Springbok747
Topic Author

Need Some NZ Travel Advice

Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:29 am

I will be in Auckland, New Zealand for around 12 days next month, from the 5th to the 17th (its a work trip..sort of). I will be free on most of those days...and was wondering if thats enough to see the whole country. I've been to Christchurch and Dunedin, and transited through Auckland, but never really went out of the airport.

So whats worth visiting in AKL? Is it possible to hire a car from AKL and drive down to Dunedin? I don't really need to stick to a budget...so hit me with some ideas.

Thanks in advance  Smile
אני תומך בישראל

kiwiandrew

RE: Need Some NZ Travel Advice

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:50 pm

What a lot of people fail to realise is that New Zealand is stretched out over a long distance North to South and that the roads are generally of a fairly poor standard ( a population of 4 million people in a land area slighter larger than Great Britain does not give a good tax base for infrastructure ) - if you only have 12 days and have to spend some of that working I would not waste time a couple of days of that time driving from AKL to DUD ( although the ferry crossing is apparently stunning ) . Other than that , recommendations on what to see / do depend very much on the sort of things you are interested . If scenery is your thing spend most of your time in the South Island - and even though Queenstown is sort of a cliché you should make sure that you see it - on the other hand if you are interested in finding out about Maori culture you should make sure that you get some time in Rotorua , if you are in to trout fishing Taupo is probably where you want to go . Everyone likes different things out of a holiday , and without knowing what pushes your buttons it is hard to make recommendations - I am sure if you post some ideas of what you like then you will get a lot more responses ( and they will probably be of more use to you )

Springbok747
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:34 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 1):

Thanks for that! I'm interested in the general touristy sort of things, not interested in fishing or learning about Maori culture (no disrespect). I think you're right, its better to fly down to DUD rather than spend 2 days driving!
אני תומך בישראל

kiwiinoz

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 2):
I'm interested in the general touristy sort of things, not interested in fishing or learning about Maori culture

Some would say these are touristy things!!

What sort of things do you mean by "touristy"? Food & Wine? Exploring Wilderness? Extreme Sports? Sleeping with Ski Instructors?

EK20

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:46 pm

Don't want to hijack the thread but what's the best way to fly from SYD to Wellington?

Springbok747
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 3):
What sort of things do you mean by "touristy"? Food & Wine? Exploring Wilderness? Extreme Sports? Sleeping with Ski Instructors?

Just sightseeing....food and wine, exploring, and snow...I hope there is some snow in July.
אני תומך בישראל

LAXspotter

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting EK20 (Reply 4):
SYD to Wellington

Qantas, Air New Zealand, Freedom Air. Those are your choices, although i have a feeling routing through Auckland will be cheaper
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

EK20

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 6):
routing through Auckland will be cheaper

But that's the other side of the island isn't it, hours away. It doesn't have to be the cheapest. Are flights fairly regular and what's the flying time, and should we book in advance before we go to SYD or could we just book while in SYD? We will be in SYD for a month.

LAXspotter

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Quoting EK20 (Reply 7):
we go to SYD or could we just book while in SYD? We will be in SYD for a month.

that question should be directed to the Aussies/Kiwis, ive never been to Australia all the information is from Flighstats.com hehe. I can tell you that the flights are regular tho and the expected time should be around 2:30-3 Hrs.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

kiwiinoz

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 5):
Just sightseeing....food and wine, exploring, and snow...I hope there is some snow in July.

