iamcanadian

RE: NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri May 10, 2002 8:02 pm

Quoting An-225 (Reply 71):
Ryan Smith goes to Avalanche along with Scott Hannan. Finally the Avs are making some right moves.

praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise   praise 

I would be happy if the Avs didn't make any more moves this summer...the goalie situation will be handled NEXT year...
Shut up and calculate.

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:01 am

And go...................................

I keep hearing Drury to the Rangers (Kill me if that happens)

I also heard on XM today that one of the hosts heard from 2 souces in the Isles front office, that Wang will offer Smyth 50 Mill for 6 years. (I am hoping not but who knows with Wang)

airtran737

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:03 am

Detroit inked 45 year old Chris Chelios to a one year deal today. I love Chelios, I am glad to see that he keeps reaching into the fountain of youth.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:43 am

I'm hearing rumors of Ottawa trading Wade Redden to Edmonton for one of the Oilers' 3 1st round picks (They've got the #6 plus the #15 [from the Isles in the Smyth trade] and the #30 [From the Ducks for winning the Stanley Cup as one of the terms of the Pronger deal].) and an Oilers' player (Players mentioned in the rumor are Joffrey Lupul, Raffe Torres, and Ales Hemsky.).

The Oilers are also rumored to be planning to make a run at Scott Hartnell.

I've also heard rumors of the Leafs trading Bryan McCabe to the Isles (Pretty much the only team he has supposedly said he'd waive his NTC for) in order to free up some money to take a run at Ryan Smyth.

Quoting JFK69 (Thread starter):

I'm hearing the Sharks myself.

And word around the campfire is that Yashin wants to sign with the Habs.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a team other than the Sens sign Ray Emery to an offer sheet. While on the subject of Sens goalies, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to deal Martin Gerber.

Now for my own team, who really knows? There's a slim to none chance of re-signing Tkachuk (Not worth that 2008 1st Rounder since the '08 Draft is supposed to be a great one.), and more than likely, some of our UFAs will not be offered deals and replaced on the roster with a mix of free agent signings and prospects. There are at least four prospects who could seriously challenge for a roster spot at training camp including last year's #1 pick Bryan Little (Who after the OHL season ended signed and played for our AHL affliliate). There are several teams rumored to be interested in Slava Kozlov if he isn't signed before July 1 (Including a return to the Red Wings, but I think we'll re-sign him.). Comrie's name has been mentioned yet again as a potential signing (Supposedly, we've tried to deal for him in the past but the price was too high for him). We need someone to center Kovalchuk or Hossa and last years' Center-go-round showed the fans how important Marc Savard was for our snipers. I definitely think that Trader Don will make some sort of deal on Draft Day to get us a pick in the first two rounds. I also hope that they re-sign Dupuis, as I think he is a good fit.

CastleIsland

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:52 am

There's a rumour out there that the Bruins will be a good team next year...too bad it's only a rumour. gnasher 
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

geedo

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:31 am

What pattern of fabric will the Sens pick for their new skirts?  devil 
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 2):
And word around the campfire is that Yashin wants to sign with the Habs.

I forgot that I also heard he may look at Washington to center Ovechkin. Either way I do see him staying in the east.

Any word on where that overpriced ass Samsonov is going? They are really stuck with his 3.2 mill

DeltaRules

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Anybody know of any Jackets rumors? All I've seen since the end of the season was the entry level signings of a bunch of younger guys, no trade rumors. They're still knee-deep in the GM search, though, so that could be part of the reason (newer hockey fan here).
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 pm

You can kill me too....

I also heard on XM today that one of the hosts heard from 2 souces in the Isles front office, that Wang will offer Smyth 50 Mill for 6 years. (I am hoping not but who knows with Wang)

cut one ridiculous contract for another....

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

GQfluffy

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 2):
There are several teams rumored to be interested in Slava Kozlov if he isn't signed before July 1 (Including a return to the Red Wings,

Wonder what number he'll wear since Datsyuk is now wearing 13...

Anyone heard anything on Hasek or Joseph?
This isn't where I parked my car...

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:31 pm

Well, Moen and Parros will stay @ ANA:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...lug=txducksmoves&prov=st&type=lgns

Sundin resigned in TOR:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...=ap-leafs-sundin&prov=ap&type=lgns

Immonen and Lampman are probably heading back to Finland

Turgeon, according to the Denver Post, is retiring. Another one of the sports greats is gone  Sad

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6117474

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

iamcanadian

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:55 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 9):
Turgeon, according to the Denver Post, is retiring.

