HAWK21M
Topic Author

Time Travel - Opinions

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:54 pm

Is it possible to one day scientifically achieve time travel or will it always be a fantasy.Any research on this currently.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

LAXspotter

RE: Time Travel - Opinions

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:58 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Is it possible to one day scientifically achieve time travel

Would be interested if it happens, but i doubt it, then again I failed Physics......
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AeroWesty

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:11 pm

All you really need is a good choreographer:

International Homo of Mystery

ACDC8

Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:15 pm

I don't think it would be possible, the whole thought of parallel universes and all that is just to unimaginable. But if we could, my first and only stop will be the summer of 1990.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
But if we could, my first and only stop will be the summer of 1990.

Whats special about that time  Smile
regds
MEL

apuneger

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:47 pm

AFAIK it is possible, in theory at least, to go to the future, simply by taking a space capsule, travel at about the speed of light to eg the closest neighbour star and then returning to earth. You will have aged for ~9 years, but the earth and its inhabitants will have aged for a much longer time...Time is not an absolute thing, you know.

This is all theory of course and oversimplified, but it's interesting to think about it. AFAIK it is not possible, even in theory, to travel back in time (could be wrong however).

As an example, even if they should invent a 'consumer' time machine in the year 8058 that allows to go back in time, how comes nobody has ever reported seeing one in the past, or even today? Or wait a minute, could these be those disk-shaped things people tend to call UFO's?  Silly

Time travel, I'll never stop dreaming about it...

Best regards,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Braybuddy

Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:47 pm

If you think about it, it is obviously not going to be possible to travel back in time. If that were the case, we would be now swamped with tourists, paparazzi and plain busybodies from some future date.

Can you just imagine the number of people wanting to witness major historical events? Also, every year the number of people crowding into these events would add to the numbers already travelled from previous (and future) years. Even if it wasn't intended, the course of history would inevitably be affected by such time tourism.

seb146

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:40 am

I think nothing has been done about time travel because of one thing: What would happen if events had been changed and something far worse had happened? For example, if Hitler had never been born, would someone more dangerous taken control of Germany? What if, instead of hauling Jews, gays, and gypsies off to camps where some of them lived, they had simply bombed the ghettos and left them to suffer and die? What if, in stopping the morning of 9/11/2001, a far worse attack had happened later and a million or so died?

I don't think it would be possible because I believe time is linear. Space goes in all different directions and there are different sizes. This universe could just be a speck of dust floating in front of someone's window. But, I believe, no matter what size any universe is in, time is always linear and has only one dimension.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 6):
Even if it wasn't intended, the course of history would inevitably be affected by such time tourism.

That would be the biggest Drawback of Time travel if it was possible......People travelling back & forth & affecting the future.
regds
MEL

AeroWesty

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 7):
What would happen if events had been changed and something far worse had happened?

It's a costumer's nightmare:

IFEMaster

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:48 am

If you think about it, it is obviously not going to be possible to travel back in time. If that were the case, we would be now swamped with tourists, paparazzi and plain busybodies from some future date.

checkmark 

If time travel is at all possible, and the human race is to one day discover how to travel in time, then we'd already know about it. Why? Because our future generations will have already been back to tell us all about it.

The theory of relativity is nice, and holds a lot of weight when it comes to studies of this kind, but considering the caveat that Einstein insisted on when discussing the ability to travel through time was that you'd have to be traveling FASTER than light (not AT light speed), and considering that the speed of light is currently the generally accepted speed limit of the universe, it just ain't gonna happen.

Besides, I don't even want to think about the repercussions. Way too dangerous.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

EK20

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):

I can't believe that's Susan Sarandon!!

dc9northwest

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 7):
But, I believe, no matter what size any universe is in, time is always linear and has only one dimension.

Time is a single dimension in itself.

I do not believe it will ever be possible to travel in time. While an indirect time-travel, as explained previously, might become a possibility, it still takes an extremely long time just to go to the distant future, and will not become reality.

Going to the past is likely impossible completely, unless invisibility can also be achieved in humans, as we'd have noticed people in shiny gray suits from the year 3000 crowding before major historical events.

In essence, time travel would be a sort of teleportation, but not in the three regular dimensions, but in the fourth. So, until we can teleport things (which is being researched currently; they were able to teleport data apparently), it is unrealistic to think of time travel as a real possibility.

Another reason for which I believe time travel impossible is that at a certain time, the 3-D coordinates of a certain being are fixed by previous travels or just by existing. Thus, if one were to go back prior to birth, he/she would essentially become nothing, and if returning to a point following birth, he/she would be stuck in the same spot as previously, thus unable to have liberty in motion; I think this would make time travel unattractive, thus it will never happen, even if it is indeed possible.

Now, I have no idea whether anything I've said is true.

sean1234

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:48 am

It is not theory but law that you can slow your progess through time relative to another frame of reference by either entering a region of higher gravity or traveling at a faster speed.