There will definitely be snow in July. If it's in winter I would not bother at all with the North island. Head straight to Queenstown and base yourself there. Snow, adventure. There is even some wineries not far away.

jafa39

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 2):
not interested in fishing or learning about Maori culture (no disrespect). I

Hmmmm, you'll be missing 75% of what NZ is about if you go avoiding the Maori Culture....you should be utterly ashamed to have made that remark...maybe you should just go to Howick and Nth Shore, spend your time with the Safa's and the Poms, wouldn't want anyone to rock your preconcieved notions of what makes New Zealand the wonderful place it is.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

VHVXB

Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Thread starter):

hey Bok I did the South Island last month except for Queenstown and the Picton/Nelson Area. I would listen to what KiwiinOz said. Also Flight centre has a sale on for holiday packages to Queenstown
Heres a thread which may help you Things See And Do In NZ South Island. (by VHVXB Mar 22 2007 in Non Aviation)

And heres the trip report I posted for that trip SYD-CHC-SYD & Sights (Many Pics) (by VHVXB May 2 2007 in Trip Reports)

aerorobnz

Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:56 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 10):
Hmmmm, you'll be missing 75% of what NZ is about if you go avoiding the Maori Culture

actually the post Colonial history of NZ is also interesting, and the 6 out of every 7 NZers that isn't Maori could feel hard done by in terms of their contribution to what makes up New Zealand. Regardless I think the country is more interesting than a few replica Maori villages and a hangi dinner. Our Geography and Biology is far more interesting than any human factors in New Zealand.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Springbok747
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 11):

Thanks for that VH!

Hmmmm, you'll be missing 75% of what NZ is about if you go avoiding the Maori Culture....you should be utterly ashamed to have made that remark...

Why? Many people visit NZ for its sheer beauty...and not only for its culture...similar to Oz. How many people do you really think visit Oz see and learn Aboriginal culture?

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 12):
Our Geography and Biology is far more interesting than any human factors in New Zealand.

Yup...thats what I thought too.
אני תומך בישראל

EK20

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:05 am

Anyone fancy giving me a tour of Wellington when I come?  pray   Smile

aerorobnz

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 13):
Yup...thats what I thought too.

I recommend
1) Northland/Bay Of Islands
2) Tongariro National Park
3) The West Coast of the South Island (Nelson South to Queenstown)
4) Abel Tasman NP
5) The Catlins (between DUD-IVC)

In Auckland go out to TiriTiri Matangi Island to see birds you won't otherwise see in the wild. It's a good boat trip as well.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

QANTASforever

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting EK20 (Reply 4):
Don't want to hijack the thread but what's the best way to fly from SYD to Wellington?

On an airplane.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

bill142

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 16):
On an airplane.

rotfl   rotfl  Captain Obvious to the rescue again!

kiwiinoz

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:41 am

How many people do you really think visit Oz see and learn Aboriginal culture?

Yes but there's a difference. For a range of reasons, (let's not get into that!!) Aboriginal culture has very little influence on Australian culture as a whole. Conversely, in New Zealand, there are many Maori cultural traits that exist among the population as a whole. It is a more important, and more widely embraced cultural influence than that of Aboriginal culture.

workflyer

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:49 am

If you are in Auckland you have close access to some attractions which are worth some attention.

Even though it is winter, the west coast beaches (Within the city boundaries) are worth checking out. Wild and windswept at that time of year. Black sand too, which is a bit different.

On the Eastern side there are the gulf islands. Tiritirimatangi as mentioned above, Rangitoto, a volcanic island in the middle of the harbour mouth (Though dormant at the moment) Waiheke Island with its vinyards and artists. these islands are readily accessible by ferry.

Down in the Waikato and the King Country 1-2 hours south of Auckland by car there are attractions such as the Waitomo Caves, where you can go blackwater rafting.

Coromandel peninsula is not far away. You can actually dig your own hotpool on hotwater beach if you want, just check the tides before you go. You want low tide.

Rotorua is worth a look, for the Maori culture arts and crafts as well as the adrenalin activities nearby, jetboating, bungy, skydiving etc.

White Island off the Bay of Plenty coast, chance to walk on an active volcano. This is within a few hours drive then a 30 minute helocopter ride of AKL.

A couple of hours further south and you can go skiing on Mt Ruapehu.

There you go, a few attractions of the North Island from teh middle bit up.

S.I. is well worth a look as well, but the others have already covered those bits.

