvana, for example, changed its song title from "Rape Me" to "Waif Me" for the Wal-Mart version. They also changed the back-cover artwork for the album In Utero, which Wal-Mart objected to because it portrayed fetuses. And when Sheryl Crow released her self-titled album, Wal-Mart objected to the lyric, "Watch our children as they kill each other with a gun they bought at Wal-Mart discount stores." When Crow would not change the verse, the retailer refused to carry the album. This type of censorship has become so common that it is often regarded as simply another stage of editing. Record labels are now acting preemptively, issuing two versions of the same album for their big name artists. Less well-known bands, however, are forced to offer "sanitized" albums out of the gate.

Magazines don't escape Wal-Mart's "family values" rule, either. Cosmopolitan, Rolling Stone, Vibe and others have been pulled off the shelves because the retailer deemed the covers too provocative. Some magazines willingly send advance copies to big retailers like Wal-Mart for their approval, and will even alter cover artwork to avoid losing sales.

http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/stores3_2.html

http://media.www.vanderbiltorbis.com...Violates.Free.Speech-2471337.shtml

http://www.mindfully.org/Industry/Wal-Mart-CD-Standards12nov96.htm
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

DeltaAVL

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:55 am

You are correct. Could you explain why people do this.

You're talking about scene take-outs, right? Well, they do it for many reasons. One is to make the movie shorter. Another is to remove something that would make the rating change. For example, removing a sex scene that would undoubtedly raise the rating to "R", but the company doesn't want the movie to be "R", so they take out that sex scene and it becomes "PG-13".

I think this is what you were asking me about, I apologize if it wasn't.  Smile

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 22):
Well here are some books that they refuse to stock.
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/200...shtml

I read that article earlier today. Must be something concerning to the US stores, the stores in Canada (at least the ones I have been to) still carry many of the things that are mentioned in the article.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 23):

I think this is what you were asking me about, I apologize if it wasn't.

Exactly.

Hunter

CaptOveur

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:22 pm

Maybe I am crazy, but I remember a funny line in Die Hard 3 that seems to have been edited out of my DVD. I ditched my VHS version years ago, but I swear it was there.

It was when Bruce Willis and Sammuel L Jackson were "Borrowing" a Yugo.

Bruce asked if Sam could hot wire the car

Sam said something like "what? you think just because I am black I know how to steal a car"

Bruce said something like " no, I just thought because you were good with electronics.."

Then Sam says something like "I can, but that would take to long" and starts the car with his screwdriver

In my DVD version the brief argument about being able to steal cars because he is black is gone.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

aaflt1871

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:30 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088847/alternateversions
Where did everybody go?

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 27):

Thx, Where can I buy the un-edited version. I want it bad.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 26):

I think mine was too.

Hunter

ACDC8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 26):
Maybe I am crazy, but I remember a funny line in Die Hard 3 that seems to have been edited out of my DVD. I ditched my VHS version years ago, but I swear it was there.

It was when Bruce Willis and Sammuel L Jackson were "Borrowing" a Yugo.

Bruce asked if Sam could hot wire the car

Sam said something like "what? you think just because I am black I know how to steal a car"

Bruce said something like " no, I just thought because you were good with electronics.."

Then Sam says something like "I can, but that would take to long" and starts the car with his screwdriver

In my DVD version the brief argument about being able to steal cars because he is black is gone.

Just watched it on TV (unedited, thank God for APTN) and that line was in there, so no, you're not crazy!  Wink

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 23):
You're talking about scene take-outs, right? Well, they do it for many reasons. One is to make the movie shorter. Another is to remove something that would make the rating change. For example, removing a sex scene that would undoubtedly raise the rating to "R", but the company doesn't want the movie to be "R", so they take out that sex scene and it becomes "PG-13".

But, this is done by the DVD producer, correct?

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 28):

I would think any video store or online somewhere.

ltbewr

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:01 pm

What I hate is the editing done to make some movies or programs suitable for commercial television standards. Often such editing, although understandable, so that the program can be shown to the broad audiences, ruins it. Yes, Wal-Mart and some other major retailers will require vendors to provide edited versions of movies and music CDs to meet their standards, but don't forget that most of Wal-Mart stores are in more socialy conservitive areas and don't want to lose income due to carrying 'insensitive' material (of course there are the many conterversial issues with Wal-Mart that are far more 'insensitive' to the public).

DeltaAVL

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
But, this is done by the DVD producer, correct?

Right. Wal-Mart definitely doesn't do it.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:38 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 31):

Right. Wal-Mart definitely doesn't do it.

Ok, so they contract a DVD producer correct? Thanks for responses.

Hunter

DeltaAVL

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 32):
Ok, so they contract a DVD producer correct? Thanks for responses.

I think that the producer just goes ahead and makes the DVD edit, knowing that stores like Wal-Mart will want it, and then sells that version to a bunch of stores. So yeah, I think you've got the idea.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 33):

I think that the producer just goes ahead and makes the DVD edit, knowing that stores like Wal-Mart will want it, and then sells that version to a bunch of stores. So yeah, I think you've got the idea.

You've been a great help. Welcome to my RU list.

Hunter

DeltaAVL

Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 34):
You've been a great help. Welcome to my RU list.

Happy to help!  Smile

aaflt1871

Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 28):

Well they have never released a ultimate cut of the movie that incorporates the T.V scenes added into the feature release.

Interesting fact about The Breakfast Club

"The original running time of The Breakfast Club (1985) was about two and a half hours. Thinking the film would not be a hit, Universal Pictures trimmed the running time down to the modern 97 minute version. The studio then destroyed the negatives of the deleted scenes. John Hughes said in a "Premiere" magazine article that he has the only complete copy."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088847/trivia

With the Popularity of this film there is always hope John Hughes will turn in his complete copy to the studio and let them remaster it for a DVD release.
Where did everybody go?