Now traveling into the past is another issue.

sean1234

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 10):
If time travel is at all possible, and the human race is to one day discover how to travel in time, then we'd already know about it. Why? Because our future generations will have already been back to tell us all about it.

This is turning into philosophy, perhaps:

a: the human race never lasted long enough to discover how to do that
b: traveling into the past creates a new reality in and of itself and a new arrow of time, where you can get away with killing your father and still exist.

sean1234

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:55 am

Oh and lets not forget relativity is not the only jurisdiction governing the universe. Quantum mechanics says that light (photons) frequently oscillate around the speed of light, at higher and lower velocity.

IFEMaster

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:08 am

Guys, I think I've got it figured out...

808TWA

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting Sean1234 (Reply 14):
a: the human race never lasted long enough to discover how to do that

Or that this day and time was simply not interesting enough for anyone to return back to.....or they did and were locked away in an insane asylum. (K-Pax / 12-Monkeys)  Big grin
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

Boeing744

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:50 am

Obviously none of us on here will ever see time travel in our lifetimes, but I don't think anything should ever be completely ruled out. Think back to a year like 1900... What would people back then have said if we had told them that by the year 2007 people would be hurtling through the air at hundreds of kilometres per hour in big metal tubes, and be able to end up on the other side of the world in a matter of hours?  Wink

There are some things that humans can simply not comprehend or figure out (yet).

AeroWesty

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 16):

Now all you need is a DeLorean!

(Love your sig, BTW--and the flick it's from.)

IFEMaster

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):
Now all you need is a DeLorean!

There was one on eBay not so long ago, complete with 'working' time circuits and flux capacitor. IIRC, it sold for something like $70,000.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):
(Love your sig, BTW--and the flick it's from.)

Great flick. I toyed between the Ibiza line or "Oh...no no...you've always had that wrong about me. I really am this shallow."

David L

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:10 am

If that were the case, we would be now swamped with tourists, paparazzi and plain busybodies from some future date.

A point made by none other than Stephen Hawking. If that's good enough for him, I'm not going to strain my brain trying to prove him wrong.

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 18):
Think back to a year like 1900... What would people back then have said if we had told them that by the year 2007 people would be hurtling through the air at hundreds of kilometres per hour in big metal tubes, and be able to end up on the other side of the world in a matter of hours?

Think back to a year like 2003... What would people back then have said if we had told them that by the year 2007 people would not be able to hurtle through the air at over two thousand kilometers per hour in a small metal tube and be able to end up on the other side of the Atlantic in four hours, arriving before they'd left?  Smile

ACDC8

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):
Whats special about that time

Not so much what, more who ....  Wink

Here's another concept for a time machine ...

:D
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

USairways16BWI

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:06 pm

If humans could master time travel , it would be the end of our civilization as we know it. I admit, it is a very cool thing to think about, but its also a VERY bad idea IMO

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:32 pm

Any good time travel movies apart from"Back to the Future" & "Time Machine".
regds
MEL

allstarflyer

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 12):
Now, I have no idea whether anything I've said is true.

rotfl   silly 

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 24):
Any good time travel movies apart from"Back to the Future" & "Time Machine".

Besides Star Trek IV, I'd say Frequency with Quaid and Caviezel (although, it wasn't "time travel", but it was about a related concept), Terminator and T2 (not so much T3) and I'm sure others.

-R
Living the American Dream

scottieprecord

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:47 pm

While we're on a physics related question, there's something I've wondered for some time now... stumped the physics teacher. Although, that's not saying much. haha

The speed of light is roughly 300,000km/sec. But time for the particles traveling at the speed of light is slower relative to our time here on earth. So, from the particles point of view, they're travelling 300,000km in less than a second... meaning, they're actual speed is faster than what we consider to be the speed of light. My question: how is it possible to have a constant "speed of light" when the speed of light is determined by the amount of time an object takes to cover a certain distance (D/T), yet that amount of time is determined by the speed of the light. In other words, it's all relative. So.. How can a constant (300,000km/sec) "speed of light" exist?

And yes, I believe time travel is possible. Just not necessarily in the way we think about it today (ie the DeLorean)

-Mike

dc9northwest

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 26):
How can a constant (300,000km/sec) "speed of light" exist?

It's kind of hard to explain exactly, but that doesn't have to be the exact speed of light, just the speed of light as seen from earth. It's just "our perspective" relative to this matter

my 2 cents

Boeing744

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting David L (Reply 21):
Think back to a year like 2003... What would people back then have said if we had told them that by the year 2007 people would not be able to hurtle through the air at over two thousand kilometers per hour in a small metal tube and be able to end up on the other side of the Atlantic in four hours, arriving before they'd left?

rotfl 

doug_or

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:22 am

We should ask scotty. (not of reply 26)
When in doubt, one B pump off