QANTASforever

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:09 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 18):
It is a more important, and more widely embraced cultural influence than that of Aboriginal culture.

So...Maori culture is more important than Indigenous Australian culture? Qualify that the statement, if you will.

QFF

kiwiinoz

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 20):
So...Maori culture is more important than Indigenous Australian culture? Qualify that the statement, if you will.

It's more important in the breadth and depth of it's influence. Aboriginal culture is, unfortunately, not an important influence on mainstream Australian culture. Comparatively, very few Australians possess a great knowledge of Aboriginal culture, and there seems to be very little interest in knowing any more or increasing it's influence, (in fact, on the occasion when I raise the prospect of increasing it's influence in some local government and tourism projects, this was often met with fairly negative reaction)

Bit of a shame really, seeing as the are truly indigenous, a much longer history of living in Australia than the Maoris do in New Zealand.

QANTASforever

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 21):
It's more important in the breadth and depth of it's influence.

Oh - you mean influence not importance. Be very very very careful - because if you go around saying one culture is more "important" than another when you actually mean "influential" it can leave you open to suggestions of racism or cultural superiority.

QFF

kiwiinoz

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:31 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 22):
Oh - you mean influence not importance. Be very very very careful - because if you go around saying one culture is more "important" than another when you actually mean "influential" it can leave you open to suggestions of racism or cultural superiority.

I'm well aware of how these things can be misconstrued by people who are more interested in correcting semantics than talking about issues.

What I am saying, is that the Maori culture is more important to NZ culture than Aboriginal culture is to Australian culture BECAUSE of it's influence. It's not that I think this is a good thing, it's just the reality

aerorobnz

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:59 pm

there are many Maori cultural traits that exist among the population as a whole

such as? Apart from some saying 'kia ora' instead of 'gidday/hello' and the Government agencies having their slogans in English & Maori, I don't really think the Maori culture permeates into the culture of the average New Zealander.

jafa39

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:47 am

How many people do you really think visit Oz see and learn Aboriginal culture?

Be a shame if they deliberatley ignored it though eh? Be like going to the Uk and not seeing any of the white culture (you know....spending 3 weeks in Southall  Smile )

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 24):
there are many Maori cultural traits that exist among the population as a whole

such as?

Heaps of the visual imagery, a lot of the language has a Maori influence (like there being no plural of "woman") The entire history is inextricably bound up with the Maori/Pakeha interface.

That certain places are considered "Tapu: (Taboo) for Maori to live and why, when you go there you find the white people living there are usally a bit strange.

90% of the place names, their meaning and how that ties into historical events, geographical and visual features.

The uses of medicinal herbs.

The fact the New Zealanders are how they are isn't a result of them mainly being Europeans...its is inspite of that.

The fact that the indegenous peoples have intermarried with the Pakeha to such an exxtent that "mixed marriages" or "mixed race" is no longer an issue, unlike the UK where it is a political badge and unlike the US where it is still frowned upon in certain areas.

My organisation has many exchange trips and those who do the Maori cultural experinces (real, not cabaret) are all absolutley blown away by it and fill their feedback with comments like (and i quote):

"Wow, I really hadn't understood what NZ is about until i did this, thank you sooo much"

"Fantastic, I am glad I didn't just go drinking and Bungee-Jumping"

"OMG!! This is a whole new world....you have changed me forever"

"I want to come back and live on a Marae"

People only claim that Maori is a minor part of NZ culture if they haven't explored it and are ignorant of the facts.

Springbok747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 15):

Quoting WorkFlyer (Reply 19):

Thanks for those suggestions guys  Smile

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 25):
The fact that the indegenous peoples have intermarried with the Pakeha to such an exxtent that "mixed marriages" or "mixed race" is no longer an issue, unlike the UK where it is a political badge and unlike the US where it is still frowned upon in certain areas.

Didn't know that about NZ.
אני תומך בישראל

workflyer

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 25):
My organisation has many exchange trips and those who do the Maori cultural experinces (real, not cabaret) are all absolutley blown away by it and fill their feedback with comments like (and i quote):

"Wow, I really hadn't understood what NZ is about until i did this, thank you sooo much"

"Fantastic, I am glad I didn't just go drinking and Bungee-Jumping"

"OMG!! This is a whole new world....you have changed me forever"

"I want to come back and live on a Marae"

People only claim that Maori is a minor part of NZ culture if they haven't explored it and are ignorant of the facts.

Brilliantly put Jafa.

I was going to include something along these lines in my earlier post on this thread but I could not think of a good way to put it, so I opted out and just said head to Rotorua to experience Maori culture.

Mari culture is definately worth exploring as part of a visit to NZ.

I was lucky to be at school in the Bay of Plenty 20 - 30 years ago which taught Maori language and culture (Albeit it on a small basis) as part of the main curriculum. To this day I use the greetings, (Which is more than just "Kia Ora") descriptions and conversational tools (Especially when a maori word fits better than an English one, e.g. Whanau, Hui, Kaumatua, Kaitiaki etc). So as part of an experience of being here the Maori culture part of a visit can be more than just a plastic tiki to hanging from your rear view mirror.

Speaking of Aboriginal culture in OZ. When I was last in Melbourne I saw a great exhibition at the museum about the Aboriginal people who populate the Yarra valley and how they interacted with whites in the early part of the 1800's. Very interesting indeed.

ZKSUJ

Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:44 am

Visit Queenstown and Milford sound while you are in the SI.

The rest of your activies really depends on your purpose of visit (ie scenery or thrill seeking etc etc...). There are things to do in both cases around the nation.

Quoting EK20 (Reply 14):
Anyone fancy giving me a tour of Wellington when I come

As far as I know, only 2 or 3 proud Wellingtonians here (who are constantly active) and 1 is in the States. When are you comming?

QANTASforever

Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:36 am

How's Wellington for a weekend getaway? Decent sites? I'm a fan of anything political, also museums, theatre etc. Good place for that?

No interest in driving around to vineyards or anything. I find that excessively dull.

QFF

aerorobnz

Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 29):
How's Wellington for a weekend getaway? Decent sites? I'm a fan of anything political, also museums, theatre etc. Good place for that?

About as good as it gets for New Zealand. It has all the political stuff to investigate, a good arts and culture scene(due to the high number of University graduates in the City) and a beautiful setting, and the National Museum of Te Papa. plus the advantage you can walk everywhere and enjoy the restaurants around Cuba St etc.
I'm a born and bred Aucklander, but I'm ashamed of how Auckland has turned out(compared to what it could be), when I go to Wellington. It feels more like a cosmopolitan city than Auckland

QANTASforever

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 30):
I'm a born and bred Aucklander, but I'm ashamed of how Auckland has turned out(compared to what it could be), when I go to Wellington. It feels more like a cosmopolitan city than Auckland

I really can't comprehend the negativity towards Auckland that almost every single New Zealander perpetuates. It's really quite a lovely city. Yes, it's somewhat smaller in size, but it's got a beautiful harbour, and the city centre looks really nice these days.

Can anyone shed light on this strange attitude?

QFF

kiwiinoz

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 31):
Can anyone shed light on this strange attitude?

Usually, it's the same as what happens in Australia with Sydney. The rest of the country is not huge on Auckland because it tends to dominate the country a bit, (nearly a third of the population there so it's only natural).

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 30):
but I'm ashamed of how Auckland has turned out(compared to what it could be)

I kind of agree with this though. A few years back, Auckland was developing so fast and really becoming an international city. In the last few years it's a bit stagnant. Local government there is quite negative and development and ambition now tends to get drowned in beauracracy.

I still love it though, and hopefully it will get back on the right track.

