I'm in the market for speakers (actually a whole new system) and started to read up and visit stores in my neighborhood. I thought a budget of $1,500 sounded reasonable. I actually don't listen to music a lot, but when the urge strikes, it would be nice to have a system that can do justice to a listening mix from Coltrane to Booker T to Pink Floyd. I also live in an apartment so the speakers have to sound good at lower volumes, and at these prices, the speakers also need to look sexy.
My first stop was Park Ave Audio, where I was steered to a pair of Definitive Technology and Dali tower speakers, and steered away from KEF and Gallo. They did look nice and sleek. I had bought a pair of Kirksaeter speakers there 20 years ago, but they no longer carry the brand. I didn't get a chance to do a listening test, as they need an appointment to do that.
I then proceeded to Lyric Audio, where I tried out Magneplan and the new B&W CM 7 floor standing speakers. The Magneplans were amazing, but were 6 feet tall and not as good on Bass. The B&W sounded muffled, even thought the salesperson raved about them. I told the salesman that I grew up in times when the JBL L100 and Bose 901s were the ultimate sound machines, but he dismissed them - Bose stood for 'Better Off Somewhere Else' he said.
My next stop was Audio Innovation and they were in the middle of a renovation. There I was steered to two very nice looking speakers - LINN and T+A (not kidding). The T+A were very expensive as they were built by rich Germans. But the design was just beautiful. I will go back and listen to them next week.
So, dear readers, some questions:
1. If you can't play your music loud, is it worth buying fancy speakers?
2. Are floor standing speakers better than bookshelf speakers on stands?
3. Why are German speakers so expensive? (rant, not a question, actually).
4. Can I get European speakers cheaper in Europe; if so where?
5. Is $1,500 a sensible number for a budget?
6. What's a good CD for auditioning speakers apart from Dark Side of The Moon?
7. Will getting a Home Theater system be an Audio compromise?
8. Finally - what speakers do you recommend?
PS: I did search Non-Av archives as a matter of due diligence.