Another veteran figure leaves the Avs' dressing room... Sakic definitely has his work cut out for him in terms of his leadership role (as he has always had).

All I can hope for is that this signals an even greater need/opportunity to bring in some big names from the FA market (read: GET RID OF THEODORE! GET SOME DEFENSE!).
Shut up and calculate.

N1120A

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:13 pm

Well, Moen and Parros will stay @ ANA:

I think the most important Ducks news will be whether or not they resign Giguere
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

USAFHummer

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:57 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
I think the most important Ducks news will be whether or not they resign Giguere

Expect the Panthers to actively pursue him...from what I hear, he is #1 on our list of players to get this offseason...Belfour, while he was better than expected in goal for us this past year, has no long term future, given his age, and Auld isnt really ready to be a full time starter...so Jiggy's tops on the list to be lured to South Florida...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

N1120A

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 12):

Expect the Panthers to actively pursue him...from what I hear, he is #1 on our list of players to get this offseason...

Forget the Panthers. He carried the Ducks to another Cup final, and they won it this time. The Ducks need to keep him on.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

USAFHummer

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:09 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
Forget the Panthers. He carried the Ducks to another Cup final, and they won it this time. The Ducks need to keep him on.

Don't be too depressed when he ends up in a Panthers jersey next year...you got your Cup already
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:30 pm

mmonen and Lampman are probably heading back to Finland

Turgeon, according to the Denver Post, is retiring. Another one of the sports greats is gone

The rags never gave those 2 a real chance to prove themselves. I think they will blossom in Finland and not return anytime soon.

Turgeon was a true gentleman and he will be missed in this league.

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 8):

Wonder what number he'll wear since Datsyuk is now wearing 13...

Slava could always pull seniority on him (or flash those two Stanley Cup rings).....

I think it'll be a moot point, as I think he'd rather stay here in Atlanta, especially since if he re-signs with the Thrashers, he'll more than likely be wearing the C for us (He's one of the more senior players on the team, as he's been with them since 2002.). He's been a good mentor for Kovalchuk, and also to Dany Heatley after the car crash (Slava had a similar incident happen when he was playing in Russia early in his career).

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):

Giggy's going to stay in the area. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings went after him (Of course they'd have to figure out what to do in regards to Dan "Beachball" Cloutier), although they do seem to have a glut of netminders (Sean Burke, Cloutier, Garon and LaBarbera [Although he's the reason why some of the other guys are here since the Kings didn't want to risk losing him because he'd have to clear waivers if he would have been called up from the Monarchs last season.]). I doubt Lombardi will be able to find someone dumb enough to trade for Cloutier.

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 16):
I doubt Lombardi will be able to find someone dumb enough to trade for Cloutier.

Toronto?  duck 

Either way, more interesting news...

Preds looking more and more to Hamilton:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...ap-predatorssale&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hasek leaning towards return:

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...bf8-45d0-9501-16a07f60d3ce&k=65031

Allen stays in Florida, Carlyle in ANA:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...p-panthers-allen&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...ap-ducks-carlyle&prov=ap&type=lgns

Keenan is Calgary's new coach:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...ap-flames-keenan&prov=ap&type=lgns

piercey in CLE  Sad

senorcarnival

NHL Off-Season Thread

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:34 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 17):

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...=lgns

I thought he had some plum deal where he was a consultant for the Swedish Hockey Federation...
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:08 pm

Really didn't see that happening. I am curious to see how he and Iginla will interact. He has a tendancy to really ride his superstars.

GQfluffy

NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 19):
I am curious to see how he and Iginla will interact. He has a tendancy to really ride his superstars

After Iginla's loss of composure during the Flameout's embarrassment in Round one, he needs to be ridden a bit. Maybe he'll finally produce something worthy of that C he wears on his shoulder...

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 6):
They're still knee-deep in the GM search, though, so that could be part of the reason (newer hockey fan here).

Hawson Hired As Blue Jackets GM

Hawson was the assistant GM for the Oilers the past seven years, and we all know the up and downs of the Oilers during that time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...=lgns

How long will it take for him to demand to be made GM?