QANTASforever

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 32):
Usually, it's the same as what happens in Australia with Sydney. The rest of the country is not huge on Auckland because it tends to dominate the country a bit, (nearly a third of the population there so it's only natural).

Yes, but surely these people must realise that in order for a third of the national population to live there, it must be a good city in which to live?

Sounds like jealousy.

Can I just say, with a great amount of trepidation - whenever I'm in Auckland I get the impression I'm in a city that is desperately trying to emulate Sydney. Fair?

QFF

kiwiinoz

Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 33):
Sounds like jealousy.

As with the Sydney thing, there's a fair bit of truth in that. Probably not so much jealousy for the city itself, but jealousy for not being in the spotlight.

Can I just say, with a great amount of trepidation - whenever I'm in Auckland I get the impression I'm in a city that is desperately trying to emulate Sydney. Fair?

I think with the similarities, (although on a smaller scale), it is only natural that there will be some emulation of the things that Sydney has done well, (eg development of harbour precinct, etc) However overall, I don't think there is a braod strategy or desire to be a mini version of Sydney. For the few similarities there are plenty of diferences that give Auckland it's own identity, and the locals like this.

jafa39

Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:16 pm

Yes, but surely these people must realise that in order for a third of the national population to live there, it must be a good city in which to live?

Its a weather thing as much as anything, the Maori name "Tamaki Makaurau" means "Place of a hundred lovers" and refers to how, even before the Pakeha arrived, people were fighting over the place, its location, accessibility to both coasts and weather (no discernible winter) make it the choice of many.

Its current growth is a lot to do with immigrants who, coming from Europe mainly, are looking for a milder climate to their home country and therefore tend not to move to Invercargill or Dunedin.

There isn't a whole lot of job opportunties further up north although the weather is better still, so bearing in mind the need for most (european) migrants to have a job in order to be able to emigrate, the choice is limited.

whenever I'm in Auckland I get the impression I'm in a city that is desperately trying to emulate Sydney. Fair?

About as wrong as you can be, if you'd spent more time in NZ you would realise that emulating anything Australian is not very high on any Kiwi's list of ambitions.

Regarding Wellington, in itself it is not a bad place but it is let down by some of the neighbouring towns like Lower Hutt and Petone, both of which coud do with a makeover of epic proportions. They should have built Wellington on the Kapiti Coast, it has its own micro climate and some stunning beaches.

QANTASforever

Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:47 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 34):
For the few similarities there are plenty of diferences that give Auckland it's own identity, and the locals like this.

True, Sydney lacks a distinct Pacific culture. That is one major difference. However modern Auckland is starting to look an awful awful lot like Sydney. The area where the Americas cup was staged, for instance, is very reminiscent of Darling Harbour/Cockle Bay. No?

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 35):
About as wrong as you can be, if you'd spent more time in NZ you would realise that emulating anything Australian is not very high on any Kiwi's list of ambitions.

Jafa, I said "Sydney", not "Australia". There's a big difference.  Wink

So you honestly think that Auckland is developing in and of itself, with not even a cursory glance west?

jafa39

Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 36):
Auckland is starting to look an awful awful lot like Sydney. The area where the Americas cup was staged, for instance, is very reminiscent of Darling Harbour/Cockle Bay. No?

So you honestly think that Auckland is developing in and of itself, with not even a cursory glance west?

The answer to both these lie in the generic structuring of port cities, now that sea trade is not the only means of getting goods to a country and with high rise development as an inevitable part of any city's growth, you end up with tall buildings and a redeveloped waterfront...you'll find this the world over and in cities a whole lot older than Sydney.

AKL is less warm and smaller than SYD so the port area restricts development of the waterfront and the climate makes it less profitable but look at Docklands the world over and they tend to become poncey areas to eat and be entertained with expensive pokey apartments and flash restaurants. AKL and SYD do have similarities but they are likely to diverge over time.

