LHMark

Baseball Manager Tantrums- The Point?

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:25 pm

Watching Chattanooga Braves manager Phillip Wellman go apeshit on the field makes me wonder about the tantrums some managers thrown when they get angry.

What's the point? It's already too late. You're ejected and so is your player. I guess everyone enjoys some time in the limelight.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

MCOflyer

RE: Baseball Manager Tantrums- The Point?

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:35 pm

Wow, that is so irresponsible. I hope he was disciplined for such rude behavior.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

DeltaAVL

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Hahahaha, I haven't seen anything like that before.

Quoting LHMARK (Thread starter):

What's the point? It's already too late.

But at the same time, you might as well go out there and do that if you're already thrown out.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

Mir

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:56 pm

Watching Chattanooga Braves manager Phillip Wellman go apeshit on the field makes me wonder about the tantrums some managers thrown when they get angry.

There's a difference between a shouting match and what he did. The former I have no problem with - sometimes it'll get a team fired up. Plus, it's a part of the game. But what that guy did was ridiculous.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

aviationmaster

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Wow!  rotfl 

Irresponsible and ridiculous behaviour, but I have to admit that I did enjoy the grenade throwing bit Big grin

srbmod

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Chattanooga Braves

Slight correction, Chattanooga's Southern League team is the Lookouts (AA affiliate of the Reds). The Braves' affiliate in this league are the Mississippi Braves.

I have to say Mississippi's manager went way over the line with this tantrum (Funny as it was, that sort of behavior has no place in sports.). Makes some of the classic Billy Martin ones looks tame by comparison.

ltbewr

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:21 pm

To me this 'manager' needs some serious psychlogical counsuling and maybe never allowed to be a manger again. I also believe that MLB ought to put in multi-game suspensions for those managers who get thrown out of more that one game in a season for excessive arguing and related misbeheavor toward Umpires.

LHMark

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 5):
Slight correction, Chattanooga's Southern League team is the Lookouts (AA affiliate of the Reds). The Braves' affiliate in this league are the Mississippi Braves.

Sorry. They probably draw more fans than the Altanta Braves do, anyway. Especially in the Playoffs.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

nosedive

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:47 pm

I laughed and thought it was great.

halls120

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:53 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
I also believe that MLB ought to put in multi-game suspensions for those managers who get thrown out of more that one game in a season for excessive arguing and related misbeheavor toward Umpires.

I can see you don't really understand baseball.

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 8):
I laughed and thought it was great.

While I liked the covering up the plate and showing the umpire the zone he was calling, the crawling up to the mound was a bit much.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

RJdxer

Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:50 am

By the looks of it, it was the pitcher that got thrown out. If so, and the guy didn't have anyone up and throwing, then he was just probably trying to buy time to get someone warmed up in the bullpen. He didn't hit anybody or throw the actual bases at anybody which would have been dangerous, so let him act out. It's baseball, there is no real time limit on a game other than whatever curfew the city sets.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

piercey

Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:02 am

Makes some of the classic Billy Martin ones looks tame by comparison.

Hell, makes Buddy Bell and Lou Pinella look sane, and after seeing Buddy last year, that takes a lot  Wink

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

AirTranTUS

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:35 am

Hey, he stole third base! And second too.
I love ASO!

aa61hvy

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:40 am

At least it makes the game interesting..
Go big or go home

TPAnx

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:47 am

Read recently about Don Zimmer arguing with an umpire. Both men threw down their wads of chewing tobacco  vomit  and went at it...Zimmer was ejected..left the field...but had to return. Seems he'd tossed his teeth along with the tobacco!
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

dsmflyer

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:38 am

What's the point?

1. Light a fire under the ass of your team, and fire them up.
2. And in this case, stalling to give the incoming pitcher more time to warm up.
3. And if you're already thrown out, you might as well get your money's worth.

There are plenty of good reasons for managers to argue. This is just an extreme example of one such incident.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 1):
Wow, that is so irresponsible. I hope he was disciplined for such rude behavior.

It's funny. It's okay to laugh.

To me this 'manager' needs some serious psychlogical counsuling and maybe never allowed to be a manger again.

Hilarious.

also believe that MLB ought to put in multi-game suspensions for those managers who get thrown out of more that one game in a season

That's a terrible idea and nobody will go for it. Arguing is a part of the game. This guy will no doubt get his deserved suspension, and that's punishment enough.

srbmod

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:43 am

I also believe that MLB ought to put in multi-game suspensions for those managers who get thrown out of more that one game in a season for excessive arguing and related misbeheavor toward Umpires.

If there was such a rule, Bobby Cox would be suspended for most of a season. Last weekend alone, he was tossed out of two games in a row.

tbar220

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:50 am

That's one of the best baseball tantrums I've ever seen, classic Big grin
NO URLS in signature

AirportSeven

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:14 am

That was an easy mistake. The M-Braves were playing at Chattanooga and Wellman used to manage the Lookouts.

Apparently, he is known for this sort of thing:

"The Lookouts paid tribute to Wellman by showing highlights of his best antics on the stadium videoboard after his final game as manager there in 2003."

I had a ticket for the game Friday night and wound up not going. The Lookouts took three out of five during this series, not bad against the M-Braves, they are stout this year.

RichPhitzwell

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:23 am

Agreed with many of the reasons listed above, but to add one. This is minor league, they need the help selling tickets and that stunt helps.

Got to love it.
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid