BlueElephant
Topic Author

F1 2007: Canada

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:06 pm

Alright Ladies and Gentleman....

Canada's coming up...and unfortunately, I think this race is going to the Ferraris..assuming no mechanical problems.

I also feel that Alonso will not do well.

Any thoughts, news or surprises?

lhrstu

RE: F1 2007: Canada

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:59 pm

Hopefully this track will suit the Ferraris a bit more than Monaco so we can have more of a race. Should be a close one.

GSM763

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:03 pm

Canada has always been a great to watch, never that great of a race to attend, but that is just my opinion. Im thinkin g this will be Hamiltons race, however a Ferrari 2 and 3 would ne be unexpected. I just think its time for Hamilton to snag one.

Everyone come to the USGP for an a.net meet! hahaha

bill142

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:05 pm

It's going to be a tough one to call. Ferrari are defintely more suited to this track then Monaco, but it's clear McLaren have closed the gap.

Quoting BlueElephant (Thread starter):
I also feel that Alonso will not do well.

Everytime you say that he wins.

sudden

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:34 pm

The battle will be closer then Monaco, but Mclaren are really strong so I would not say that Ferrari will have an easy weekend.

Personally I think Kimi will put in a very strong performance, and also outpace Massa.
Drivers really have to watch out and keep it on the raceline as graining is a big issue on this track.

Canada is always fun as the last chicane after the long traight usually offers some nice wallscratching and overtaking.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

nosedive

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Make a motion for "New Rules"

All thread starters must contain youtube clips relevant to the race under discussion.
Mika, take us for a lap:

Canadians can drive, too!

Oh, and the newest F1 PS3 game has a pit stop mini game (from Canada)

bill142

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 5):

Oh, and the newest F1 PS3 game has a pit stop mini game (from Canada)

That guy is such a n00b. he only got one green tick! that was a 16 second pit stop that should have been 8

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 3):
Everytime you say that he wins.

If that is the case, Then i hope he wins....Maybe that will will make him lose.

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 5):
Make a motion for "New Rules"

Sounds like a good plan.

Quoting Sudden (Reply 4):
The battle will be closer then Monaco, but Mclaren are really strong so I would not say that Ferrari will have an easy weekend.

Ferrari were a lot faster at Paul Ricard when the track was configured for a Canada Layout. I am not saying they will have a really easy weekend...but It looks like this one is theirs...

Although i want Hamilton to win...I won't say anything this time.

nosedive

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 7):
Although i want Hamilton to win...I won't say anything this time.

Great, now he's jinxed! LouHam is going to hit the "Champions Wall," and it's all Blue's fault! GAH!!!!!!!!!

Reporters ask really stupid questions
Of course he doesn't give a shit. He's racing!

Renault is looking optimistic; they "appear" to have BMW Sauber in their sights. Kubica better do 2 things this weekend: make the Canadian press STFU about Jacques not being there and make Renault STFU about moving forward. GO BMW!

Supersofts for Canada, Softs and Mediums for USGP
Personally, I like to have all tire sets avail to teams, with teams choosing 2 compounds at the end of Fri testing. Teams could choose whatever sets suited them best, regardless of the other teams. Of course, logistics make that near impossible... too many tires.

Quote:
Similar to Monte Carlo, being more or less a street circuit, Montreal is not used many times so it’s very dusty and very slippery, which is why we’ve opted for the soft and super soft compounds. It will be a bit of a challenge to make the tyres survive on this track, especially at the beginning of the weekend with the high speeds and the expected high temperatures.

Guess they need grip, and the super softs have a bunch of grip...

Rosberg with Williams in 2008
A star in the same league as LouHam? Frank, Nico's good... but come on.

Quote:
Toro Rosso co-owner Gerhard Berger, meanwhile, told Sport Bild that the attention of every team boss in pit lane has been drawn to Rosberg's driving in 2007. "Ferrari included," he quipped.

I think the Ferrari thing is a bit overdrawn. So before this gets too speculative, admiration of a driver is not the same thing as offering him a contract, or even talking to him about a contract. Ferrari probably only admired Nico.

Making Tracks

Quote:
Ecclestone is already applying pressure for a minimally 20-race schedule in the near future, but Williams said the sport risks becoming less attractive for its workers.

Going back to questions raised in previous threads. Who is going to lose a GP? How much is Bernie playing Chicken with the tracks?

Honda

Quote:
“At the Paul Ricard test, we found a good set-up on the Montreal configured circuit, which we hope will translate well to the race weekend. We are continuing to develop the car, not only in terms of new aero parts but also mechanical improvements. Although we have not had the opportunity to test since Monaco, we will keep pushing as hard as possible for the North American races."

Anyone have the Paul Ricard (North America) numbers handy?

ba757

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:36 am

I'm a bit dubious about Mclaren's straight line speed.

The Ferrari is faster on the straights, and there is a big straight here where Ferrari may be able just to waltz away. The question is will the Mclaren be superior around the bendy part of the circuit?

I really wouldn't want to make any estimates now about what may happen this weekend, I want to see some practice times first!

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 8):
Great, now he's jinxed! LouHam is going to hit the "Champions Wall," and it's all Blue's fault! GAH!!!!!!!!!

Bah, if I remember rightly nobody has hit that properly in awhile.

jamesbuk

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 9):

Button did IIRC 2 years ago, damaged rear suspension I think.

Ferrari should do well, i dont want to jinx it though  silly 

Mclaren should do well on the bendy bit of the circuit but like someone said do they have the straight line speed?

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

nosedive

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 9):
Bah, if I remember rightly nobody has hit that properly in awhile.

If LouHam's Monaco driving style is any indication, he'll hit the damn wall a few times and brag about how he got away with it. Alonso will fire back that he is the #1 driver and that his superior driving won the day. Kimi will tell both drivers to shut up b/c he drove with a hangover and their bickering is making his headache worse. At that point, Ron Dennis will mention the words "team" and "orders" together, albeit with a 45 second gap between the words, causing Bernie to investigate matters. Oh, and Adrian Sutil also hits the wall, but no one cares, save Ralf Schumacher, who gets sacked for making excuses. I miss anything?

GSM763

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 11):
If LouHam's Monaco driving style is any indication, he'll hit the damn wall a few times and brag about how he got away with it. Alonso will fire back that he is the #1 driver and that his superior driving won the day. Kimi will tell both drivers to shut up b/c he drove with a hangover and their bickering is making his headache worse. At that point, Ron Dennis will mention the words "team" and "orders" together, albeit with a 45 second gap between the words, causing Bernie to investigate matters. Oh, and Adrian Sutil also hits the wall, but no one cares, save Ralf Schumacher, who gets sacked for making excuses. I miss anything?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

ba757

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:47 am

I miss anything?

You could have at least mentioned Renault or whinging Button. Other than that, probably spot on!  Smile

bill142

Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:47 am

Anyone have the Paul Ricard (North America) numbers handy?

Those tests were two weeks ago,

I miss anything?

Rubens and Jenson will claim Honda have taken a leap forward despite not going anywhere.

Duff44

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:41 am

Going back to questions raised in previous threads. Who is going to lose a GP? How much is Bernie playing Chicken with the tracks?

If you're a classic venue that has been on the schedule forever, you're in jeopardy.

If you're a Hermann Tilke designed cookie-cutter piece of shit track with good amenities, you're in!

Yeah sure
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

sudden

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:54 pm

I miss anything?

Might have been that Albers will continue wining about Spykers poor performance, but that the team is is working hard.
This team is working damn hard (according to Albers), but they don't get anywhere. hm..........  scratchchin 

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 16):

Might have been that Albers will continue wining about Spykers poor performance, but that the team is is working hard.

Like Albers has been in a better car to compare it against  Yeah sure

sudden

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Check out the poll below who has a major lead in regards to win the Canadian GP.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/poll.php?a...vote&pollID=1079&pollanswerID=4419

Hamilton is not getting much votes, but on the other hand I am pretty flat on that issue. I mean, so many people thinks it is his time to win. Why not turn that around and say it's his time to make a mistake or a DNF? That will for sure happen as he is just human as the rest of the grid.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 18):
Why not turn that around and say it's his time to make a mistake or a DNF?