Quite a few Jafa's find SYD too big and brash for their conservative Kiwi taste, preferring the ability to escape to the wilds very quickly. SYD trades on its Cosmopolitan Urban Charm, revelling in its inward looking psyche.....Auckland is all about being a bit low-key, with the exception of the CBD which is tiny....and it has an outward looking psyche, its imagery tends to be sea, sky, islands and pohutakawa trees.....all the things that are important to Maori and this still influences the city as a whole....and the whole country really.

melpax

Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:12 pm

However modern Auckland is starting to look an awful awful lot like Sydney

You're not wrong there, even the traffic & shit roads of Sydney seem to have been replicated in Auckland. And both cities have a very similar layout.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

QANTASforever

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 37):
The answer to both these lie in the generic structuring of port cities

I agree with the point you have made, however I'm not entirely convinced that Auckland has not at all been influenced by Sydney in any way. It's nothing to be ashamed of. We've taken inspiration from Downtown NY (look at Kings Cross for the Times Square similarities), south-west LA (Bondi & Northern Beaches), Oxbridge (Sydney University). There's nothing wrong with being inspired and "borrowing" stylistically from other cities.

Quoting Melpax (Reply 38):
You're not wrong there, even the traffic & shit roads of Sydney seem to have been replicated in Auckland

Geez, ring out Melbourne. We weren't talking about you.  Wink

QFF

bill142

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 37):

Quite a few Jafa's find SYD too big and brash for their conservative Kiwi taste

Is that jealousy because Sydney has the room to be big and brash  wink 

Springbok747
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 40):
Is that jealousy because Sydney has the room to be big and brash

Me thinks so too  Wink

Anyways..thanks for all the suggestions guys. We (our group) decided to spend some time in AKL, then fly down to CHC, then drive down to DUD, and spend more time there...then fly back to ADL via SYD (and maybe even bump into QFF  Wink )
אני תומך בישראל

Zkpilot

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:58 pm

Hmmmm, you'll be missing 75% of what NZ is about if you go avoiding the Maori Culture....you should be utterly ashamed to have made that remark...maybe you should just go to Howick and Nth Shore, spend your time with the Safa's and the Poms, wouldn't want anyone to rock your preconcieved notions of what makes New Zealand the wonderful place it is.

Well as one of the 85% of New Zealanders that isn't Maori I find your comment rather insulting! Are you saying that the vast majority of us don't have any culture and have nothing to contribute to tourism? Most people come here for the scenery and to have a fun time... Queenstown is the showpiece of New Zealand tourism... before Europeans came to New Zealand a couple of centuries ago, Queenstown was nothing at all it simply did not exist and the Maori peoples were for the most part fighting tribal wars amoungst themselves... hardly what New Zealand is about!...

As for NZ travel advice... as others have suggested, the South Island is definantly the more scenic part of the country and being winter it has a plenty to do.
If you want to go to Dunedin (Dun-e-din not Doon-din as some tourists mistake it for) then flying is probably better to do than driving to save yourself some valuble time. Personally I think its a nice city and fun partywise as its a University city, but otherwise there isn't much to it...
Queenstown is a must, Wanaka (just up the road an hour) is quieter and more scenic. I can recommend Milford Sound, Kaikoura, Wellington (if you have the time is kinda similar to San Fran in many ways).
An option could be to Fly into AKL look around maybe drive up north or down to Rotorua. Fly down to Wellington (if it appeals) and catch the ferry across to Nelson for the scenary and to look around. Drive to Kaikoura to look at the whales (or if not interested then fly straight down to Queenstown).
 Smile
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

jafa39

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 39):
I agree with the point you have made, however I'm not entirely convinced that Auckland has not at all been influenced by Sydney in any way.

That is because you are QFF and you are not genetically capable of agreeing with anyone  Wink

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 42):
Well as one of the 85% of New Zealanders that isn't Maori I find your comment rather insulting! Are you saying that the vast majority of us don't have any culture and have nothing to contribute to tourism?

Not saying there is no Pakeha culture but the Pakeha culture is influenced by Maori culture to a larger degree than most people think.