Preds looking more and more to Hamilton:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...ap-predatorssale&prov=ap&type=lgns

From what I heard this morning on NHL Live, Basillie probably wouldn't have to pay the Leafs and Sabres any sort of money for moving to Hamilton, as Hamilton lies outside of the 50 KM territorial boundaries (which is a circle) of both clubs. While Hamilton's 50 KM territory would overlap part of the Leafs' territory, the Hamilton Predators would probably draw fans away from the Sabres than they would the Leafs (Considering how pricey the Leafs tickets are, you'll probably have folks who will still be Leafs fans, but will also support the Preds [except when the two teams would play] since they'd have a better chance of getting season tickets but also less expensive tickets in general.)

I guess the Hamilton Bulldogs could move to Nashville.......

I don't like the prospect of the Preds moving one bit, and here's why (and yes, some of them are selfish):

1. Rivalry with the Thrashers. While the two clubs are in different conferences (Nashville's closer to Atlanta than Raleigh), the teams play quite a bit during the pre-season and have gotten a nice little rivalry going. If it does look like Nashville will be moving, I may have to make a road trip up to Nashville for the game we play against them this year (schedule should be announced the second week of July.).

2. Realignment. More than likely, the Thrashers will be the team sent against their will to the Western Conference since they are the furthest west team in the Eastern Conference. While we'd get put into the Central Division and have our division games at decent times, it's those road games against the Northwest and Pacific Division that would suck since many of those games would be 9 pm or later starts (with the exception of games against the Stars and Wild). Although the prospects of four home games against the Flames is interesting....... Here's how I think the realignment goes:

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division:
Devils
Rangers
Isles
Pens
Bruins

Northeast Division:
Senators
Leafs
Habs
Preds
Sabres

Southeast Division:
Hurricanes
Panthers
Flyers
Lightning
Capitals

I put the Flyers in the Southeast since they're the closest Eastern Conference team to Washington.

Western Conference:

Central Division:
Thrashers
Blackhawks
Blue Jackets
Red Wings
Blues

Pacific Division:
Ducks
Stars
Kings
Coyotes
Sharks

Northwest Division:
Flames
Avalanche
Oilers
Wild
Canucks

3. I don't like seeing teams move. Living in a town that saw it's original NHL team move after an ownership change, I feel bad for Nashville's fans if the team moves. While all of the NHL relocations in the 1990s was due to an ownership change, they all had the added factor of outdated arenas and the failure to secure deals for a new arena from local governments.

atct

NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:35 am

Personally Ive heard a rumor that the pens are gonna get revenge against the Sens!

Seriously I havent heard one rumor about the Penguins.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting ATCT (Reply 22):
Seriously I havent heard one rumor about the Penguins.

Yeah, the Pens have been quiet so far. Not like they need anything major, they got their core in place.

Either way, tonight has only 3 items of interest:

Senators try to ship Gerber:

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2007/06/14/4259367-sun.html

Gratton goes back to Tampa for second round pick:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/79025

Crosby wins Hart in landslide:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...lug=ap-nhlawards&prov=ap&type=lgns

piercey in CLE  Sad

us330

NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:17 pm

Alot of teams want Giguere--mainly because he's the top goalie in a very slim goalie free agent market. Realistically, however, only two teams have a shot at him---the Ducks and the Kings. If either team's offer is even close to his perceived market value, he'll go with that team. Giguere has said that he wants to return to Anaheim, as he feels like the ducks have the chance to be serious contenders for at least the next couple of years.
The biggest reason, however, why he will stay in southern california is because of his son. Giguere's son was born right at the start of the playoffs, and he was born with a deformed right eye that required surgery. Staying in Southern California means that he keeps his family near his son's doctors.

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:52 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 24):
Staying in Southern California means that he keeps his family near his son's doctors.

Well, Vegas is near SoCal, maybe he'll go there  duck 

In all seriousness, I forgot all about that. Maybe Pheonix?

Either way, here are the rest of the NHL season awards from tonight:

Hart, Pearson: Crosby (no surprise)
Vezina: Brodeur (no surprise, sorry nucks fans)
Norris: Lidstrom (I thought Pronger)
Selke: Brind'Amour (no surprise)
Calder: Malkin (no surprise)
Adams: Vigneault (bull, Ted Nolan should have gotten this)

piercey in CLE  Sad

GQfluffy

NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 25):
Norris: Lidstrom (I thought Pronger)

I'm not all that surprised. If Lidstrom didn't get it, I would've figured Niedermayer would be next in line...

Quoting Piercey (Reply 25):
Hart, Pearson: Crosby (no surprise)

Does anyone else just....I don't know....don't think this kid is all he is cracked up to be? Is he good? Yes. Is he great? I guess I just don't think so. Is he going to be one of the greatest? Obviously too early to tell. I just get the vibes that he's a tad bit overrated...

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 26):

Does anyone else just....I don't know....don't think this kid is all he is cracked up to be? Is he good? Yes. Is he great? I guess I just don't think so. Is he going to be one of the greatest? Obviously too early to tell. I just get the vibes that he's a tad bit overrated...

Well I have him to thank for this picture:

Crosby got sent to the box and on the ensuing PP, Kovalchuk scored and pointed at Sid the Kid afterwards. I've got a autographed and framed and matted version of it hanging up over my computer desk.

Crosby's talented, no doubt about it. Is he the second coming of Gretzky or Lemieux? Based on his first two seasons, he's got a good chance of surpassing Mario as the greatest Pens player ever, and could definitely make a run for some of Gretzky's records.

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:20 am

The kid has shown immense talent. Once he gets away from the label of being a diver and cry baby we will really see Crosby rip this league apart. I have seen him play live almost 10 times in the last 2 seasons, and I truly believe he is the real deal.

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 28):
I have seen him play live almost 10 times in the last 2 seasons, and I truly believe he is the real deal.

I've seen him live once during his rookie season, but he didn't factor at all in the game as they were shut out 5-0. The only Pens player I was watching was Mario. I finally got a chance to see him play after all these years and it saddened me to see him play the way he did that last season.

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:56 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 29):
I finally got a chance to see him play after all these years and it saddened me to see him play the way he did that last season

I loved Mario and was lucky enough to see him many times as well. I always fight with my friends about this but I say that if he stayed healthy he could have broken (or come close) to Howes record. don't think he could have beaten gretzky though.

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 23):
Yeah, the Pens have been quiet so far. Not like they need anything major, they got their core in place.

Just a thought, but what about the Pens trying to pick up Scott Hartnell? Pens GM Ray Shero was formerly the Assistant GM of the Preds so he's quite familiar with him......

atct

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:05 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 31):
Just a thought, but what about the Pens trying to pick up Scott Hartnell?

Sounds awesome to me!

Anywho Sid will do well. With some more seasoning (he's pretty experienced for being what, 19?) he'll be a great player.

Obviously Lemiuex and the hang trust him enough to make him Captain.

On the #66 side of the house...I was at a game against the Flyers...We were down 3-0 in the middle of the 3rd. Lemieux takes the drop in their end....BAM right into the net. They came back to win it 5-3. He was a great player (personally I think he was one of the greatest...if not THE greatest...here come the Gretzky fans to chew me up lol...)

ATCT

Die-Hard Penguins Fan
Pittsburgh Native
Trikes are for kids!

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 32):
here come the Gretzky fans to chew me up lol

I'll back you up with the Gretzky folks. I happened to think he was a great player but a huge pussy. I would take Lemieux or Howe anyday.

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 33):
I'll back you up with the Gretzky folks. I happened to think he was a great player but a huge pussy. I would take Lemieux or Howe anyday.

If it wasn't for the health and injury issues, Lemieux would definitely have had numbers comparative to Gretzky. The year the Pens first won the Cup (1990-91), he played about as many games during the regular season as he did in the playoffs and put up similar scoring numbers. His two worst seasons prior to the first retirement were seasons shorted by injuries (90-91 and 93-94.). He missed close to a fourth of the 1992-93 season (When he was out for Hodgkin's treatment) and still won the scoring title that season. And he sat out the lockout-shortened 1995 season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=3105

Gretzky was in the prime of his career around the time Lemieux was drafted. While he was still putting up great numbers in the early 90s and was vying for the Art Ross, by that point, Lemieux was in his prime. Here's something to think about, from 1981 until 2001, only three players from two teams won the Art Ross Trophy. Gretzky (10 times), Lemieux (6 times), and Jagr (5 times). Since 2002, a different player has won it each season (Iginla in 2002, Forsberg in 2003, St. Louis in 2004, Thornton in 2006, and Crosby this season).

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2035

blink182

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:46 am

I think the trouble with Lemieux, as has been discussed, was that he was so oft-injured and faced health problems. Gretzky played out a full career, and he never faced the distractions that stared down Lemiuex. Granted, IMO, Gretzky very much earned his "Great One" moniker. Like it or not, Gretzky did put up extremely impressive numbers during his illustrious career. Elsewhere, I think Crosby has lived up to his hype, and considering the attention the teenager has recieved, I'm surprised how well he has handled himself. I can't wait to see what a grittier, more mature Crosby can do.