I've been saying this all season and I get accused of being a Hamilton hater!

sudden

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 19):
I've been saying this all season and I get accused of being a Hamilton hater!

And some even compare him with Schumi! Why?

Compare the cars from when Schumi started his career, and todays cars. For sure, to drive a F1 car must be very demanding and require skills that I for sure don't have driving my Subaru to the shop, but come on!

When Hamilton is a 8 time champ then I will say that he is better then Schumi, Fangio etc.

Not to take anything away from Hamilton cause he is a great talent that have showed that he can be fast!
Just to much hype.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

nosedive

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:11 pm

Damn, I did miss a few things. Maybe next time.

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 15):
If you're a classic venue that has been on the schedule forever, you're in jeopardy.

Or if you won't pay the electric bill...

Quoting Sudden (Reply 18):
Why not turn that around and say it's his time to make a mistake or a DNF? That will for sure happen as he is just human as the rest of the grid.

At the moment, he isn't trying to do anything too daring or brash. I say he'll be taken out before he makes a mistake.

Quoting Sudden (Reply 20):

When Hamilton is a 8 time champ then I will say that he is better then Schumi, Fangio etc.

No Senna!? Then again, our resident Ferrari hater from down under may have something to say about Hamilton and Schumie  Wink.

Remember LouHam, you're only as good as your last race, hence why Kimi "sucks."
You know what, I want Kimi to kick the field's ass this weekend. Not just win, but lap at least one of the McLarens... and that coming from a non-Ferrari fan! Hell, even Mario Andretti was chapping Kimi's ass. Go worry about your slow grandson, Mario.

sudden

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 21):
You know what, I want Kimi to kick the field's ass this weekend. Not just win, but lap at least one of the McLarens...

LOL!

That would be something for the media. Big grin

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 21):
Remember LouHam, you're only as good as your last race, hence why Kimi "sucks."
You know what, I want Kimi to kick the field's ass this weekend. Not just win, but lap at least one of the McLarens... and that coming from a non-Ferrari fan! Hell, even Mario Andretti was chapping Kimi's ass. Go worry about your slow grandson, Mario.

Hahah....Yes this will happen...It'll be Alonso too, who will end the race, and blame the car.

Btw..Did anyone see this?

Seems our bitter friend Villeneuve has a few words to say about Mr. Hamilton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6726711.stm

sudden

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Villeneuve takes any chance to snap at Schumi, but he actually has some valid points, such as saying
"And we still haven't seen how he reacts under pressure - that will be interesting to watch."

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

nosedive

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 24):
"And we still haven't seen how he reacts under pressure - that will be interesting to watch."

You know, there is just something about making it look easy... that just drives the other drivers nuts. You know, as much as Button is ignored these days, I'll always respect the Brit for making JV look like an assclown. Hey JV, what corner are you going to watch the race from? Ass.

dhhornet

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:11 am

I can see the future...  old 

That useless tw*t Ralf will be sacked at last! Trulli will p*ss on him again.

Massa will put it in the wall. I still think he is good but still twitchy. Kimi will win it and still not smile (and JT)

Alonso and the Boy Wonder will take each other out! Ron will be a grumpy bear!

Fisi will fis out.

Webber will be high on the grid but he will conk out. DC will start from last and finish just outside the points.

Honda will be totally crap.

Sato will be in the points.

I will shout at ITVs James '***kin' Allen telling me about the bloody marbles again on the bends (They don't tell you the rules when you watch football!?) and he will be repeating everything Martin says straight after.

Same crap but I still love it.

I do miss JV. He had a personality - thank god!

MCOflyer

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:35 am

Are the rules different from the US?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

nosedive

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 27):
Are the rules different from the US?

Only if Bernie wants them to be. He seems to make things up as the season goes along. Other than that, not sure what you're asking about, man.

ba757

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting DHHornet (Reply 26):
I will shout at ITVs James '***kin' Allen telling me about the bloody marbles again on the bends (They don't tell you the rules when you watch football

Well the marbles aren't the rules are they? They are lumps of rubber from tyre degradation.