I just feel that to visit a country and ignore the idigenous culture is a bit of a dead-head mentality. If you look at the history of the "colonisation" of the Pacific and the dreadful treatment of the Pacific peoples by the christian missionaries you will see why i have a bit of a pro-Maori stance.......they are the only idigenous.....OK, one of the few idigenous peoples, to have had at least some success in reversing the abuses wrought by the european settlers.

And this is why the influence is so strong....I know we are all "Treaty Weary" but if you check out the disgusting abuses of said treaty by the Poms you'll begin to see that the Pakeha culture has been held in check by Maori and is gaining ground and influence.

In retaliation for death by guns and disease, we now face "death by hui" (hui = conference) although it even gets under my skin sometimes I can only applaud them for having the sense to grind us down by verbage and the odd assassination of a pine tree, rather than resorting to terror tactics like some other countries have to face up to.

With the growing political, cultural and environmental awareness of backpackers and tourists, Maori culture has a large part to play in the economic well-being of NZ, the landscape is a draw and that will always be so....but remember why some of that land is pristine....the first national park in NZ (Tongariro) was set up on land gifted back to the crown by Maori and they have been resisting expanding development in the region and this is why it so pristine.....there are other examples and the gifting of this area kick-started the national park process all over NZ.

So.....credit where credit is due, and be aware also that a recent decrease in Americans wanting to come in and make beaches private like they do in the states is down to the intractability of local iwi who refuse to allow this to happen.

More than one "inappropriate development" has been halted by Maori who have done more to keep NZ pristine (and attractive to tourists) than many people know.

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 43):
That is because you are QFF and you are not genetically capable of agreeing with anyone

My dear boy, contained within the comment you quoted was...

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 39):
I agree with the point you have made

I therefore disagree that I am disagreeable as I agreed with you earlier.

QFF

jafa39

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 44):
therefore disagree that I am disagreeable as I agreed with you earlier.

Indeed, you have however disagreed as to whether agreement is par tof your genetic vocabulary, which, if i hadn't just driven 5.5 hours non-stop (due to a/c not being able to land in NPE) I would twist your words still further but can't find the necessary brain-power  Wink

Anyway, who in their right mind would copy Sydney?....except for the semi-nekkid women!!!

QANTASforever

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 45):
Indeed, you have however disagreed as to whether agreement is par tof your genetic vocabulary

I disagree. I disagreed with the contention that I disagree, however if you agree to agree that disagreement is disagreeable I'm likely to agree.

Were you ever a civil servant too, old boy?

QFF

NZ107

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:05 pm

The area where the Americas cup was staged, for instance, is very reminiscent of Darling Harbour/Cockle Bay. No?

For the time of the Americas Cup, yes. Once Alinghi came in 2003 and took it, the place became quite dead.. So many apartments have been put up around that area. Darling Harbour is buzzling all the time and usually the Viaduct Harbour is fairly empty. It's mainly to do with the fact that the Viaduct is in the corner of the CBD and nothing lies to the west of it. Whereas Darling Harbour has the casino, shopping mall, imax complex, that park and those awesome water fountains, restaurants/bars etc. It has been designed much better.

Franz Josef is a great place for the extreme sportsperson. Climbing the glacier is fun.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 5):
I hope there is some snow in July.

20cm base now.. At least it's a start. Have you been out to the end of the Otago Peninsula? It's quite a nice drive and at the end is the Taiaroa Head Albatross colony. Albatrosses are massive birds with wingspans up to 3m.

Another must-do is the Speights Brewery tour, assuming you haven't done this already, and the Taeiri Gorge Railway.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

EK20

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:33 pm

Once in Wellington would it be better to hire a car (are they cheap?) or just to get the train?

VHVXB

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting EK20 (Reply 48):
Once in Wellington would it be better to hire a car (are they cheap?)

Yes get yourself a car. You can see alot more if you have a rental