Onwards, I'm surprised the question of Teemu Salanne's possible retirement hasn't come up.
Salanne won his Cup and retiring on top would be a great capstone for him, but Salanne was not merely an overseeing veteran on this Anaheim squad, he led that team in grit and points on the ice. Part of me really believes that he still has a few years left in the tank.

Speaking of Anaheim, what will the Ducks do about Bryzgalov? The guy can start on just about any other team in the NHL. Does anyone think that he may be good trade bait? Obviously the Giguere question will need to be answered first. Does anybody know how far apart Staples Center and Honda Center are from each other? Personally, I just don't see Jiggy in a Kings uniform. Admittedly I'm not a Ducks fan, but I give props to Brian Burke's and Randy Carlyle's abilities to run a well oiled team.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Alright, getting off of the eternal hockey debate (btw, Lemieux. Gretzky ended dynasties  Sad ), only one bit of big news tonight:

Lewis fired as coach of Boston (Their looking @ the wrong position, their GM needs to go):

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...=ap-bruins-lewis&prov=ap&type=lgns

piercey in CLE  Sad

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 36):
Lewis fired as coach of Boston (Their looking @ the wrong position, their GM needs to go):

Mad Mike may strike again.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06162007...ab_milbury_sports_larry_brooks.htm

"June 16, 2007 -- The Madness appears to be on the verge of returning to the NHL, once again in Boston and once again behind the bench.

Sources have told The Post that mercurial Mike Milbury, who two weeks ago left his ceremonial front-office position with the Islanders, has interviewed for the Bruins' head-coaching position. He is in line to replace Dave Lewis, who seemingly out of nowhere was dismissed yesterday, 10 weeks after completing the first season of a four-year contract."

KL642

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:24 am

I heard that the league will add two expansion teams, in Kansas City and Las Vegas.

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting KL642 (Reply 38):
I heard that the league will add two expansion teams, in Kansas City and Las Vegas.

Everyone and their mothers have heard that.

Either way, this will happen, I can see expansion, but please change the Cities to Winnipeg and Quebec City. I know they're small markets, but big market does not equal big $$$ (see Los Angeles Rams/Raiders vs. Green Bay Packers)

As far as Boston and mad Mike: That wouldn't surprise me. But first Boston needs to can their GM.

piercey in CLE  Sad

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Well, interesting bit of news tonight. Blackhawks get Samsonov from Montreal for Cullimore and Salmelainen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...-blackhawkstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

IMO, good trade for the Hawks. But interesting bit of rumor from TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211004&hubname=

Quote:
Cullimore, who played 52 games for Montreal in the mid-1990s, is set to earn $1.9 million next season and the Canadiens say they have agreed to buy out his contract.

Salmelainen earns $750,000 next year and the team says his situation will be evaluated in the coming weeks.

Making room for Yashin?  duck 

piercey in CLE  Sad

n710ps

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:28 pm

I want to see the rumors that Satan is leaving go away. It keeps popping up around my circles. I call bullshit on it though.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:01 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 41):
I want to see the rumors that Satan is leaving go away. It keeps popping up around my circles. I call bullshit on it though.

Same. We won't cut him, and not many teams could take his 4.5 mil contract for next year (FA after next season)

Here's the Islanders financial situation, rest of the teams are @ the top

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyi.html

Campoli (RFA), Hill, Poti, Zednik, Robitaille, Smyth, Asham, Hunter (RFA), and Blake are the noticeable FAs.

I see Campoli, Zednik, Smyth, and Hunter back, but I don't know about the rest...

piercey in CLE  Sad

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:17 pm

Quoting KL642 (Reply 38):

Expansion to 32 teams is more than likely to occur in the 2010-2012 time frame and this is also around the time the next CBA will be ratified as well. Whether it'll be Las Vegas (Who don't even have an NHL-level arena in town. While minor league teams have played at the Thomas & Mack Center in the past, the arena isn't set up properly for hockey, plus they lack luxury suites.) or Kansas City (There was a poll taken in K.C. on what league folks would like to see in K.C. and the NHL ran away with the poll with 75%) or somewhere else (Houston, Portland, Winnipeg), the league will definitely be going to 32 teams.