It is only like in Fussball when they talk about pitch conditions - I believe - not that I watch that much.  Smile

nosedive

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:26 am

They don't tell you the rules when you watch football!?

Yeah, but in Soccer, they usually have something to talk about! "Yep, they're gonna pass in the pits, so we don't have to say anything of value until then. How about we bitch about how boring driver aids make the race?"
"Great idea! I could go on for hours about that!"

ba757

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:12 am

OT, but for any F1 fans who are not aware of our racing game league and are interested in it, see this thread:
A.net Racing League – Season 4 (by BA757 Jun 3 2007 in Non Aviation)

Smile

MCOflyer

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:14 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 28):
Other than that, not sure what you're asking about, man.

Do the rules for racing differ from different countries?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

nosedive

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 32):

Do the rules for racing differ from different countries?

Nope, just the tracks. Or.... that's how it SHOULD go.

legoguy

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:40 am

I will shout at ITVs James '***kin' Allen telling me about the bloody marbles again on the bends (They don't tell you the rules when you watch football!?) and he will be repeating everything Martin says straight after.

Actually I quite ennoy his commentary! And Martin Brundle's aswell. And remember last year when Kimi went out of line around the hairpin on the very last lap, giving 2nd place to Schumi  Smile

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 6):
That guy is such a n00b. he only got one green tick! that was a 16 second pit stop that should have been 8

Agreed. My cat could have done a better lap.

I think this maybe be the track to finally overcome Hamilton. There are two possible walls to crash into. The last croner and I think the 3rd or 4ths corner into the track. One of these two walls may become troublesome to him. I'm actually hoping for Hamilton to get a bad quali to start down the field to see what he is capable of. It would be nice to see Kimi come back and win this race.

I would like to see Coulthard, Rosberg and Davidson in the points and maybe Barrichello or Button as the Honda's do have a good straight line speed and shit cornering.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

sudden

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:32 pm

I can see the future...

That useless tw*t Ralf will be sacked at last! Trulli will p*ss on him again.

Massa will put it in the wall. I still think he is good but still twitchy. Kimi will win it and still not smile (and JT)

Alonso and the Boy Wonder will take each other out! Ron will be a grumpy bear!

Fisi will fis out.

Webber will be high on the grid but he will conk out. DC will start from last and finish just outside the points.

Honda will be totally crap.

Sato will be in the points.

Darn!
Why did you have to give away the result up front! Big grin

I see a lot of bad comments about ITV and their commentators. Is it that bad? Martin Brundle should be able to reflect it pretty good!? He has after all been there done that.

I salute our coverage and commentators here in The Netherlands. They are really great and also knows what they are talking about. Every Sunday before the race, they also have an interview with a driver, team boss, tech director, or some other interesting person from any team.
It's basically more then just the race. Also, on Dutch TV you are also allowed to use bad language, whish spices up things now and then.  bigthumbsup 

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:57 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 35):
Why did you have to give away the result up front

Go and put $50 on the race and the tell me how upset you are  wink 

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Alright...Here's my Guesses.

1. Kimi
2. Hamilton
3. Massa
4. Kubica
5. Alonso..

Other interesting things. Jenson button will Crash out, as will Sutil and Wurz. Scott Speeds engine will crap out. Something will go wrong for BMW and Renault and Hamilton will not start in the first 4.

Alright Guys...we'll see.

( But I hope that Kimi doesn't win  Wink)

dhhornet

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:53 pm

quote=Sudden,reply=35]I see a lot of bad comments about ITV and their commentators. Is it that bad? Martin Brundle should be able to reflect it pretty good!? He has after all been there done that.[/quote]

Sudden
I think Martin does a very good job and he is not a problem. ITV do a ok job but they could do a lot better:
More about the aerodynamics on the car that change every race, more interviews with the mechanics (more interesting than the modern driver) asking what they do etc, talk with the back end of the grid more. Mike up the track more like they do in the USA and get some better sounds. More on-board shots when the race is dull from the outside. I could go on...

Maybe it was hard for anyone following the great M Walker. But James is just boring. I wish we had someone who said the what we are thinking when things happen. He talks down at the viewers and gets excited over boring races and says the samething all the time.

....Or maybe I should learn Dutch?

bill142

Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting DHHornet (Reply 38):
But James is just boring. I wish we had someone who said the what we are thinking when things happen.

Except when he really gets going like at the Nurburgring in 2005 when Kimis suspension failed on the final lap.

sudden

Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:37 pm

....Or maybe I should learn Dutch?

Go for it. Big grin

We always have one commentator in the booth, and the other one is down in the pitlane chatting with drivers, mechs etc.
He also interview the drivers on the grid before the start of the race.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 37):
Other interesting things. Jenson button will Crash out, as will Sutil and Wurz. Scott Speeds engine will crap out. Something will go wrong for BMW and Renault and Hamilton will not start in the first 4.

Don't forget that Albers will complain about the tyres, and that was the reason for that his engine broke.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

nosedive

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 14):

Those tests were two weeks ago,

More on-board shots when the race is dull from the outside. I could go on...

ITV has no control over that. It's the responsibility of the home race to ensure common TV coverage.

German TV keeps focus pretty much on the German drivers and Mercedes. Tech analysis is lacking. You know, I didn't think I'd say this, but I kinda miss SpeedTV's F1 coverage.

I wish we had someone who said the what we are thinking when things happen. He talks down at the viewers and gets excited over boring races and says the samething all the time.

Sounds like Derek Daly when CBS gets to cover an F1 race. Or what the current ChampCar commentators do.

Oh, and those in the A.net Racing League:
Nosaj Rehcaht fights tax evastion... in Switzerland.

legoguy

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:57 am

Skip to around the 55 second mark  Smile

I accidentally posted this in the a.net racing league thread as well.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

cornish

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:03 am

Ferrari will be much more suited to Canada and USA.

I think they'll win this weekend. raikkonen has to have a good result or he's in real trouble as the other three just aren't dropping points right now. On form I'll go for a Massa win though as i think his car will be more suited to montreal tha McClaren and he's got the momentum that Kimi doesn't have right now.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

bill142

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 43):
raikkonen has to have a good result or he's in real trouble as the other three just aren't dropping points right now

It's arguable that Hamilton and Massa are by far and away more consistent then their more illustrious and high paid teammates. Massa hasn't really had a bad race since Melbourne.

cornish

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 44):
It's arguable that Hamilton and Massa are by far and away more consistent then their more illustrious and high paid teammates. Massa hasn't really had a bad race since Melbourne.

They have been.

Massa's race in Melbourne was ok - its was his qualifying that was the problem. His race in Malaysia was poor though. since then just fine.

an outsider for the podium may actually be Renault. Fisichella has always gone very well at Montreal, but i can see bottom step of podium at best and only with a couple of retirements ahead of him. If it rains however they have a much better chance.....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

sudden

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:08 pm

For some reason I also think Renault will be strong this weekend. They will come creeping up behind as the season progresses.

And then we have Honda,
Will Button and Barrichello make it through the parade lap!?

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:28 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 46):
For some reason I also think Renault will be strong this weekend. They will come creeping up behind as the season progresses.

They claim to be on par with BMW now so we'll see. I'm a little confused with BMW they were super fast during the pre-season but have so far failed to pose any threat to McLaren and Ferrari. Perhaps they were just show-boating. I'd really like to see them pick up and pose a realistic challenge to them both, to keep them honest if nothing else.

bill142

Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:51 am

News From Canada

Alonso Leads & Toyota have dodgey suspension
http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070608215945.shtml

Speed whinges about Webber brake test
http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070608230453.shtml

Honda blames the soft rubber. I would have blamed the car.
http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070608233743.shtml

sudden

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:50 pm

Alonso on top, but it does not really tell that much, yet. Today we will see who is really fast.

I hope SAF1 will qualify in the top 10 again.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!