I also wouldn't be surprised if in this time frame, an NHL Europe starts to form.

exFATboy

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 23):
Gratton goes back to Tampa for second round pick:

woohoo! That's good news! Now if the Bolts can firm up in goal...

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 26):

Have to agree, he's overrated - he's more the second coming of Eric Lindros that Gretzky or Lemieux.

Heh...reminds me of when I lived in Tampa - fans would start chanting "OV-ER-RA-TED (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)" every time Lindros went on the ice. The fact that - barring a miracle in Dallas this year - that Lindros' name will never be on Lord Stanley's Cup makes me intensely happy. (I do feel for the guy on the ongoing concussion issue, though, and even more for his brother, who had to quit playing - but last I heard he was happy coaching.)

[Edited 2007-06-17 15:34:36]

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 42):

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyi.html

Great link. This guy gets his numbers off of a guy who is a moderator on the hockey forum I post on.

Based on that site, the Thrashers have 12 guys under contract, and four of those are guys who spent nearly the entire season with the Chicago Wolves (Krog, Haydar, and Popovic did get called up at some point during the season while Brathwaite was our goalie insurance policy after the goalie-go-round we had in 05-06). Popovic has a good chance of being on the team next season, as it is expected that we'll only re-sign our RFAs defensemen (McCarthy and Exelby) and probably one or none of our UFAs (Sutton, De Vries, Hnidy). Six of our current Top 10 prospects (Popovic is our top-rated D prospect) are D-men, and some may be NHL-ready (Tobias Enstrom [MoDo] recently inked a deal with the club [who drafted him in '03 and risked losing his rights on June 1. Boris Valabik ). Looking at our UFA forwards, some are definitely not returning (Mellanby, Tkachuk), others likely (Dupuis, Belanger, hopefully Kozlov), others, who knows (Vigier, Larsen, Boulton, Sim). We only have 2 RFA forwards (Slater and MacKenzie), and I think that Slater will be re-signed to a one-way deal with MacKenzie getting a two-way (if re-signed at all). This is also where Krog and Haydar come in as well. Both players have one-way deals for next season, and could fill in holes on the third or fourth line. At least our goalies are locked in through next season (Our top ranked prospect is a goalie, Ondrej Pavelec, who could be ready to step in as a back up in 08-09 and could definitely step in and be a starter down the road [Provided we don't trade him].).

We start taking some serious $$$ hits this upcoming season, as Hossa will be getting $7 million (This upcoming season is a contract season for him), and while Kovalchuk's salary goes up to $5.5 million (From $5 million), come the 08-09 season, it skyrockets up to $7.5 million. While the salary cap will continue to go up, the Thrashers may try to lock in some younger talent (Guys like Little, at cheaper rates to be able to afford to try to re-sign Hossa after this season and still be able to work his salary in with Kovlachuk's come the 08-09 season (Kovalchuk will be a UFA after the 09-10 season). .

jfk69

NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 42):
Same. We won't cut him, and not many teams could take his 4.5 mil contract for next year (FA after next season)

Unfortunately he isn't going anywhere. Way to much money for anyone to touch him. After watching him for a few seasons now I understand what Sabres fans meant when they said he just goes away. Very one dimensional player who can put up a big numbers.....but really dosen't.

I have heard on the rumor boards that Adam Foote may be on the Isles wishlist. I think he is a bit expensive but to see him play with Witt would be quite fun. I personally was very impressed with Tom Preissing from Ottawa and would love to make a run at him.

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 46):
I personally was very impressed with Tom Preissing from Ottawa and would love to make a run at him.

So would a lot of teams as he'd be cheap pick up, probably no more than $1.25-1.5 million a season (This past season for the Sens he was making $600,000.). I could see a team locking him in for 4 years, $7 million ($1.25, 1.5, 2, 2.25). Even by the third or fourth season, he'd be a bargain as a top 4 d-man.

piercey

NHL Off-Season Thread

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 47):
I personally was very impressed with Tom Preissing from Ottawa and would love to make a run at him.

So would a lot of teams as he'd be cheap pick up,

Something tells me he'll get an inflated contract, though. So many teams want him...

Unfortunately he isn't going anywhere. Way to much money for anyone to touch him. After watching him for a few seasons now I understand what Sabres fans meant when they said he just goes away. Very one dimensional player who can put up a big numbers.....but really dosen't.

Satan I don't mind that much, not as much as Yashin.

piercey in CLE  Sad